• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite among most expensive games of all time?

Loxley

You guys honestly think 2K has $200 million just lying around to spend on any game let alone Bioshock Infinite? They're not exactly EA or Acti-Blizzard. I refuse to believe this game cost anywhere near as much as EA spent on TOR, so I'm calling bullshit.

You guys honestly think 2K has $200 million just lying around to spend on any game let alone Bioshock Infinite? They're not exactly EA or Acti-Blizzard. I refuse to believe this game cost anywhere near as much as EA spent on TOR, so I'm calling bullshit.

Take-Two greenlights development budgets for Rockstar games that usually exceed $100 million in budget.

IIRC, they spent a lot of money on even Spec Ops: The Line.

Bear

That doesn't sound like a direct denial to me.

Perhaps not, but it definitely doesn't lend credence to the figures.

Considering it's an anonymous source and the numbers sound unreasonably high (Levine implies that as well), I wouldn't put much stock in the NYT's claims until we get some more reliable data. The series has sold decently in the past, but not well enough to warrant this kind of budget.

Opiate

By 2010, Bioshock 1 had sold four million. Wouldn't be surprised if it had long enough legs to hit 5 by now.

EDIT: Beaten.

Almost all at dramatically reduced prices, however. If the last 3 million averaged 20 dollar sales, then Take 2 would have made between 10 and 16 dollars for each one. At that rate, they'd need to sell 7M-10M copies to recoup costs.

Not saying any of this is impossible, mind you. Just trying to emphasize how top heavy AAA development has become.

Zinthar

They need to update their list. Or maybe they're pretending RE6 never came out?

Edit: Wait, is March 22 the PC release date?

Yes, but on the PC side we're also pretending it's not coming out.

Why can't they just do a proper PC re-make of RE4?

Ken hasn't outright denied it, he must know the real number right? Why not spill it? Surely can't cause any more uproar than this already has.

Yes, but on the PC side we're also pretending it's not coming out.

Why can't they just do a proper PC re-make of RE4?

There's a magical pc "side"? Not to mention it's on the top of the steam best sellers list :p Edit: (besides Infinite)

And along with that edit I feel disappointed that this post is the one that makes me a member. Wanted to become one with a bang!

lucius

I have seen much more ads for Tomb Raider leading up to it's release so wonder where all the marketing money went if that is true.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I have seen much more ads for Tomb Raider leading up to it's release so wonder where all the marketing money went if that is true.

Yup, granted I haven't been really following the game but apart from an advertisement on a subway wall in Brooklyn I didn't really see too much that would justify a $100m marketing budget.

I'm waiting for the first huuuuuge budget game to be a massive failure in terms of marketing. That way hopefully publishers will start to move away from "AAA" play-it-safe development and start to temper their expectations. Things are seriously getting out of hand, and with the combination of declining market and more powerful next-gen machines the cost is gonna go up and sales are gonna go down. If Bioshock Infinite is the big sacrificial lamb, so be it.

i-Lo

The game is nowhere near as open as GTAIV/RDR/Skyrim/Fallout. Perhaps including marketing it can reach somewhere north of $60-70 million but a whole $200m is just pure stinking smoking pile of BS.

Yup, granted I haven't been really following the game but apart from an advertisement on a subway wall in Brooklyn I didn't really see too much that would justify a $100m marketing budget.

I'm waiting for the first huuuuuge budget game to be a massive failure in terms of marketing. That way hopefully publishers will start to move away from "AAA" play-it-safe development and start to temper their expectations. Things are seriously getting out of hand, and with the combination of declining market and more powerful next-gen machines the cost is gonna go up and sales are gonna go down. If Bioshock Infinite is the big sacrificial lamb, so be it.

That's cold bro, a Call of Duty clone would be way more appropriate. Sadly nationalist blood lust never fails to sell :S

AHA-Lambda

There was no way this cost $200m the numbers don't make sense. I'd say $100m max if 2K matches the games dev budget on marketing.

$10m = 100 staff members salaries for one year on average (I doubt Irrational had 200 people working on this, 100 is the typical value for most AAA titles).
Take this for the approximate 5 years this has been in dev for gives you $50m. There is no way $100m has been spent on marketing, as others have said Tomb Raider has had more marketing than this :/

Essentially T2 have have themselves another Max Payne 3 situation. The best I think they can hope for us to break even, just like MP3.

clem84

Gold Member
How the hell will they make up for that budget? Most games don't make 200M profit in their lifetime.

diffusionx

Gold Member
You guys honestly think 2K has $200 million just lying around to spend on any game let alone Bioshock Infinite?

You don't need to have it lying around, you need to raise it. I believe 2K can raise it. Did they with this game? I doubt it, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was over $100 million.

BobTheSpy

Banned
If the budget was $200 million, then 2K is losing money on this game guaranteed. Which sucks, because it would happen even if the game is amazing.

Because the real number's probably still too high.

36535056.jpg

Top Bottom