• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BG3 or Witcher 3?

Which is the better game?

• Baldurs Gate 3

Votes: 103 38.4%
  • Witcher 3

Votes: 165 61.6%

• Total voters
The major problem I had with BG3 is that it incentivizes you to play "the right way," ie as a hero. If you try to play any other way, you're just locking yourself out of quests and good loot. This isn't the case with W3, with how morally grey most quests are written, it makes the impact of player choices and narrative that much stronger as a result.

I am unable to understand what this post is trying to imply.

BG3 might incentivise you to play a specific way. But Witcher 3 gives you very few, inconsequential choices. There is pretty much one way to play the game. It just has edgy writing. Maybe thats what you prefer.

Also, trying to be polite here, but Witcher 3 has worst character progression in industry. Its baffling what they made. I was least excited about leveling up, ever.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Both games are incredible, but if I had to pick one, I'd go with The Witcher 3. For people who are big fans of Sapkowski's books in particular, TW3 felt like a beautifully crafted love letter, and it resonated with me deeply. Baldur's Gate 3 does many things exceedingly well, better even than TW3, but its setting feels... hmm, I hate the word "generic" so let's go with plain, compared to the rich Central/Eastern European-inspired world of the Witcher; and its oft-repeated story of a band of plucky heroes saving the world did not have the same emotional heft as that of Geralt and Yennefer searching for their adoptive daughter.

sigmaZ

BG3. Easy. But people who like action games will definitely prefer Witcher no question.

I found the setting of the Witcher 3 to be mostly boring and it took hours for the story to pick up and even when it did it was no where nearly as good as the hype. Gerald was also a REALLY boring protagonist for me. I hate tropey broody men protags in games (why I hated Clive after the second time skip in FF16).
Then there's the gameplay which is some if the worst I have experienced in an RPG. Overall I just had a mediocre experience and only played it to see what the commotion was about.

What I liked about BG3 was how they managed to convert so much of the tabletop roleplaying experience into a single player experience. It's the most unique content rich per area RPG I've ever played and ALOT of effort was put into the outcomes of player choice. I felt like I was actually rewarded for roleplaying the character the way I had envisioned them in my head. I also enjoyed the tactical combat once I modfied some things in the beginning (some things like missing when you're standing in front of an enemy doesn't fly with me). I found the soundtrack very good too despite me not being a huge fan of western symphonic stuff that much. The only thing I didn't like about the experience was the endless looting and lack of things to do with most loot. On my second playthrough I a much smoother progression knowing what was worth picking up or not. I suppose by now there's an autoloot mod though.
Yeah. Turtles.

sigmaZ

I'm very surprised that The Witcher 3 is winning the vote, very surprised indeed.
For many games people collectively hype themselves into and then they linger on enshrined in a nostalgia bubble. This why you have people outside of that bubble play the game and come to their own conclusions and the people in the bubble get really angry to defend it. This still happens with even some of my own personal favorite games from when I was a teenager. I only take people's gaming opinions seriously now if they are capable of admiting flaws of what they like and are able to justify why they like certain mechanics beyond making games fun for themselves just because they are hyped to play them.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
For many games people collectively hype themselves into and then they linger on enshrined in a nostalgia bubble. This why you have people outside of that bubble play the game and come to their own conclusions and the people in the bubble get really angry to defend it. This still happens with even some of my own personal favorite games from when I was a teenager. I only take people's gaming opinions seriously now if they are capable of admiting flaws of what they like and are able to justify why they like certain mechanics beyond making games fun for themselves just because they are hyped to play them.

I voted for BG3 but not really surprised to see Witcher 3 winning here. I loved both games myself, but I'm a big fan of Larian on their gameplay mechanics so BG3 got my vote. Folks can simply disagree....no worries. Don't think they need to justify it either way. If a couple of folks want to debate it then that's fine too. But ultimately, it comes down to opinions. Some can get far too heated just because someone else has a different view on a game.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Just base game, BG3. With HoS and B&W included, Witcher 3.

I don't think I ever felt bored in BG3, whereas I was getting close in parts with the base Witcher 3 (about 40+ hours in while in Skellige, but picked back up). Witcher 3 for me had higher peaks and the expansions were just all around solid.

I voted for BG3 but not really surprised to see Witcher 3 winning here. I loved both games myself, but I'm a big fan of Larian on their gameplay mechanics so BG3 got my vote. Folks can simply disagree....no worries. Don't think they need to justify it either way. If a couple of folks want to debate it then that's fine too. But ultimately, it comes down to opinions. Some can get far too heated just because someone else has a different view on a game.
The poll should've been "which game you enjoy more?"

BossLackey

Gold Member
Witcher 3 has never clicked for me. I tried at release and again a few years later. I could tell the game was really well made of course, but it just didn't hook me for some reason. Thing is, I KNOW it will. I can feel it. I'll be trying it again in the next few years for sure.

So at the moment, it's gotta be BG3 for me. As someone who's never been big into CRPGs, I feel like it rewired my brain in the first few hours. Game is just so dense and every time I had the thought of "I wonder if you can do this" I was met with a resounding "yes you can!" from the game.

Very very few games have elicited many of the same highs of BG3. I hope I can say the same thing about TW3 at some point!

Topher

Gold Member
The poll should've been "which game you enjoy more?"
Agencylife Bingo GIF by MX Player

Tomeru

The game with shadowheart.

Witcher 3 by a country mile. The music, the characters, the atmosphere, the lore... BG3 feels like a slapdash cartoon. There is nothing holding that world together. There is no charm or soul. The Witcher 3 is the greatest game ever and I don't even really like the gameplay. That is how much more of a sum of its parts it is. It is a triumph.

My dude, CP2077 is better than that balerino simulator you so adore.

Last edited:

bbeach123

Witcher 3.

BG3s pacing is slow as molasses.
when we talk about the pacing witcher 3 isnt a whole lot better ...

The baron quest line was a drag , the novigrad quest line was a drag , the Skelligs...Wait isnt it the whole game ?

After you finish it the adventure feel worth it . But when you playing everything feel so freaking slow .

Last edited:

wizaga

Neo Member
Dont think any modern game will ever have the same impact Witcher 3 had on me while i played it. By the time i went to skellinge islands and heard the music and felt the atmosphere i just knew that this game would be an experience that would follow me in my thoughts for many years to come. An absolute masterpiece.

Senua

Witcher 3 by a country mile. The music, the characters, the atmosphere, the lore... BG3 feels like a slapdash cartoon. There is nothing holding that world together. There is no charm or soul. The Witcher 3 is the greatest game ever and I don't even really like the gameplay. That is how much more of a sum of its parts it is. It is a triumph.
BG3 has no charm? are you serious

Fredrik

BG3 was so not for me. I read the reviews, listened to the hype, saw the awards, and eventually jumped in and played 25 hours and dropped it and want my hours back. Incredibly slow game. Super clunky. Can’t do anything without fiddling with icons and menus. I literally fell asleep while doing a fight. It’s just not for me.

On the other hand, haven’t finished The Witcher 3 either but I genuinely enjoyed what I played and should actually go play it instead of talking about it. Thanks OP for bringing it up!

Laptop1991

Witcher 3, i went off the isometric view with BG 1 back in the 90's and prefer the 3rd person view and world of the Witcher 3, it's a great game

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Witcher 3 being popular just reminds me again why its critical to ignore most game suggestions on here. What a shit game that was to play and control.

Havent tried Baldurs Gate 3 yet but it would almost surely win just by default.

itshutton

Theyre different games. Its like comparing Persona 5 to Dark Souls, only because they both are rpgs. Ridiculous. Both are amazing in their own way. There is nothing to compare.
But obviously Dark Souls is the superior game….

Still, Witcher 3 to BG3, I can’t vote. They are both firmly in my top 10 games of all time and both so different.

Blowjobs or penetration?

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Theyre different games. Its like comparing Persona 5 to Dark Souls, only because they both are rpgs. Ridiculous. Both are amazing in their own way. There is nothing to compare.

They are genre defining Western RPGS. Both classics but I prefer the Witcher.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
One can say which RPG approach they like better. Or like your example stay clear of both because A is too long and B makes you waste too much time getting gud.

Sentenza

If we are talking about narrative, writing and presentation it's The Witcher 3 hands down. And the music. GOD, the music in this game.
If we consider quest structure, reactivity, combat system etc I prefer BG3 by a landslide (not just because GENERALLY I like turn-based more than action, but also because I think BG3 is better as a TB system than TW3 is as an action).

For context I'll add that both are games I liked a lot, all things considered, but both also could have me rambling about some of their flaws and puzzling design decisions for hours.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
BG3.

The Witcher 3 is a fantastic narrative, world, characters, writing, lore... in a game that's mostly about following the red line and doing combat so mindless and easy you have to slide the difficulty slider to max to feel anything. For an RPG there's hardly any RPG in it. I think I remember there being more in the first two games.

BG3 has everything TW3 has but it's also a deeply compelling video game that offers so much more versatility and replayability, RPG choices in abundance, deep tactical combat that changes depending on your party setup, etc.

TW3 is great, but it can't compete as a game. It's a brilliant interactive story.

Kokoloko85

BG3 and its not even close for me.

Witcher 3 combat is trash in my opinion, you know that thing the gameplay rides.

Bojji

BG3 was so not for me. I read the reviews, listened to the hype, saw the awards, and eventually jumped in and played 25 hours and dropped it and want my hours back. Incredibly slow game. Super clunky. Can’t do anything without fiddling with icons and menus. I literally fell asleep while doing a fight. It’s just not for me.

On the other hand, haven’t finished The Witcher 3 either but I genuinely enjoyed what I played and should actually go play it instead of talking about it. Thanks OP for bringing it up!

That's my take. I tried BG3 for few hours and left it with no desire to continue... While I completed W3 with both expansions 2x already.

This game is just not for me, I can see where this praise comes and quality is there etc.

Penetration ofc. The woman gets no pleasure from a bj.

IDK, some women love sucking dick...

It's the same for guys that love licking pussy (I like it personally), they get the pleasure but not from their sexual organ.

Minsc

Gold Member
Not close for me. Witcher 3.

if you had asked me as a teenager with all the time in the world though, easily BG3.

Surprising since W3 is the longer game... HLTB has them pegged at:

TW3 Main: 51 + 15 + 10 (expansions) = 76 hours
TW3 Main + Extras (side quests which are A++) 103 + 28 + 14 = 145 hours

BG3 Main: 64 hours
BG3 Main + Extras: 108 hours

So BG3 is a good 30%+ shorter than TW3.

BG3 is an incredible achievement - but it is a bit of a chore and there is a lot of maths. Sometimes you just want to swing a big sword! I would go Witcher 3 unless you love tabletop d and d

Last edited:

Bojji

BG3 and its not even close for me.

Witcher 3 combat is trash in my opinion, you know that thing the gameplay rides.

TW3 is like 33% of talking, 33% of walking/riding horse/exploring and 33% of combat.

It's not the most important element of the game, unlike ER for example.

Top Bottom