• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Addnan

Those the R4's?

Been eyeing up a pair of new shoes, had the R1's on my shortlist but heard the Fizik sizing can be quite narrow. Not had chance to go and try a few pairs out yet. Would like some Sidi Carbon Vernice but again, heard they are narrow too. Love the Boa dials though, much better than the ratchet system and nice to see the new Shimano shoes have joined in.
R4 yeah. Everyday shoes I wear 9.5-10 UK size. These are 44, according to Fizik that's a 9.75 UK. My feet are not on the narrow side either. For my feet at least, it seems to be true to size. Before these I had a Specialized pair which I had to size up to a 45.

T8SC

R4 yeah. Everyday shoes I wear 9.5-10 UK size. These are 44, according to Fizik that's a 9.75 UK. My feet are not on the narrow side either. For my feet at least, it seems to be true to size. Before these I had a Specialized pair which I had to size up to a 45.

I'll have to get myself to a shop & try some one. My current ones are getting past their best.

Can I pick your brain on something? I cannot figure out why, but for some reason my left foot has a tendency to toe in and my heel goes all the way out on the up stroke. Basically when I'm hitting the 10 o'clock position my heel swings out, and my toe points in and down. It ends up putting some strain on my abductor and hip. Surprisingly my knee stays straight.

I can't seem to figure out if it's cleat or just poor pedaling mechanics when hammering on the mountain bike, because it doesn't really happen on my road bike.

Sorry for the delay. Work has been a bit stressful so I wanted to avoid any more bike talk for a bit.

Hard to tell without seeing you pedal, but it sounds like you could be dealing with a minor leg length discrepancy. Do you get any numbness in your toes?

Also: Riding from Pittsburgh to DC this fall!

20100919great_allegheny_passage_407.gif

It will be my first self supported tour in over a decade. :D

Hard to tell without seeing you pedal, but it sounds like you could be dealing with a minor leg length discrepancy. Do you get any numbness in your toes?

Also: Riding from Pittsburgh to DC this fall!

20100919great_allegheny_passage_407.gif

It will be my first self supported tour in over a decade. :D

No numbness, but when I had PT work last year he said there was a very slight discrepancy in my legs but nothing that concerned him. I'm suspecting that while my seat height feels good in some aspects, it's not in others. I may drop it 2-3mm and see how it goes. If nothing after a weeks I know where to go ;)

Also that DC/Pitt ride is something I want to do because of how good it is for a first time touring ride.

kottila

Today was the third time I've broken a derailleur cable and every time it had happened, I've never been further away from home than a few km. Incredible lucky. Climbing in 34-12 was a new feeling and more fun than I thought it would be. Fixie next?

HTupolev

Let's also not forget that obsessing over looks is a very pro thing to do.

Why is Jacques Anquetil's hair absolutely magnificent in every photo ever? Because he carried a comb in his jersey pocket. You never know when a cycling cap or a crash might ruffle your pompadour.

Guys, so i'm kind of a bike noob and I recently got a new bike saddle and apparently it comes with a clam shell clamp? But the seatpost I have is single bolt or something. I just took off the clamshell clamp and used my existing clamp. But now the seat starts to wriggle loose from the bolt when i'm riding. Do I need to buy the other type of seatpost? Or is there a way I can secure the new saddle so that it doesn't get loose. Any help would be appreciated.

Guys, so i'm kind of a bike noob and I recently got a new bike saddle and apparently it comes with a clam shell clamp? But the seatpost I have is single bolt or something. I just took off the clamshell clamp and used my existing clamp. But now the seat starts to wriggle loose from the bolt when i'm riding. Do I need to buy the other type of seatpost? Or is there a way I can secure the new saddle so that it doesn't get loose. Any help would be appreciated.

Did you make sure the seat posts were the same diameter?

Hello bikegaf, I have a question for you. Do people use tubeless mountain bike rims anymore. I have a set of 26" mavic crossmax UST from like 2003 that I would like to sell. I'm not sure how marketable they are if tubeless tires are hard to come by.

Just got back from a record attempt on the North to South Wales bikepacking route "The Cambrian Trail".

Only just made it in the end, but I broke the record by something like 25 minutes (2 days, 14 hours, 50 minutes). Conditions were utterly horrific at times, and I genuinely thought I was going to freeze to death on the second day as I couldn't find shelter. As usual I didn't sleep, so the whole three days only saw me lay down for a few hours to recover my muscles a bit (I really need to learn how to sleep outdoors). Blew my hamstring in the last four hours and by the time I finished I couldn't even cycle back to Swansea for food / a train. I had to sit there huddled into a shop front in some random town at 3am, waiting for my missus to pick me up.

You can find my numbers / details here:

https://www.strava.com/activities/987346510
https://www.strava.com/activities/987346583
https://www.strava.com/activities/987346728

Route details here:
https://cambriantrail.wordpress.com/

Total Distance: 513 km (318 miles)
Total Ascent: 14,400 metres (47,100 feet)
Difficulty: Very hard, with sustained and challenging climbs, some hike-a-bike in parts, exposed tracks, sparse resupply at times.

Total time in the saddle over the 3 days was about 41 hours.

Mascot

Just got back from a record attempt on the North to South Wales bikepacking route "The Cambrian Trail".

Only just made it in the end, but I broke the record by something like 25 minutes (2 days, 14 hours, 50 minutes). Conditions were utterly horrific at times, and I genuinely thought I was going to freeze to death on the second day as I couldn't find shelter. As usual I didn't sleep, so the whole three days only saw me lay down for a few hours to recover my muscles a bit (I really need to learn how to sleep outdoors). Blew my hamstring in the last four hours and by the time I finished I couldn't even cycle back to Swansea for food / a train. I had to sit there huddled into a shop front in some random town at 3am, waiting for my missus to pick me up.

Route details here:

Good effort buddy.

You're fucking MAD, but it's a madness to be admired. Somehow.

Which bike did you abuse?

The canyon race bike. I fear it's ruined because it took some pretty massive rock strikes and the headset ended up rocking and knocking massively. I'll look at it when I'm a little less psychologically fragile though.

Definitely need to invest in a proper bikepacking frame.

frontieruk

You mention psychological fragility, is it from the terrain beating on you or mental state of solo riding for 3 days?

I'd go for sleep deprivation, three days no sleep topped off with gargantuan physical effort is going to leave you fragile and id not be surprised if when his wife arrived to pick him up he was as happy as if someone had found him after being ship wrecked

The solo bit was interesting. When I got to a fairly busy town I actually found myself a bit unnerved by all the people. Wales can be extremely remote when you're up in the hills, so I was going hours at a time without seeing anyway.

...and to be honest, I was in survival mode by the time I got picked up, so it was very much about getting my shit in the car, getting warm and getting food. I was more apologetic than anything. lol

In part I think the fragility is because of the fear aspect. A lot of the terrain was of the sort that you fuck up, you're going to die, or at least you'd be extremely lucky if someone could get to you in time. Doing that again and again and again takes its toll.

So it was a combination of everything it seems then.

There was guy by me who tried to ride solo across the US and ended up having a mental breakdown. The thing that sucks was he made it from the east coast out to Arizona before it all fell apart. He said he totally underestimated the desert.

I decided to give into the hype and buy some Oakleys.

They are legit. The PRIZM lenses really do add a ton of contrast and make everything easier to see.

Addnan

I had my fake oakleys stuck to my helmet. forgot they were there... Was going down a small hill, they fell. Bit on the side broke and now I have it taped together. Another reason not to own Oakleys.

Teggy

Route details here:

Total Distance: 513 km (318 miles)
Total Ascent: 14,400 metres (47,100 feet)
Difficulty: Very hard, with sustained and challenging climbs, some hike-a-bike in parts, exposed tracks, sparse resupply at times.

I use my best Ron Weasley impression when I say, "Are you mental?"

Amazing stuff

Franziska

Started bike commuting in Feb, and managed to get my third flat today.

Is upgrading to flat resistant tyres worth it? (I already top up pressure and clean treads every week, more often if I notice low pressure/crap jammed)

The base model at the uni shop costs $35/each, equalling a $70 investment. It costs me $10 (+inconvenience) for the replacement tube and hauling bike home. =$70 in 7 months.

So the question is how much will upgrading reduce the frequency of punctures?

I have a 10km one way commute, 4km is on a moderately hilly zone along construction/roadworks and another 4k is along mostly flat parkland. 2km is road biking normal city traffic.

Addnan

If I do go for puncture resistance, what kind should I get?

(I'm a newb to cycles, so let me know the specific pros and cons of each)

What bike do you have? You'll need to know the size of the wheel and approximately the widest you can fit in there. Assuming typical commuter bike with 700c wheels then Schwalbe Marathon Plus seems to do well with commuters with good puncture resistance. I would get the 32-35c (if you can fit the width) for a nice level of comfort. If you want something a bit faster and lighter, then the Continental 4 seasons is good, puncture resistant, pretty fast, light, but probably degrades a bit quicker than the marathon plus and also more expensive. They do go up to 32c but can be hard to find outside of Germany it seems, so would realistically need to get them in 28c. If the park area you go through is dirt/gravel then maybe something a bit more knobbly like the continental cyclocross speed

T8SC

I might be on TV tonight, the Bike channel filmed & are doing a show about this years Fred Whitton Challenge. I hope my hair isn't out of place. #KnottTooSerious #HONest #NEWjokesplease

kottila

Where do you even get the fake kind? I've heard they're still pretty damn good.

Aliexpress have poc, oakley, rudy project etc, but they won't show brand names in ads as they will be taken down. Just search for model name (jawbreaker, tralyx, radar etc) and compare pictures. I bought an extra lense for my tralyx that the sender forgot to send with my last order and they sent me an extra pair f glasses as well. Ordered one pair of glasses and four lenses and I have received 4 glasses and 4 lenses

Where do you even get the fake kind? I've heard they're still pretty damn good.

Aliexpress

As Kottila said just search for the model name and you'll get some results. I did some filtering to make sure I was buying from a high seller. The pair I got were listed as "radar" but the URL and reviews were for POC's. When they showed up they were in fact Radar's, but if they were POC's I wouldn't have minded.

Franziska

What bike do you have? You'll need to know the size of the wheel and approximately the widest you can fit in there.

Its the cheapest bike that the shop had (cruiser with a single rotating gear shifter).

Its fit with 700x32c Kenda treads right now. The park area is mostly paved but its not super well maintained, so the road has a fair few cracks (but no potholes) and has leaves/twigs/branches all over, worse now because autumn.

Also, I'd noticed a toy train like sound* before I replaced the inner tube, and after installing a new tube it seems worse. I can't seem to figure out what is causing it as brakes/fender/wheel are not in contact no matter how fast I go.

*It makes a chugging/rubbing sound with a frequency proportional to my speed.

I didn't tighten the wheel enough so they were getting out of true when I was actually sitting on the bike :blush:

Mascot

Aliexpress have poc, oakley, rudy project etc, but they won't show brand names in ads as they will be taken down. Just search for model name (jawbreaker, tralyx, radar etc) and compare pictures. I bought an extra lense for my tralyx that the sender forgot to send with my last order and they sent me an extra pair f glasses as well. Ordered one pair of glasses and four lenses and I have received 4 glasses and 4 lenses

Aliexpress

As Kottila said just search for the model name and you'll get some results. I did some filtering to make sure I was buying from a high seller. The pair I got were listed as "radar" but the URL and reviews were for POC's. When they showed up they were in fact Radar's, but if they were POC's I wouldn't have minded.

The AliExpress Oakley homages I've bought in the past have all been 100% copies complete with branding, cases, tags etc, but all had really dark lenses, too dark to be useable in the woods to be honest. How are the ones you guys have bought?

Top Bottom