• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Addnan

What is up with the use of cable disk brakes on road/cyclocross bikes. Of the big bike brands you need to get to £1300-1400 before seeing hydraulic. Is it the same for mtb? I think I am going to get an Evans Cycles own brand (Pinnacle) cyclocross bike just because of the damn brakes. Rest of specs seem good too though.

There's not been a lot of options for hydraulics on those style levers until relatively recently.

...and no, cable disc brakes have never been that popular in MTB. Seemed to go from V-Brakes straight to hydraulic discs. You still see them on particularly cheap bikes that are pretending to be proper bikes though. People do still stick them on bikepacking bikes, for "reliability", but I've never really understood it. As long as you bleed them beforehand you could do thousands of miles before needing to do anything with them. There's the argument about pulling a hose in a crash, but if you've crashed that badly that hoses are getting ripped from your bike, then you're likely to have bigger problems.

Mech disc brakes are popular on fatbikes because hydraulics can lose pressure in the cold. Mine has mechanicals because it's cheap, but they work quite well.

If you're riding in (really) cold you just need to make sure you have brakes that use DOT fluid. Mineral oil doesn't work as well when you get past -15c.

I now own a modern mountain bike (previous is a 1997 Cannondale F500): Kona Big Honzo DL. Maiden voyage was in the snow.

zfnBiUI.jpg

fw1akhA.jpg

Laekon

What is up with the use of cable disk brakes on road/cyclocross bikes. Of the big bike brands you need to get to £1300-1400 before seeing hydraulic. Is it the same for mtb? I think I am going to get an Evans Cycles own brand (Pinnacle) cyclocross bike just because of the damn brakes. Rest of specs seem good too though.

Its the lack of Shimano and SRAM making affordable road levers. It's been hard on them to fit the reservoir in with the shifting components. look at the size of the low end Shimano hydraulic road levers, they are huge. On a lot of road bikes the shifter/brake levers are the 3 to 4th most expensive part.

Honestly, for all the difference skinner tyres make, you might as well leave the pluses on there.

Unrelated, turns out I'm only human like the rest of you. :(

untitledacs2k.png

Was absolutely everything I had. Held on as long as I could, and only planned on taking a couple of minutes to recover... but as soon as I stopped everything started to seize up. To be honest I'm amazed I lasted as long as I did because yesterday was 1RM day on squats so I'm absolutely full of DOMS.

I did set new 60 minute, 90 minute and 120 minute records though.

Edit - Highest ever average heart rate too.

Went bike shopping today. This will be the first bike I've owned as an adult. I was going to get a hybrid until I talked to a couple of guys at two different bike shops. I'd like to work my way up to longer rides and there are a ton of paved paths near me. The people I know that ride either have dedicated road or MTBs and a hybrid wouldn't let me keep up on either terrain type so I guess I'm getting a road bike or maybe an all-rounder.

This is one I was being steered towards: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-sl-disc-2

Anything better in this price range I should be looking at? I was told the Giants offer the best value in terms of the components that come with the bike (vs Specialized, the other brand this shop carries).

Laekon

Went bike shopping today. This will be the first bike I've owned as an adult. I was going to get a hybrid until I talked to a couple of guys at two different bike shops. I'd like to work my way up to longer rides and there are a ton of paved paths near me. The people I know that ride either have dedicated road or MTBs and a hybrid wouldn't let me keep up on either terrain type so I guess I'm getting a road bike or maybe an all-rounder.

This is one I was being steered towards: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-sl-disc-2

Anything better in this price range I should be looking at? I was told the Giants offer the best value in terms of the components that come with the bike (vs Specialized, the other brand this shop carries).
Giant is the best value brand mainly they are the largest bike manufacturer. They are the only large brand that makes all their bikes themselves and the make bikes for a lot of other brands. You can get cheaper bikes with the same parts but the Giant frames are always better. That bike is a great place to start except for 2 things that don't matter a lot. First I really don't like mechanical disc brakes, they just don't feel good. They do get better though as they break in and if you never had anything else then the feeling doesn't matter. Plus to get hydraulic you need to spend another $500 or more. The other issue is the tires. Giant is really cheap here as the tires don't have any flat protection. They basically save $1.20 a bike by not having a puncture resistant belt in the tire. Other companies do the same though. I would either try to get them to swap them out or just ride them and see how many flats you get.

broony

I'm fairly new to cycling but I was looking for my first road bike last year. After lots of reading it seemed Giant defys were a good choice for an entry / intermediate level bike. The contend I believe replace the standard defys for 2017. I'd say that would be a good choice. I really like the defy I bought.

Been dealing with a nagging shin & hip flexor pain and I'm beginning to think it's from mountain biking. Ironic considering what I bought, but I I'm thinking my fit is off a bit.

Naturally it's only on the left side (right side dominant) which makes it a nightmare to figure out.

Grim ride this morning. Ended up going through some of the roughest areas of Cardiff and Newport and then cycling back through the industrial areas along the coastline. Muddy, dirty and just generally unpleasant.

Still, made me feel incredibly privileged.

Been dealing with a nagging shin & hip flexor pain and I'm beginning to think it's from mountain biking. Ironic considering what I bought, but I I'm thinking my fit is off a bit.

Naturally it's only on the left side (right side dominant) which makes it a nightmare to figure out.

Try flat pedals!

Addnan

you could consider their cyclocross bike. Shimano 105 and you can throw on some more slicker 28mm tyres when riding on the road. It is another $200. not sure what the price range you are looking at is.

Giant is the best value brand mainly they are the largest bike manufacturer. They are the only large brand that makes all their bikes themselves and the make bikes for a lot of other brands. You can get cheaper bikes with the same parts but the Giant frames are always better. That bike is a great place to start except for 2 things that don't matter a lot. First I really don't like mechanical disc brakes, they just don't feel good. They do get better though as they break in and if you never had anything else then the feeling doesn't matter. Plus to get hydraulic you need to spend another $500 or more. The other issue is the tires. Giant is really cheap here as the tires don't have any flat protection. They basically save $1.20 a bike by not having a puncture resistant belt in the tire. Other companies do the same though. I would either try to get them to swap them out or just ride them and see how many flats you get.
Thanks! I got the same feedback from someone else so i' definitely consider this.
you could consider their cyclocross bike. Shimano 105 and you can throw on some more slicker 28mm tyres when riding on the road. It is another $200. not sure what the price range you are looking at is.
Thanks - I'll check it out. Price range is $1200-ish but could potentially go up a bit (or down obviously).

Laekon

Thanks - I'll check it out. Price range is $1200-ish but could potentially go up a bit (or down obviously).

It's just a hybrid with drop bars instead of flat bars. A high quality one of course. If you have technical trails around you won't keep up with people on regular mtn bikes. If you stick to smoother trails and fire roads it will depended more on skill and fitness. The other thing is the position is more aggressive on the cross bike.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Got a Trek FX 2 and I'm going to start doing my 16.2mi commute to work on it this week. I did short rides to work in my old town but this is my first real metro cycling. Fortunately, I worked out a route that for the most part has bike lanes, I'm just a bit iffy on the fact I'll be going to work before sunrise. The afternoon ride home will be a treat, though. I've got a decent chance at a position at a different place that has a 20 mile ride to it that is almost entirely paved bike lane and stays away from downtown, so hopefully I get that one.

Laekon

Got a Trek FX 2 and I'm going to start doing my 16.2mi commute to work on it this week. I did short rides to work in my old town but this is my first real metro cycling. Fortunately, I worked out a route that for the most part has bike lanes, I'm just a bit iffy on the fact I'll be going to work before sunrise. The afternoon ride home will be a treat, though. I've got a decent chance at a position at a different place that has a 20 mile ride to it that is almost entirely paved bike lane and stays away from downtown, so hopefully I get that one.

Do you have decent lights? There are a lot of good ones out there. Just remember the faster you ride the more powerful your front light needs to be.

All right, new tyres day! Some tubeless ready WTB Wolverines for the full susser, dirt cheap from CRC. Now to wait two months until it starts thawing for real.

I just love new tyres, it always feels like a new bike for a while.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Do you have decent lights? There are a lot of good ones out there. Just remember the faster you ride the more powerful your front light needs to be.
I have good lights but today showed me I need a better seat for a ride that long.

teepo

the two things that will immediately improve the quality of life on a low to mid tier bike are the tires and the saddle.

it's hard to pinpoint what type of saddle you'd need though. personally i'd avoid a cushioned seat even if you're pedaling while sitting upright, which i assume you're doing. you should be looking for a performance/road saddle with the mileage you'll be putting, which might seem uncomfortable at first but your body will adjust

also, proper clothing is a must. especially if you plan on using that 20 mile paved trail

Addnan

Any web pages you guys can suggest for idiots intro to mountain biking.. I would really like to own one, but I have only ridden the super shitty £70 mtb from Halfords for when I was a kid. groupsets, frame shape/style, usage etc. Anything really. I know very little about that stuff, but starting research on it because you guys have made it look damn fun.

Mascot

Any web pages you guys can suggest for idiots intro to mountain biking.. I would really like to own one, but I have only ridden the super shitty £70 mtb from Halfords for when I was a kid. groupsets, frame shape/style, usage etc. Anything really. I know very little about that stuff, but starting research on it because you guys have made it look damn fun.

Bikeradar is OK, and they have a beginner's guide to mountain biking series.

(it's seven years old, mind)

This one's pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arwxbuYcRvA&list=PL5S7V5NhM8JQoi8vhELX-9aYHmRtmCveT

WedgeX

Banned
I'm fairly new to cycling but I was looking for my first road bike last year. After lots of reading it seemed Giant defys were a good choice for an entry / intermediate level bike. The contend I believe replace the standard defys for 2017. I'd say that would be a good choice. I really like the defy I bought.

I picked up a barely used Defy not long ago. It treats me amazingly well.

Great news is that these days you can get some amazing mountain bikes for very little money (relatively). That's even without considering sales.

Brands like Voodoo at Halfords and Calibre at Go Outdoors are changing what you can expect from a cheap bike. No longer are they just bike shaped objects.

Just watching that and already I disagree with a lot of it. lol. You sure as shit don't need a backpack, or gloves, or a pump with a gauge.

Backpack is useful but not mandatory, gloves on the other hand are a must. A newb will fall at some point and if you get road rash on the palms of your hand it's game over new hobby. A good floor pump is pretty close to a must also, but it might take some time until you realize you need one.

This is for mountain biking though. If you're worried about crashing then you want knee pads and (to a lesser extent), elbow pads. At worst your hands will get a bit dirty unless you break something, in which case the gloves wouldn't have helped anyway. I'd say they're only essential if you suffer with compression of the ulnar nerve.

As for the pump, there are posters here who still do nothing more than the squeeze test on their tyres. If you're running a fat bike on tubeless, sure, pressure is very important... but pump gauges are shit anyway, so you'll want an actual pressure gauge for working with that.

Mascot

I always wear gloves now. I remember in the past picking gravel out of palm blisters days after the event.

It was one hell of a wank though.

Top Bottom