• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

You can bring by my shop and we'll take care of it for ya. Gotta come to Westfield though. ;)

Thanks for the offer, westfield aint that far. I got a shop near me that my friend owns (and i bought my last two bikes from, hang out there a lot, etc) so I'll bring it there, but I'm sure it will be some laughs. I think it just needs a new chain and tires mostly, maybe some grease and oil. I do want to put new bars on them though because they're bullhorns, blech.

Teggy

Fixed gear bikes are a thing I will never get. I mean, there's an eighth mile 8% grade leading up to my house - I wouldn't know what to do with one :)

(I know they are good for cities)

Fixed gear bikes are a thing I will never get. I mean, there's an eighth mile 8% grade leading up to my house - I wouldn't know what to do with one :)

(I know they are good for cities)

That's what flip flop hubs are for. If geared properly you can run it single speed and still be ok for hills.

HTupolev

Road fixie is for people who would rather rock the bike gently back and forth on the climbs than run tempo and fight for the KOM.

On another note, check out this bullshit:

vBJnyTi.jpg

HTupolev

What am I looking at? Looks like a nice gravel road.
It's extremely loose and deep. Wheels were dragging quite a bit, lots of fishtailing.

It doesn't even reliably hold a shoe up, making it a bit of a slow walking surface.

Almost like sand disguised as large pebbles.

Road fixie is for people who would rather rock the bike gently back and forth on the climbs than run tempo and fight for the KOM.

On another note, check out this bullshit:

That stuff is the worst when you're cruising on some harder packed stuff and that comes up. Can immediately make the ride feel like a drag.

Janko, do you ride in full mountain shorts or do you use liners under a pair of regular shorts/pants? I like having some padding but I also hate being in full bibs.

Thanks. I don't need 12 hours of love, at most I'm in the woods for two hours. I can get by with bibs but just thinking further out when it's back to being fall and all I want to do si mountain bike.

I mainly use bib shorts/tights with varying overgarments for mtb. I find them very comfortable. I do have one pair of regular padded liner shorts that came with TLD trail shorts. They're merely ok compared to bibs.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I guess I'm lucky my ass is made to handle biking for long stretches as I just regular cheap ass workout shorts in most cases.

T8SC

It's so easy to piss even with bibs, I'm starting to wonder here.

Same, I can piss in bib shorts, 3/4, full tights & winter tights. Couldn't wear anything else on the bike now. Need that aero for those marginal gainz haha or more seriously, the comfort.

I guess I'm lucky my ass is made to handle biking for long stretches as I just regular cheap ass workout shorts in most cases.

It's not the padding so much as the minimal amount of fabric. I did one mountain session in regular cotton boxers and pants and my ass was crying from the friction.

I've not noticed any advantage from my best bibtights over my best bibshorts in terms of comfort. In fact, even the ones I have going up at much as £150 don't come close to that pair of shorts I just started using.

Just 2-3 miles down the road from my house. I live right near the jersey coast line so any day I can take some time to grab coffee and just cruise around the shore town I will.

it's also fun to just ride this masher of a bike through an area filled with tri-bikes and beach cruisers. Not many, if any really, people around here rocking these kind of set ups. So it's always an interesting case of weird looks.

Mascot

Just 2-3 miles down the road from my house. I live right near the jersey coast line so any day I can take some time to grab coffee and just cruise around the shore town I will.

it's also fun to just ride this masher of a bike through an area filled with tri-bikes and beach cruisers. Not many, if any really, people around here rocking these kind of set ups. So it's always an interesting case of weird looks.

Very nice. I live in a village on an estuary coast, but it's quite different terrain to your white sandy beaches.

aa11_zpss3bufa4g.jpg

It's just nice being near water though, isn't it?

Very nice. I live in a village on an estuary coast, but it's quite different terrain to your white sandy beaches.

It's just nice being near water though, isn't it?

Oh man I love me some non-traditional shore line. It's one of things I love about Maine and the PNW.

And yeah, I can't ever live away from a huge body of water. There's something about it that helps keep me sane even though I hate actually going to the beach to hangout/swim.

Cross chaining?

Cross chaining is not nearly as bad as it used to be, and that's a 2x so it's not really that bad. I was only in that gear because I was coming up a boardwalk and wanted to not be flying around with people walking.

Also surprised you're not raging over those tires being used for road riding ;)

wtf are those tyres.

Sim Works x Panaracer Homage, 42mm running tubeless https://sim.works/collections/home/products/the-homage-brown-x-black

cross chaining isn't too bad, at least it shouldn't be on my sram setup

i still can't bring myself to do it

I very rarely end up in this gearing and it's only when I'm finishing up a ride or needing to slow down so dramatically but still have some pedaling efficiency, like on the boardwalk. I just really hate dropping into that 39 unless I absolutely have to. I wish I spent another 100-200 more and went 1x.

T8SC

Cross chaining is not nearly as bad as it used to be, and that's a 2x so it's not really that bad. I was only in that gear because I was coming up a boardwalk and wanted to not be flying around with people walking.

Also surprised you're not raging over those tires being used for road riding ;)

Interesting choice but I'm sure you have your reasons over regular/faster tyres.

Mostly just comfort. I'm sure I'm sacrificing a little bit, but the plushness of the ride is worth it. Now that I've been doing more on 42mm and a mtn, I'd be curious to jump back on my aluminum with 25mm to see what that'd be like....but then I'd just be cursing the entire ride at the discomfort.

HTupolev

I'm sure I'm sacrificing a little bit, but the plushness of the ride is worth it.
If you're concerned about performance and don't need the tire to be as beefy and knobby as those, you could always switch to a performance-oriented super-wide road slick (i.e. Compass). That could save a few hundred grams, corner better on pavement, and roll a little faster, without giving up any plush.

I know a lot of people love compass, but they all seem to have terrible sidewalls.

The panaracer tires roll surprisingly well despite the tread pattern and I suspect it has to do with how tight they are. The sidewall knobs don't touch pavement unless I'm really leaning into something. Panaracer has a 650b tire called the Pari-moto which is the same tread pattern as their 32 Gravel King. I might move to that next year, but I need to see how things go. I'd really love to have their 32mm GK (not the GK SK) in a 35-38.

BTW I loved that we've had some serious bike/gear talk in the last 36 hours.

Teggy

Mostly just comfort. I'm sure I'm sacrificing a little bit, but the plushness of the ride is worth it. Now that I've been doing more on 42mm and a mtn, I'd be curious to jump back on my aluminum with 25mm to see what that'd be like....but then I'd just be cursing the entire ride at the discomfort.

I noticed that the water bottles on my gravel bike were not that snug, but going over railroad tracks on 38mm they hardly move. 25mm they can go flying if you hit a bad pothole.

HTupolev

I know a lot of people love compass, but they all seem to have terrible sidewalls.
What about the sidewalls is terrible? They're thin, if that's what you mean.

The panaracer tires roll surprisingly well despite the tread pattern and I suspect it has to do with how tight they are.
Heh, basically all the tires we're discussing are Panaracer. They're huge with small brands.

Panaracer has a 650b tire called the Pari-moto which is the same tread pattern as their 32 Gravel King. I might move to that next year, but I need to see how things go. I'd really love to have their 32mm GK (not the GK SK) in a 35-38.
It's definitely odd that they've been so resistant to build the GK in wider 700c sizes.

What about the sidewalls is terrible? They're thin, if that's what you mean.

Heh, basically all the tires we're discussing are Panaracer. They're huge with small brands.

It's definitely odd that they've been so resistant to build the GK in wider 700c sizes.

Yeah the sidewalls are what I read about being terrible. Sidewalls blow out or shred well before the rubber does.

I was referring to the Homages, but yeah I've come to realize Panaracer is out for a lot of niche brands. I think I saw them on Soma's site too.

T8SC

I was running 23's until a few weeks ago when I ordered new tubeless Pro Ones in 25 (Finally in stock!!) for the Fred, dropped the pressure a touch more and it's loads more comfortable and faster (I think, could be in my head) than the 23's ... and worlds apart from the winter bikes 23's with tubes & high PSI. That needs changed to tubeless for next Winter.

Tubeless Pro Ones really do roll super well. I was freewheeling past others all the time at my 200 ride, even without slipstream. The guy I was riding with commented on it too.

The downside is that apparently they last for only about 2000km.

HTupolev

Yeah the sidewalls are what I read about being terrible. Sidewalls blow out or shred well before the rubber does.
Interesting. Are people saying they just fail suddenly, or the concern is when riding through stuff that's prone to slashing sidewalls? I've got about 1000 miles on mine, and the sidewalls still look good as new... although one of the long cuts on the tread potentially could have done damage if it were a bit lower.

I was referring to the Homages, but yeah I've come to realize Panaracer is out for a lot of niche brands. I think I saw them on Soma's site too.
Sim Works, Fairweather, Soma, Compass, Swifttire, Rivendell... there are tons.

gillty

Banned
I've never seen a need to go into the Panaracer manufactured niche brands as it seems over the years the Pasela has creeped further and further towards the performance end of clinchers.

Actually, its weird because in Japan the Pasela tyre they have is strictly a commuter tyre, but the Paslea PT model we get internationally much resembles the work they do for Compass and Soma among other brands.

Interesting. Are people saying they just fail suddenly, or the concern is when riding through stuff that's prone to slashing sidewalls? I've got about 1000 miles on mine, and the sidewalls still look good as new... although one of the long cuts on the tread potentially could have done damage if it were a bit lower.

I was reading reviews from various sites and forums and there seemed be a universal concern over the sidewalls strength. Granted they tended to lean more towards the gravel end of forums or sites so maybe they were abusing the tire in a way its not made for.

It'd be great if I could just swap between something like the Pari Moto and the Homage, but running tubeless makes that a bit less of an annoyance.

I've never seen a need to go into the Panaracer manufactured niche brands as it seems over the years the Pasela has creeped further and further towards the performance end of clinchers.

I was going to just go with the GravelKing SK's, but my shop got a bunch of the Homage tires in so I figured why not? I really don't even need something this aggressive as with the wide with you'll get more contact, I just kind of like the aggressive look it adds to the bike.

Top Bottom