• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda, Obsidian Announce Fallout: New Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Over/under on this being better than the Bethesda developed Fallouts? Probably a sure bet.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mamesj said:
yep, it'll also be isometric view

'cause Bethesda feels really bad about fallout 3 and want to make it up to the 5 people who were really angry that it wasn't faithful to every quality Fallout game prior and a franchise design staple.

Fixed it for you.

Echoes

Wow, that came out from nowhere. I'm pretty excited, actually. I do love Obsidian; NWN2 and the expansions are excellent WRPGs.

Median

Mamesj said:
yep, it'll also be isometric view

'cause Bethesda feels really bad about fallout 3 and want to make it up to the 5 people who were really angry that it wasn't faithful to the original two games

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Fallout 3, and I'm nowhere near angry that it wasn't turn based and isometric. I just think that the way they're positioning it as something separate from Bethesda's Fallout might suggest a different play style. I'd honestly be willing to play that kind of game, assuming Bethesda were still making the more Elder Scrolls-esque type game.

Wollan

Fallout 3 is one of the stiffer game experiences I've recently tried (well, among titles we can consider as decent+).
I'm not personally interested until they re-haul the general animation system and facial/emotion system. The game feels very artificial.
This is also Obsidians greater technical weakness as well (in regards to their recent games, not story telling), they need to evolve.

jjasper

2wqhm5e.gif

Combine

Banned
Seriously, this is truly the epitome of being "fucking awesome!" Especially in the wake of what happened with the "Fallout" from Sega and cancelling the Alien RPG, and should help the company stay afloat. :D

One thing most people agree on was that the writing and story of Fallout 3 was probably the main con of the game. And thankfully if there's one thing that Obsidian can do properly, it is to churn out a great story (see NWN2 and expansions, especially MotB). Hopefully development should go smoothly if they intend to use the Fallout engine. Of course, I suppose many would be equally thrilled if they built a new engine for traditional isometric gameplay, but, then again building a game engine and getting it to run properly (especially at launch) has probably been the one area where Obsidian has had difficulty.

Oh yeah, bring back Goris the talking Deathclaw monk. :D

Datrio

Fallout in Vegas?

ALL OVER MY FACE

duckroll note: <do not post NSFW crap on GAF, and stop using this stupid ALL OVER MY FACE/ALL OVER MY TITS/ALL OVER MY ANYTHING meme. It's disgusting and childish.>

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Shins said:
hey are the clouds made of marshmellows in fantasy land can you eat the ground?

What? My statement was completely true. Prior to Fallout 3, every quality Fallout game was isometric. Outside of one or two games, Fallout games in general were isometric. This made it a design staple easily recognised with the franchise. It's not fantasy, its fact.

If changes are made and people enjoy those changes; whatever. That's nice for them. But pretending that only a handful of people expected a major entry in a franchise to stay true to previous entries is sadly deluded, and worse when you get on your high-horse and act like they don't have the right to be disappointed.

I get Fallout 3 is a fun game and I get why people like it, but I didn't want the Bethesda design of Fallout. It was different in too many ways, for mine and others taste, from the originals. There's no counter argument to that as it's just taste.

Whatever. I hope this turns out good but if its too much like Fallout 3 in gameplay I probably wont bother.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Kind of interested. If it's isometric, I am bailing out. Kind of sad, Bethesda isn't developing too. Oh well.

EatChildren

beelzebozo said:
mario was in 2d before mario 64, make it go back

And the 2D Mario games still offer their own play style separate from the 3D versions, and the likes of New Super Mario Bros. prove the formula is still just as fun as ever, as do the more modern side-scrolling games (Lost Winds, Braid, etc).

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
EatChildren said:
And the 2D Mario games still offer their own play style separate from the 3D versions, and the likes of New Super Mario Bros. prove the formula is still just as fun as ever, as do the more modern side-scrolling games (Lost Winds, Braid, etc).

maybe they should put the old fallout games on ds then.

Timber

WTF

OMG

I hope Bethesda is publishing it and they let Obsidian do their thing because theyve had to deal with more than enough publisher bs already.

damn what a great announcement!

EatChildren

twinturbo2 said:
I wonder what the NMA crowd thinks of this...

The NMA crowd thinks?

chase

I don't get it.

Oh wait this is a dev that made those now virtually unplayable PC games that everyone claims to love. Continue splooging. :lol

Hammer24

Banned
Fuck yes!

Fallout3 is one of the best games ever - one that truly evolved over its predecessors in nearly every area. The successor now coming from Obsidian makes me very happy.

WTF is this game, they said its not a Fallout sequel or has anything to do with Fallout......so why its called Fallout, confusing shit, and in......Vegas?! WTF?!

dreamer3kx said:
WTF is this game, they said its not a Fallout sequel or has anything to do with Fallout......so why its called Fallout, confusing shit, and in......Vegas?! WTF?!

They mean they aren't calling it Fallout 4 and it's not a turn based battle game like Tactics. Other than that we don't know much although its probably safe to make a few assumptions based on the platforms and the dev time and who is developing it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
dreamer3kx said:

Think of it like what GTA: Vice City is to GTA3.

Kintaro said:
Was better than KOTOR before the publisher forced them to rush shit out.

All I care about is the end product and the end product was bad. As I said I hope they get enough time and familiarity with the engine to put out a game on three platforms.

IoCaster

OK, this sounds pretty damn awesome. It's a very cool move for Bethesda to hand off a major dev deal like this, especially to some of the original Fallout guys. I wonder how long Obsidian has been working on this project. I can't wait to hear more about it.

syllogism

IoCaster said:
OK, this sounds pretty damn awesome. It's a very cool move for Bethesda to hand off a major dev deal like this, especially to some of the original Fallout guys. I wonder how long Obsidian has been working on this project. I can't wait to hear more about it.
JE Sawyer teased about this a few weeks ago on Twitter so not at all or not long

"loves the smell of contract signing in the... evening.8:13 PM Apr 3rd from web "
"Obsidian is happy today."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom