• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

A chocolate lab holds the record for most turds done in my back garden in one afternoon. Eleven, in case you were wondering. It's a mate's dog. He brought it round unannounced yesterday actually, but it must have been constipated. It did manage to drop a metric ton of fur in the house just walking from the front door through to the back, and slobber all over my glazed conservatory doors though.

Nice dog. Banned from the house now though.

Godan

So the past few days i have been thinking of getting a bike to go to work with as we do i cycletowork program in the UK. Its about 5 miles to my work.

Just looking for what kind of bike to go for. I am a very unfit person and i am 6'5 and weigh about 21 stone (290+ pounds) and hoping this will change as i get more exercise. I never see any max user weight limit on any bike online and just dont know if i am too fat for some of them.

Addnan

So the past few days i have been thinking of getting a bike to go to work with as we do i cycletowork program in the UK. Its about 5 miles to my work.

Just looking for what kind of bike to go for. I am a very unfit person and i am 6'5 and weigh about 21 stone (290+ pounds) and hoping this will change as i get more exercise. I never see any max user weight limit on any bike online and just dont know if i am too fat for some of them.
Go to your bike shop and have a chat. Your weight shouldn't be an issue. The super light carbon bikes come with weight rating of 120kg or so and realistically can take more. So a solid aluminium or steel bike should be able to easily take your weight. You won't be able yo run those fancy carbon wheels buts that's not an issue for commuting and casual riding. If your main goal is to commute and have casual rides then so some sort of flat bar hybrid bike would be best bet. If you hope to do other stuff, off road, long distance road cycling etc at some point then have to give that a think and then can decide a style of bike based on what you think you might want to do.

Buddy fell on our ride yesterday and had the bar slam into his chest, knocking the wind completely out of him. Made me think that I should REALLY get the plus put back into my mountain bars.

frontieruk

Its strava's global ride to work challenge Thursday finally a challenge I don't have to go out my way to complete!!!

I know on the giant website when you've selected bike by hitting shop now there's a what's my size link which brings up a height chart and weight limits get shown there, the aluxx escape 1 is good for a ride up to 300lbs plus an additional 30lbs luggage.

Do you guys recommend using fenders on a road bike for riding in the rain?

If so, what specific fenders would you recommend? Does my bike need a mount point?

frontieruk

Do you guys recommend using fenders on a road bike for riding in the rain?

If so, what specific fenders would you recommend? Does my bike need a mount point?

I bung an ass saver in mine, but I don't ride in groups which may affect your decision

Saw these on a bike though, I'm sure you could find something cheaper though.

ShapeGSX

I'm starting to train using power with my Tacx Flux trainer. I want to increase my FTP so I can improve my time at a local time trial, and keep up better on group rides. In addition, I enjoy sprinting, so I want to improve my time on a few key Strava segments in the area. :)

I want to get a power meter for the road. I'm torn between the 4iiii Precision left side for $400, or the WatTeam Powerbeat dual sided for $500. With the WatTeam, I'd also have to change my crank from my current 105 5700 to a 105 5800, for around $85.

The WatTeam, I have some concerns about the durability. The sensors get glued onto the crank and they are out there to get knocked around.

The 4iiii seems to be more out of the way.

Does anyone here have any experience with either of these power meters?

Links to reviews:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/12/4iiii-precision-review.html
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/02/watteam-powerbeat-gen2-power-meter-in-depth-review.html

teepo

isn't there some massive 20% off sale for all trainers and powermeters going on for one of dcrainmaker's affiliates?

take advantage of that and purchase a quraq dfour aluminum crank for a little over 600. that is assuming it's compatible with your setup

edit: there is a sale which ends may 20th

T8SC

How did it go. Show off some numbers!

I wasn't the fastest, I think he was on drugs haha but I got my 6hr time and that's what my target was.

So much pain, windier than the forecast said too (typical) and then when I wanted a bit of a breeze on Hardknott, it was as still as a vacuum and clear skies, was like being inside an oven.

Time to work on cracking 6hrs next year.

Teggy

I'm starting to train using power with my Tacx Flux trainer. I want to increase my FTP so I can improve my time at a local time trial, and keep up better on group rides. In addition, I enjoy sprinting, so I want to improve my time on a few key Strava segments in the area. :)

I want to get a power meter for the road. I'm torn between the 4iiii Precision left side for $400, or the WatTeam Powerbeat dual sided for $500. With the WatTeam, I'd also have to change my crank from my current 105 5700 to a 105 5800, for around $85.

The WatTeam, I have some concerns about the durability. The sensors get glued onto the crank and they are out there to get knocked around.

The 4iiii seems to be more out of the way.

Does anyone here have any experience with either of these power meters?

Links to reviews:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/12/4iiii-precision-review.html
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/02/watteam-powerbeat-gen2-power-meter-in-depth-review.html

Stages is doing a closeout on their 105 5700 arm for $369

https://store.stagescycling.com/stages-power-meter---105-5700-p836.aspx

ShapeGSX

isn't there some massive 20% off sale for all trainers and powermeters going on for one of dcrainmaker's affiliates?

take advantage of that and purchase a quraq dfour aluminum crank for a little over 600. that is assuming it's compatible with your setup

edit: there is a sale which ends may 20th

That is exactly why I am asking right now.

I have a Shimano 105 5700 setup on a 2011 Giant TCR Composite 2. I have been thinking about upgrading in the next couple years. So I don't want to spend massively here.

Unfortunately, 4iiii is out of stock at the moment at clever training, and won't be in stock for 5 to 8 weeks. But the price difference between CleverTraining and getting it directly from 4iiii is only $80, and I'll probably just eat that cost to get it now in the 2017 season.

The Quarq DFour is out of stock, too. I don't really like the look of the Quarq when paired with Shimano chainrings, which is silly, but I have to look at it. :)

Godan

Go to your bike shop and have a chat. Your weight shouldn't be an issue. The super light carbon bikes come with weight rating of 120kg or so and realistically can take more. So a solid aluminium or steel bike should be able to easily take your weight. You won't be able yo run those fancy carbon wheels buts that's not an issue for commuting and casual riding. If your main goal is to commute and have casual rides then so some sort of flat bar hybrid bike would be best bet. If you hope to do other stuff, off road, long distance road cycling etc at some point then have to give that a think and then can decide a style of bike based on what you think you might want to do.

I know on the giant website when you've selected bike by hitting shop now there's a what's my size link which brings up a height chart and weight limits get shown there, the aluxx escape 1 is good for a ride up to 300lbs plus an additional 30lbs luggage.

Thanks for the replies. Think i will go into one of the bike shops in the city i stay in and see them then. Was going to use halfords in the UK but a friend told me not to use them as i would be best to go to a bike shop as the support would be far better there.

frontieruk

Thanks for the replies. Think i will go into one of the bike shops in the city i stay in and see them then. Was going to use halfords in the UK but a friend told me not to use them as i would be best to go to a bike shop as the support would be far better there.

That's the best thing, halfords is a crap shoot for service.

damn, I was just reading about him riding on the top tube.

And yet it doesn't surprise me :(

Addnan

Any tricks to getting cleat position somehow the same on a completely new pair of shoes (different brand, shape everything haha). Getting new shoes on Friday and had a long ride planned for Saturday... but I guess using new shoes for that probably isn't the best idea I have ever come up with.

frontieruk

Any tricks to getting cleat position somehow the same on a completely new pair of shoes (different brand, shape everything haha). Getting new shoes on Friday and had a long ride planned for Saturday... but I guess using new shoes for that probably isn't the best idea I have ever come up with.
video id suggest using masking tape on the shoe for the marking so it just pulls off though.

Mascot

Bit of pedal therapy last night after work. A good end to a bad day.

1_zpsuigo42hf.jpg

My motivation to ride my road bike is way down this year. Ever since it started breaking 45/50 regularly I've been less willing to ride unless it's going to be 65+.

Addnan

The sun is finally out! Has been a miserable week or two down here.
Fuck it. I'll upload a picture when on a computer. This is too hard!

edit:
imag07034hj7o.jpg

Stryder

The sun is finally out! Has been a miserable week or two down here.
Fuck it. I'll upload a picture when on a computer. This is too hard!

Ah, a fellow R872 owner!

How're you enjoying it? Mine's still going strong after 4+ years now, don't really feel the need to move away from it at all. Solid bike.

Curious as to how some of you plan out your goals? In previous years I used miles as a goal (2500>3000>3500) but am beginning to find it's causing riding to feel more like a job and less fun. Even more so when I think about how I can do 40-50 miles without much effort now, and have already done multiple 100 mile rides over the three years.

With mountain biking more in my mix I was thinking of moving over to X hours a week since a 2 hour ride in the woods is less miles, but still demanding physically.

Addnan

Ah, a fellow R872 owner!

How're you enjoying it? Mine's still going strong after 4+ years now, don't really feel the need to move away from it at all. Solid bike.
I love it so far. Can't fault the frame at all. Haven't had it quite as long as you though. Probably only about 1500km into it to date. Going to get a lot during this spring and summer though.

Rapha have a 25% discount code for completing a survey, should pop up by just going on their main page. Works on bundles too, so £105 for core jersey and shorts is awfully tempting. If anyone wanted overpriced goods, for slightly less overpriced

Still ridiculously expensive, do Rapha still manufacture their goods in a Chinese sweatbox?

I've just ordered a knockoff Brevet jersey for a tenner from Aliexpress to test the quality, and seeing as they're customisable I asked them to put Rapha branding on, so lets see what I receive...

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...le-Clothing-Bike-Wear/213263_32794863766.html

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Curious as to how some of you plan out your goals? In previous years I used miles as a goal (2500>3000>3500) but am beginning to find it's causing riding to feel more like a job and less fun. Even more so when I think about how I can do 40-50 miles without much effort now, and have already done multiple 100 mile rides over the three years.

With mountain biking more in my mix I was thinking of moving over to X hours a week since a 2 hour ride in the woods is less miles, but still demanding physically.

I'm pretty out of shape and trying to lose weight with biking as well as totally changing my diet to something far healthier. Mostly I'm just using this summer to work on stamina for longer rides, making those rides faster with fewer stops or breaks, and increasing the distances of my long rides. I'm also trying to bike a lot more during the week. I'd love to get up to like a 100 miles per week, I'm at about 60 now if the weather allows. Mostly trying to make my fat ass less fat.

Hoping by the end of the summer I'll be up to 60 mile round trips for my weekend ride.

T8SC

I don't set goals with distance or duration per week in mind. I just go out whenever I can and hammer it as hard as I can, then go home. Setting a distance goal doesn't work if u get injuries or have other "normal life" stuff to deal with. Just go out, increase the distance where possible and make sure each time you do a 60/70/80/90 etc mile bike ride that its quicker than the last time ... though if one is a 60 miler with 8000ft of climbing and the 90 miler has 3000 ft climbing, then its not comparable so keep the comparisons similar or the same.

Go hard or go home, that's what I live by.

frontieruk

I don't set goals with distance or duration per week in mind. I just go out whenever I can and hammer it as hard as I can, then go home. Setting a distance goal doesn't work if u get injuries or have other "normal life" stuff to deal with. Just go out, increase the distance where possible and make sure each time you do a 60/70/80/90 etc mile bike ride that its quicker than the last time ... though if one is a 60 miler with 8000ft of climbing and the 90 miler has 3000 ft climbing, then its not comparable so keep the comparisons similar or the same.

I was following that at the weekend until the pub at the top of the 15% grade hill... Even convinced the chef to make a bacon sarnie that wasn't on the menu #winning

img_06711kur0.jpg

This is kind of where I'm getting to. I think part of it too is I've ridden the roads around me so much now for 3 years it's hard to find enjoyment in riding them now.

I was following that at the weekend until the pub at the top of the 15% grade hill... Even convinced the chef to make a bacon sarnie that wasn't on the menu #winning

God damn this seat angle...

frontieruk

^Ride a lot of gravel roads? Tyres look chunky

depending on on my chosen commute route I can actually ride though nearly 7km gravel/wooded area, the extra rolling resistance on roads ia an added bonus for when I get back on the road bike as I get alot more for the same effort.

God damn this seat angle...

It was worse! as the size of my legs meant at a normal angle I either rode with my knees turn out or I rubbed my thighs raw, both were bad for my body so I repositioned till I got support but didn't get the rubbing.

T8SC

Anyone use something like this cleat cover http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/..._dm|pcrid|161819986538|pkw||pmt||prd|531811UK . Just thinking I should probably use something when transferring between trains and stuff

I use very similar. They come in handy before sportives & races when you want to be ready dressed but not slipping around signing on & putting numbers on your bike.

They'll come in handy in the scenarios you said too, including walking around cafes/pubs if you stop.

Addnan

I use very similar. They come in handy before sportives & races when you want to be ready dressed but not slipping around signing on & putting numbers on your bike.

They'll come in handy in the scenarios you said too, including walking around cafes/pubs if you stop.
Cheers. I picked some up on the way home today.

New shoes! Yay.
imag0709pex2v.jpg

T8SC

Cheers. I picked some up on the way home today.

New shoes! Yay.
imag0709pex2v.jpg

Those the R4's?

Been eyeing up a pair of new shoes, had the R1's on my shortlist but heard the Fizik sizing can be quite narrow. Not had chance to go and try a few pairs out yet. Would like some Sidi Carbon Vernice but again, heard they are narrow too. Love the Boa dials though, much better than the ratchet system and nice to see the new Shimano shoes have joined in.

Top Bottom