• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda, Obsidian Announce Fallout: New Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElNarez

Banned
Well, Obsidian's writing will be much better than Bethesda's, so that's that. Plus, the gameplay of Fallout 3 isn't that bad, it just needs some tweaks, which Obsidian can hopefully bring. And please, don't blame the consoles. That's just silly.

Obsidian made a kickass "sequel" with KOTOR 2 based off of a game I thoroughly enjoyed.

I think they will do the same thing here.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Decado said:
For good reason. What difference is it really going to make? It's still a console RPG and it is still has the same gameplay style as the terrible FO3. There's only so much Obsidian can do. It's like asking a marathon athlete to break records while shackled.

No the real question is why arent they being given more time? If they had more time, we'd probably get big tweaks. At most we'd be looking at a 2010 Oct-Nov release. So a year and a half. Good enough to make new quests and write a story but enough time to fix the animation or the melee combat or sneaking? I bet Bethesda just want a story to make up for their shit writing, but dont want any changes to the gameplay systems. Even if they make sense.

Stage On

I've really enjoyed Fallout 3 so far. More of the same in a different setting couldn't hurt so I'm really looking foward to this xd

Minsc said:
The NWN2 engine is a piece of shit. Yes. I said it. They could have gone for the Unreal Engine and probably had a better end result, that's how crappy it is. Hell, the NWN 1 engine used by The Witcher is better than NWN2's engine. I honestly wish they just licensed Titan Quest's engine than using what they did with NWN2, Titan Quest was gorgeous, and if modified would have fit just as well.

It does reasonably nice graphics, but yeah, the performance is awful, and what the heck happened to quicksave?

Still, I don't know of any better option... I doubt the Dragon Age engine is an option (yet). :)

Tobor

Tobor said:
I'm sure they'll just blame Bethesda for not letting Obsidian do what they really wanted to do.

Decado said:
For good reason. What difference is it really going to make? It's still a console RPG and it is still has the same gameplay style as the terrible FO3. There's only so much Obsidian can do. It's like asking a marathon athlete to break records while shackled.

Sometimes I hate being right.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
A Black Falcon said:
It does reasonably nice graphics, but yeah, the performance is awful, and what the heck happened to quicksave?

Still, I don't know of any better option... I doubt the Dragon Age engine is an option (yet). :)

How about the version used by the The Witcher, you know, the one that wasnt shitastic?

HK-47 said:
How about the version used by the The Witcher, you know, the one that wasnt shitastic?

Sorry, I meant the NWN2 engine, not NWN1... haven't played The Witcher, though I probably should.

NWN1's engine looked awful, in NWN1 at least. I forget if it had quicksave, though... but at least I don't remember it having the horrible performance of the NWN2 engine.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Man, a nine page thread in one and a half days.

Alpha Protocol threads can barely get past the first page.

This seems to be the best thing to happen to Obsidian in a long time.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
A Black Falcon said:
Sorry, I meant the NWN2 engine, not NWN1... haven't played The Witcher, though I probably should.

NWN1's engine looked awful, in NWN1 at least. I forget if it had quicksave, though... but at least I don't remember it having the horrible performance of the NWN2 engine.

Both NWN 2 and The Witcher used modified versions of the NWN 1 engine

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
A Black Falcon said:

NWN2 has quicksave.. wtf? F12.

Nirolak said:
Man, a nine page thread in one and a half days.

Alpha Protocol threads can barely get past the first page.

This seems to be the best thing to happen to Obsidian in a long time.

once you see the gameplay trailer(Alpha Protocol) there is nothing much left than 5 people hyping an over rated trailer,

look again:

horrible xbox1 upscaled graphics - check.
enormous screen tearing - check.
horrible framerate - check.
hype - check.

Fallout DELIVERED, thats why this thread is growing.

Minsc

Gold Member
HK-47 said:

Crap, I had no idea, why'd it go so wrong?

Another thing I realized, people who think the Titan Quest engine would be a good choice (it honestly looks like the spitting image of BG in some shots) are forgetting perhaps the SINGLE most awesome thing about it.

There's no loading in Titan Quest after you start. Eat that NWN2 and your obnoxious loading screens.

HK-47 said:

Ah. What makes the performance so awful, then? I mean, the game runs so slowly, considering its graphics... the original NWN had pretty poor graphics, but didn't run THAT badly.

I didn't know NWN2 used the NWN1 engine as a base... really? If true, I'm not that surprised though, Obsidian, and Black Isle, before it hadn't made an engine for anything other than Fallout... and the people who made that engine, I believe, then left to found Troika. But yeah... what happened there?

Number 2 said:
NWN2 has quicksave.. wtf? F12.

Really? Why couldn't I find it, then... :(

rexor0717

This is great news. Hopefully they (Bethesda) will start on The Elder Scrolls V :D
The day that game is announced...I will have a heart attack...

Unregistered007 said:
once you see the gameplay trailer(Alpha Protocol) there is nothing much left than 5 people hyping an over rated trailer,

look again:

hype - check.

and ONI lives up to all of the stuff Bungie does?

not every game is destined to be great.

Haunted

Shinz Kicker said:
and ONI lives up to all of the stuff Bungie does?

not every game is destined to be great.
... and that's why Oni threads are 3 pages max and Halo threads are 25 pages minimum.

Which kinda was the point he was making. ;)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Minsc said:
Crap, I had no idea, why'd it go so wrong?

Another thing I realized, people who think the Titan Quest engine would be a good choice (it honestly looks like the spitting image of BG in some shots) are forgetting perhaps the SINGLE most awesome thing about it.

There's no loading in Titan Quest after you start. Eat that NWN2 and your obnoxious loading screens.

Dunno. But CD Projekt did rewrite the rendering engine and modified other things as well.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Unregistered007 said:

look again:

hype - check.

And writing, story, dialogue and characters by Chris Avellone.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
http://kotaku.com/5219643/fallout-3s-delivers-puppies-on-may-5

So because Bethesda cant write a fucking ending and everyone complained, they have somehow twisted it to mean that people dont want an ending? Thats the most retarded thing I've heard in quite sometime. Probably since Bethesada claimed they would put 300 endings in Fallout 3.

Please put Ziets on creative lead to save us from these incompetents.

Dead Man

HK-47 said:

So because Bethesda cant write a fucking ending and everyone complained, they have somehow twisted it to mean that people dont want an ending? Thats the most retarded thing I've heard in quite sometime. Probably since Bethesada claimed they would put 300 endings in Fallout 3.

Maybe he only meant open ended play, like Oblivion?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
HK-47 said:

Its like that comic artists that can't draw feet so he obscures them in some way, instead of dealing with the issue at hand... I mean feet.

...although apparently Tycho over at Penny Arcade knows who Avellone is:

I can't even imagine what this is like for the team at Bethesda, or what the metaphor would even be here. It has a drama threshold consistent with the Old Testament, with its resolute arches of lineage and prophecy. If I found out that someone like Chris Avellone was coming in to do something very my like my own job, I would immediately begin throwing up - and I wouldn't stop throwing up until absolutely everything inside my body had come out.

Aaron

Shake Appeal said:
Sadly means nothing to 99% of GAF.
Even knowing him Alpha Protocol still looks and sounds dull as dry pavement. Having him involved in the Fallout sphere of things is immediately more interesting.

Huggy

Truant said:
So will the new game have things we have come to expect from next-gen graphics, such as lighting. Or shadows?

Of course not.

The game will play like a mod for a mod for Oblivion.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Shake Appeal said:
...although apparently Tycho over at Penny Arcade knows who Avellone is:

As far as RPGs go, I find Avellone the best. After him comes Mitsoda, Matsuno, Itoi and Ziets and the groups that worked on Ultima VII, Fallout/Arcanum and Betrayal at Krondor.

And whoever did Anachronox.

Anachronox was Tom A. Hall's baby.

A Black Falcon said:
Ah. What makes the performance so awful, then? I mean, the game runs so slowly, considering its graphics... the original NWN had pretty poor graphics, but didn't run THAT badly.
Because it relies a lot on lighting to look good, and then some buff spells are incredibly busy that hamper the performance even more, so much that there are mods to soften them.

All in all, Obsidian always worked with someone's else engine, and then never had much time to clean their games, so shit happens.

butsomuch

Anthony Davis said:
Avellone wears many hats at Obsidian. He is currently the chief creative officer (or something like that) as well as the project director and lead designer for AP.

To whomever asked up above, Feargus is of course still at Obsidian. He is currently the CEO and project director of an unannounced project that is not FO.

Josh Sawyer is the project director and lead designer of Fallout: New Vegas.

Obsidian is working on an unannounced title besides Alpha Protocol and Fallout: New Vegas.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
dionysus said:
Who was the lead on Aliens RPG? And writer?
Sawyer was the lead designer.

No idea on writer

And we already knew they had another project. They want to do something with the Onyx engine after all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom