• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda, Obsidian Announce Fallout: New Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
duckroll said:
Chinese and Japanese are not the same thing at all. Obsidian is smarter than that, so that sounds pretty fake, and racist too.
Yeah, was gonna say the same thing.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Vehicles? In Fallout?
fallout-2.jpg

Effect

Foliorum Viridum said:
A bigger world and vehicles don't appeal to me.

Vehicles mainly because I can't imagine them being done right on the Fallout 3 engine (assuming they're still using it, which, let's be honest, they must be).

Vehicles aren't a big deal for me but it seems the big issue is the increase size of the world if this is true. All the vehicles seem like it will do is replace the walking you already did in Fallout 3. If you are increasing the size of the world so you have an increase number of locations that's one thing. However I don't get the feeling that will be done. I'd much prefer a smaller world to explore with more detail. Increase the number of underground locations or just locations in general.

One key area they could improve on is by increasing the size of the Vaults you explore. These things are suppose to be house a lot of people and by their very nature should be massive if only for the amount of tech needed to keep them running. I'd like to see a full size explorable Vault in the game. Either as a city or a dungeon. Hell both would be good as separate locations.

Also rather see the AI for companions worked on as well. Or at least make it so they don't die easy. Or at the least offer up expendable ones so named characters won't die.

I just hope in the new game you can be apart of an organization from the start in some manner. While being on your own is fine being able to head back to a base of operations and not just a town to sell is even better.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I like the fact they're increasing the size of the world. The whole point of these types of free roaming RPGs is the exploration. I hope they fill that shiny new world with interesting stuff.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Leaked info sounds good if true.

being a ghoul would be really interesting with how people would react to you. "Ohh shit its a zombie! shoot em!" being a glowing one though wouldnt make sense since you would be giving radiation poisoning to anyone around you.

Effect said:
Vehicles aren't a big deal for me but it seems the big issue is the increase size of the world if this is true. All the vehicles seem like it will do is replace the walking you already did in Fallout 3. If you are increasing the size of the world so you have an increase number of locations that's one thing. However I don't get the feeling that will be done. I'd much prefer a smaller world to explore with more detail. Increase the number of underground locations or just locations in general.

One key area they could improve on is by increasing the size of the Vaults you explore. These things are suppose to be house a lot of people and by their very nature should be massive if only for the amount of tech needed to keep them running. I'd like to see a full size explorable Vault in the game. Either as a city or a dungeon. Hell both would be good as separate locations.

Also rather see the AI for companions worked on as well. Or at least make it so they don't die easy. Or at the least offer up expendable ones so named characters won't die.

I just hope in the new game you can be apart of an organization from the start in some manner. While being on your own is fine being able to head back to a base of operations and not just a town to sell is even better.

i dunno a post apoc wasteland should be huge and barren with interspersed events towns etc, fallout 3 while I didnt mind it, felt a little to small and "theme parkish"

onken

There's literally nothing substantial or surprising in this leak that couldn't easily be made up, and the source is an anonymous forum post. Yeeeeeeah I'm calling fake on this one.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Yeah, I don't believe this article is real but regarding a vehicle, being in a desert allows for wide open spaces to navigate (and as stated there should be far out of the way places to explore). Its not like Washington D.C. where the terrain is uneven. And I liked the car in Fallout 2, doubled as portable storage!

ezekial45

Banned
I'll believe it when i see it. With that said, i really do like the idea of having multiple backgrounds.

So this game is gonna play like Fallout 3, right? To he honest, i'm kinda worried they're gonna take it back to the old style (no offense to you purists).

butsomuch said:
- Similar to Dragon Age: Origins, at character creation the player can select from different background stories. The first few hours of the game are different depending on which background you choose, and you get some unique perks based on your background when the main game begins.
I hated this in DA.

Remove the intro and just dump us right in the wasteland.

Not many people restart from scratch after completing a ~30 hour RPG.
I'd rather they put the time and ressources in the actual world, instead of crafting these background stories.

ezekial45 said:
So this game is gonna play like Fallout 3, right? To he honest, i'm kinda worried they're gonna take it back to the old style (no offense to you purists).

I can't see that happening. Fallout 3 had to have a fast/action based combat system due to the slow pacing of the game. It took forever to do anything in that game. If your endgame clocks in at the ~150-200 mark, just imagine what it would be like with a turn based battle system.

MCermak

duckroll said:
Chinese and Japanese are not the same thing at all. Obsidian is smarter than that, so that sounds pretty fake, and racist too.

Racist? Really?

I agree though, it does sound fake. I wish it were true though. There are some interesting ideas in there.

It better be true. Playable ghouls and vehicle boss fights sound sweet. If the world really is bigger...could they really make Morrowind with guns? *cums*

duckroll said:

The player and other survivors of the Crimson Dragoons take refuge in a cave in the canyons, where they commit hari kari with cyanide capsules.

:lol :lol ...

MCermak

I found the post on gamespot. I don't know if this is the original or not, but the hl2 board post points back to this.

I have no idea why anyone would believe it since it is coming from a random user on the gamespot, let alone report it.

Maybe this will provoke Bethesda to say tell us SOMETHING about the game. I'd love to hear actual details! It's been about 8 months since they announced it, right?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ShockingAlberto said:
The probably fake details make me realize that Bethesda has been irresponsibly silent about this game.

They are not a very good publisher.
If there is one thing Bethesda is really good at its getting the word out and hyping their games. The game is due out sometime this year right? Do we know what quarter?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Number 2 said:
If there is one thing Bethesda is really good at its getting the word out and hyping their games. The game is due out sometime this year right? Do we know what quarter?

Nothing solid has been stated about its release date but the slow release of info makes me hopeful for a 2010 release (or early 2011).

Its crazy though, they've got this game on the burner and Elder Scrolls V is probably far along.

As long as they fix and improve the AI from Fallout 3, I will be fine with whatever changes or additions they want to make. Vehicles sounds good to me but if the AI is gonna be driving vehicles they better not be idiots with them.

Prime crotch said:
because FO3's shooting is awful, so either make it all VATS, or fix it

Theres nothing that can be done to FO's shooting to make it any better, it's a RPG which is what is going to always keep the shooting feeling awkward if your playing it like a FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom