• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S2 |OT| The Truth Is Just A Point Of View - Mondays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

zewone

I dont think chuck will use it to press charges but he will blackmail jimmy and maybe show the recording to kim..

That is the opposite of what will happen.

Chuck isn't going to break the law and Kim already knows what happened.

Might want to rewatch the entire series.

MrBadger

- Vox: Better Call Saul's creators on a great season 2: "So much of television now is rushed storytelling"Some worthwhile discussion of slowing down scenes and seasons at the beginning, too.

I bet while they were writing half of Chuck's scenes, especially the flashbacks, they didn't expect the internet to jump through hoops to hate him for every decision he made.

It's kind of funny how they bring up the fact Hector doesn't have the same kind of hatedom considering fans ended up sympathising when things went south for him in Breaking Bad.

She does but chuck doesnt know she knows.

I think he does, like he clearly knows Ernesto was lying to cover Jimmy's back.

Feels like we are getting lots of 'meh' reactions for both finales but it really speaks to how they are writing the show.

We know this isn't BB but I'm with many people who expected some kind of heavy resolution to plot lines or a BIG cliffhanger. It's being written in a way that makes it all so disturbingly plausible.

jerry113

Banned
Great season, meh finale, imo. Like someone here said, felt to me more like a premiere episode than a finale. But doesn't take away how awesome this season was. BCS continues to be the best series today.

Last season was like this too. Season 1 Episode 9 featured the confrontation between brothers where Chuck came clean to Jimmy about his true feelings and sabotage.

Sort of like Game of Thrones, the 9th episode is usually the climax of the season while the 10th episode is the epilogue/setup for next season.

BBboy20

That mailroom was the safest jail Chuck could cage Jimmy in but even he managed to slip away from. Not telling their mother's last words was the ultimate sign that the recorder became the inevitability; if Chuck ever confesses to Jimmy about their mother's dying words, he better expect zero forgiveness if he proceeds taking Jimmy to court with this recording.

Episode 9 was definitely my favorite this season, but honestly I can't say I relate to the people saying "finale was meh." I watch the show for the awesome character moments, cinematography, atmosphere, etc. And this finale had them in spades. Like Vince said in one of those articles someone posted earlier:

But there's so much product out there, for lack of a better word, that you really have to cut through the noise. Sometimes people figure the best way to do that is to keep things moving, moving, moving [snaps fingers] at a breakneck speed.

To me as a viewer, that more often than not turns me off. So we slow things down. Our editing rhythm is such that we figure, philosophically, why cut to the next shot until this shot is no longer interesting? Let's try not to artificially amp up excitement or drama through rampant cutting.

MrBadger

Last season was like this too. Season 1 Episode 9 featured the confrontation between brothers where Chuck came clean to Jimmy about his true feelings and sabotage.

Sort of like Game of Thrones, the 9th episode is usually the climax of the season while the 10th episode is the epilogue/setup for next season.

Breaking Bad was a bit like this too at times. Crazy Handful of Nothin was the climax of season 1 and Ozymandias was the climax of season 5 with everything following being epilogue (in my opinion).

ElRenoRaven

What bothers me most about Chuck honestly is how, despite the fact Jimmy does shady things, Jimmy always looks after his brother. He takes care of him despite everything, he risked everything to get him ambulance, and after Chuck finally wakes up, he thinks Jimmy just trapped him and is sending away to be committed when that doesn't happen at all. Chuck doesn't give half a shit about his brothers well being, and Jimmy could have had him sent away any time he wanted. I understand where Chuck comes from, but he's petty as fuck and a garbage brother.

Yea. Chuck just shows himself to be a real piece of crap time and time again. You can tell that he has always resented his brother. You can't help but sympathize with Jimmy. I have to say they've done a hell of a lot better job on this show then they did with Breaking Bad. Not saying Breaking Bad is bad at all. I liked it even in spite of how the last couple seasons kind of lacked.

I think the important distinction that separates this from Breaking Bad characters or situations is the deep history between these two characters. Chuck watched, time and time again, people making excuses for Jimmy and celebrating him despite what he perceived as incompetence or outright selfishness. with Walt it was basically him vs. cancer vs the world, which as formidable an opponent as it is, had no history behind what made it so gray. nvm I can't explain it this post makes no sense

Does anyone else expect the S3 opening flashback to go like this:

*doorbell rings*
*after a long Vince Gilligan Pause(tm), Saul opens it*
*Chuck is standing in the doorway*

He's a petty jerk, but I can think of far worse...

While he's not the biggest piece of shit, he definitely is the most believable and realistically written.

I'd call Negan or anyone on Game of Thrones bigger pieces of shit, but those are based in a fictional universe.

I think the important distinction that separates this from Breaking Bad characters or situations is the deep history between these two characters. Chuck watched, time and time again, people making excuses for Jimmy and celebrating him despite what he perceived as incompetence or outright selfishness. with Walt it was basically him vs. cancer vs the world, which as formative an opponent as it is, had no history behind what made it so gray. nvm I can't explain it this post makes no sense

You explained it perfectly.

No, Monocle. Don't you see that it's chuck diabolically pulling the strings on everyone? Jimmy has no choices in his life, it's all Chuck making his decisions for it through his maliciousness.

You are getting way too hostile over people on the internet holding a different opinion. That post was about how great the writing was, it had nothing to do with Chuck.

Werd

The sniper scene was the first time I felt BB knowledge really hurt a scene. A guy we know survives is aiming at three guys we know survive, a sort of ally and a random fodder guy. Shooting the fodder guy first would only expose his position.

The note just wasn't a particularly satisfying way to get out of it.

Veelk

Banned
You are getting way too hostile over people on the internet holding a different opinion. That post was about how great the writing was, it had nothing to do with Chuck.

And my response was composed of sarcasm purer than walts meth. What does that tell you?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
The sniper scene was the first time I felt BB knowledge really hurt a scene. A guy we know survives is aiming at three guys we know survive, a sort of ally and a random fodder guy. Shooting the fodder guy first would only expose his position.

I think that scene was just there to set up his relationship with Fring.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Yeah. Im really bothered with this too. Mike is going out of his way to ruin things for himself. If Salamanca left him alone, then move on.

At first I thought this may be more personal-- he asks why the cops werent called and why the truck wasnt in the news.

It would make sense if the cops were crooked and Mike was taking things personally because of what happened to his son.

But this isnt the case either as Salamanca simply got there before they did. I dont understand the motivation to go up against such a dangerous person

He is going after Salamanca because Hector killed the innocent bystander that saved the truck driver. He feels he has to avenge him because it is his fault.

It was the opposite for me because I expected Mike to shoot tio and that that is how he ends up in a wheelchair. So for me there was tension throughout the scene wondering if he would go through on shooting nacho to get to tio. The fact that I knew the twins would survive really just focused the scene on tio and nacho for me.

bill0527

Yeah it is interesting; a lot of people really desire to "root for" someone when watching media. I see it a lot when people review movies; "everyone is an asshole, they didn't provide anyone to root for." Some of my favorite films get that criticism and it's never bothered me.

And I think the show creators enjoy playing with these characters; making the likable person less ethical than the unlikable person for instance.

I'm not rooting for either Chuck or Jimmy. They are equally repugnant in their own special ways. Very interesting characters and great drama..but I gotta go with Shakespeare. Let's kill all the lawyers. And kill them tonight. Starting with Hamlin. I'm even starting to find Kim to be a turnoff as she plays both sides. 'Oh look at me...I do things the right way.' 'Oh I need my own separate office because i need to do things the right way and you do things the wrong way little Jimmy.' /puke. While helping Jimmy rip people off and cover up for him by keeping her mouth shut.

I think at this point I'm on team Nacho.

What I like the most about the Gilliganiverse is that the characters aren't archetypes, but actual people. They are complex. Their motives are often muddy and sometimes contradict. There's strong reasons to both root for and against pretty much every main character.. And that often changes between every commercial break.

I think the scene with Jimmy talking to the Kinko's guy was my favorite scene of the whole show so far. do we have any clue about the note on Mike's windshield?
a way to introduce Gus, maybe?

sorry I haven't read the thread in a while I just caught up with the last 3. man, that cliffhanger on the penultimate episode would have driven me insane if i would have watched it live. and then followed by a perfect opening flashback.. sssssso good!

Feels like the last two episodes foreshadowed Chuck's greatest fear: getting declared mentally incompetent and put in an asylum. That seems like the direction season 3 is going to head into, probably with a bunch of Chuck vs. Jimmy lawyering ahead of it.

Totally agree with the comments not really loving the way the Mike storyline went, his character is supposed to be the opposite of Walt and not pursue vengeance endlessly to his ruin. He tried to play Hector, he got some money out of it but 2 people died because of him and the BB Mike would just move on and bottle his rage. Bringing "Overwatch" Gus into it this way also seems forced and badly written.

Good season but not as great as season 1, hope they stop pussyfooting around and jam on the accelerator next season. There is a lot of great storytelling post Saul conversion, and lest we forget we also have the whole Cinnabon era to see.

Next season theory (don't know if mentioned by anyone else since I didn't go through the last few pages):

Chuck is going to tell Jimmy he recorded his confession and Jimmy is going to use that TEG to get Chuck committed to keep him quiet. People already think Chuck is a little wacky so it might work.

I don't think this show is ever meant to follow real storylines post-breaking bad, apart from small flashforwards at the beginning of each season. I don't think they'll ever do full episodes of that kind of stuff.

TaterTots

Banned
I was unaware the last episode was the season finale :/ I'm completely hooked on this show now. It's like watching a tiny snowball roll down a hill in slow motion, slowly growing bigger and bigger knowing it is going to hit something eventually. I read somewhere they only want to do 4-5 seasons, so things are going to start to pick up quickly here on out I guess. I wonder what will become of Kim. I also want to know how Tio ended up in the chair.

TaterTots

Banned
I don't think this show is ever meant to follow real storylines post-breaking bad, apart from small flashforwards at the beginning of each season. I don't think they'll ever do full episodes of that kind of stuff.

I agree, but they are showing flashforwards for a reason. I'd imagine its leading up to something for the final season. I'm not expecting a full episode dedicated to the current timeline though.

-griffy-

Banned
I know, but it looked like Salamanca dropped him after that.

The mentality makes no sense to me. And Nacho said it too-- Salamanca forgot all about him.

Him having a kid is reason enough to stop pursuing this

I think that makes it even worse for Mike to take. For Mike, that girl is his entire world, so for Hector to threaten her to get Mike to do something that is completely against his morals, and then just drop it like it was nothing and move on, that hurts Mike. He isn't going to forget that, and he wants to make Hector know that.

TaterTots

Banned
Incredible finale. Sad I have to wait again. Perhaps a Breaking Bad rewatch could happen in the meanwhile.

I'm on board for this idea. I've only watched through Breaking Bad once. I've forgotten a lot of little things. Brushing up on it may give me a better idea of how BCS is progressing.

I know you guys have probably covered this already, but I think Jimmy's ability to out Chuck as a fucking nutcase is a pretty formidable bargaining tool against that tape. he could also just argue that he felt guilty about worsening his brother's condition and was saying whatever it took to make him snap out of it. basically whoever he decides to play that tape to is going to be made aware of the highly suspect conditions under which it was recorded.

i really love how multifaceted Jimmy and Chuck's relationship and storylines are, it really goes much deeper than most shows. which is what makes consuming it so rewarding. Chuck is played absolutely brilliantly.

I will say I'm kind of upset that we didn't get anything as satisfying as a Chicago Sunroof payoff this season, comedically, but i did laugh a few times really hard.

Why are we all acting like Gus won't be in BCS? He's a major part of the Saul plotarc in BB, and Gilligan has already stated that the series will eventually catch up to the flashforwards (making the entire series a flashback).

And my response was composed of sarcasm purer than walts meth. What does that tell you?

Does that make your indignation invalid or something?

I know you guys have probably covered this already, but I think Jimmy's ability to out Chuck as a fucking nutcase is a pretty formidable bargaining tool against that tape.

I don't think so. What proof does he have that Chuck is a "fucking nutcase"? The EHS thing doesn't affect anyone except Chuck himself. The most he can do is get him involuntarily admitted to a medical ward on suspicion that he's a danger to others.

Honestly, all Jimmy has on Chuck right now is "he's mean". Chuck has not done anything to warrant any real legal action on behalf of Chuck's mental state. All the state is going to see is an asshole, not a mentally disabled individual.

And even if Chuck WERE to go off the deep end? Just like in the real world, if a person is smart, which Chuck is, they can fake normalcy. If they are smart, and Chuck is, they will make shit up that is completely believable. One of my friends LOST THEIR HOUSE because their significant other was clever enough to make THEM seem like the crazy one.

And Chuck is a lawyer.

That being said, I completely expect this plotline in a future season.

The only reasons we don't see Chuck in BB are because:
a) he's dead (and I can 100% see Gus having Chuck killed)
b) he's moved away
c) he's in a mental institution

We can cross off B because Chuck's mental state would never allow that to happen. He would consider that losing.

TaterTots

Banned
I know you guys have probably covered this already, but I think Jimmy's ability to out Chuck as a fucking nutcase is a pretty formidable bargaining tool against that tape. he could also just argue that he felt guilty about worsening his brother's condition and was saying whatever it took to make him snap out of it. basically whoever he decides to play that tape to is going to be made aware of the highly suspect conditions under which it was recorded.

i really love how multifaceted Jimmy and Chuck's relationship and storylines are, it really goes much deeper than most shows. which is what makes consuming it so rewarding. Chuck is played absolutely brilliantly.

I will say I'm kind of upset that we didn't get anything as satisfying as a Chicago Sunroof payoff this season, comedically, but i did laugh a few times really hard.

If there is a trial I can imagine the Doctor coming into play to discuss Chuck's mental health. I wouldn't doubt if season 3 ends will Jimmy finally having Chuck admitted to put a end to the nonsense.

Veelk

Banned
Does that make your indignation invalid or something?

What, to Monocle? Yeah, because there was no actual objection there. It was a pure joke response, an moderate exaggeration of the "fuck chuck" portion of the fandom, poking fun at them. And he got that joke crystal clear, hence equally facetious response. I had actual objections to other people, but the response you're choosing to showcase my 'indignation' as you call it was purely a joke response.

people say stuff like that all the time. that said, I didn't hear him say that.

I love the composition of some of these shots, the cinematography is bold.. sometimes to the point of being extreme, but I love every second of it. too many good shots to even remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom