• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock "Exclusive Review" IGN edition - A lot of annoyed journos (Ironcreed wow).

These views are fine, but Gies would certainly being defending the practice if Polygon was selected to give the exclusive review so it's pretty laughable.

Fixed1979

Not going to point out names, but there's more than 2 people in the OP who should really start thinking before opening their mouths.

EDIT: This isn't to say I disagree with their statements, but I'd like to believe there's at least some skepticism on the gamer's side that deflates the value of exclusive reviews. This should also apply to "any early reviews" for games that contain any sort of multi-player component. "Jurno's" getting angry for something that they've all done, have tried to do, or would love to be able to do is really fucking funny though.

Sad sad bullshit. But what do I care at this point? It's fucked either way. Geoff Keighley going off [see: feeling betrayed] about exclusive content? What the fuck world am I in? Don't even want to get started with this bone-sack Arthur Gies.

Not going to point out names, but there's more than 2 people in the OP who should really start thinking before opening their mouths.

Now I'm intrigued.

DaBuddaDa

I would bet anyone 20 bucks that IGN exclusive review score on Thursday, four days before anyone else, will be a 9.0 or higher.

ultron87

Geoff talking about this seems fine. He never reviews stuff specifically to avoid this kind of conflict of interest.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So just so we're clear:

Sending one outlet an early review copy: scum of the earth.

Sending all review outlets expensive special "press kits" with extra swag, or flying reviewers out to special review events in exotic places: absolutely fine.

antitrop

I can't wait for the review thread. It will be interesting to compare IGN's review to the rest. Deru kugi wa utareru.

GeoffKeighleytweet.png

Surprised Adam got in on that, I wonder how upset they would be if they got the exclusive first, since apparently interest for reviews of new games drops off dramatically.

Skyzard

Banned
Sorry, don't care. So many reviews aren't exactly all that reliable and thorough these days anyway even without being exclusive.

Putting less effort into your reviews because you're not getting it early? K, hope you get even less traffic than you thought.

Resilient

I think it's silly for people to lambast these guys for this. What if they have decided to change their stance? I see it as a good thing that perhaps we have some people who are starting to understand why the community vilifies game journos so much.

ElRenoRaven

So just so we're clear:

Sending one outlet an early review copy: scum of the earth.

Sending all review outlets expensive special "press kits" with extra swag, or flying reviewers out to special review events in exotic places: absolutely fine.

Why of course cause then they're getting a piece of the action.

Amir0x

Banned
I can't wait for the review thread. It will be interesting to compare IGN's review to the rest. Deru kugi wa utareru.

I'll save you the trouble:

The game will average an 85 metacritic and have 9.0 scores from at least 70% of all the major websites. Another 25% will have 8, 8 and a half scores and the remaining 5 percent will be outliers but maybe more accurate than all the rest in many ways.

I am a psychic, bill me later.

I think it's silly for people to lambast these guys for this. What if they have decided to change their stance? I see it as a good thing that perhaps we have some people who are starting to understand why the community vilifies game journos so much.

Now this is gold!

No.

Gies, Geoff, but I like Geoff, despite his Doritos 'incident'.

I think you read his post wrong.

Edit: No wait, I did. Carry on!

Gametrailers really only does exclusive previews through GT.TV, right? I don't recall them ever having an exclusive review.

Oh, if that's true then that's fair enough.

But I get the impression that most of these people were complaining because they DIDN'T get the exclusive and will be losing out on hits on their reviews because of it. There's the "integrity" angle to it, but I doubt that's what they're really mad about

Seiru

Banned
All I'm reading is a bunch of sour grapes, to be honest.

There's a discussion to be had here, but not by these people.

Vire

I'll save you the trouble:

The game will average an 85 metacritic and have 9.0 scores from at least 70% of all the major websites. Another 25% will have 8, 8 and a half scores and the remaining 5 percent will be outliers but maybe more accurate than all the rest in many ways.

I am a psychic, bill me later.

why so low?

Derrick01

Banned
Is there anything that Gies did to provoke the amount of people that dismiss him on this forum? I haven't necessarily agreed with his reviews in the past, but I don't know of anything that warrants people saying "Gies and integrity lol".

He gave a Simcity review that could have been written by EA PR and you couldn't tell the difference, it had that much positive hyperbole in it. Then when the post-launch fiasco happened he doubled down on twitter by being a condescending jerk to everyone who was calling him out (even the polite people) and refusing to admit he was wrong about anything, despite being proven factually wrong on many things.

As for the others how many times have we made threads calling out Kotaku and Polygon for ridiculous things they do?

And mother effin doritos pope himself is chiming in on this?

- J - D -

Most of them sound like they're more worried about the amount of clicks they're losing. Not entirely an inconsiderable worry, but still it's not the situation you're talking about, exactly.

Fjordson

Exclusive reviews do seem odd, but I think a "review-in-progress" is just as weird. Maybe for an MMO, but Bioshock Infinite? I don't get why an ongoing review is needed for a 10-15 hour shooter with no multiplayer. Color me confused.

DaBuddaDa

He gave a Simcity review that could have been written by EA PR and you couldn't tell the difference, it had that much positive hyperbole in it....

He didn't write the Polygon review. Although he did have a lot to lecture us about how Maxis and game design works, especially for someone who admitted he has never played the game before.

It doesn't matter. You're all missing the point. This is a high profile game and it will average an 8.5-10 from almost every big site/publication because of that. The gaming industry doesn't operate like other industries where a product is reviewed. Those other people aren't pissed because of the lack of integrity, they're pissed that they can't exclusively award the game the same exact score IGN is going to first.

Top Bottom