• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda, Obsidian Announce Fallout: New Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Ikuu said:
Hopefully the combat isn't complete garbage this time.

And the weapon degradation system has to go too. I hate trying to save multiple copies of a weapon just to keep fixing it. Just do what demon's souls did and give out weapon repair kits from time to time and don't reduce damage just because it's not at full repair.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BattleMonkey said:
Theres nothing that can be done to FO's shooting to make it any better, it's a RPG which is what is going to always keep the shooting feeling awkward if your playing it like a FPS.

Bullshit

BattleMonkey said:
Theres nothing that can be done to FO's shooting to make it any better, it's a RPG which is what is going to always keep the shooting feeling awkward if your playing it like a FPS.
being an RPG has nothing to do with it, it's the same kind of mentality that lead to tank controls on survival horrors becoming a trend; the only reason Infogrames even used those was because no one knew how to do it right back then

So anyone know when the next issue of OXM hits the newstands? I'm really excited for any news or screens for this game and I may just pick this issue up. Which is funny cuz I haven't bought a gaming mag in a very long time and I don't even own a 360. :lol

Ventrue

Pitch Black Flint said:
So anyone know when the next issue of OXM hits the newstands? I'm really excited for any news or screens for this game and I may just pick this issue up. Which is funny cuz I haven't bought a gaming mag in a very long time and I don't even own a 360. :lol

Feb 11, the website says.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Nirolak said:
So supposedly Oscuro is working on this: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_...Oblivion_modder_working_on_Fallout:_New_Vegas

I'm not sure why Ausir uses the Wiki as his blog, but he usually does get his hands on lots of interesting Fallout information.

Woah, excellent news. Though a combination of mods is ideal, OOO is the single biggest and most important mod for fixing the horrible broken vanilla Oblivion. Obsidian having his talents for Fallout New Vegas makes the project all the more promising.

Radogol

Nirolak said:
I'm not sure why Ausir uses the Wiki as his blog, but he usually does get his hands on lots of interesting Fallout information.

It's not like he ever writes about the ice-cream he had. The Vault is a wiki/news site under his guidance and I see nothing wrong with that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Radogol said:
It's not like he ever writes about the ice-cream he had. The Vault is a wiki/news site under his guidance and I see nothing wrong with that.
Oh no, by saying that I just meant that it wasn't a random wiki page that anyone could have edited, but rather comes from a reputable source, since some people might get a bit confused by a wiki link for a news story if they haven't seen the site a lot.

BeeDog

This is me right now:
28cgcqb.gif

Great news, hopefully this is a clear sign of them ditching the annoying enemy-levelling system in Fallout 3 (which was still 100 times better than the one in Oblivion).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Alpha-Bromega said:
spiritual successor to Brotherhood of steel?
:lol

What? Could you explain this to me better cause I'm not following the logic (if there even is any?)

Radogol

Nirolak said:
Oh no, by saying that I just meant that it wasn't a random wiki page that anyone could have edited, but rather comes from a reputable source, since some people might get a bit confused by a wiki link for a news story if they haven't seen the site a lot.

Oh, sorry. Bro-hug?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
StateofMind said:
I want TESV...

I tried real hard to like Fallout, I just can't. I never did get rid of it though.

I'm hoping TESV isn't the rumored MMORPG, Bethesda pulling a Final Fantasy on us.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
StateofMind said:
I want TESV...

I tried real hard to like Fallout, I just can't. I never did get rid of it though.

Ok, well this isnt Fallout 4 so its not a dev conflict with TESV.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
BlueTsunami said:
I'm hoping TESV isn't the rumored MMORPG, Bethesda pulling a Final Fantasy on us.
ZeniMax registered a bunch of websites for "Elder Scrolls Online" and "The Elder Scrolls Online" so it's fairly likely that the MMO won't be called TESV.

HK-47 said:
What? Could you explain this to me better cause I'm not following the logic (if there even is any?)

what. just poking fun at our hope for a refined fallout game with the possibility that it could end up being shitty like Brotherhood of steel. didn't think i would have to explain that...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Alpha-Bromega said:
what. just poking fun at our hope for a refined fallout game with the possibility that it could end up being shitty like Brotherhood of steel. didn't think i would have to explain that...

But why would we expect that when plenty of these guys worked on Fallout 2 and Van Buren and no game Obsidian has made is near the awful crap that BoH was.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Llyranor said:
Well, compared to Bethesda Softworks' Fallout 3, any other Fallout game would feel like Brotherhood of Steel.
Unfortunately the game that was posed to be the true masterpiece of the Fallout series, the multiplayer section of Fallout Extreme, was canceled.

It would have been almost as amazing a revolution as X-COM to X-COM Enforcer, removing all that crazy planning stuff and going for such classics as Team Deathmatch.

Though in reality the game had some really neat ideas for the singleplayer, but just randomly changing the whole thing to a third person shooter with Team Deathmatch and Capture The Flag always struck me as hilarious.

Minsc

Gold Member
Awesome news for Oscuro, his devotion and generosity to making Oblivion a much better game was ever much appreciated, he had a very friendly helpful personality in his threads on TES forums, glad to read he's still around, with his help, things will only be improved!

bjork said:
Posts like this are what making the gaming side so lolworthy.

well isnt that what fallout 3 is on ps3? never played F3 on consoles, but usually a bethesda games needs a plethora of fan mods, and patches to get to a decent level.

ZombieSupaStar said:
well isnt that what fallout 3 is on ps3? never played F3 on consoles, but usually a bethesda games needs a plethora of fan mods, and patches to get to a decent level.
I played 360 and it was a broken mess.

But a fucking amazing broken mess. That's the important part.

bjork

ZombieSupaStar said:

I played 360 one, and it was fine to me. But I sit down and play a game to enjoy it for what it is, not pick it apart like some beardstroking snob.

TheUsual

Gold Member
bjork said:
I played 360 one, and it was fine to me. But I sit down and play a game to enjoy it for what it is, not pick it apart like some beardstroking snob.

Agree to this. I have it on PC, some of the mods were fun to use, but I didn't feel the need to use them. Well, the mod that slowed down weapon degradation was a nice one to use. That was one thing that bothered me about the game, the weapons degraded to fast for my taste.

AshMcCool

TheUsual said:
Well, the mod that slowed down weapon degradation was a nice one to use. That was one thing that bothered me about the game, the weapons degraded to fast for my taste.

Very true. Betheda does a lot for making their games less fun and more work, but Fallout 3 was fun nonetheless. Oblivion not so much, at least not for me.

bjork said:

well when you're able to fall though parts of the map on the pitt dlc because its collision detection is unstable being loaded into ram all at once, people should vent.

RobertM

ZombieSupaStar said:
well when you're able to fall though parts of the map on the pitt dlc because its collision detection is unstable being loaded into ram all at once, people should vent.
But that's DLC and should be judged separately from the core experience of the released game. I loved the game just as I loved Oblivion, but that's not to say that I didn't like some of the aspects of it.

The main game was just as buggy as the DLC, though. I got stuck on objects countless times and had to reload my previous save etc.

It's a testament to the game that I put 70/80 hours into it in that state. It did so many things right that I was willing to overlook the severe lack of polish.

I never encountered any major bugs on the PS3 version, other than having to put up with a poor draw distance and weak AA. On the other hand, I experiences many ctd's when playing it on my PC. On both versions, the few problems left in there by the developers were far from deserving of 'buggy' and 'broken mess' descriptors.

Anyway, this is a day one for me, particularly because I think Obsidian have a better handle of the dark humour and 50s kitschiness of the Fallout universe.

bonesmccoy said:
I never encountered any major bugs on the PS3 version, other than having to put up with a poor draw distance and weak AA. On the other hand, I experiences many ctd's when playing it on my PC. On both versions, the few problems left in there by the developers were far from deserving of 'buggy' and 'broken mess' descriptors.

Anyway, this is a day one for me, particularly because I think Obsidian have a better handle of the dark humour and 50s kitschiness of the Fallout universe.

:lol I can't believe there's any debate as to the instability of this game. I played the game on PS3 until I just couldn't progress any further due to frequent, unavoidable hard crashes and unbearable drops in frame rate. Couldn't finish Broken Steel or any of the DLC.

Then I bought the PC GotY version, hoping for a more stable game. That went well, the occasional ctd notwithstanding, up until I completed the main quest and most of the DLC. Point Lookout would crash every time I got off the boat. And after a certain point in Broken Steel, it just wouldn't let me save any more. Crashed every time. I tried all the official and unofficial patches I could find. Nothing helps. Finally, I just stopped playing.

I'm not resentful though. I still had a great time with the game and I'm looking forward to whatever else they have planned for the series. But 'buggy' and 'broken mess' are understatements compared to what I went through to play this game.

szaromir

Banned
There were two Brotherhood of Steel games, I only played the PC one and I wouldn't compare it to neither F1&2 nor F3. Or superficial levels BoS is similar to 1&2 (2D, isometric view etc.), but it's a different, tactics game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I hope this game has writing on par with 3. It really helped suck me into the world. I mean, its no ME2 but it probably a solid second.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
I hear you. But I just know Obsidian will mess this up by writing like they have some understanding of how human beings actually interact.

bengraven

Holy FUCK at all the hate.

I loved all three games: they each were what they were. 1 and 2 were masterpieces 3rd person perspective/isometric western RPGs and Fallout3 was a masterpiece in the Oblivion free-roaming/fps-rpgs.

Dennis

Banned
bengraven said:
Holy FUCK at all the hate.

I loved all three games: they each were what they were. 1 and 2 were masterpieces 3rd person perspective/isometric western RPGs and Fallout3 was a masterpiece in the Oblivion free-roaming/fps-rpgs.
There are people that hate on Fallout? Thats crazy talk :lol

There have been exactly three Fallout games: 1,2 and 3 - and they are indeed all masterpieces.

These three game have established a very unique gameworld with a flavor and atmosphere all its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom