• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYONCÉ RETURNS: POPGAF OT XIII

ChEkwe1UgAAu8Ly.jpg

Coming on Friday
duca_zps480ab501.gif
duca_zps480ab501.gif
duca_zps480ab501.gif
BLESS DADDY ZEDD

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I know it's a bit early for assumptions, but if Lemonade somehow interferes with Adele's impending sweep at the Grammy's, I will RIOT.

That being said, Daddy Lessons has all the makings to be considered one of Bey's best. I was actually quite disappointed in DL and Love Drought trailing on iTunes. She may be dragging Jay through the ninth circle of hell in Sorry, but Daddy Lessons' isn't without some nice subtle clocking. Plus, it can stand on its own and doesn't rely on the narrative of the album as much as some of the other tracks. Oh welllll.

Lemonade is the better album, plus has a very consistent flow. 25 has "Hello" and that is about it. People pretty much forget it came out. Adele will probably get "Song of the Year" unless something else comes out.

Meowster

Lemonade or Blackstar (leaning towards Lemonade) is going to be winning AOTY. The "real music" fad can seethe until she decides to release a good album again. I am so tired of the massive radio payola for the generic flop When We Were Young.

Beyonce crossed a threshold with Lemonade that no other contemporary has gotten close to hitting. She's become a respected legendary artist with a trademark style and a massive following. She consistently puts her mark on pop culture and somehow moves closer to the zeitgeist with every release. Lemonade has been talked about all over my social media, work, hell even my parents were talking about it. Her presence is an event <3

I love that her music became better (and popularity surged) when she became more comfortable being herself. The transformation from hollow pageant girl to a totally complex, brazen but sensitive woman is so refreshing. Listening to some tracks circa Dangerously In Love I'm like "wow this is not the same girl."

EDIT: I guess the question with 25 is where's the next single? When We Were Young had its little moment but since then it's been quiet on that front.

Majmun

All she did was ruin becky's life and PS. She didn't air it anywhere but her own country. Not here for non global acts TBH.

http://www.itunescharts.net/charts/albums/

Album: Lemonade

iTunes:
#1 United States
#1 United Kingdom
#1 Antigua and Barbuda
#1 Argentina
#1 Armenia
#1 Australia
#1 Austria
#1 Barbados
#1 Belarus
#1 Belgium
#1 Belize
#1 Bermuda
#1 Botswana
#1 Brazil
#1 British Virgin Islands
#1 Bulgaria
#1 Cambodia
#1 Canada
#1 Cape Verde
#1 Cayman Islands
#1 Chile
#1 Colombia
#1 Costa Rica
#1 Cyprus
#1 Czech Republic
#1 Denmark
#1 Dominican Republic
#1 Ecuador
#1 El Salvador
#1 Estonia
#1 Finland
#1 France
#1 Gambia
#1 Germany
#1 Ghana
#1 Greece
#1 Grenada
#1 Guatemala
#1 Honduras
#1 Hong Kong
#1 India
#1 Indonesia
#1 Ireland
#1 Israel
#1 Italy
#1 Kazakhstan
#1 Kenya
#1 Latvia
#1 Lithuania
#1 Luxembourg
#1 Macau
#1 Malaysia
#1 Malta
#1 Mauritius
#1 Mexico
#1 Mozambique
#1 Namibia
#1 Netherlands
#1 New Zealand
#1 Nicaragua
#1 Nigeria
#1 Norway
#1 Panama
#1 Papua New Guinea
#1 Peru
#1 Philippines
#1 Poland
#1 Portugal
#1 Romania
#1 Saint Kitts and Nevis
#1 Singapore
#1 Slovakia
#1 Slovenia
#1 South Africa
#1 Spain
#1 Sri Lanka
#1 Swaziland
#1 Sweden
#1 Switzerland
#1 Taiwan
#1 Tajikistan
#1 Thailand
#1 The Bahamas
#1 Trinidad and Tobago
#1 Turkey
#1 Uganda
#1 Vietnam
#1 Zimbabwe

OixfznA.gif

Majmun

Worldwide itunes singles chart:
01. Beyoncé - Formation
02. Beyoncé - 6 Inch
03. Beyoncé - Hold Up
04. Alan Walker - Faded
05. Drake - One Dance
06. Beyoncé - Freedom
07. Sia - Cheap Thrills
08. Mike Posner - I Took a Pill in Ibiza
09. twenty one pilots - Stressed Out
10. Beyoncé - Sorry

OixfznA.gif

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Yes! Can't wait, she slayed the big notes when she did it live!

Send Your Love (To Your New Lover) is her next single. Not the biggest fan of it.

Should have been the second single, more upbeat and fun than "When We Were Young"

the Beyonce shade is fantastic, y'all going on about how it'll only sell 600k etc while our faves are BLESSED if they even get 200k or so &#128514;

Meowster

Don't Hurt Yourself, Daddy Lessons, Love Drought

The Legend of Zelda teas in the production of Love Drought is amazing.

e5321925.png

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
does wwwy even count as a single?
shes not done shit for it

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
are we all hyped and ready for the formation tour
i'm ready for my wig to be snatchd in 360p low quality

Listening to some tracks circa Dangerously In Love I'm like "wow this is not the same girl."
You don't even have to go back that far. Listening to some tracks like "Best Thing I Never Had" and other filler dreck from 4, there's just a chasm between then and now as far as telling a cohesive story (both lyrically and musically) across the entire album, singles potential be damned.

I feel Rihanna tried something similar, but only achieved musical cohesion through (ironically) Anti's unique eclecticism. Lyrically and thematically she's a mess.

Leona tried too, but her message of empowerment grew redundant as I Am progressed. Her perspective on the subject didn't evolve as the album went on, so there wasn't much of a journey to true discovery the way that Lemonade invites us to grow in perception alongside the hurt and confused Beyonce.

it's a shame tbh because their swedish album was pretty good but it never got released internationally. instead they stole some songs from the original one and made some new ones that were chasing their own I Love It sound, and the album came out a year later and flopped.

edit: Manners, one of their older songs, is good.

Top Bottom