• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

DOWN

Banned
I swear, at Gamescom, I had someone from the port studio right next to me. I pointed this out and they just shrugged and starting avoiding me. Not to say he was responsible for this, but stil, people were going to react negatively when it shipped.
I seriously usually never care about it that much in games despite seeing you guys mention it being missing fairly often, but in this one it is super obvious due to being first person and in lots of walled corridors

Any way we can bring this to the devs attention for a fix? 😩

Gorillaz

"60fps or bust" is really starting to come back and bite people in the ass.

Cut backs left and right, screen tearing, no AF. good job.

Bioshock is in a weird space for me when it comes to that. Like the game wasn't THAT bad for running in 30 back then. It's one of the few that I would have probably let the 30 slide again. But at the same time, I've been getting tired of graphics over framerate talk for some of these shooters in the past few years.

Only issue I have is the footsteps sound effects are really wonky.

IE: sometimes it sounds like two sets of footsteps so I keep thinking someone is behind me. Then other times it sounds like I took off a shoe, because one foot sounds way louder than the other.

A good way to replicate is to just find a quiet area and spin around in circles with a surround sound setup connected. Maybe it's just bad SS implementation?

DOWN

Banned
Playing the PS4 version of BioShock. The missing water effects are definitely noticeable. In the part that's been debated here with the plane fuselage, the absence of water effects allows you to clearly see the flat "wall" at the back of the plane which should be obscured. I noticed similar problems in the room where the security alert goes off; the waterfall should look much more waterfall-ish but it just looks like a flat texture flowing over a rounded surface.

Another annoying thing I noticed is that there are various problems with the splicers' dialogue. The ones with scripted dialogue—like the splicer with the baby carriage and the two shouting at each other through the door in the Kashmir Restaurant—used to loop their dialogue infinitely, but it now only plays through once and then they fall silent. (For this reason I only caught the last line from the latter two splicers as I entered the room and never heard the rest.) The generic splicers are more chatty in places they shouldn't be, including where they're meant to surprise you. (You shouldn't hear them gabbing while they're waiting in the wings during Ryan's first speech right before you escape to the Medical Pavilion, but you do.) They also always sound like they're right on top of you even if they're in another room.

Also audio-wise, the audio diaries appear to have had the "scratchy tape" effects removed and now sound clear as a bell.

There are also some textures that stay in ultra low-res until you're right on top of them. Aside from that and the water issues the game looks great so far, but I can't help thinking these are illusion-breaking issues that would have been fixed had it been Levine or members of his team who worked on this.
Disagree on the audio. And I don't recall it looping in the examples you mention. I used to wait out those dialogue sequences to attack.

AgeEighty

Disagree on the audio. And I don't recall it looping in the examples you mention. I used to wait out those dialogue sequences to attack.

It definitely did. And I put in my original copy of BioShock to check and ensure I wasn't misremembering: the audio is definitely handled differently in all the ways I mentioned.

The Rizza

It definitely did. And I put in my original copy of BioShock to check and ensure I wasn't misremembering: the audio is definitely handled differently in all the ways I mentioned.

I'm with you on the audio. I keep hearing splicers whistling like they're right next to me when they're actually far away or in completely different rooms.

Stranya

I'm with you on the audio. I keep hearing splicers whistling like they're right next to me when they're actually far away or in completely different rooms.
I played the original a few weeks ago and this definitely happened on X360 too. Not all the time, of course.

Atolm

I'd say these are the very definition of average to competent. Not good, not great, but moderately competent. They do run at 60fps the majority of the time and look roughly on par with the PC version at 1080p60.

...but that's really it. The AF is bad, frame-rate can be unstable in combat and there are various other issues. Loading is super quick, though, surprisingly.

That's the very definition of lazy when the PC versions run on toasters even with downsampling/4k and you can have them for like 3 bucks at every Steam Season sale.

It's because this lack of care and respect that I decides to ditch consoles. Every remaster sold at full price should be treated with the utmost care.

Just got through the Smuggler's Hideout. Pros/cons I've noticed so far:

+ The upped framerate and improved FOV are really nice, and work together to amp up the tension.

+ Gameplay feels way smoother than the original generally, probably due to the higher framerate.

+ There's a generally sharper look since the textures have been mostly redone and the resolution is higher. The original game could get a little fuzzy in places, and details pop a lot more now.

- Some of the effects that got a lot more work in the original weren't recreated 100%, like the water effects that have been discussed to death in this thread.

- The biggest problem I've encountered is audio issues. Sometimes a couple words of dialogue will repeat, either during voiced scenes or audio logs. And in other cases enemy chatter pops up before I can hear it, or even worse when the enemy's in the other room and they shouldn't have noticed me yet. This happened sometimes in the original, but followed me everywhere in Neptune's Bounty in the remaster. Really immersion breaking. (2K Support suggests actually clearing my cache between plays, which might help. We'll see.) The audio's also a little less balanced. The dialogue seems a bit too quiet sometimes.

- The other problem is that I find myself triggering accidental Eve injections when I mean to hack things mid-jump instead. This happened very occasionally in the original (the timing window is pretty short), but happens every time I have to jump to hack a camera in the remaster.

Assuming the audio loops get fixed with a patch, I don't see why this wouldn't be my primary mode of playing these games from now on. Even then, they're not a total deal-breaker, especially since I'm already familiar with the game anyway.

The Rizza

I played the original a few weeks ago and this definitely happened on X360 too. Not all the time, of course.

I could be wrong. Just don't remember it happening as often. Also using a different audio setup than I had back then so that could definitely factor in

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That's the very definition of lazy when the PC versions run on toasters even with downsampling/4k and you can have them for like 3 bucks at every Steam Season sale.

It's because this lack of care and respect that I decides to ditch consoles. Every remaster sold at full price should be treated with the utmost care.
Bioshock Infinite does not run on a toaster.

It is not an insanely demanding game or anything, but I first played it on an i5-3570k + GTX780 back when it was released and it had a LOT of stuttering issues and certainly couldn't maintain 1080p60 in all situations. It was a reasonably smooth but not entirely smooth experience. The UE3 stutters while streaming assets were certainly an issue.

"60fps or bust" is really starting to come back and bite people in the ass.

Cut backs left and right, screen tearing, no AF. good job.

I agree.

Hitting 60 is the reason for all the cut backs and marketing these days thinks its a ´´must´´ because everyone is screaming 60 frames - but forget those consoles are just not that good!

The result: All those 60frames remasters with a lot of trade offs (cut backs)!

All i can say is: thank god rockstar went for 30 frames with gta5 and used the horsepower way more efficient and smarter!

Balance is key!

I'm having a blast.... but the lack of AF it's distracting some times. Will provide some images latter to prove, but the job here is amazing. Bioshock 1 feels epic in 60 fps (played the PS3 version at launch kkkk).

Played Infinite for 15 minutes and daaaaamn. It looks so good. PS3, I love you but.... things are know much better.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Bioshock is in a weird space for me when it comes to that. Like the game wasn't THAT bad for running in 30 back then. It's one of the few that I would have probably let the 30 slide again. But at the same time, I've been getting tired of graphics over framerate talk for some of these shooters in the past few years.

Screen tearing and no AF is completely unacceptable.

No excuses.

1/3 through bioshock 2 again and it confirms what I remembered.

It is the much better game than the original and infinite. I love the level design so much more and seriously love the defense segments as it require me to play differently.

My biggest surprise was how much better it looks. It's a sequel, so it obviously should, but from the first room in 2, which i started an hour after finishing the first, it was clear. Everything from the floor textures to the lighting.

I lost a half hour of game time though when I learned you can have too many saves. Seriously. When trying to make my first save in 2 I got a warning that said application saved data is full, go make room. Like wtf game, warn me about that as I launch maybe?

Gorillaz

Screen tearing and no AF is completely unacceptable.

No excuses.

Neither is the fact we still have other series/games that were 30 frames last gen still 30 this gen even with a "boost". That shit is an even bigger eye roller. I'll take the 60 with a small bump hopefully they patch some of this.

system11

AF will probably get patched in, this smacks of the old problem where it's simple to enable but devs forgot/didnt know how. The fact that it happened many times before is proof enough that it can/will happen again.

system11

I just saw that issue with streaming and their response on the support site. Nothing says "fuck you" like "you'd like to use this feature but you can't because reasons".

Well, now you can't have my money because reasons.

Is it worth playing the remasters on PC if you could already play them at 1080/60?

It sounds like the main focus on releasing on the new consoles vs the prior ones...

I just saw that issue with streaming and their response on the support site. Nothing says "fuck you" like "you'd like to use this feature but you can't because reasons".

I just looked this up, weird. Can you even save local videos?

Smokey

How can you get these through Steam? I own all 3 versions of the game. I've read that they will auto show up in your library? I just tried to re-download B1 thinking it would give me option for remaster, but no such thing happened.

fenners

How can you get these through Steam? I own all 3 versions of the game. I've read that they will auto show up in your library? I just tried to re-download B1 thinking it would give me option for remaster, but no such thing happened.

Later tonight, the remasters will get added to your library.

Smokey

Later tonight, the remasters will get added to your library.

Thanks.

I'm actually playing through B1 on PS4 collection. Game still has crazy atmosphere. I'm playing with headphones, and maybe it's just me, but the audio mix seems to be a bit off?

I've seen a variety of blocked games (Japan....) and I've not seen a single one where blocking streaming didn't also affect recording.
Thought as much, I've also been reading about BioShock 1 not getting any surround sound support either. That and the other reported audio glitches (among other issues) has definitely soured me on the overall package. I really hope these problems get resolved in a patch.

Gator86

The other stuff makes sense because it's a lower tier port studio cranking out the collection on a likely limited budget, but how does the streaming thing happen. This one just seems inexplicable and their explanation hilariously non-informative.

I'm hoping they patch a lot of this stuff but the time this hits the flash sales.

stephen08

I've been playing it and loving it. Some of the stuff in this thread is accurate but others aren't. There's definitely some kind of missing effect on the water particularly when it meets another surface or other water. The most egregious it got was during this one section in Arcadia.

Audio I'm reasonably sure is the same. I definitely do not recall looping dialogue by the splicers and the audio log scratchiness is still there.

I'm just in Apollo square now and the game plays amazingly. Maybe it doesn't compare to the highest PC settings, I'm not sure but it is a faithful remake and worth it if you've either never played it or want to replay it.

The biggest negatives for me are the freezes that can happen on PS4 if you bring up the quick menu or the fact I can't pick up this one directors commentary in Fontaine Fisheries.

Izcarielo

Banned
Spanish gaffer here: I still dont have the Collection on my library. Wasnt it supposed to unlock at 15:00?
LLShC.gif

AgeEighty

It usually happened if they were in horizontal proximity to you, if not vertical proximity: if they were up a floor you'd still hear them clearly. In the remaster it seems to happen even if they aren't horizontally close. And the volume mixing is a little different and places voiceovers higher in the mix than before, which doesn't help.

Toa TAK

Banned
Is Burial At Sea worth 10 bucks (current sale price for Infinite season pass on Steam), or would I likely be disappointed?
It's a fun go, but YMMV on the story. I appreciated it a lot for what Levine wanted story-wise. But I feel it was ultimately unnecessary. Still, it's great to see more of a functioning Rapture and it's fun to run through in the action first half and the stealth second.

DOWN

Banned
Is Burial At Sea worth 10 bucks (current sale price for Infinite season pass on Steam), or would I likely be disappointed?
It's one of my favorite DLCs ever. Stylish and dark. It's divisive for people who I guess consider it a sole canon idea when (Infinite spoiler)
it's really meant to be one of Infinite potential timelines.

Top Bottom