• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioMutant - Announcement Trailer (from ex-Just Cause/Mad Max Devs)

Raptor

Not sold yet after I saw that gameplay, need to see how enemies react to hits and if there is any gore or anything.

Looks rough but the idea sounds amazing. Definitely has the look of an indie game trying to be a big triple A game. The who concept and idea have me sold. Depending on what else launches that time frame, I can see myself picking this up.

KooopaKid

Banned
Ouch. Way too early to show it.
Doesn't look like they have a strong game design. Vehicules for the sake of it don't make the gameplay meaningful.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Doesn't look like they have a strong game design. Vehicules for the sake of it don't make the gameplay meaningful.

Maybe we should wait to see more before making claims like that. From the gameplay teaser it looked like he was getting into the mech at the end to take on what looked like a giant worm monster many times the size of the vehicle.

Some Nobody

Eh, I'm down for additional methods of traversal. Far too often it's just walking or a horse, both of which are getting old.

And this game looks fine to me. Could use some tweaks but I still like what I'm seeing. Now I just need an explanation on what's "systematically generated" .

Some Nobody

I'm in for a Metroidvania-like rather than straight up open worlds:

How is it then that a team consisting of just fourteen people, a few of them veterans of massive productions like Just Cause and Mad Max, others fresh out of university, can create such an ambitious game? It's a good question, but part of the answer is the system that is in place that spawns enemies and mobs. Another part could be the choice to go with an established engine like Unreal Engine 4. The game world is another area. It's not the largest open world game, instead, it has been cleverly designed so that certain areas can only be reached if you interact with certain characters, so it's got an element of almost Metroidvania design.

Hopefully enemy mobs are the only thing they spawn.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The world looks beautiful. Gameplay looks good but I need to see a walkthrough mission/objective with a good amount of combat as the combat is what will sell me 100% on the game. I do like all the different variations and vehicles. Don't think that it's early 2018 though. Thinking more like a summer 2018 game.

Exentryk

Combat looks really rough. Going to need more convincing if I'm to buy this.
Traversal seems fun, but the world might not be interesting enough if it is being generated procedurally.

What is up with this bad trend of devs showing off their games too early? Must be a nightmare for the Marketing/PR division.

Digging the concepts shown in the gameplay, though.
P6eJWkF.gif

tumblr_mb573sXrPC1qh8rq6o1_500.gif

brawly

Cuningas de Häme;246709412 said:
Funny how people are slamming the game based on that very short gameplay trailer, but completely neglect that one guy who actually played it...

That glowing feedback definitely changed my mind.

Dynomutt

I don't understand people being down on this already, it looks ten times better than half the shit people go mad for.

For real it's an early slice. I like the concept. I was a big fan of Enslaved and HZD so this is up my alley.

Were trading in browns and grays for blues and green. From drab color palettes to lively and inviting/fun.

It's Neogaf. Lately its been Negative. Energy. Over. Good. Aspirations. Frequently.

J-Skee

Watched the gameplay. I'm in. I love what they're going for.

EDIT: Umm, Amazon not doing Prime Savings for this?

Nesther

Absolutely loved the gameplay footage, even though it's still pretty rough, especially the enemy hit detection and force feedback.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Hell. Yes.
Something original. I fucking love the protagonist already, and will definitely support this game. Let's gooo.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

What's cool is that in the second part of this gif the protag looks to have what are giant claws/wings growing out of his back that he uses to seemingly "fly" and then attack the enemy with. If the mutations can have such a big visual and gameplay impact that's awesome news to me, I love when games do stuff like that with upgrades and what not.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
They have good ideas for combat, but the execution is really lacking.
You mean in terms of animation blending and the overall smoothness of the movesets in combat? Because it felt like that to me as well on first viewing of the gameplay footage. Watched it again and while still rough in some areas, it didn't seem as rough as my first viewing for some reason cause I was paying more attention to little animation details.

Most likely will be polished up and well oiled for final release though.

MaLDo

I was really excited but after the gameplay trailer... not so much. Running animation is something must be perfect and is so wrong. Everything is a bit off.

This looks and sounds absolutely FANTASTIC. What a great concept. It's basically a dream game. An open world Jak/Ratchet/Banjo with vehicles, rpg elements, action wrapped up in a great art style. Looks great for a new IP with a great dev behind it.

THIS is what I want to see more of in games. Something new and fresh, but with a seemingly old school mentality. It''s like they are taking the best elements of the PS2 era and bringing it to the next gen.

Everyone should get behind this game. The gameplay is CLEARLY early. I hope the dev takes all the time they need to get this right. This and Beyond Good and Evil 2 have me hyped for this genre.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Cuningas de Häme;246728408 said:
In this very topic, a page or few back. Can't be arsed to find the actual post, but it was in the positive side.

Played it an hour ago, it is a solid title. Controls are very similar to Darksiders with LB/LT as modifiers for special moves and abilities, normal and weapon attacks etc. I kinda disliked the narrator, not sure why. He was maybe a little too tongue in cheek. More polish and it will be at least above average imo.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

RedSwirl

Looks like a mid-budget game filled with potentially cool ideas, from some developers with experience in making fun sandbox games.

So they are trying to Horizon with that Just Cause engine?

I was gonna say "So they are trying to Breath of the Wild with that Just Cause engine" but yeah. I haven't played JC3 or Mad Max but what little I played of Just Cause 2 felt really impressive in some ways, even by today's standards. If they could actually make a world of similar scale and give it sense of personality, it could make for a really good game.

yencid

Mad Max was a game i thought looked sorta janking to me when i watched gameplay of it but completely clicked with me once i played it, hoping this is the same.

Gryph

World looks like a heck of a lot of fun. Love it.

I would like to see the combat cleaned up a bit, doesn't look like the most fun thing right now...

But Mad Max has a great game play loop, so I'm pretty optimistic...

Top Bottom