• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

sdornan

Playing Bioshock 1 on PS4. Just left Fontaine's Fisheries. Haven't had any issues, and it definitely looks better than it did when I originally played it on the 360. It was always one of my favorite games from the previous generation, and playing through it all again solidifies that.

Excited to play through the other two again after this one. I remember Bioshock 2 being decent but really liking Infinite. Not sure why Infinite gets so much hate when the world and atmosphere is so cool.

Zimmy68

It's weird, Infinite went from being overrated at launch to getting so much hate that it's somehow become underrated.
Infinite was like No Man Sky.
As good a game as it is (and I love it) it was not was promised.

Watch some of the E3 comparisons where they talked about open world, Elizabeth being able to combine powers with you and fighting along with you, etc.

Watch some of the E3 comparisons where they talked about open world, Elizabeth being able to combine powers with you and fighting along with you, etc.

Infinite was actually good though.

In fact, Jim Sterling brought up this exact point in a No Man's Sky video. There was far less backlash about Infinite changing throughout it's development, largely because the finished product was still incredible.

We can't buy them individually? Would love to finally give Infinite a go, but there's no way I want to put myself through the first two again. Or pay for them, for that matter.

Gator86

Which system is that? I don't even know how a bug like that goes through playtesting. Maybe they didn't.

So sad how one of the best games ever made is being treated.

Maybe good in the end. If the collection winds up being embarrassing enough, it might get a big patch that fixes a lot of the issues. If it just stays middling dreck that only a few people are irritated by, they'll probably just move on.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Infinite was actually good though.

In fact, Jim Sterling brought up this exact point in a No Man's Sky video. There was far less backlash about Infinite changing throughout it's development, largely because the finished product was still incredible.

Infinite is right behind Uncharted 3 in GAF's over-hated league table. An amazing game that's more or less universally praised everywhere except here, it's the reverse Arkham Origins.

Catvoca

Banned

I was watching the directors commentary on Bioshock and they were talking about how they made a mostly scripted demo showcasing the Big Daddies and most of the gameplay systems, and then they developed towards making the game play like that demo. It's funny since it sounds like the exact same thing they did with Infinite, except with Infinite they weren't able to hit the goals that were set with the demo, and instead had to compromise and make a very different (but still amazing IMO) game.

rtcn63

Infinite would look better if Bioshock 2 didn't exist. The combat in the latter has more variety, from the different ammo types to the weapons themselves.
As opposed to standard shotgun, rifle, etc. with standard damage, magazine, etc. upgrades. Vox weapons were basically joke weapons. The two-gun limit only made things worse. And Infinite needed a NG+ mode, since you get so many of the less bland powers so late in the game.

Fuchsdh

I've played SS2 and prefer Bioshock by a wide margin. It's almost like opinions exist! Not every janky old PC game needs to be put on a pedestal by insulting games made after.

You'd think we'd have moved beyond the "90s and early 2000s PC games were the best games of all time!" mantra, but it's still going strong.

(I disliked SS2 as well. Game mechanics got in the way of my playing instead of benefiting it, inventory management is a pain, and the twist is honestly much better-executed in BioShock. Finally the actual atmosphere of Rapture is far superior to the space environs.)

Infinite would look better if Bioshock 2 didn't exist. The combat in the latter has more variety, from the different ammo types to the weapons themselves.
As opposed to standard shotgun, rifle, etc. with standard damage, magazine, etc. upgrades. Vox weapons were basically joke weapons. The two-gun limit only made things worse. And Infinite needed a NG+ mode, since you get so many of the less bland powers so late in the game.

Infinite to me seemed like it was taking steps to addressing my biggest complaint with the BioShock series, which is the combat has always been the weakest element of the games. The problem was that they broadened the weapon sandbox while simultaneously removing some of its depth (your combat options were very RNG based given gear, compared to the ability to heavily specialize in BS1 and 2, and the wider range of weapons was mostly duplicative Vox and Founder weapons.) and that the encounters took a nosedive as well (fewer options to avoid fights or take alternate paths, Vox snipers/volleymen and annoying 1HKs that stuck you behind cover, etc.) Still a great game to me along with the rest of the series, though, and so it's sad the remasters don't hold up as well as they should.

Also, making the shield have an obnoxious screen shattering effect with loud noise to go along with it was an idea that shouldn't have gotten through playtesting.

system11

Maybe good in the end. If the collection winds up being embarrassing enough, it might get a big patch that fixes a lot of the issues. If it just stays middling dreck that only a few people are irritated by, they'll probably just move on.

This is my worry. The media seem oblivious to most of it, solid row of high scores.

Gator86

I think that's fair. B2 is the pinnacle of the Bioshock gameplay in all aspects. The weapon diversity, build options, and creativity in approach to counters is astounding. Infinite is definitely a "we need to get this out the door finally." It's not bad, but it's hard to compare back to 2. The setting and world were enough to offset that for me though.

gfxtwin

Infinite would be better if it wasn't called Bioshock.

The problem comes from comparing two very different games because they share a name.

I've been saying this since it was announced. Always felt like System Shock = Citadel Station. Bioshock = Rapture. And B:I should've been the spiritual sequel to those games, titled "Infinity Shock" or "Aeroshock" or something.

SilentRob

The problem comes from comparing two very different games because they share a name.

They share an incredible amount of similarities in gameplay, plot, storytelling and characters. They are very, very similar games and the only big difference is the scenario, which actually isn't too different because it's simply another variation of Man with certain political views builds absurd city at some unreachable place and society collapses because polical view holds problems, leading to social commentary.
And, well, then there are the actual story connections of course.

But yeah, the hate Infinity gets on this forum is insane to me, too. I can appreciate if parts of it weren't your cup of tea but calling the gameplay, story or characters outright bad seems pretty far-fetched to me.

J3nga

A remaster that ain't worth to call itself a remaster(PC version).
No ultrawide support, surround problems, you get to enjoy screen when quick saving, constant crashes and then all options drop down to default. A true example of how remasters shouldn't be done, I know it's free, but it's heavy garbage at the same time guys, so doesn't count.

Is the Collection split into two separate applications on Xbone?

Used to the Xbox controls for these games and the icons are ugly as sin on the PS4 UI, so am considering switching platform.

muzzymate

Is the Collection split into two separate applications on Xbone?

Used to the Xbox controls for these games and the icons are ugly as sin on the PS4 UI, so am considering switching platform.

I believe it comes on two discs. However, installed it appears as three separate games in the Games Library view, each with their own separate tiles. (Bioshock, Bioshock 2, and Bioshock Infinite).

Disclaimer: I bought it digitally.

I caught one of those teleporting slicers off-guard and now she's in shock.

5RAggx0.jpg

Man I actually prefer infinite over either bioshock game. The world presentation of the first bioshock and infinite are both incredible. It's something Levine did not lose one bit over the years

But I just found the faster paced gameplay of infinite a lot more enjoyable than bioshock.

System Shock 2 is his GOAT tho but I'm waiting on him to make a new game already

SkylineRKR

Infinite is just severely lacking compared to Rapture. There is less exploration, less loot and no item creation. There is no planning either. I always went to battle BD's with a plan, I made a trap room for them. That stuff is gimped in Infinite. The worst is the 2 weapon limit. I don't want to part with the Shotty and Sniper, but I like the handcannon as well. Burial at Sea fixed this but had other issues.

What the hell is this? Just...wut?

Its true.

If you first beat BS1 and don't manage your saves, you might be fucked in BS2. I played for nearly an hour and noticed the game didn't autosave. Then manual didn't work either because I had no space. I had about 500mb worth of BS1 saves which are about 10. I guess 500mb is the cap. The beauty is that you can't go to save management without closing the app, effectively losing all progress.

I deleted all but 1 of my BS1 saves but didn't replay BS2 yet, but I think it works now.

Its hilariously bad, one of the stupidest things I've encountered yet.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I fired up Infinite again, and damn it's quite a sight in 4K. I think those sharp, colorful visuals are pulling me in for another play through.

leng jai

I fired up Infinite again, and damn it's quite a sight in 4K. I think those sharp, colorful visuals are pulling me in for another play through.

Don't you have horrible stuttering though? I agree it looks incredible at super high resolutions but the stuttering makes it unplayable for me.

Gorillaz

Even if infinite wasn't following up on 2 my main problem was that it stopped feeling fun by the last few hours.

A triple fight against an enemy that wasn't fun to begin with? Nah. By that point the game and it's mechanics overstayed it's welcome. The ending and story beats were the highlight

psychotron

Which system is that? I don't even know how a bug like that goes through playtesting. Maybe they didn't.

So sad how one of the best games ever made is being treated.

PS4. I've come across tons of glitches so far. Buttons you can't press, horrible aim acceleration issues, audio completely fucked up. The only thing that keeps me playing is the fact that I love Bioshock 1. This remaster is trash though.

x-Lundz-x

For those on PS4 with Acceleration issues when turning right it's most likely your controller. I went an purchased a new controller after my buddy said his game was fine and sure enough the issues are fixed. My old controller is 3 years old and came with my PS4 so I guess it's just worn out and need to be replaced.

psychotron

For those on PS4 with Acceleration issues when turning right it's most likely your controller. I went an purchased a new controller after my buddy said his game was fine and sure enough the issues are fixed. My old controller is 3 years old and came with my PS4 so I guess it's just worn out and need to be replaced.

Don't think so. My controller is new and feels great playing Deus Ex. Though the issue seems to go away at times. For instance, I adjusted sensitivity all the way up and it felt no different really. Then I came across one of those commentary movies and when it went back to gameplay, aiming felt insanely fast.

MattyG

Banned
Just finished Minerva's Den for the first time. Wow. That
audio log where Porter talks to Pearl is powerful, and it was completely unexpected. I didn't expect the resolution of a story about a super computer to be so human and moving.

Goddamn it GAF now you guys unhyped me to play it. I want to play it but now I don't know if I should wait for a patch. I have never played it before and I don't give a shit about water effects, visuals, physics, framedrops, AF or anything unless it's a game breaking/freezing bug.
So should I go for it? :)
btw it's the PS4 version.

sdornan

PS4. I've come across tons of glitches so far. Buttons you can't press, horrible aim acceleration issues, audio completely fucked up. The only thing that keeps me playing is the fact that I love Bioshock 1. This remaster is trash though.

How far in are you? I just got to Fort Frolic on PS4 and haven't had any big issues.

Goddamn it GAF now you guys unhyped to play it Bioshock. I want to play it but now I don't know if I should wait for a patch. I have never plays it before so I don't give shit about water effects, physics, framedrops, AF or anything unless it's a game breaking/freezing bug.
So should I go for it :)

I'd say go for it. If you've never played any of these games before, you're in for quite an experience.

televator

Goddamn it GAF now you guys unhyped me to play it. I want to play it but now I don't know if I should wait for a patch. I have never played it before and I don't give a shit about water effects, visuals, physics, framedrops, AF or anything unless it's a game breaking/freezing bug.
So should I go for it? :)

Given your high tolerance for visual and performance issues, I say go for it... just don't save in 10 slots before starting the next game.

Chabbles

That the remasters have more technical issues than the original games is actually incorrect, from what I've read. The problem is that Blind Squirrel apparently did not set out to fix the various PC-specific hiccups in the original releases aside from the 30Hz physics.

To be fair, though, I think Blind Squirrel may have been spread thin. Judging from when the remasters were first uploaded to Steam, they were only in development for around 11 months. Plenty of the time for one game, sure; not so much for two and and a sizeable piece of DLC.

Are you saying that the PC remasters are worse off than the console remasters in general ?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Really surprised by how much better it looks, I always thought BS1 look kinda dated but it looks good here
Infinite looks more or less the same.
I'da been pissed if i dropped 60 bux for this. Embarrassing.
I would be too, its only 30 quid.
That would be embarrassing.

Rellik

Don't think so. My controller is new and feels great playing Deus Ex. Though the issue seems to go away at times. For instance, I adjusted sensitivity all the way up and it felt no different really. Then I came across one of those commentary movies and when it went back to gameplay, aiming felt insanely fast.

It's happened to me before where my sticks only gave me issues in a single game. A new controller fixed it. It's typical cheap ass DS4.

Top Bottom