• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda, Obsidian Announce Fallout: New Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

g23

European pre-madonna
Wonder how the Fallout version of Vegas will look like....hope its not all arid desert though..

BIFF%27S_large.jpg

TTG

Mixed feelings for me. On one hand, it's great to see anything Fallout, Bethesda or not. On the other hand, post apocalyptic Vegas is one of the most boring settings I could think of. :/

Resident_Evil_Extinction.jpg

Oh yay.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
HK-47 said:
I hope we get some references to Van Buren, maybe even go to the Hoover Dam
i would say Hoover Dam making is pretty good bet. Josh posted this gif of the Las Vegas area that showed the shrinking of Lake Mead over the past twenty years or so.. its just a guess but it shows the area has been researched recently. Books concerning the Rat Pack were also mentioned which i think is awesome.

TTG said:
Mixed feelings for me. On one hand, it's great to see anything Fallout, Bethesda or not. On the other hand, post apocalyptic Vegas is one of the most boring settings I could think of. :/
Also depending on the scope of the game.. there are many varied and interesting places near Las Vegas that is more than just desert... Mount Charleston, Red Rock Canyon, Lake Mead, Hidden Forest, Valley of Fire.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Unregistered007 said:
horrible xbox1 upscaled graphics - check.
enormous screen tearing - check.
horrible framerate - check.

Rethink your choice of platforms if you're a graphics whore.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I just hope this new guy is up to the task, and that we at least get a couple of characters written by Ziets and Avellone.

TTG said:
Remember New Reno? Yeah, it'll be awesome.

Johann

Danne-Danger said:
Remember New Reno? Yeah, it'll be awesome.

Chris Avellone designed it, right? Vegas seems a perfect place to have as much criminal politics, side-quests, and wacky Fallout humor.

Johann

HK-47 said:
Yeah but Avellone isnt Creative Lead on this game

LALALALALACan'thearyouLALALALALA

When the game comes out, I'll wave its moral ambiguity and strong female characters in front of your face! You'll see!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Johann said:
LALALALALACan'thearyouLALALALALA

When the game comes out, I'll wave its moral ambiguity and strong female characters in front of your face! You'll see!

Like with NWN 2 and SoZ?

Spoit

Johann said:
Chris Avellone designed it, right? Vegas seems a perfect place to have as much criminal politics, side-quests, and wacky Fallout humor.
Which were all missing in FO3, especially the humour

firex

Fallout 2's humor is fine but I admit it detracts a little from the game if you're into a heavy, serious story like the first. There are lots of funny movie references and responses you can give to people, a lot of which break the 4th wall or are anachronisms, like commenting on the Elton John song when some guy says he's called the Rocketman because he makes drugs that get people high.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
firex said:
Fallout 2's humor is fine but I admit it detracts a little from the game if you're into a heavy, serious story like the first. There are lots of funny movie references and responses you can give to people, a lot of which break the 4th wall or are anachronisms, like commenting on the Elton John song when some guy says he's called the Rocketman because he makes drugs that get people high.

People dont seem to appreciate humor unless its within the world, so to speak. That said I'd rather they stick to Fallout and Van Buren and not have the humor be so overriding.

Spoit

HK-47 said:
People dont seem to appreciate humor unless its within the world, so to speak. That said I'd rather they stick to Fallout and Van Buren and not have the humor be so overriding.
What do you mean by in the world? Because the only attempt at humor I saw in FO3 was the absurd level of gore, which wasn't the least bit funny

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Back to easter eggs/references they should put in. Have Tom Cullen of The Stand doing manual labor in Vegas, he'll talk about himself a bit' and with good Charisma he'll talk about Boulder a bit. Also Randal Flag as some character that isn't seen first hand but is referred too here and there. I'd be good with that.

firex

Spoit said:
What do you mean by in the world? Because the only attempt at humor I saw in FO3 was the absurd level of gore, which wasn't the least bit funny
We're not talking about Fallout 3. Bethesda's games are devoid of life or personality or talent or anything that a quality developer would have, so this is about Fallout 1 and 2 and their humor.

Fallout 2 really just took a lot of Fallout 1's rare encounters that were also anachronisms/4th wall breaking and ran with them, so it's not like there was no precedent. It's just ratcheted up to a level that goes beyond what the first game had.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Spoit said:

I'm talking about Fallout 2

butsomuch

Chris Avellone is currently working as a senior designer on Fallout: New Vegas.

Short Bio: Obsidian has been around since 2004, and has created games such as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, Neverwinter Nights 2, and Alpha Protocol. We're also currently working on Fallout: New Vegas, which features Josh Sawyer as Project Director and Chris Avellone, one of Obsidian's owners, as a Senior Designer...

Chris Avellone: I'd been working on Van Buren for a few years on-and-off at Black Isle, but Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate III (canceled) drafted me at various points so I wasn't able to devote my time fully to F3. It didn't really expand the team beyond just myself until BG3 got canceled and we had an entire team to roll onto it. I got to work with Josh on it as Creative Lead, which was great (and now we get to do it again, except I work as a senior designer reporting to Josh). Josh and I had been playing a pen-and-paper version of the actual game for a while along with other potential team members to test out locations and new turn-based mechanics we thought might be cool for the title...

Chris Avellone: I'm all done with Alpha Protocol now, it's in good shape. While I work on almost all the projects at Obsidian in some capacity as a Creative Director, Fallout New Vegas is my current focus now. It's great to be working directly on one of my favorite franchises, and it's great to be working with Josh again - he's got great stuff planned, and I think players are going to have a lot of fun in New Vegas...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
jorma said:
So it's turn based? Well, I'm cool with that tbh.
The turn based refers to Van Buren (the original Fallout 3). We still have no real details on Fallout: New Vegas outside of the platform.

butsomuch

http://www.duckandcover.cx/#9886

First details of "Fallout: New Vegas" or an exciting hoax?

This may very well be a hoax, but it's pretty well written and convincing. From the Halife2.net Forums:

Fallout New Vegas information is coming "very soon." It's going to be Gameinformer's next cover. This is the information in the magazine:

- Similar to Dragon Age: Origins, at character creation the player can select from different background stories. The first few hours of the game are different depending on which background you choose, and you get some unique perks based on your background when the main game begins.

- One background story is shown, Chinese Agent. The background story takes place before the bombs fell. The player is part of a team of Crimson Dragoons infilitrating Hoover Dam. You manage to sneak through the Americans' defenses, set explosives, and head to an extraction point, but your escape is cut off by American soldiers in Power Armor. The player and other survivors of the Crimson Dragoons take refuge in a cave in the canyons, where they commit hari kari with cyanide capsules. The player about to do the same when the bombs fall. The background story ends an indeterminate time later, when the player exits the cave, removes his helmet, and sees his ghoulish reflection in the waters of the Colorado River.

- The background story segues into character creation. The player can customize the appearance of the ghoul, and you see you start the game with two unique perks. One, similar to the Ghoul Mask in Fallout 3, makes Feral Ghouls non-aggro. The other makes the player immune to radiation sickness and allows the player to discharge accumulated radiation in a blast similar to a Glowing Ghoul, healing the player and any mutants while damaging all non-mutants in range.

- By default, the Chinese Agent has the skills Sneak, Small Arms, and Explosives tagged and SPECIAL stats set, although the player can modify their tagged skills and stats if they don't like the template.

- One character background option is Lone Wanderer. This selection has no background story or template and is a complete blank slate for players.

- The SPECIAL system used will be similar to Fallout 3, but skills will be harder to cap and one character will not be able to become a master of all skills. The article is not very specific because apparently it's something the developers are still tweaking.

- Gambling will return, but not as a skill. Your Luck stat will effect gambling results. You can attempt to cheat at cards using your Sneak skill or hack slot machines using your Science skill.

- There will be vehicles. The desert of New Vegas dwarfs the Capital Wasteland and you will need transportation to get around and explore it. You will acquire a vehicle several hours into the main quest. You can customize your vehicle with parts bought at shops or won through racing circuits and quests. Vehicles will not be common, but you will encounter road gangs, merchant caravans, and other vehicles in the wastes. The open desert is home to some very large mutant creatures, like giant radscorpions and sandworms, that will attack your vehicle.

- New Vegas has a coliseum run by a slaver gang called the Caesar's Legion. You can gamble on and participate in arena fights.

Again, I find this information a bit hard to believe as it's from the HL2 forums with no citation, but it does sound like a very cool game. This little description already sounds MUCH better than Fallout 3. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Not believing anything, but I guess we'll see with the next issue of Gameinformer. When is it due?

A bigger world and vehicles don't appeal to me.

Vehicles mainly because I can't imagine them being done right on the Fallout 3 engine (assuming they're still using it, which, let's be honest, they must be).

This sounds pretty awesome and I like the idea of Chris coming on as a producer. Fallout 3 was one of my fav games of 2008 so think I'll be in the mood for more latr on this year.

Durante

I can see Gamebryo coping with Vehicles well enough on a modern PC with the game installed on a fast HDD. On 360 and PS3 not so much. Maybe they recently improved its streaming performance.

duckroll

Chinese and Japanese are not the same thing at all. Obsidian is smarter than that, so that sounds pretty fake, and racist too.

markot

Banned
duckroll said:
Chinese and Japanese are not the same thing at all. Obsidian is smarter than that, so that sounds pretty fake, and racist too.
Except it was probably the poster trying to sound cool? you dont commit hari kiri or whatever with cyanide caps. sounds great if true though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom