• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

Farewell

Here you go.

ODac.jpg

Wow this is awful.

RiggyRob

Encountered the first audio glitch of Bioshock on PS4 of Johnny repeating 'Atlantic Atlantic Atlantic' within the the first 10 minutes of the game.

That's baaaaaaaaaaad.

Encountered the first audio glitch of Bioshock on PS4 of Johnny repeating 'Atlantic Atlantic Atlantic' within the the first 10 minutes of the game.

That's baaaaaaaaaaad.

This happened to me like 3-4 times on Xbox in my play through. Characters and audio logs repeated the first word a few times.

So, uh, how long did it take Iron Galaxy to salvage Borderlands 2 and what High Voltage did to The Pre-Sequel, and what are the chances 2K will have Blind Squirrel do something similar in a similar time frame?

Can't believe a flagship franchise like this would get a rush-job port (especially since it's been rumored for ages), but here we are.

Haven't been following the entire thread but is there anything I can do before playing that will fix some of the games issue? About to play it for the first time so I rather do what I can to improve it as best as possible.

I saw an earlier post about how you can use nvidia inspector for HBAO+ but is there anything else I can do?

Bioshocker

OK, so I've played BioShock for about an hour or so. It's a nice revisit, it sure brings back memories from when I first played it on Xbox 360. The environments are so awesome, the art design is like candy to my eyes. Love the audio too.

The game looks good, but it's obvious it's a last gen game. I'm also reminded of the lackluster combat (I still HATE the turrets!). What I enjoyed the most with BioShock was to explore, listen to the audio logs, and learn more about the story. I still feel the same. This could have been an amazing game if they had thrown in exciting sidequests and toned down the combat. Now it's just a very good one.

Picked up the Xbox One version today and started with Infinite as it's the one I've played the least (and the first game, time setting-wise). I'd forgotten how much these games made you feel like a midget, lol. I stood next to the chair in the lighthouse and wondered if the camera was at groin height or something, ha ha.

SkylineRKR

Holy shit, dat heat seaking RPG.

I shot at a Houdini, he warped up the stairs. The RPG would slow down, go up the stairs, make a bend and exploded just when the houdini reappeared. Guy smashed against the wall.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Anyone using an XB1 elite controller on PC I recommend changing your thumbstick settings to 'instant' and in-game sensitivity to around 6. That seems to be the sweet spot for me.

I think I'll pick this up today or tomorrow. I only know the
twist
in the first game and played all of infinite, but I've never played Bioshock 2 or any of the DLCS so seems like a great deal.

Stranya

Picked up the Xbox One version today and started with Infinite as it's the one I've played the least (and the first game, time setting-wise). I'd forgotten how much these games made you feel like a midget, lol. I stood next to the chair in the lighthouse and wondered if the camera was at groin height or something, ha ha.
Killzone-esque.

BigBoss

Pro-tip for PC players , don't pick up the audio diary in Prometheus Point on the second floor in a supply closet that you find in a trash can. You need to use your fire plasmid to melt some ice to access the door, every time I tried interacting with the the diary it caused a crash back to the desktop.

rtcn63

Pro-tip for PC players , don't pick up the audio diary in Prometheus Point on the second floor in a supply closet that you find in a trash can. You need to use your fire plasmid to melt some ice to access the door, every time I tried interacting with the the diary it caused a crash back to the desktop.

Another tip- don't press the Print Screen button. Well maybe once will be alright. Was having weird graphical glitches shortly after getting the camera, so I tried to take some screenshots, and it froze the game. I had to task manager out and kill the exe. Lost over an hour of progress and just decided to uninstall it. I can't do all that hacking and scrounging again.

SkylineRKR

I'm near the end. Final quarter still sucks. Enemies are annoying, level design is mediocre. Probably better just to go through that with a wrench build.

I must say some things weren't as bad as I remembered. I hacked like 4 times in total, mostly had auto hacks or paid up. Security Bullseye is worth gold as well, I mostly let myself being spotted.

Plankfan

Running into an issue on PS4. Just beat BS1 and started BS2. Got to the first autosave and it won't save. Says they're not enough space in the application save data. I guess it shares space with BS1 because I kept having to delete my manual saves there...

And when I try to go into save data on the PS4 I have to close the game. Only gonna lose like 30mins but that's still lame.

edit: went in and deleted some BS1 saves and it fixed the problem. Save files grew larger as I progressed through the game. Interesting

pa22word

I think I'll pick this up today or tomorrow. I only know the
twist
in the first game and played all of infinite, but I've never played Bioshock 2 or any of the DLCS so seems like a great deal.

You're in for a treat then, because Bio2 is the best game in the series. Especially with Minerva's Den thrown in.

parabolee

You're in for a treat then, because Bio2 is the best game in the series. Especially with Minerva's Den thrown in.

This is sacrilege IMO. 2 was better than it had any right to be, and Minerva's Den was among the best DLC I have ever played. But BS1 and especially Infinite are true masterpieces, and Burial at Sea may be THE best DLC I have ever played. It is the most essential part of the whole Bioshock series IMO.

Anyway you cut it, this is an incredible collection. Hope they fix the flaws and bugs because these games deserve it.

Running into an issue on PS4. Just beat BS1 and started BS2. Got to the first autosave and it won't save. Says they're not enough space in the application save data. I guess it shares space with BS1 because I kept having to delete my manual saves there...

And when I try to go into save data on the PS4 I have to close the game. Only gonna lose like 30mins but that's still lame.

edit: went in and deleted some BS1 saves and it fixed the problem. Save files grew larger as I progressed through the game. Interesting

Yikes. I feel bad enough that I already cracked this thing open as-is, but I sure hope 2K gets this thing patched in a major way sometime soon.

pa22word

This is sacrilege IMO. 2 was better than it had any right to be, and Minerva's Den was among the best DLC I have ever played. But BS1 and especially Infinite are true masterpieces, and Burial at Sea may be THE best DLC I have ever played. It is the most essential part of the whole Bioshock series IMO.

Anyway you cut it, this is an incredible collection. Hope they fix the flaws and bugs because these games deserve it.

BS1 is a shitty, consolized remake of SS2, and Infinite is worse than Bio2 in every conceivable metric. I legit have no idea how anyone can call BS1 a "masterpiece" if they've played SS2. That game came out in 1999 and did everything better than Bio1 did years and years before it came out.

Bio2 at least does its own thing and plays like some amazingly good bastard child of Clive Barker's Undying and Doom with some Bio1 sprinkled in.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Playing the original Bioshock and fuck me, I'm a pansy with games now. I'm legit spooked.

I have no idea how I played through this for the first time in 2007.

zerotol

Banned
I'm near the end. Final quarter still sucks. Enemies are annoying, level design is mediocre. Probably better just to go through that with a wrench build.

I must say some things weren't as bad as I remembered. I hacked like 4 times in total, mostly had auto hacks or paid up. Security Bullseye is worth gold as well, I mostly let myself being spotted.

Yeah, I finished it again last night for the first time in quite a few years. It's still really good, but the final quarter does kinda suck. Still worth playing to revisit Rapture. Started 2 tonight and it instantly feels better as far as the ability to dual wield goes. I have good memories of it so I'll see how it holds up.

Gator86

BS1 is a shitty, consolized remake of SS2, and Infinite is worse than Bio2 in every conceivable metric. I legit have no idea how anyone can call BS1 a "masterpiece" if they've played SS2. That game came out in 1999 and did everything better than Bio1 did years and years before it came out.

Bio2 at least does its own thing and plays like some amazingly good bastard child of Clive Barker's Undying and Doom with some Bio1 sprinkled in.

I've played SS2 and prefer Bioshock by a wide margin. It's almost like opinions exist! Not every janky old PC game needs to be put on a pedestal by insulting games made after.

How's the PC port of the remasters? If they're crap I might just buy it on the xbox.
The original PC-versions are still the best versions, I wouldn't bother with the remasters, imo.

Unless you need controller support. I don't think there's controller support in the originals, but I could be wrong.

got all the achievements in 1, those challenge rooms were a complete pain in the ass. I think I have only played 2 once before, and dont even remember that much from it. So I am actually really forward to experiencing that again.

Just had my first crash fighting a Big Daddy in Bioshock 2. The one that throws turrets on the ground. Too much chaos on the screen and it crashed. Good thing I always save right before I fight a Big Daddy or Big Sister.

I've played SS2 and prefer Bioshock by a wide margin. It's almost like opinions exist! Not every janky old PC game needs to be put on a pedestal by insulting games made after.

For me, playing SS2 did prove detrimental to Bioshock. Mainly because (Bioshock spoilers)

You learn pretty quickly in SS2 that Ken Levine does not like interactive cutscenes (ie dialogue boxes). So that mandates that every time a plot objective is "hey, I'm a survivor, come meet up" you know for a fact that something will go wrong and you won't meet.

And the Atlas is the real bad guy thing is just a lesser retread of the similar reveal with Shodan in SS2.

I would have enjoyed Bioshock significantly more if I hadn't already played SS2.

Toa TAK

Banned
Burial at Sea is complete shit compared to Minerva's Den. It may be an essential part of the BioShock narrative but that doesn't mean it was any good for it.

Minerva's Den is the entire BioShock experience all wrapped up in a six hour package. The emotional thrills, the characters, the gameplay, thematic areas, it's all there and it rules.

Just had my first crash fighting a Big Daddy in Bioshock 2. The one that throws turrets on the ground. Too much chaos on the screen and it crashed. Good thing I always save right before I fight a Big Daddy or Big Sister.

Yeah, I'm on the Xbox One and I've been experiencing a lot of crashing for 2, which sucks because it's my favorite one. It's happening to me during Little Sister gatherings. I just save right before I start them but I wish I didn't crash 3 times already due to it.

I know this may surprise you.... but many who played Bioshock never touched System Shock. And the experience in Bioshock was far more enjoyable than going back and playing a ten year old PC game.

Azzanadra

Starting up Bioshock had some effect on me. This game means a lot to me, it is the game that got me into "mainstream" gaming- before that, I literally just played Runescape and the Wii. This led me to many RPGs and Shooters and my first Sony console (PS3).... I booted it up just to see how it looks and I couldn't keep myself from playing, it was an hour before I finally pried my hands off the controller. I nearly teared up hearing the instrumental to "Beyond the Sea" as I entered the lighthouse, and felt a familiar exhilaration descending into Rapture.

I am just going to quote a response from another thread in which I described SS2 to a potential newcomer, because I honestly feel these old classics get way too much leeway because of nostalgia:

"Its like the spiritual predecessor of Bioshock as many have noted. Don't expect it to be as good as Bioshock though, it quite clunky, unbalanced and (obviously) dated graphically. The backtracking makes Bioshock look like a one-way street, and what initially comes off as a fairly intimidating villain soon turns to be a Saturday morning cartoon. System Shock 2 is more complex and complicated, to its detriment. The combined use of plasmids and firearms in Bioshock made for a much more enjoyable experience and was really how it should be, whereas in System Shock 2 you will have to choose between the two, not enough cyber modules (the skill points in this game) to go around. I mentioned it was unbalanced before, and the reason for that is because PSI (plasmids/magic in this game) pales in comparison to the firearms. Like seriously, there is no reason to go PSI unless you already played the game and want something new. There's also a bunch of cool sci-fi weapons and alien weapons, but again, by the time you get those, you will have the godly assault rifle and there is no point to invest points into these other weapons. I hate streamlining as much as the next guy, but I feel like in the case of SS2, it worked and the positives outweighed the negatives.

So yeah, pretty much expect a test-run for Bioshock. Heck, even the story beats and characters basically have counterpart equivalents in Bioshock, though not as well written. You can tell Ken Levine was just testing the waters here. Its definitely a lot more harder, though, so if you are starting with the game, I suggest going standard/energy weapons just to survive, and trying the other stuff in subsequent playthroughs once you have a hang of the game. Save often too, if I recall correctly, its one of those old-school games that boots you to the start menu if you die. Its quite brutal in difficulty, I found normal in SS2 harder than 1999 mode in Bioshock Infinite or hard in Bioshock, for comparison."

People need to take off the rose tinted goggles, out of the old FPS/RPG hybrids, SS2 has held up the worst. I can still boot up Deus Ex and have great fun with it, same with Thief- but System Shock 2 pretty much has a better, more mature and refined experience and its Bioshock.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Alrite. But its the lack AF i have a hard time ignoring, either way they lost another sale on PS4.

That the remasters have more technical issues than the original games is actually incorrect, from what I've read. The problem is that Blind Squirrel apparently did not set out to fix the various PC-specific hiccups in the original releases aside from the 30Hz physics.

To be fair, though, I think Blind Squirrel may have been spread thin. Judging from when the remasters were first uploaded to Steam, they were only in development for around 11 months. Plenty of the time for one game, sure; not so much for two and and a sizeable piece of DLC.

Top Bottom