• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea |OT| Episode One

AllenShrz

So is it worth it?

I got burned with the original, specially on this 3 things:

• Try hard ending
  • Find the MP3 to try to make sense of the story (oh you miss that crucial MP3?! I'm soooo sorry)
  • Click on eeeeeverything
If it is more of the same, I'll pass. (Still... might pick it up since Elizabeth is physically the same as one of my exes)

ButchCat

I assume he just tattooed it on his hand as another way to "become" Booker (like shaving his beard). It's obviously not the same AD that the real Booker has (which he actually branded on his hand, far more painful I'm sure) and looks more like a tattoo or ink drawing. He was trying to become Booker and escape what happened.

And yeah, the DLC lasted me around 5 as well. Plenty long and a lot of fun. :) And I agree, even on "Hard", I was getting my ass kicked and had little ammo.
You might be right, going through the ending again right now during the flashback with the Luteces when Comstock struggles to pull away baby Anna from Booker there is nothing on his right hand. But I still find it odd that he would imposture Booker if we escaped to a dimension where "Booker of the Wounded Knee " never existed in the first place unless it was an attempt to sweep away his guilt. Also, he could've easily spliced himself and put himself under the needles of Steinmen if he wanted to blend in.

Jedi2016

Finally finished this, sat down and played it all the way through just now. Here's some thoughts, cherry picked from other discussions earlier in the thread:

On the ending
What's the point of Elizabeth killing Comstock in Rapture if killing him at the baptizing was supposed to kill all Comcstocks everywhere?
I took it as
her going after "the one that got away", so to speak. This one wasn't taken out in the "purge" at the end of Infinite.

Ending Spoilers
Yeah, I don't quite understand the set up of Comstock stealing Anna WHILE an adult Elizabeth is present
Look at what Elizabeth is wearing in the flashbacks.. the blue dress from the end of Infinite. This is the one I call "Elizabeth Prime", the one version in full control of her abilities, capable of seeing all realities and moving between them at will... side to side, forward and back.

I think she tried to save the Anna in that reality, and when she couldn't, she chose a time to go forward, to punish him for what he'd done (in both realities). She picked a time when he had moved past that, forgiven himself and forgotten the whole thing, then she brought it all back through Sally, and rubbed his face in it right before having him brutally murdered. Nasty.

I may be crazy, but I believe I recall Levine stating that this is a different Rapture than the one we visited as Jack and Delta.
Yes, I got that early on, especially when I saw the plasmids. Definitely not the same Rapture.

All in all, I enjoyed it. Not sure if it's worth fifteen bucks on its own, but I guess with both chapters for twenty bucks, it'll work out in the end.

For one, I completely forgot about the weapon wheel being there. I was still thinking in Infinite terms, where when I picked up a new weapon, the old one was gone. Spent plenty of time with my two guns running very low, or empty, without realizing I had two or three more in my pocket. Ammo is surprisingly scarce... I remember the first time I saw one of the vending machines, I was all "thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou" and dumped a bunch of money in it, topping off everything I could.

About the ending:
When he's trying to get Sally out of the vent, and she suddenly screams for "Mister Bubbles", and you immediately hear those distinctive boot steps... who else thought what I did:

"Aw, FUCK."

Curufinwe

I didn't realize the weapon wheel was there for a while. I swapped the tommy gun for a carbine and the tommy gun disappeared... I thought it had glitched. But it was just moved into the wheel.

Hylian7

I'm playing for my first time on 1999 mode and boy is it brutal. There is hardly any ammo anywhere. A lot of my strategies have been to skyhook drop on people multiple times, isolate and melee, or hand cannon from cover.

I'm at the part where you have to kill the ice splicer going for Old Man Winter.

I know that isn't too far in. Welcome to 1999 mode.

Also, is it explained why all the plasmids have the vigor names?
Is this an alternate Rapture?

If this is explained at the end, then obviously don't answer that.

Lijik

I'm at the part where you have to kill the ice splicer going for Old Man Winter.

I know that isn't too far in. Welcome to 1999 mode.

Actually, you're pretty close to the end. After you freeze the ice bridge you go right to Housewares and that stage is pretty linear
edit- i think i misinterpreted that as when you fight him, i just realized that you could also mean when he first shows up

I played it again today with the sole purpose of getting all the audio diaries and I still came up 2 diaries short. I was able to enjoy the story a little more and soak it in. Has there been any talk about when Part 2 is going to be released?

AllenShrz

I played it again today with the sole purpose of getting all the audio diaries and I still came up 2 diaries short. I was able to enjoy the story a little more and soak it in. Has there been any talk about when Part 2 is going to be released?

Whelp.... I guess bad habits don't die easily.

Why is Irrational keeping key story elements on MP3 files? It boggles my mind.

A small aside, I decided to try out Clash in the Clouds after completing Burial at Sea, and...
I'm actually really enjoying the Blue Ribbon challenges. Really surprised by this as the combat didn't do much for me in the original game. The tension of the hard challenges paired with some good music really makes for some fun moments. If you went with the season pass, give it a shot.

SnakeEyes

Banned
About the ending:
When he's trying to get Sally out of the vent, and she suddenly screams for "Mister Bubbles", and you immediately hear those distinctive boot steps... who else thought what I did:

"Aw, FUCK."
I explored the area before I did the final objective, so I knew a fight was coming, and I STILL went "Oh, fuck!" when it happened.

I also loved the references back to Columbia,
like Elizabeth threatening the Jeweller (when you're looking for the mask to get into Sander Cohen's event) that he'd stolen a certain ring from the grave of her "mother" Lady Comstock, and also the Audio Diary from Suchong talking about stealing the idea and technique of drinkable Plasmids from Fink.

I explored the area before I did the final objective, so I knew a fight was coming, and I STILL went "Oh, fuck!" when it happened.

I also loved the references back to Columbia,
like Elizabeth threatening the Jeweller (when you're looking for the mask to get into Sander Cohen's event) that he'd stolen a certain ring from the grave of her "mother" Lady Comstock, and also the Audio Diary from Suchong talking about stealing the idea and technique of drinkable Plasmids from Fink.

Wait, I didn't catch the significance and the link between the jeweller and what she did in Columbia; aside from maybe the scene when Elizabeth runs away from you after seeing you kill for the first time?

SnakeEyes

Banned
Wait, I didn't catch the significance and the link between the jeweller and what she did in Columbia; aside from maybe the scene when Elizabeth runs away from you after seeing you kill for the first time?
If you listen to the dialogue between her and the jeweller, you hear that she accuses him of stealing the ring from the grave of her mother in Memorial Gardens.

AllenShrz

Because the audio logs are essential to the story?

You didn't get my point, they could tell that story in other BETTER format than an audio file that you might miss and could be key to make sense of a convoluted story.

Its a design decision, a bad one.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, if I was a smarter person I should have seen it coming, the way the last part of the dlc was set up, regarding the final boss. It still hit me what was coming, about 1 second before it started :)

Fuchsdh

You didn't get my point, they could tell that story in other BETTER format than an audio file that you might miss and could be key to make sense of a convoluted story.

It’s definitely an old-fashioned method of storytelling, sort of like how the Myst series made you read through journals. And you’re right—hiding content essential to understanding the story is a bad idea. Take Halo 4 for example—the only way you understood the motivation of the main bad guy was if you found the terminal scattered around the campaign. The terminals were awesome, it was fun finding them, but they shouldn’t have made a player’s enjoyment of the game hinge on finding them (especially since you couldn't view them in game, but that was another issue.)

At least in Halo’s case, every terminal is central to the same side-story they’re telling, but in Bioshock you might just pick up the irrelevant ones (like Sander Cohen’s first one, why is it important to tell us
he apparently sold off orphans
in an audio diary five minutes of playtime before we hear it from his own mouth?) or the minor side-stories instead of the one or two that are crucial to enjoying the game properly.

The other issue I have with audio diaries is they’re far too convenient as a plot device—having everyone say codes for locked doors or thoughts that are surprisingly helpful for a random passerby to beat an objective just feels awfully contrived.

It’s kind of a shame they didn’t use more of the ADAM ghosts in Bioshock 2 because while they were fulfilling the same purpose and were scientifically shaky, they at least added to the atmosphere, ratcheted up the tension, and gave you a much more visceral and meaningful look into the world.

Reckoner

I haven't played the DLC yet, but I'm almost finishing my second playthrough of the first BioShock and this screenshot that I took makes me suspicious that
Tenenbaum may be related to Elizabeth
. That would be such a (insert word here) twist.

In other words, I fucking love this series so much.

Whelp.... I guess bad habits don't die easily.

Why is Irrational keeping key story elements on MP3 files? It boggles my mind.

None of the audiologs (which are fun to find, imo) in the DLC are really relevant to the main story at all. I admit, some of the ones in the main game of Bioshock Infinite were fairly important and explained a few things, but the ones in the DLC were mostly side stories or linking vigors and plasmids. Nothing crucial.

I haven't played the DLC yet, but I'm almost finishing my second playthrough of the first BioShock and this screenshot that I took makes me suspicious that
Tenenbaum may be related to Elizabeth
. That would be such a (insert word here) twist.

In other words, I fucking love this series so much.
What in the screen shot makes you think that?

Amon-Lau

I think what took me the longest was in the beginning, I would stop and listen to every NPC convo, and I'd go back to most of them at least once more because they generally had more lines of dialogue. And I stopped to take screenshots often because of how gorgeous Rapture was now. I went on Youtube later to just see how other people played after reading comments of beating it so quickly, and some of those youtubers... they just sprinted from the moment you leave Booker's office all through Rapture (ignoring NPCs and looking around). I don't see how/why people play games like that, but it's their money/time. xD But anyways, I did take my time exploring and getting all audiologs/gear and just looking around for money, etc. I always take a long time with my games, though.. I think it took me 25~ hours on the main game (Bioshock Infinite) whereas most people beat it in half that time, lol.
I play it like that as well~ xD
Love running back and forth between npc's and hearing what they have to say~ x3

Reckoner

What in the screen shot makes you think that?

It is more that looking to Tenenbaums in that position, with the cigarrette, it reminded me of Elizabeth, and seeing people post screenshots of her with the Little Sisters I kind of made a connection of that in my mind.

dsk1210

A small aside, I decided to try out Clash in the Clouds after completing Burial at Sea, and...
I'm actually really enjoying the Blue Ribbon challenges. Really surprised by this as the combat didn't do much for me in the original game. The tension of the hard challenges paired with some good music really makes for some fun moments. If you went with the season pass, give it a shot.

I actually meant to make a post regarding this the other day, before episode 1 came out.

I was gifted a season pass when the game came out, and i had a lot of fun with Clash in the clouds, really got into the combat and the whole setup, quite tricky too.

Lijik

Agree with the posters saying they spent the most time in the first half. There was just so much to soak up

What blows my mind is the Suchong one that explains why plasmids work like how they do in infinite is hidden away. You have to find another audio log first since that one gives you a code to use on a locked door. The suchong audio log is the only notable thing in there, and it makes no sense at all for it to be locked up in a diner storeroom unless Suchong was for some reason looting some extra splenda and just dropped it on accident.

Bothered me after I beat the game and started reflecting on it.

Reckoner

Agree with the posters saying they spent the most time in the first half. There was just so much to soak up

What blows my mind is the Suchong one that explains why plasmids work like how they do in infinite is hidden away. You have to find another audio log first since that one gives you a code to use on a locked door. The suchong audio log is the only notable thing in there, and it makes no sense at all for it to be locked up in a diner storeroom unless Suchong was for some reason looting some extra splenda and just dropped it on accident.

Bothered me after I beat the game and started reflecting on it.

Seeing all the bad critics on the DLC, and seeing you guys discussing it and how you are still reflecting on it... Isn't that a good sign that Burial at Sea is actually very good?

Vodh

Seeing all the bad critics on the DLC, and seeing you guys discussing it and how you are still reflecting on it... Isn't that a good sign that Burial at Sea is actually very good?

Still reflecting on it 3 whole days after release? Damn, this DLC got some legs.

But yeah, it's very good.

Jedi2016

Depends on what you want to get out of it, I suppose. It's only a few hours long, gameplay is really just more of the same from Infinite, so I can see it getting middling reviews if that's all you see. But I'm a HUGE fan of the story in Infinite... choice and consequence, multiverse, forward, back, sideways, and this one ties into it and adds onto it very nicely.

Fuchsdh

I've seen very thoughtful critiques of the game. They also spell critiques correctly.

As for discussion, people will argue until the end of the time about stupid stuff so that's not a good measure :p

I think the critics have every right to their opinion, but I was surprised at how much I loved the DLC. Seriously fantastic stuff. Playing this again has made me optimistic for what the folks at Irrational might be able to accomplish next generation.

Having said that, should the franchise continue? A brand new IP would give the company a chance to start anew from scratch and get entirely creative again.

Lijik

Considering I reflect the most on things I didnt like to try and work out exactly why I didnt like them (especially something I wanted to like more than I did), not really? In contrast Minerva's Den (which I played the day before BaS came out) hasnt taken up a lot of my headspace and I think thats superior in almost every way.

Reckoner

Still reflecting on it 3 whole days after release? Damn, this DLC got some legs.

But yeah, it's very good.

There aren't much games that make me think too much about them after playing. At least the way people seem to be.

I think the critics have every right to their opinion, but I was surprised at how much I loved the DLC. Seriously fantastic stuff. Playing this again has made me optimistic for what the folks at Irrational might be able to accomplish next generation.

Having said that, should the franchise continue? A brand new IP would give the company a chance to start anew from scratch and get entirely creative again.

Ofc they have. Nothing wrong with that. :) Even though I absolutely love the BioShock series, I too feel that a new IP would be great.

Curufinwe

I actually meant to make a post regarding this the other day, before episode 1 came out.

I was gifted a season pass when the game came out, and i had a lot of fun with Clash in the clouds, really got into the combat and the whole setup, quite tricky too.

I really liked CitC but totally ignored the Blue Ribbon challenges since I know I would we never get the trophy for doing all of them.

Ofc they have. Nothing wrong with that. :) Even though I absolutely love the BioShock series, I too feel that a new IP would be great.

After thinking about it, I think Irrational uses the horror genre the best when it comes to storytelling. Just look at how effective System Shock 2 is when it comes to player narrative. Games like The Last of Us, System Shock 2, and Silent Hill 2 use combat the best without undermining the characters or themes with gameplay. They should go in that direction next generation, I think.

Reckoner

After thinking about it, I think Irrational uses the horror genre the best when it comes to storytelling. Just look at how effective System Shock 2 is when it comes to player narrative. Games like The Last of Us, System Shock 2, and Silent Hill 2 use combat the best without undermining the characters or themes with gameplay. They should go in that direction next generation, I think.

I haven't played System Shock 2, but even BioShock is really atmospheric, claustrophobic and provokes shock and, sometimes, makes me really anxious. I find Irrational's blending of sound design, art style and narrative to be over the top. I just finished, for the second time, BioShock 1, so my mind couldn't be more fresh.

So, since I probably won't be able to play this any time soon, I decided to look up the ending on YouTube.

Now I only want to play it more.

I haven't played System Shock 2, but even BioShock is really atmospheric, claustrophobic and provokes shock and, sometimes, makes me really anxious. I find Irrational's blending of sound design, art style and narrative to be over the top. I just finished, for the second time, BioShock 1, so my mind couldn't be more fresh.

You should play it. I don't think BioShock 1 is dumbed down; System Shock 2 is just poorly balanced, overtly difficult (IE often feel cheap) and a bit of a mess. But it's still an amazing game.

Reckoner

You should play it. I don't think BioShock 1 is dumbed down; System Shock 2 is just poorly balanced, overtly difficult (IE often feel cheap) and a bit of a mess. But it's still an amazing game.

I will do that. Now I'm going to play BioShock 2 for the first time. I'm just trying to get the necessary courage to go to Rapture again.

fantomena

Is it worth buying the season pass for 16,99$? I want more story from Bioshock (even though the story in the original game was not THAT good).

Im asking because, funny thing is, 16,99$ = 12,63€ and just the first DLC costs 14,99€ on Steam.

Pryce

But the audio files were perfect in the OG Bioshock. They fell right in line with the story, and provided some amazing insight to the people of Rapture and the world.

Lingitiz

Finished this and I'll probably write up my review tonight or over the weekend.

I don't remember the main game's combat being as bad as I found it here. It just felt really dull and frustrating to what I remembered. Maybe I'll play a bit of the main story again to refresh my memory.

Lijik

But the audio files were perfect in the OG Bioshock. They fell right in line with the story, and provided some amazing insight to the people of Rapture and the world.

Yeah I agree, they were done really well in the first game. Burial At Sea's (and Infinites too imo but to a far lesser degree) feel haphazard in their content and placement

Reckoner

I think that, overall, the first BioShock had everything really beautifully connected and contextualized. The combat, which is another discussion, and what you're saying about audio files is also a good point. I saw a comment on Youtube just now that left me thinking... ADAM was such a unique thing that being introduced in Infinite kind of washed out a bit of that exclusiveness and how amazing that discovery was, even though the
multiverse thing addresses that

FartOfWar

Banned
So is it worth it?

I got burned with the original, specially on this 3 things:

• Try hard ending
  • Find the MP3 to try to make sense of the story (oh you miss that crucial MP3?! I'm soooo sorry)
  • Click on eeeeeverything
If it is more of the same, I'll pass. (Still... might pick it up since Elizabeth is physically the same as one of my exes)
image.php

If you needed to find an MP3 to make sense of the story you were stuntin' in an airplane sleep mask. Go back to bed. I'll bring you a warm Lufthansa rag when its time for your dirty bagel.

Fuchsdh

Bioshock's world had a lot of cheats to it. The fact that people, corpses and loot are conveniently lying around is obscured by the fact that it's a world gone to hell where people might have stashed extra ammo where they could, where it's less likely people would have cleaned up the dead, and were probably too crazed to actually bother picking up random tapes.

Problem is, it's still pretty shaky from a logic standpoint, and the BioShock games since then have tried to use the same formula, exposing its weaknesses--witness Columbia, where you were looting oranges from garbage cans and no one seemed to bat an eye about you stealing things from stores, except in two very specific levels of the game for some reason.

Top Bottom