• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock "Exclusive Review" IGN edition - A lot of annoyed journos (Ironcreed wow).

Amir0x

Banned
why so low?

It's really just the 'lowest' possible metacritic it may get; I actually expect something more along the lines of 92 on metacritic or maybe an 89. My psychic powers are just giving me a super accurate range number ;P

Beckx

Today I learned that game journalists think you should never complain about business models...except when those business models affect game journalists.

Derrick01

Banned
He didn't write the Polygon review. Although he did have a lot to lecture us about how Maxis and game design works, especially for someone who admitted he has never played the game before.

Yeah sorry, it's easy to forget that part with how much he threw himself at the front of this.

antitrop

He gave a Simcity review that could have been written by EA PR and you couldn't tell the difference, it had that much positive hyperbole in it. Then when the post-launch fiasco happened he doubled down on twitter by being a condescending jerk to everyone who was calling him out (even the polite people) and refusing to admit he was wrong about anything, despite being proven factually wrong on many things.

As for the others how many times have we made threads calling out Kotaku and Polygon for ridiculous things they do?

And mother effin doritos pope himself is chiming in on this?

To be fair, the Polygon SimCity review was written by Russ Pitts, not Gies.

It doesn't matter. You're all missing the point. This is a high profile game and it will average an 8.5-10 from almost every big site/publication because of that. The gaming industry doesn't operate like other industries where a product is reviewed. Those other people aren't pissed because of the lack of integrity, they're pissed that they can't exclusively award the game the same exact score IGN is going to first.

I think everyone understands the point.

Sounds like entitled reviewers who just want more website traffic. I think this is great.

Calling reviewers entitled over this would be awesome trolling.

BearPawB

Banned
Exclusive reviews do seem odd, but I think a "review-in-progress" is just as weird. Maybe for an MMO, but Bioshock Infinite? I don't get why an ongoing review is needed for a 10-15 hour shooter with no multiplayer. Color me confused.

more pageviews

RoKKeR

Why do game journalists feel so entitled to equal review windows??

Because reviews are huge click generators, which leads to revenue for the website. IGN will get more review hits because it will be the only one out there for a few days. They get more revenue, everybody else gets angry, and arguably their opinion will be biased towards the game they got exclusivity for.

I just don't understand.

They all fell over backwards to suggest gaming journalism was largely safe from the perils of undue influence, the free flights, free games and free xboxes meant they were able to keep their integrity.

But an exclusive interview might mean something shady? Is this is a tacit acknowledgement that gaming journalism has an unsavoury relationship with publishers?

So just so we're clear:

Sending one outlet an early review copy: scum of the earth.

Sending all review outlets expensive special "press kits" with extra swag, or flying reviewers out to special review events in exotic places: absolutely fine.
Yeah, a lot of people only truly think about something when they're personally affected.
Sad really.

BFIB

Keffiyeh_throwing_cash.gif

Demon Ice

Banned
Crap I guess I missed something big, I know about the whole Geoff Keighly Doritos and Mountain Dew thing but who is Arthur Gies, what is Polygon, and why do they suck?J

Edit: Oh, I see.

He gave a Simcity review that could have been written by EA PR and you couldn't tell the difference, it had that much positive hyperbole in it. Then when the post-launch fiasco happened he doubled down on twitter by being a condescending jerk to everyone who was calling him out (even the polite people) and refusing to admit he was wrong about anything, despite being proven factually wrong on many things.

i-Lo

So now that IGN gets an exclusive review, all the rest suddenly act like "objective journalists". What a sad joke. That said, exclusive reviews are the ones that I tend to trust the least.

Vire

It's really just the 'lowest' possible metacritic it may get; I actually expect something more along the lines of 92 on metacritic or maybe an 89. My psychic powers are just giving me a super accurate range number ;P

Haha, teasing. That's Fart of War's tag.

This thread is hilarious.

inky

Arthur Gies talking about integrity. Oh my god.

I always wanted to do a tag quote:

Derrick01
Mr. Accurate
(Today, 03:57 PM)

Seriously, it's not like this is fine and IGN are the paragons of integrity or anything, but Gies complaining after what his site did with Sim City got a good laugh out of me.

FStop7

Banned
This all helps drive home the point that "professional" reviews and "professional" gaming news sites are obsolete.

Grecco

Exclusive reviews do seem odd, but I think a "review-in-progress" is just as weird. Maybe for an MMO, but Bioshock Infinite? I don't get why an ongoing review is needed for a 10-15 hour shooter with no multiplayer. Color me confused.

its to milk the bioshock content more.

Nibel

It's a shame that the publisher doesn't seem to have enough trust in its own product to let it speak for itself instead of paying a big and well known media outlet for a review which will obviously have a really high and bland score - especially since it's obvious that Irrational Games have created something really special

And none of the above mentioned persons who call themselves journalists have any fucking credibility; yes, it's a shitty situation for you guys, but don't act like you would say "No" if such a offer were made to you

Because reviews are huge click generators, which leads to revenue for the website. IGN will get more review hits because it will be the only one out there for a few days. They get more revenue, everybody else gets angry, and arguably their opinion will be biased towards the game they got exclusivity for.

Jeff Gerstmann actually explained in one of his Jar Times: Traffic.

Are people not picking up on his sarcasm with the usage of 'entitled'? This goes back to some games journalists calling gamers entitled over certain things (ME3 ending, DLC etc.).

Crap I guess I missed something big, I know about the whole Geoff Keighly Doritos and Mountain Dew thing but who is Arthur Gies, what is Polygon, and why do they suck?J

Edit: Oh, I see.

There's other, more damning reasons why Polygon is shit I think. Someone may be able to speak on that.

Kinyou

Why do game journalists feel so entitled to equal review windows??
lol

Next up, always-on reviews; EA will host the reviews on their own site.

They are right, but I can't help feeling it's because most of them are angry that they didn't get the exclusive.

Remember, when it's your exclusive, there's nothing scummy about it, and nothing a publisher does can effect your opinion in any way.

When it's their exclusive, it's the worst thing ever and destroys the integrity of your profession.
That sums it up pretty well. Someone should do some digging and find out if one of these guys was involved with an exclusive review.

Top Bottom