• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda, Obsidian Announce Fallout: New Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Stoney Mason said:
All I care about is the end product and the end product was bad.

It's important to understand the circumstances before condemning them for that end result. I doubt any developer could've put out an A grade product in their place, given the time and resource constraints they had with kotor 2.

gillty

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
All I care about is the end product and the end product was bad. As I said I hope they get enough time and familiarity with the engine to put out a game on three platforms.
even with its flaws (lets thanks luscasrts that!) the game was not bad, it was better than the original KOTOR.

wonder why Bethesda did this, its basically handing the Fallout IP back to the original (ok well Fallout 2) developers, you can bet the characters, writing, and "choice" will be insane.... in fact its basically taking the best of Bethesda (the detailed engine, large world possibilities etc) and the best of black isle (writing, characters, quest design, possible outcomes) and marrying them together. I wonder if they will have vats be a full fledged turn based mode, and then have a real time shooter mode...

Nice gesture for Bethesda letting obsidian do this.

Purple Drank

I'mma grip n sip
Man this is awful news. Seriously this sucks. I only have time to put put 200 plus hours into one game ONCE once in a generation, and I already have with Fallout 3. Christ. UGH.

EviLore said:
It's important to understand the circumstances before condemning them for that end result. I doubt any developer could've put out an A grade product in their place, given the time and resource constraints they had with kotor 2.

I'm not condemning them. I'm condemning the product and more abstractly the relationship that often happens when a third party gets an engine and high expectations and a lot of platforms to make a game for. However that being said I hope for a fall release window for next year so they have a lot of time to do it well.

Purple Drank said:
Man this is awful news. Seriously this sucks. I only have time to put put 200 plus hours into one game ONCE once in a generation, and I already have with Fallout 3. Christ. UGH.
If Obsidian do this right, New Vegas won't be a 200+ hour RPG.

And thank fuck for that.

Drek

Kintaro said:
Over/under on this being better than the Bethesda developed Fallouts? Probably a sure bet.
Fallout, in Vegas, by Obsidian?

Yeah, its a sure bet. Hell, its a sure bet to be better than everything Bethesda has ever made.

Correct me if im wrong but the original Fallout developer broke up and split into 2 companies (Obisian and Bioware) correct?

So its good that some of the original devs are going back to fallout.

IoCaster

syllogism said:
JE Sawyer teased about this a few weeks ago on Twitter so not at all or not long

"loves the smell of contract signing in the... evening.8:13 PM Apr 3rd from web "
"Obsidian is happy today."

Thanks for the info. It's interesting that they're looking at 2010 for release.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Anticitizen One said:
Correct me if im wrong but the original Fallout developer broke up and split into 2 companies (Obisian and Bioware) correct?

And Troika.

*sniff*

Geeker

So, any chance they will recycle stuff from van buren (quest design, areas, characters etc)? That might shorten the development cycle.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Anticitizen One said:

The lead guys on Fallout 1 split from Black Isle Studios to form Troika (developers of Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil and Vampire Bloodlines).

Fallout 2 was developed by Black Isle without them. Black Isle was developing Fallout 3 before the studio was killed off due to Interplay shitting itself. The key people from Black Isle (Feargus, JE Sawyer and Chris Avellone) formed Obsidian Entertainment.

Anticitizen One said:

In 1998, several key members responsible for the division's first title, Fallout, left Interplay to form Troika Games after they "were unable to come to an agreement with Interplay as to how [their] next team should be structured".[4] On December 8, 2003, in the midst of serious financial difficulties, Interplay laid off the entire Black Isle Studios staff.[5] By then, most members had moved on to found Obsidian Entertainment.

as for the fallout 1 guys that formed troika (now also out of business... T_T ) Leonard Boyarsky is at Blizzard now as the world/quest lead designer for Diablo 3, and Tim Cain is somewhere at NCSoft making a mmo. Brian Fargo formed Inxile and they made the Bards Tale and Line Rider.

Sqorgar said:
Obsidian is a fine company, but they sure love sloppy seconds...

Such is the life of a private company but in this case at least there is history here. They probably quite wanted to do this project.

FiRez

Hopefully this drops the Fallout 3 price, is probably my most wanted already realeased game but is still expensive as hell even used

Zyzyxxz

Holy hell! This is big news!

I don't really care if its turn based or not since I think it was great in the past but today it would be too outdated.

What I want though is for them to craft a really good story and give me the freedom to make choices anyway I want and in them ost comical way I want like in Fallout 2.

Unlike Fallout 3 which followed such a linear and rigid choice structure.

After reports of job cuts and project cancellations its pretty sweet that some good news is heading Obsidian's way. 2010 sure does seem a long way off though :(

Here's hoping Alpha Protocol helps pass the time.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I loved Fallout 3 to death!

so I want more info on this to FUCK YEAH! or FUCK NO!

let's keep it in...FUCK!

Zyzyxxz said:
Holy hell! This is big news!

I don't really care if its turn based or not since I think it was great in the past but today it would be too outdated.

What I want though is for them to craft a really good story and give me the freedom to make choices anyway I want and in them ost comical way I want like in Fallout 2.

Unlike Fallout 3 which followed such a linear and rigid choice structure.

you just want a 3d modeled ball gag dont you.... :lol

Big Baby Buddha said:
The Fallout Vault was developed independently from NMA. It was originally hosted at that other Fallout site, Duck and Cover.

I know, but Ausir doesn't sleep, HE DOESN'T SLEEP I SWEAR!

Mamesj

Banned
EatChildren said:
What? My statement was completely true. Prior to Fallout 3, every quality Fallout game was isometric. Outside of one or two games, Fallout games in general were isometric. This made it a design staple easily recognised with the franchise. It's not fantasy, its fact.

If changes are made and people enjoy those changes; whatever. That's nice for them. But pretending that only a handful of people expected a major entry in a franchise to stay true to previous entries is sadly deluded, and worse when you get on your high-horse and act like they don't have the right to be disappointed.

I get Fallout 3 is a fun game and I get why people like it, but I didn't want the Bethesda design of Fallout. It was different in too many ways, for mine and others taste, from the originals. There's no counter argument to that as it's just taste.

Whatever. I hope this turns out good but if its too much like Fallout 3 in gameplay I probably wont bother.

no one cares about old fallout. cheers!

This news has made me giddy as a school girl. However, it's times like these that I wish games would be announced only, say, after they've gone gold. I can clearly envision the next two years of longing and heartache I'll have to endure. Hanging on every rumour, daydreaming constantly about how awesome the game will be. Truly, hard times are ahead.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
" It will be use the engine and gameplay style of Bethesda Softworks' Fallout 3, but with a brand new story and setting."

now I can safely say..

FUCK YEAH!!

more Fallout all over my face!

Zyzyxxz

TheCardPlayer said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Have you even played Fallout 2? If you did you would be able to tell that the choices you were able to make were much more entertaining than Fallout 3 with its extreme black and white moral choices.

Especially the ending of Fallout 3, wtf is the bullshit of not being able to send the mutant into the chamber.

Also the story was pretty shitty too, Most of the side missions felt unimportant and the main story wasn't all that great itself. Hopefully being in the hands of Obsidian and taking place on the West Coast again will make it a better game, not that Fallout 3 was bad but compared to Fallout 2 I'll stick by my choice of which was the better game.

Thoughts

-Its interesting that they are going back to the west coast for this Fallout. That was one of the few things I didn't like about fallout 3 for some reason (maybe im biased because im fron CA :D )

-About a year ago it was announced that Interplay was working on a Fallout MMO...This isn't it right?

Wallach

Mamesj said:

I do. :(

On the other hand, Fallout 3 was a phenomenal game and pretty much all I could have hoped for - anyone hoping or, god forbid, expecting an isometric game is pretty much a meatstick - and seeing the guys over at Obsidian getting their hands on the Fallout brand again warms my heart a little.

Will buy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anticitizen One said:
-About a year ago it was announced that Interplay was working on a Fallout MMO...This isn't it right?

Well, this isn't an MMO, and Interplay has nothing to do with it... so...?

Anticitizen One said:
Thoughts

-Its interesting that they are going back to the west coast for this Fallout. That was one of the few things I didn't like about fallout 3 for some reason (maybe im biased because im fron CA :D )

nope and bethesda is forcing their hand about showing if they have the funding for it, if they dont they lose the IP rights to the fallout name for the mmo, this is a totally new game anounced by Obsidian outta nowhere.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Mamesj said:

*scribble scribble*

chase said:
I don't get it.

Oh wait this is a dev that made those now virtually unplayable PC games that everyone claims to love. Continue splooging. :lol

*scribble scribble scribble scribble*

Linkified

So does this mean they aren't going to support fallout 3 with a huge expansion like they did with oblivion or is it that after broken steel dlc that will be it for fallout 3.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Wiki says inXile is doing something with the Wasteland IP too. Is this legit?

This is all like the perfect storm of Post Apocalyptic gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom