• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

ktroopa

Yeah, other then some very slight audio issues, Bioshock has been running and looking great for me on PS4.

It does indeed look and run great on PS4, im very happy with it. I actually even turned off expanded FOV as this returned the view to the original FOV as on 360 when it launched. It makes the game more intense for me, bigger wrench and hands lol. im sure a patch will address the sound issues, otherwise its excellent on PS4.

As a PC gamer I really don't see what the big hubbub is about this. Aside from a few flickering textures, and some stuttering in audio diaries, this has been fine. It looks lovely, wider FOV, 60fps physics, controller support (OG bioshock didn't have it, and this is one of the few FPSes I prefer on controller).

Also, it was fucking free, so really, how can you complain about that?

aravuus

Note that the remaster has the water in the eyes effect, which the original is missing. In the original when the door buckles after you climb through the tail plane the original has a flat texture bisecting the screen. The remaster blurs your eyes with a water effect similar to bioshock 2.

The electricity plasmid light source cast shadows as opposed to the dull blue circle glow that cuts out when too close to walls of the original.

The flat water part was just a random comment - I know the remasters look generally better. But I think the original games still look great, so better (or, uh, not as bad I guess lol) audio quality is in this case definitely more important to me.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah you can.

Not that I could hear, I mean just copy pasting audio files won't restore the missing EAX sound effects either. But if the actual quality of the sounds is lower than the original, it should improve things. But I don't think they should be considering the remaster's audio files are twice as big.

Update on this. I looked in the audio folder again. The reason Remaster's audio folder is twice as big is because it has also has german, french and italian audio along with the english audio. So it's obvious compression is a thing.

Now, they went from .wav to .ogg, I dunno if that would make a huge difference

1B2lhfH.png

Top window is the remaster, the one infront is the original releae. Would that be enough of a difference for a noticable difference in audio quality? the bit sample thing seems to suggest actual audio information may have been lost in the compression? But I'm not an audio engineer so I can't say going from raw audio to .ogg would make a big difference quality wise.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
As a PC gamer I really don't see what the big hubbub is about this. Aside from a few flickering textures, and some stuttering in audio diaries, this has been fine. It looks lovely, wider FOV, 60fps physics, controller support (OG bioshock didn't have it, and this is one of the few FPSes I prefer on controller).

Also, it was fucking free, so really, how can you complain about that?
Original Bioshock does support controllers. I know because I was just testing it that way.

It's Bioshock 2 on the PC that was missing controller support.

Original Bioshock does support controllers. I know because I was just testing it that way.

It's Bioshock 2 on the PC that was missing controller support.

Yea I keep seeing people saying Bio1 didn't support controller..theres a big option for it in the options, it even compeltely changes the menu UI to be more like the 360 game..which actually kind of sucks because it takes away graphic options.

Sande

You can get the Worlds of Hurt speedrun trophy on easy, even though it says medium or higher. Not sure about other trophies / platforms.

f@luS

More than a member.
Just received it. I played only the first one and LOVED it. Am I for an amazing ride ? 🙌🏻🙏🏼

Just received it. I played only the first one and LOVED it. Am I for an amazing ride ? 🙌🏻🙏🏼

Depends on whether you played the original I guess? If you have fond memories of the the first Bioshock there are some issues with the remaster that are bothersome. Check out the pros and cons on one of the previous pages.

haha wow, you can still just change the difficulty at the last second of the game and get the difficulty achievements that way. It was that way in the original on 360 too

Älg

Now, they went from .wav to .ogg, I dunno if that would make a huge difference

There shouldn't be much of an audible difference if the files are properly encoded. Files sizes don't look particularly small, so intuitively I feel like it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm pretty disappointed the audio diaries don't come out of the controller on the ps4. I've always thought ps4 controller was perfect for those types of things.

I'm pretty disappointed the audio diaries don't come out of the controller on the ps4. I've always thought ps4 controller was perfect for those types of things.
The option would be nice but it's the worst when games force it by default

As soon as I heard it in Mankind Divided I switched it immediately

I like it in stuff like Resogun where it's a quick noise, but I don't want to hear conversations/long strings of dialogue on it

From John:

BioShock Infinite PS4 vs Xbox One Analysis + Frame-Rate Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfRE4i0xHus

This is really bad. The AF issue on the PS4 is ridiculous at this point, some of the scenes in the video are really good evidence for how bad low AF can make an image look. The framerate is unacceptable on both. It's been 3 years since people played this maxed on PC at 60 or above and here we are and it's dropping to the 40s in places that there isn't even any action.

ugh does anyone know how to fix the awful controller aiming on PC? was it like this in the original version? is there some ini we can edit to make it less horrible?

Game crashed because I pressed M because I didn't know what something was. I say "you know what its no biggy". I relaunch the game and it reset all my settings. Are you fucking for real 2K?

Update: the crash also reset my .ini tweaks. Are you serious, man?

So how does the Bioshock 1 Xbox One port hold up to the 360 version?

Right now, I want this, but I think I'll hold out until the bugs are patched since I got a huge backlog already.

Is there a better solution to the PC FOV? Using a hotkey only makes it reset to default every time you do anything.

The Big Daddy fights in early game are really not good. Especially in BioShock 2 where they have a ton of health. They just run right up to you and you spam health kits until they die.

These challenge rooms are pretty dumb, I never played them before. It's just like they found the most obscure and weird ways they could make you use powers and stuff, and packed them all into lackluster areas. Was this dlc? I don't even remember it existing

zerotol

Banned
These challenge rooms are pretty dumb, I never played them before. It's just like they found the most obscure and weird ways they could make you use powers and stuff, and packed them all into lackluster areas. Was this dlc? I don't even remember it existing

I tried one last night and it was pretty bad. IIRC, they were added into the PS3 version when it came out.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
This is really bad. The AF issue on the PS4 is ridiculous at this point, some of the scenes in the video are really good evidence for how bad low AF can make an image look. The framerate is unacceptable on both. It's been 3 years since people played this maxed on PC at 60 or above and here we are and it's dropping to the 40s in places that there isn't even any action.

It's definitely an Unreal Engine problem with the ps4. Same thing happened with Devil May Cry remaster.

I've played thirty minutes of Bioshock and all of the first part of Burial At Sea. Bioshock looks like I remember it looking (which means it's a really good remaster, frankly) but know it didn't actually look - I originally played it on 360 - and Burial At sea looks excellent. I haven't played the DLC for Inifinte - that was my main reason for buying it full price, as I've been excited to play it - and so far I'm not disappointed. It's got some quite bad frame rate drops, but not like it crawls or tears, thank god.

pa22word

Playing Bio2 again it's literally jaw dropping how horrible infinite is in comparison. It's almost like someone watched some trailers for Bio2 and said, "oh hey those guys are doing a dual wield thing that's interesting let's try that!" and everything that Bio2 did they bungled in Infinite. Everything is worse. The guns are worse, the shooting mechanics are worse, powers are a thousand times worse, the systems are worse, the base gameplay mechanics are worse (rng healthkits? in a FPS? are you fucking kidding me?!), enemies are worse, etc. It's probably the worst sequel in recent memory that i've played that was just a straight up indefensible degradation from the game before it.

zerotol

Banned
Playing Bio2 again it's literally jaw dropping how horrible infinite is in comparison. It's almost like someone watched some trailers for Bio2 and said, "oh hey those guys are doing a dual wield thing that's interesting let's try that!" and everything that Bio2 did they bungled in Infinite. Everything is worse. The guns are worse, the shooting mechanics are worse, powers are a thousand times worse, the systems are worse, the base gameplay mechanics are worse (rng healthkits? in a FPS? are you fucking kidding me?!), enemies are worse, etc. It's probably the worst sequel in recent memory that i've played that was just a straight up indefensible degradation from the game before it.

I didn't like Infinite and consider Bioshock 2 to be better than it in almost every way. Never bothered with the DLC, is Burial at Sea any good?

Toa TAK

Banned
I didn't like Infinite and consider Bioshock 2 to be better than it in almost every way. Never bothered with the DLC, is Burial at Sea any good?
If you didn't like Infinite chances are you might not dig the DLC, either. Even people who liked Infinite are divided on it.

Onikaan

Apparently you can't Record clips, Save Screenshots or Stream the game due to 2K blocking the feature? (For Xbox One at least).

teokrazia

Yep.
Infinite is a huge stepback.
Dumbed down and bungled as hell.

Gorillaz

From story to game play bio2 is the king of the series. Infinite gets a nod because of its ending but still 2 is the king

Top Bottom