• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

Late Flag

I didn't realize this was out already. I'll pick this up when it's on sale sometime during the Christmas season. The original was pretty awesome, and the second one is underrated. (Infinite was boring and uninspired IMO).

It's loathsome the way people discuss the quality of a remaster of a game everyone has already played and likely owns multiple copies of, that exists solely for its graphical enhancements.

Is that the only reason it exists?
When I did the checkout it said Bioshock Collection not Bioshock Remastered. Only here will you find people debating all day over water you see for 15 seconds.

Just like Ultimate Alliance I am looking to play an old favorite not sweat how many pixels I see when I push my nose up to the screen.

Fledz

Cool, I never played the first one. Will have to grab it now during the next sale and play the remastered version on PC.

Maximo

When I did the checkout it said Bioshock Collection not Bioshock Remastered. Only here will you find people debating all day over water you see for 15 seconds.

Just like Ultimate Alliance I am looking to play an old favorite not sweat how many pixels I see when I push my nose up to the screen.

"What gets upgraded on PC?
BioShock ➜ BioShock remastered including the unlockable video series, Director’s Commentary: Imagining BioShock
BioShock 2 ➜ BioShock 2 remastered
BioShock 2: Minerva’s Den ➜ BioShock 2: Minerva’s Den remastered"

Handwaving parts of a REMASTER that are worse then the original...come on it even says they are a Remaster in the description not that hard to find. Yeah Graphics shouldn't be the focus point letting people enjoy these games who might not have before is, (and this is coming from someone who has played and beat Bioshock 10+ times), but peoples criticism shouldn't be laughed at, or your * I see when I push my nose up to the screen" comes across more snobby then anyone calling out the water, some aspects look worse and should be pointed out for those interested.

CompC

Just finished the first area and didn't find any golden reels, but it said there was one. What's the best way to redo it? Do I have to start the game over? Should I just never leave an area until I've gotten all the reels? You can't go back, can you?

The Rizza

Late to the party my people.

But that reminds me I should probably finish watching these. I collected them all but wanted to keep focus on the game while playing.

I missed the second one. Mind giving me the location? I have a save on every level I've been to so far so I can go back and grab things I've missed

Toa TAK

Banned
Just finished the first area and didn't find any golden reels, but it said there was one. What's the best way to redo it? Do I have to start the game over? Should I just never leave an area until I've gotten all the reels? You can't go back, can you?

You're better off reloading the last save you had in the intro before heading into Medical Pavilion.

Or restarting. :(
I missed the second one. Mind giving me the location? I have a save on every level I've been to so far so I can go back and grab things I've missed

The list is here.

I did the same thing. I have to pick up a few audio logs and a few tonics myself.

I grabbed it on PS4 today.

Played the first game for about an hour, then switched over to Infinite and played about an hour and a half. I was in a weird phase when the original came out where I was attempting to quit video games for a year, but I was roomed up with my brother at the time and did watch him play through the vast majority of the game. About a year and a half after that, I tried to pick it up and play it myself, but it never attached. To date, I've only beaten Infinite on PC out of the entire series, though I've seen the vast majority of the first game. I've never seen more than about 10 minutes of BioShock 2, and the defense of that game in response to the release of The Collection honestly has me excited to get to it... Eventually.

That said, the first game's expanded FOV and tweaked analog aiming feels like a godsend right off the bat. The acceleration on the right stick feels a bit too slow, even with the sensitivity cranked up some (and then it feels like it's too jerky), so they didn't manage to find just the right balance just yet, but I do feel like it is a lot better than the twitchy nature of the original as I recall. The FOV also doesn't disorient me any longer, it's not as wide as some of the games I play on PC but it's fine now. Framerate is mostly solid with a few tiny, non-gameplay-disrupting dips from time to time. Audio feels a bit dated in a lot of areas -- doesn't feel like the game properly distinguishes left and right channels sometimes and some of the effects now sound just a little hokey, but it's not awful.

Infinite feels just like when I played in on PC, though again the FOV is lower than when I played on PC (but still largely fine). Just like my personal experience playing it on an i5-2500k+GTX 680 rig when it launched, it stutters from time to time, but it feels like it happens way more often in wandering moments or when the game is trying to load in new assets as you progress. It's mostly 60fps, though, and so far I haven't found the dips to be combat-disruptive. Even the right stick aiming feels like the PC version with an Xbox controller -- it's fast and a bit loose, and sports a much better feel to aiming than the original console release of BioShock 1. It does still feel distinctive from BioShock 1 because of the way it feels the controls have been retuned for BioShock 1 and 2, whereas Infinite was largely just a port job of the PC version and they didn't seem to opt for retuning there. Somewhere between the two is the perfect feeling, but all of them are playable in their current state.

Anyway, I'm genuinely having fun with the first game, and I'm enjoying my romp thru Infinite again. I might do Infinite, Burial At Sea, BioShock 1, BioShock 2 play order in the long run. I never played Burial At Sea, so I think outside of Infinite and some vague recollections of watching a playthrough of 1, much of this is brand spanking new to me.

psychotron

Though I'm disappointed in what I've seen so far from comparison videos, I'm weak and bought it. DF, please hurry and do a comparison!

Neiteio

I grabbed it on PS4 today.

Played the first game for about an hour, then switched over to Infinite and played about an hour and a half. I was in a weird phase when the original came out where I was attempting to quit video games for a year, but I was roomed up with my brother at the time and did watch him play through the vast majority of the game. About a year and a half after that, I tried to pick it up and play it myself, but it never attached. To date, I've only beaten Infinite on PC out of the entire series, though I've seen the vast majority of the first game. I've never seen more than about 10 minutes of BioShock 2, and the defense of that game in response to the release of The Collection honestly has me excited to get to it... Eventually.

That said, the first game's expanded FOV and tweaked analog aiming feels like a godsend right off the bat. The acceleration on the right stick feels a bit too slow, even with the sensitivity cranked up some (and then it feels like it's too jerky), so they didn't manage to find just the right balance just yet, but I do feel like it is a lot better than the twitchy nature of the original as I recall. The FOV also doesn't disorient me any longer, it's not as wide as some of the games I play on PC but it's fine now. Framerate is mostly solid with a few tiny, non-gameplay-disrupting dips from time to time. Audio feels a bit dated in a lot of areas -- doesn't feel like the game properly distinguishes left and right channels sometimes and some of the effects now sound just a little hokey, but it's not awful.

Infinite feels just like when I played in on PC, though again the FOV is lower than when I played on PC (but still largely fine). Just like my personal experience playing it on an i5-2500k+GTX 680 rig when it launched, it stutters from time to time, but it feels like it happens way more often in wandering moments or when the game is trying to load in new assets as you progress. It's mostly 60fps, though, and so far I haven't found the dips to be combat-disruptive. Even the right stick aiming feels like the PC version with an Xbox controller -- it's fast and a bit loose, and sports a much better feel to aiming than the original console release of BioShock 1. It does still feel distinctive from BioShock 1 because of the way it feels the controls have been retuned for BioShock 1 and 2, whereas Infinite was largely just a port job of the PC version and they didn't seem to opt for retuning there. Somewhere between the two is the perfect feeling, but all of them are playable in their current state.

Anyway, I'm genuinely having fun with the first game, and I'm enjoying my romp thru Infinite again. I might do Infinite, Burial At Sea, BioShock 1, BioShock 2 play order in the long run. I never played Burial At Sea, so I think outside of Infinite and some vague recollections of watching a playthrough of 1, much of this is brand spanking new to me.
Nice impressions! Looking forward to trying my PS4 copy once it arrives from Amazon.

XB1 version right? Everything running great, no achievement faults? I'm starting my run on Friday and I don't want to replay parts of the game if something is wrong still.
Yep XB1! Everything has been running great from what I've played. No achievement issues yet, but I only just
killed Steinman

Jombie

I'm trying to stream infinite with ps4 on twitch and get the message that the current scene is blocked but it's during gameplay. I'm getting the privacy screen on twitch. Any way to fix this?

Rellik

I'm trying to stream infinite with ps4 on twitch and get the message that the current scene is blocked but it's during gameplay. I'm getting the privacy screen on twitch. Any way to fix this?

They can block gameplay too.

There is nothing you can do.

AgeEighty

Playing the PS4 version of BioShock. The missing water effects are definitely noticeable. In the part that's been debated here with the plane fuselage, the absence of water effects allows you to clearly see the flat "wall" at the back of the plane which should be obscured. I noticed similar problems in the room where the security alert goes off; the waterfall should look much more waterfall-ish but it just looks like a flat texture flowing over a rounded surface.

Another annoying thing I noticed is that there are various problems with the splicers' dialogue. The ones with scripted dialogue—like the splicer with the baby carriage and the two shouting at each other through the door in the Kashmir Restaurant—used to loop their dialogue infinitely, but it now only plays through once and then they fall silent. (For this reason I only caught the last line from the latter two splicers as I entered the room and never heard the rest.) The generic splicers are more chatty in places they shouldn't be, including where they're meant to surprise you. (You shouldn't hear them gabbing while they're waiting in the wings during Ryan's first speech right before you escape to the Medical Pavilion, but you do.) They also always sound like they're right on top of you even if they're in another room.

Also audio-wise, the audio diaries appear to have had the "scratchy tape" effects removed and now sound clear as a bell.

There are also some textures that stay in ultra low-res until you're right on top of them. Aside from that and the water issues the game looks great so far, but I can't help thinking these are illusion-breaking issues that would have been fixed had it been Levine or members of his team who worked on this.

If you buy on PC now what version do you get?

Wondering about this as well. If I redeemed a Bioshock key on Steam now, would I still get the remaster? I'd imagine so, but I can't find anything definitive.

first off, the remaster isn't out on pc yet. it comes out tomorrow @ 3 pm pst.

secondly, any of the games you buy you will end up with 2 entries in your steam database: one for the original game, and one for the remaster. the remaster doesn't overwrite the original.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Playing the PS4 version of BioShock. The missing water effects are definitely noticeable. In the part that's been debated here with the plane fuselage, the absence of water effects allows you to clearly see the flat "wall" at the back of the plane which should be obscured. I noticed similar problems in the room where the security alert goes off; the waterfall should look much more waterfall-ish but it just looks like a flat texture flowing over a rounded surface.

Another annoying thing I noticed is that there are various problems with the splicers' dialogue. The ones with scripted dialogue—like the splicer with the baby carriage and the two shouting at each other through the door in the Kashmir Restaurant—used to loop their dialogue infinitely, but it now only plays through once and then they fall silent. (For this reason I only caught the last line from the latter two splicers as I entered the room and never heard the rest.) The generic splicers are more chatty in places they shouldn't be, including where they're meant to surprise you. (You shouldn't hear them gabbing while they're waiting in the wings during Ryan's first speech right before you escape to the Medical Pavilion, but you do.) They also always sound like they're right on top of you even if they're in another room.

Also audio-wise, the audio diaries appear to have had the "scratchy tape" effects removed and now sound clear as a bell.

There are also some textures that stay in ultra low-res until you're right on top of them. Aside from that and the water issues the game looks great so far, but I can't help thinking these are illusion-breaking issues that would have been fixed had it been Levine or members of his team who worked on this.

None of this sounds good...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The devs completely forgot anisotropic filtering on the textures so floors and walls look like blurry shit more than 4 feet away from the camera
I swear, at Gamescom, I had someone from the port studio right next to me. I pointed this out and they just shrugged and starting avoiding me. Not to say he was responsible for this, but stil, people were going to react negatively when it shipped.

madmackem

PS4 must have some problem with AF..hardly any games have any.
That's not true at all most games have it some don't, it's a situation that was sorted a while back that somehow the makers of this collection didn't get the memo, hopefully a patch is in the works like those early games that lacked af.

I swear, at Gamescom, I had someone from the port studio right next to me. I pointed this out and they just shrugged and starting avoiding me. Not to say he was responsible for this, but stil, people were going to react negatively when it shipped.
The conspiracy deepens, I just need answers. Why do so many titles on the PS4 struggle with AF?

madmackem

The conspiracy deepens, I just need answers. Why do so many titles on the PS4 struggle with AF?
This is the first title in a while that has had the af issue its not that common anymore, if you had read the original thread on it it was an issue with the dev tools at the time.

Anyone got pic from the xbone version? Does it have similar issues? I'd swap my preorder to xbone if it doesn't don't want to wait for a patch for ps4.

I never understand these kinds of defensive posts. We are talking about a game that currently exists in its original form and that is being released with upgrades. When the bluray of a movie releases I'm not okay with missing special effects or scenes with altered or objectively worse lighting. I want the original movie, in higher definition and better sound with every effort made to preserve the original directors intentions

This is of course completely ignoring your comment about 15 seconds of water when the game is entirely set underwater and the water effects are in essentially every environment. It's not just that hallway - all water pools, all water falls, all splashes - every water element looks downgraded. And it's totally unacceptable when I thought I was buying the bioshock bluray.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wondering about this as well. If I redeemed a Bioshock key on Steam now, would I still get the remaster? I'd imagine so, but I can't find anything definitive.

If you buy the games on Steam now, you'll get the remasters. If you activate retail keys/gift copies, you'll get the remasters, regardless of when you do so as BioShock 2's GFWL keys were whitelisted by 2K and Valve when the Steamworks patch hit. With the original game, however the only Steam-friendly "retail" keys are sold by select digital stores, such as GMG -- physical retail keys are non-Steam keys and receiving a Steam key for the remaster requires submitting a support ticket to 2K with proof of ownership.

2K hasn't said whether or not the original games will be pulled from sale after the remasters release. If they are yanked, then nothing will change, but if they remain up, then they'll have new packages that don't contain the remasters and this will be true of any newly-generated (digital) retail keys/newly-purchased gift copies.

* 2K's support website briefly had a section regarding whether or not those with non-Steam keys will be able to upgrade to the remastered version. It was blank and is no longer present on the site, though, which -- especially now, this close to release -- leads me to believe that such users are SOL. Edit: Ah, it was merged with "Can I Upgrade to HD if I Already Own Previous BioShock Titles on Steam?".

This is the first title in a while that has had the af issue its not that common anymore, if you had read the original thread on it it was an issue with the dev tools at the time.

Anyone got pic from the xbone version? Does it have similar issues? I'd swap my preorder to xbone if it doesn't don't want to wait for a patch for ps4.
I see, wonder why this remaster is missing AF then, does the BioShock Infinite port lack AF as well?

I would.

Infinite has the same problem (and more)
Damn, this is quite disappointing news for me. I do hope we get a patch to gel out this issues, but post launch support for these remastered ports is inconsistent at best. I'll still pick them up, but hold of playing in hopes of a patch.

Roussow

Damn the physical copy is a nice package. The glistening, textured cardboard sleeve is really nice. Although it's a little funny that both Blu-rays are in two separate identical cases -- not that I'm complaining about having more of this box art.

CsYMlRoUEAAu9VX.jpg

Shouldn't be surprised by the quality though, the old PS3 Bioshock had a very similarly attractive cardboard sleeve.

Stoze

...Ok now I'm worried. Why the hell did they mess with the audio? Man, hopefully at least the texture pop-in is better on PC if all this is true.

Top Bottom