• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea |OT| Episode One

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Any rough consensus so far? I can day I'm up to closing my second vent - dont know how far that is or how long this dlc is - but I can say for certain I'm already enjoying it far more than Infinite. I likes BI, but it did a lot I didn't like and Columbia kind of missed my expectations... Way prefering the more cerebral, plodding rythem of Burial as well as the splicer combat and the ambient dialogue and feel of the world. Even brings back a tinge of the horror and goth elements of the originals. With the control and precision of BI its a real good combo.

Real light on overall story tho, which was my fav part of the series (and ending of BI which I loved)

puzl

Banned
It's £12 to buy here in the UK and I completed it in about 2 hours. Not much in the way of replayability and quite frankly, the whole "enter new area, kill bad guys, gawp at scenery for a bit and move on" gameplay formula got old very fast. It looks and sounds absolutely beautiful, but it didn't learn a single lesson from the criticisms of Infinite. Not worth the money IMO, but well worth picking up later as an inevitable dual-pack for about a fiver.

Alchemy

I really enjoyed this. Ran through it in a single sitting. Replacing Plasmids was fairly disappointing, but that was it.

bengraven

I broke and bought the season pass. Wanted to wait to find it on sale.

Gotta have my Elizabeth and Rapture. I haven't beat Bioshock 1 yet, only went about 2 or 3 hours in, so I'm going to replay 1 after Burial at Sea 2.

Guevara

Ugh I'm having serious glitch issues.

Early spoilers:
I go to talk to the doorman at Cohen's door, after he's done talking I'm stuck there. I've retried, restarted 3 times.

Also Elizabeth is supposed to be with me at this point but she disappeared and occasionally glitches back. Very frustrating.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I really enjoyed this. Ran through it in a single sitting. Replacing Plasmids was fairly disappointing, but that was it.

you can hold down the plasmid-change button to pick any of the plasmids you currently have in your possession

Ugh I'm having serious glitch issues.

Early spoilers:
I go to talk to the doorman at Cohen's door, after he's done talking I'm stuck there. I've retried, restarted 3 times.

Also Elizabeth is supposed to be with me at this point but she disappeared and occasionally glitches back. Very frustrating.
I had this same problem. Had to start the episode again.

AllenShrz

If you needed to find an MP3 to make sense of the story you were stuntin' in an airplane sleep mask. Go back to bed. I'll bring you a warm Lufthansa rag when its time for your dirty bagel.

Don't rustle your jimmies Shawn.

You really think is not necessary to find the audio logs to make sense of infinite?

Well, I believe otherwise.

Irrational can do much better than "find the mp3 game".

I really want to play this DLC, but I have a few questions first.

1. I figure I might as well buy the season pass to save me $10. Is it still available?

2. Has Microsoft switched over to dollar amounts for Xbox Live yet (as opposed to the points system)? I'd rather not put my credit card down. If I buy a 1600 point card that will still work, right?

3. When is Episode 2 scheduled to hit?

Thanks guys.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I really want to play this DLC, but I have a few questions first.

1. I figure I might as well buy the season pass to save me $10. Is it still available?

2. Has Microsoft switched over to dollar amounts for Xbox Live yet (as opposed to the points system)? I'd rather not put my credit card down. If I buy a 1600 point card that will still work, right?

3. When is Episode 2 scheduled to hit?

Thanks guys.

1) Yes
2) Yes and yes (the points will be converted to your local currency)
3) TBA

notBald

I just spent 30 minutes playing the Lucky Seven poker machine in Rapture while downing my second bottle of real life wine/gaming-juice for the day:

"You've earned your reputation as a gambler Mr Dewitt, perhaps you'd like to earn your income as a detective"

Imma getting really tired of your passive aggressive shit Elizabeth.

Update: I just got 3x Bananas on the Lucky Seven poker machine. Elizabeth doesn't seem impressed. Will continue to play anyway.
LOL

Didn't notice that machine on my play-through.

Wait, question: What happens if you shoot Elizabeth?

Curufinwe

Still more fun for me that the shitty mechanics in the original where you had to keep cycling between plasmids and weapons.

ColR100

Berluddy hell. You're meant to put things through QA before releasing them.

Stuck between the 'Securis doors' after hitting the second to enter back through. The panel sits there spinning forever and never opens, while you can't get out through the one you entered in either.

Been enjoying this DLC so far, but stuff like this is unacceptable.

- Looks like a fix for this is currently going on through testing, which is good to see. Guessing there will be an official update soon for the issue.

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?281336-PC-Burial-at-Sea-Episode-One-Beta-Opt-In-Patch-Details

Guevara

This DLC clearly testifies how dumb the gameplay has become in Infinite.
RIGHT?!

This was my primary impression too. Being back in rapture, I kept trying to play the game like Bioshock 1:

• I stupidly tried to run up behind and hack cameras and turrets, and then expected my possessed turrets to actually stay possessed and be helpful in later fights.
  • I completely forgot I could only carry two guns and a limited supply of ammo. Uh yeah, that's cool. I'll keep carrying all these handgun rounds (which I'll never use again) but only 12 shotgun shells (my current weapon) because that makes sense.
  • All the careful item management of Bioshock 1 is just dumbed down in general. I'm not managing my health kits I'm just eating everything I see between fights, and occasionally buying some at a vending machine.
  • And was it just me, or was the timing of finding lockpicks completely off? I finished the game with like 8. I still don't like this mechanic, or catching health and ammo from Liz.
Its not all bad though. I had a great time with a piece of clothing
that gave my bullets 50% chance of doing elemental damage.
Awesome Borderlands vibes!

And responding to criticism they finally thought of a truly creative use for
tears: the Samurai.
That was the only new idea I saw in that regard though.

Also I liked some of the clever uses
of the ice plasmid.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
[*]I completely forgot I could only carry two guns and a limited supply of ammo. Uh yeah, that's cool. I'll keep carrying all these handgun rounds (which I'll never use again) but only 12 shotgun shells (my current weapon) because that makes sense.

umm.. you can carry all the weapons at the same time .. you can only quick-select two. Hold the Y button to bring up the weapon wheel.

Seems a lot of people are missing this.

I didn't think the combat was as fun as it was in Infinite because the environment didn't allow big open areas, however I did enjoy the final fight and it still played a hell of a lot better than Bioshock. I also appreciated that they made the machine gun useful.

I found the DLC to be a little disappointing though, the location didn't differentiate itself from the 1st two Bioshocks enough so I wasn't all that enthralled by tracking through rapture again. Also whilst I enjoyed the story it neither seemed to add anything to the existing narrative of Bioshock nor did it have the depth to work as its own stand alone thing.
It felt like an episode of a show where a different Booker/Comstock belonging to alternative realities gets his comeuppance every week. It was cool and could be really interesting if there was a season of the things all happening in completely different places but that's not what we're getting.
Still, the second part could address this issue.

umm.. you can carry all the weapons at the same time .. you can only quick-select two. Hold the Y button to bring up the weapon wheel.

Seems a lot of people are missing this.

Does the game ever actually tell you that you can do this? It definitely reminds you about the Plasmid wheel, but I'm sure I was never told about a gun wheel.

Alchemy

you can hold down the plasmid-change button to pick any of the plasmids you currently have in your possession

I had this same problem. Had to start the episode again.

Plasmids arent in this, it has Vigors :p That was my point.

ZQQLANDER

I'm a little confused:

The reason Elizabeth killed Booker/Comstock was because in one reality he decapitated baby Elizabeth, right? Why didn't she kill him within the first two minutes? Does the "little sister" have any significance? Maybe Booker/Comstock wanted to save her because he felt guilty about baby Elizabeth?

Fuchsdh

I'm a little confused:

The reason Elizabeth killed Booker/Comstock was because in one reality he decapitated baby Elizabeth, right? Why didn't she kill him within the first two minutes? Does the "little sister" have any significance? Maybe Booker/Comstock wanted to save her because he felt guilty about baby Elizabeth?

I assume Elizabeth doesn't just
kill Comstock because she wants him to remember what happened first, and figures that's the way to do it. The main reason of course is 'because otherwise there wouldn't be DLC'.

ZQQLANDER

I assume Elizabeth doesn't just
kill Comstock because she wants him to remember what happened first, and figures that's the way to do it. The main reason of course is 'because otherwise there wouldn't be DLC'.

Thanks, can't wait for part 2. Really enjoyed this. Spent 3.5 hours and collected all 17 audio logs in one go.

REV 09

i actually really enjoyed this piece of DLC. just don't expect it to be super long or anything. i finished it in 3.7 hours on Normal according to Steam, but i took my time looking around. The ending is great and seeing rapture again was a fun experience. Elizabeth's character model is awesome. $15 is a bit much standalone, but as part of the season pass it's definitely worth the price.

Real light on overall story tho, which was my fav part of the series (and ending of BI which I loved)
It isn't lite on story at all. If you enjoyed the ending of Infinite then BAS should be a required experience.

Anduron

Only about 30 mins in but man, rapture is still my favorite world in gaming. I would kill for a fallout esque rpg in here.

teokrazia

RIGHT?!
I had a great time with a piece of clothing
that gave my bullets 50% chance of doing elemental damage.
Awesome Borderlands vibes!

Me too, I had the same feeling. :p

And I liked also...
...the last combat. Oh, the Bid Daddy, finally a pretty intense fight that gave a sense to my resources

For the rest, urgh.

The AI seems to have improved pathfinding when rush against you, but it still sucks: http://youtu.be/b4qsUs_kZfI

Hitboxes and area of impact of Plasmisds are HUGE. Like Infinite, this game doesn't even seem tuned like a FPS. It reminds me the shooter part of a multi-event title.

Inventory management is stupid: forced to istant use health and eve and Elizabeth that still gives you what you need when you need.

You can easly break alot of situations by abuse of the 'jump and land' technique of the sky hook

Explosive barrels placed near sentries. One, two, three times. Really?

During my first run in Infinite, some months ago, at a certain point I had to reinstall BioShock 1, because I couldn't understand what the fuck was going on with the new one. I had to check if I was mythicizing it. And, well, I wasn't. :p

I never thinked that BioShock was a flawless game and I can be ok with simplified formulas, but what Levine has done in Infinite it's just a freak, son of some serious both concept and production problems.

So I saw a the first hour or so of this at a friend's house. Seriously, does elizabeth have to not subtly at all hint that she's
omniscient
or whatever every fucking line she has? It got pretty grating really quickly.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I just thought it was cool to come full circle like that. Maybe they'll send off Bioshock with this gen?

It would be good. They started a franchise, left a lot of things ambiguous with the first game, but kind of gave an "be all end all" answer to all the questions at the end of the third, and this DLC is like the deleted scenes/extended epilogue from the extended edition of a DVD/Blu Ray.

Start a new franchise next-gen.

120v

i just finished this... and, SHEEEIT... that ending really kicked me in the balls. levine done did it again

really wish the thing was a bit longer,or maybe they released episodes one and two together. but as a hardcore fan i don't have any major complaints.

i hope they explain how
comstock (and liz) still exist with booker being killed before the baptism/rejection of the baptism
instead of shrugging it off with some metaphysical musings about how "anything's possible in the multiverse because". what i liked about the main game is the narrative never really resorted to "explaining it all away" and insulting your intelligence. there were no obvious loose ends

Started playing yesterday and all I have to say about it is this:
A. Rapture is fucking BEAUTIFUL! Goddamn, this looks all kinds of amazing.
B. The story is okay so far. I play this on hard and don't find it as hard as any other Bioshock title so far, so yeah. But the gameplay is better for sure.

It's fun to play and fun to watch. Don't know how far I'm in right now, though.

tipoo

Banned
Damn, Elizabeth. You are a brutal bitch now. And I love it! :D lol. Although I am a little confused on what is going on exactly... I mean, what is she doing? And I didn't think Comstock existed anymore after she drowned all the Bookers in the original Bioshock Infinite? Is she trying to tie up any loose ends on an.. infinite universe type thing? Girl, you'll be busy for a long time if that's your goal. :p

Anyone else have any theories on what Elizabeth's goal is?

Yes, I think she's just hunting down the stray Comstocks who somehow got away. This one got away because a third fork opened when her head instead of finger was chopped off so no one came to kill him.

So I saw a the first hour or so of this at a friend's house. Seriously, does elizabeth have to not subtly at all hint that she's
omniscient
or whatever every fucking line she has? It got pretty grating really quickly.

Haha, let's be honest - if you were
Omniscient
wouldn't you be dropping sly hints all over the place just to amuse yourself and troll people? :D

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
i actually really enjoyed this piece of DLC. just don't expect it to be super long or anything. i finished it in 3.7 hours on Normal according to Steam, but i took my time looking around. The ending is great and seeing rapture again was a fun experience. Elizabeth's character model is awesome. $15 is a bit much standalone, but as part of the season pass it's definitely worth the price.

It isn't lite on story at all. If you enjoyed the ending of Infinite then BAS should be a required experience.

What I mean is, it's not as much a story-driven experience as say, Bioshock and Rapture was the first time. It has an excellent ending, but there isn't much driving it. She just tells you you need to follow her to find your adopted daughter. That's really it. Nothing else drives the main character accept the objectives.

I LOVE the ambient dialogue though and seeing Rapture. I'm simply saying, it's light from a story perspective in the drive but not diminishing the ending.

Yes, I think she's just hunting down the stray Comstocks who somehow got away. This one got away because a third fork opened when her head instead of finger was chopped off so no one came to kill him.

This makes perfect sense. Thanks for posting it. Super easy to understand and explains it pretty cleanly.

Zia

I just got around to playing this and while I have some small complaints (I got hit by the airlock glitch, skylines seem harder to hop on and off of, I found a lot of small graphical glitches and in general I don't think the combat arenas are quite as well done as in Infinite proper), I loved it. It's a love letter to BioShock and fans of the series, a nice slice of noir (though that kind of unravels once you begin traveling) and a Rapture revisit that I really appreciated as I don't think the first game has held up all that well visually (or as a whole, but that's another conversation). Also, Infinite's poppy combat was interesting in the new setting.

So, as someone that has Infinite in her year-end top ten and approached this uncynically I think it's wonderful though not quite as polished as I expect from Irrational. Hopefully the second act gets some extra time in the oven but, yeah, good stuff.

Reckoner

I just got around to playing this and while I have some small complaints (I got hit by the airlock glitch, skylines seem harder to hop on and off of, I found a lot of small graphical glitches and in general I don't think the combat arenas are quite as well done as in Infinite proper), I loved it. It's a love letter to BioShock and fans of the series, a nice slice of noir (though that kind of unravels once you begin traveling) and a Rapture revisit that I really appreciated as I don't think the first game has held up all that well visually (or as a whole, but that's another conversation). Also, Infinite's poppy combat was interesting in the new setting.

So, as someone that has Infinite in her year-end top ten and approached this uncynically I think it's wonderful though not quite as polished as I expect from Irrational. Hopefully the second act gets some extra time in the oven but, yeah, good stuff.

I played BioShock recently and, for me, it stays one of the most beautiful games this generation. Ofc, that time there were some limitations, but there are some parts of Rapture that surely stand out.

Top Bottom