• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

neoism

Adjusting the texture streaming pool size does seem to have helped some. I still get stuttering but it's not as severe as it used to be.

Is there a way to disable bloom? The lighting in this game is way overdone. I already disabled light shafts.

in XEngine.ini go to find and type bloom... change to false... not sure if it will work though.. some of these don't do anything... like the hud change in my post above.

LuuKyK

Its a shame that my poor PC can only run this very pretty game on High settings. :( And it still suffers a bit, but its playable and Im enjoying the game a lot so no complaining. There are some problems with texture load for me though. Its really weird, specially the windows.

Dennis

Banned
It seems to make no difference for me between shadows on Very High and Ultra.

Also no performance difference with or without the ingame AA.

Autofokus

If anyone wants to get rid of the intro movies, delete some entries under [FullScreenMovie] in XEngine.ini so it looks like this:

Code:
[FullScreenMovie]
bForceNoMovies=FALSE
StartupMovies=LoopingMovieUntilStartupFinishes

I'm getting just seemingly random crashes. Not driver crashes game crashes.

i7-920@4Ghz
12gb ram
GTX 680
Win7 64-bit

Seems very inconsistent as to when it'll happen. Turned off fraps after the third crash and that let me play for a lot longer than before and then it crashes again. Frustrating. I just want to get lost in Columbia already. I want to poopsock this game, but don't know if I'll be able to with all these crashes.

edit: Did the poolsize increase as well.

Using the ultra preset with the resolution: 1366x768

i5-3570k
Gigabyte 7870 (1100/1450)
8GB RAM

tcWlYYM.png

red731

If anyone wants to get rid of the intro movies, delete some entries under [FullScreenMovie] in XEngine.ini so it looks like this:

Code:
[FullScreenMovie]
bForceNoMovies=FALSE
StartupMovies=LoopingMovieUntilStartupFinishes

I guess putting " ; " directly in front of the stuff there would disable it. Like in Borderlands 2 and elsewhere on UE.

ps: " ; " aka commenting out

Salsa

yeah now that I fixed pretty much every other issue the stuttering is bothering me a lot more.

Bummer, here's hoping some patching doesnt take long

also waiting on that Inspector profile, I wanna force some AA on this thing

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I got a new mission, so I exited the game assuming it'd saved, but now I'm all the way back at the point just after the baptism assault.

This wouldn't have been an issue if the game allowed you to manually save.

lexi

Banned
Worried about these stuttering complaints, it's the ONE thing I absolutely abhor. Aliasing, low res textures ain't got shit on interrupting nice, buttery smoothness.

Salsa

I got a new mission, so I exited the game assuming it'd saved, but now I'm all the way back at the point just after the baptism assault.

This wouldn't have been an issue if the game allowed you to manually save.

dude, the checkpoints are a huge bummer

ive been exiting beacuse im testing performance and whatnot and im always waaaaay back from where I assume it saved

they're just fucking random

just now I got a new main quest and I assumed "alright that section is done, I can quit safely" and NOPE

DocSeuss

My 3GB 7950 GHZ seems to be next to flawless.

SalsaShark, didn't Levine say that 1999 Mode would require you save a lot? Maybe it includes quicksaving or something?

Salsa

My 3GB 7950 GHZ seems to be next to flawless.

SalsaShark, didn't Levine say that 1999 Mode would require you save a lot? Maybe it includes quicksaving or something?

wouldnt know. I started on Hard to keep 1999 as an incentive for a second playthrough

the game does not have any sort of quicksave/quickload tho. Not even hard, manual ones. It's all checkpoints.

Gartikker

Might be a weird question. Would anyone mind posting how their custom fan profile is set, for example in msi afterburner. I have Nvidia 670 graphics card.

mileS

If you quit to the main menu first it tells you what time your last auto save was. More games need to do this.

I assume from other posts here that quitting to desktop doesn't tell you?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
dude, the checkpoints are a huge bummer

ive been exiting beacuse im testing performance and whatnot and im always waaaaay back from where I assume it saved

they're just fucking random

just now I got a new main quest and I assumed "alright that section is done, I can quit safely" and NOPE
They tell you when your last save was when you quit.

Salsa

They tell you when your last save was when you quit.

they tell you at wich time you saved, that's useless

I cant just instantly remember where I was at 5:19 am (yeah its late here). I dont have an intern in-game clock telling me how many minutes I played from point A to point B

If you quit to the main menu first it tells you what time your last auto save was. More games need to do this.

I assume from other posts here that quitting to desktop doesn't tell you?

it "warns" you even when exiting to desktop

kuYuri

Take back what I said, I am noticing an improvement in the stuttering after playing a little more.

Screen tear still a bummer unless I go for Vsync/30FPS.

Atruvius

How's the audio? Bioshock 2, and I presume Bioshock 1 as well, has issues with realtek audio. Like some audio effects are too quite or cut out, like the Big Daddy's drill cuts out in the middle of drilling an enemy.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
yeah now that I fixed pretty much every other issue the stuttering is bothering me a lot more.

Bummer, here's hoping some patching doesnt take long

also waiting on that Inspector profile, I wanna force some AA on this thing

Has there ever been a DX11 UE3/3.5 hardware AA flag? I can't recall one.

Firestorm

Anyone on an older video card? Wondering if I can run this on at least High @ 1080p VSynced to 30fps constant using my GTX 275...

Manac0r

Only played briefly last night, but the game kept chucking me back to desktop. It hadn't crashed as it was still running and I could alt tab back in but it kept happening at random times. Tried disabling afterburner incase that was the culprit but still happened... Running on 580 Sli's latest drivers...

Salsa

do the melee executions give you anything? I skipped that tutorial text and I dont see any reason to use them

also just rode my first skyline and god damn that was something

edit: im posting this here and not in the OT because over there it's black bars land already. Im bound to highlight something by mistake and get spoiled

Wolfie5

Ran benchmark on Very High with my old rig(HD4850 with E8400 duo and 4 GB RAM) and got 40-60 FPS average on resolution 1680x1050.

Started playing with: 1680x1050, Ultra texture quality, shadow normal, AA on, Texture filtering normal, AO normal, Object level normal and vsync off. There is some screen tearing, but other than that it runs just fine. Can I do something about the screen tearing?

Also, is there a way to adjust mouse senitivity? I have it on the lowest in the settings, but it´s still too high.

leng jai

It enables diffusion depth of field, which is a more advanced variant, though some prefer "normal" DoF.

It's pretty taxing. My game doesn't hold 60fps with it on.

Is is just more or does the fire plasmid not have great audio? Sometimes it seems like the sound effect doesn't work at all.

Also is there a way to turn off the armour on/off effect? It's annoying the shit out of me already.

Salsa

the gunplay blows Bio1/2 out of the water

combat in general seems to be much more fun

and I love the piano queues when you get a headshot/etc

Firestorm

Ran benchmark on Very High with my old rig(HD4850 with E8400 duo and 4 GB RAM) and got 40-60 FPS average on resolution 1680x1050.

Started playing with: 1680x1050, Ultra texture quality, shadow normal, AA on, Texture filtering normal, AO normal, Object level normal and vsync off. There is some screen tearing, but other than that it runs just fine. Can I do something about the screen tearing?

Also, is there a way to adjust mouse senitivity? I have it on the lowest in the settings, but it´s still too high.
:eek: Awesome to know. Guess I'm going with PC!

Played for about 3 hour just now playing at 1080p with fxaa + Smaa and everything to the max expect the depth of field option; getting 60fps didn't notice any stuttering.

specs:
i5-2500k
7970 3gb
8gb ram

Tried down-sampling:
1440p+dynamic shadow (very high or Ultra) = instant drop to 30fps
1440p+post-processing alternate = 30fps
1440p+ambient occlusion Ultra = 30fps
1440p+all of the above = steady 30fps

also 1080p+post-processing alternate = instant drop to 30fps

Wolfie5

:eek: Awesome to know. Guess I'm going with PC!

I am only at the start so don´t quote me too much into it. Don´t know how FPS will go on during combat(might need to lower something later on). But so far it does look good :)

EDIT:

FPS drops noticeably during fights. Had to reduce texture quality to normal.

Deepo

How's the audio? Bioshock 2, and I presume Bioshock 1 as well, has issues with realtek audio. Like some audio effects are too quite or cut out, like the Big Daddy's drill cuts out in the middle of drilling an enemy.

I'm not noticing missing effects, but some of the mix seems completely off. Particularly the voices of enemies is hearable through walls, so it always seems like they're standing right next to you, even though they're pretty far away.

leng jai

I'm not noticing missing effects, but some of the mix seems completely off. Particularly the voices of enemies is hearable through walls, so it always seems like they're standing right next to you, even though they're pretty far away.

That shit was in Bioshock 1 as well.

The ambience is quite good and the music sublime. Everything else is so so. Weapons and plasmids could use more oomph. Coming straight from Tomb Raider the sound mix overall is a bit of a let down.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Ran it for a bit, I hit too many lockups and stuttering to be playable. Even going down to medium settings with reduced resolution didn't help.

Looks like I'll be putting this game off till I can upgrade my graphics card. Bummer.

Top Bottom