• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Brother 19 |OT| Fake Apples, Real Snakes

lenovox1

What is America's vote? What does it mean? Do they ever give numbers? It's bullshit. It's the illusion of choice. Production dictate all of this.

Federal game show laws. If the game is seen as unfair, they can be sued by the contestants over it if there is any reason to believe that there was any blatant rigging. If they're doing things on the up and up and accountant verified the numbers and a lawyer reviewed them. Fan vote elements of the game are also not spontaneous.

There was no need for them to rig that vote anyways. Paul was the only person in the house that people knew and was a very popular houseguest.

kirblar

Federal game show laws. If the game is seen as unfair, they can be sued by the contestants over it if there is any reason to believe that there was any blatant rigging. If they're doing things on the up and up and accountant verified the numbers and a lawyer reviewed them.

There was no need for them to rig that vote anyways. Paul was the only person in the house that people knew.
Big Brother is deliberately not classified like a Game Show like Survivor is.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
But it still awards a prize. Any of the competitive elements of the show (comps, fan votes, etc.) should only be as rigged as federally allowed.

All houseguests are paid to be on the show.

You get a salary each week roughly equivalent to your working wage (so you don't miss bill/mortgage payments), and if you make it to Jury you get a $9000 stipend on top of that... so its treated a bit differently.

lenovox1

Nope. There's no jurisdiction. The producers can do whatever they want.

All houseguests are paid to be on the show.

You get a salary each week roughly equivalent to your working wage (so you don't miss bill/mortgage payments), and if you make it to Jury you get a $9000 stipend on top of that... so its treated a bit differently.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/509

The law doesn't make those distinctions. It never even uses the words "game show." And this is specifically talking about the competitive elements of the show. Things like the temptations (or other elements that explicitly effect the game portion of the show or award a prize), the contests, the competitions, and the public votes almost exclusively.

We know production interferes in every other element of the show.

kirblar

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/509

The law doesn't make those distinctions. It never even uses the words "game show." And this is specifically talking about the competitive elements of the show. Things like the temptations (or other elements that explicitly effect the game portion of the show or award a prize), the contests, the competitions, and the public votes almost exclusively.

We know production interferes in every other element of the show.
And they've gone over it with the lawyers and it's explicitly not classified as one. You're making up your own reality here.
Section 73.1216 of the Commission's rules governs the broadcast of licensee-conducted contests, i.e., a contest conducted by an FCC-licensed station in which a prize is offered 'to members of the public.' Since the show 'Big Brother' is conducted by a network programmer (vs. an FCC-licensed station) and does not offer a prize to members of the public, it is not regulated by the FCC. A "game show" in which 'selected contestants' (vs. 'members of the public') participate is governed by Section 509 of Title 47 of the United States Code (USC), and regulated by the Department of Justice. However 'Big Brother' does not appear to meet the definition of a "game show."
Had to dive to Reddit to find it- this has come up before and it's the same answer every year. Survivor abides by Game Show rules and is generally on the up and up. Big Brother is not. Early BB wasn't as bad. Then the original EP left and Grodner assumed full command, and she clearly had a different vision for the show.

Korgill

And they've gone over it with the lawyers and it's explicitly not classified as one. You're making up your own reality here.

Had to dive to Reddit to find it- this has come up before and it's the same answer every year. Survivor abides by Game Show rules and is generally on the up and up. Big Brother is not. Early BB wasn't as bad. Then the original EP left and Grodner assumed full command, and she clearly had a different vision for the show.

There is no classification at far as the law is concerned. It's portrayed to the public a game of skill for a prize, therefore they must abide by the law.

lenovox1

I believe that post was deleted.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BigBrother...other/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=comment_list

The thread is the top one in that Reddit entry.

It was probably deleted because the idea that FCC has no jurisdiction on Big Brother because it airs on CBS is completely false.

The actual responses to that post lay out the position more clearly than I seem to be able to as well.

This is nonsense. I worked for the compliance company that oversaw FCC regulation for Big Brother. They are most definitely subject to FCC regulations. There would be a HUGE multi-year process for a show like this to suddenly not be subject to those laws and there would be a giant paper-trail of court documents. Not one hastily photocopied paragraph[...]

There is no such classification as a "game show."

I think the FCC response above is trying to make a distinction between a contest available to the general public, and a program where people have to be selected to play before they have any chance to win a prize. And then briefly guesses whether Big Brother is a contest show or not; it certainly doesn't look like an official statement they'd stand behind in a court of law.

I suspect Big Brother is fine in this regard. The only borderline thing I can think of is when they have a public vote for in-game powers (Coup D'etat, MVP); they then have an obligation to the public to fairly represent the events of the contest. Otherwise, you'd have to prove that they intended to manipulate the outcome of the show in a contestant's favor or disfavor with the introduction of a twist or challenge.

Someone who worked on BB production previously had posted the they can make any changes they want (changing a comp or adding a twist), as long as the change is made in advance, and affects all house guests equally.

And more.

My point being that regardless of what Big Brother calls itself, there are contest elements in the show. The show has to abide by regulation with regards to those elements or risk a lawsuit.

xaosslug

don't even get me started on the BS that is production leaving Xmas in da house to be a LITERAL floater. *boggle*

Go Alex! Paul is in a good spot, but things make shake up as the numbers dwindle.

Remember America voted for Paul's temptation. Could've been anyone. How is the show rigged unless you think production threw the numbers?

hmm, who are fans gonna vote for? A bunch of people they don't know from a can of paint or the "all star"? Decisions, decisions! LOL

i don't believe production played w/ the votes, but they knew EXACTLY the results they would get when they put that temptation up. Come on.

Ramirez

It's not surprising I guess, but I can't believe Christmas didn't take the shot and get Alex out. "I need to start making moves on the couples", puts up Mark, lol.

DonShula

I've enjoyed this season but last night's episode was typical midseason bordom. Was bound to happen with Mark being the primary target but not antagonistic. All the conflict is gone.

It's not surprising I guess, but I can't believe Christmas didn't take the shot and get Alex out. "I need to start making moves on the couples", puts up Mark, lol.

You have to get Mark out. Dude has been flip flopping all summer from one side to another. He's also very good at competition. You don't want him on opposing sides.

I don't want someone who swings where the wind blows.

The problem with breaking up a couple is you're playing fire with 2 votes in the jury house.

You have to get Mark out. Dude has been flip flopping all summer from one side to another. He's also very good at competition. You don't want him on opposing sides.

I don't want someone who swings where the wind blows.

The problem with breaking up a couple is you're playing fire with 2 votes in the jury house.
My wife and I talked about this last night and basically agreed with all of that.

Bet Mark wishes he had gone along with Cody and voted out Christmas now, eh?

Paul was safe for 4 weeks not 3. Paul will never be considered one of the best players. It is like saying charles manson was one of the best leaders. He's a bully and big brother made him seem like a god with his safety and power he had week 1 giving out his frienship bracelets. Woulda been gone week 2 by Cody but BB wouldnt allow it. How embarrassing of a show. Imagine if you played an online shooter and one of your opponents had 4 minutes of invulnerabity , would you think it was fair and just continue to die from them? Or a better analogy, if youre playing chess, and the player has 4 moves of safety on their queen

Big brother knew exactly how to make Paul atleastnmake jury. Give him power/safety from week 1, make an Americas vote for a temptation that had 3 weeks of safety. Paul was clearly the mkst popular to easy pz. They knew he would have 3 weeks to build soical alliances and give off the vibe he was powerful, because he couldnt be touched after Cody tried. Big brother says they dont rig, they do ....they call them twists

Velcro Fly

Him coming back was supposed to be a big twist. No way they risk it being ruined week 1. Remember the saboteur? And how dumb that was when the person got voted out? Yeah.

Sure Paul was safe for 3 (4) weeks. They could have evicted him on week 5... they didnt. I dont think it`s fair to say Paul isnt a good player because others are bad. He made them look up to him like he is god. They dont even dare to say evict paul. Everybody who hears somebody say it they tell paul and sh** goes down and that person is out the door thursday night. He is a puppetmaster 3 weeks of safety in the beginning or not.

Velcro Fly

It would make so much sense to get rid of Matt right now. Hedge your bets that Raven isn't winning any comps. Those other two couples should be lining up to do it.

Sure Paul was safe for 3 (4) weeks. They could have evicted him on week 5... they didnt. I dont think it`s fair to say Paul isnt a good player because others are bad. He made them look up to him like he is god. They dont even dare to say evict paul. Everybody who hears somebody say it they tell paul and sh** goes down and that person is out the door thursday night. He is a puppetmaster 3 weeks of safety in the beginning or not.

Having 3 weeks of safety allows you to build alliances with confidence and make promises you otherwise wouldn't if you could be a target like others.

JettDash

Alex apparently said she is planning on blaming her vote on Christmas. Except Christmas didn't vote since she was HoH.

LOL

Jason---------
won HOH.
OHHFDdg.png

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Him coming back was supposed to be a big twist. No way they risk it being ruined week 1. Remember the saboteur? And how dumb that was when the person got voted out? Yeah.

Lol the sabatour thing was so dumb. I had forgotten about that.

I really hope one day they get Brittany Haynes to come back again. She's still my all time favourite houseguest.

Parch

BB doesn't sell the "possibilities" very well at all. A big part of that is because the live feeds usually accurately show what's going on. The fans know. They're not fooling anybody.

Christmas might not put up Mark.
Wrong. They'll broadcast a "what if' conversation to try and sell the possibility. But most fans know that wasn't going to happen.

The house might vote out Matt instead of Mark.
Wrong. Again, show a what if convo to try to convince the audience that it could happen, but it's just more fake drama.

You don't even need to watch the live feeds to see through the phony production and editing. They try to create a show that is interesting and not just the obvious outcome, but they're not very good at it and not fooling anybody.

Survivor does a much better job at editing. Part of that is because there is no live feeds to spoil outcomes, but it's mainly because they know how to create uncertainty. BB is really crappy at that.

Top Bottom