• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda, Obsidian Announce Fallout: New Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

h0l211

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23276

Bethesda Softworks announced that Obsidian Entertainment is developing a brand-new Fallout game titled Fallout: New Vegas, to release next year on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Gamasutra was at Bethesda's event in London to hear the game announced by marketing and PR VP Pete Hines, who provided few specifics on the game's engine, gameplay or perspective -- but did note the game's neither a Fallout sequel nor a spin-off.

"It's not Fallout Tactics -- it's not Brotherhood Of Steel," said Hines. "It has no impact on what [Fallout EP] Todd Howard and his guys are planning."

A number of Obsidian staff are veterans of Black Isle's original Fallout games. "We've really been enjoying working with [Obsidian] on it," Hines said.

"That is all we're going to say about it right now," he added.

voltron

Im so confused.

Im concerned that Bethesda isnt developing it. At least Obisid are OG though I guess.

S'pose this could be interesting.

Zhuk

Banned
Now this is a megaton, Obsidian one of my favourite devs out there and former Black Isle guys working on Fallout again?! as long as they make an RPG it shall be very good!

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
If it plays like Fallout 3 then I'll buy it. Hope BethSoft doesn't pull any console exclusive content nonsense this time though because I was disappointed at not being able to play the pitt on my PS3.

voltron

Im assuming it will be exactly the same engine and tech, in 1st person. Probably been working on for a couple years.

ghostmind said:
Wondering if this will this be like a KOTOR2 situation, where Oblivion develops on top of the Fallout 3 engine?
Well, Obisidan never had a in-house engine, they always used someone's else tech and upgraded from it. So, yeah I think it's the same hre.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
After Fallout 3 I'm far from convinced. If Bethesda keep chefs away from the pot then good, if not;

4tmsy9.png

Let it begin.

Llyranor

Heh, it'd be funny if they work some of Van Buren's design into this one (both Avellone and Sawyer - who were lead designer at one point or another of that project - are at Obs).

Bethesda involvement better just be the game's title :mad:

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Loved Fallout, loved Fallout 2, loved Fallout 3, liked the DLC, KOTOR 2 was pretty decent, NWN2 is awesome, Alpha Protocol looks great. Can't wait!

Prime crotch said:
Well, Obisidan never had a in-house engine, they always used someone's else tech and upgraded from it. So, yeah I think it's the same hre.

Not to mention its coming out for the 360 and the PS3 so those people salivating at the idea of playing old school isometric fallout are probably deluding themselves. No problem for me since I like the engine changes for Fallout 3.

My only concern is that they have enough time. We don't want this turning into a KOTOR 2 situation.

shuri

Banned
The desert settings will be interesting. I'd love a Mad Max vibe from this one. I want broked-down vehicules and THE THUNDERDOME! :D

Mamesj

Banned
Median said:
Whoa...any chance this one'll play turn based?

yep, it'll also be isometric view

'cause Bethesda feels really bad about fallout 3 and want to make it up to the 5 people who were really angry that it wasn't faithful to the original two games

pakkit

Banned
voltron said:
Im so confused.

Im concerned that Bethesda isnt developing it. At least Obisid are OG though I guess.

S'pose this could be interesting.
I'm happy Bethesda isn't developing it!

Mamesj said:
yep, it'll also be isometric view

'cause Bethesda feels really bad about fallout 3 and want to make it up to the 5 people who were really angry that it wasn't faithful to the original two games
You're entitled to your opinion. Plenty of people felt that Fallout 3 didn't stay true to its namesake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom