• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Bioware Neglected Their Main Demographic: The Straight Male Gamer"

snoopeasystreet said:
Hearing that games made that way bums me out.

You'd think writers would set out to write interesting characters who just also happen to be part of a stereotype because it further defines their character. But if they're saying "we need to make a gay dude for gay players to like". I dunno, it seems wrong.

Gay male, and I completely agree.

Rufus

The only thing that bothered me was that Anders was bi-sexual all of a sudden. As far as I remember, he didn't show any sign of that in Awakenings, so it took me by surprise. But I guess they needed another options for homo- or bisexual Hawkes, so whatever. It evens out.

This proves one thing to me: Some Bioware fans should just start playing dating sims already. If that's what bothers you so much and if that's a big part of your enjoyment with a game you might as well go all in.
Take a look at the most popular mods and draw your conclusions from that.

Smision said:
then what happens
Varric is exaggerating this part of the tale where her boobs are really big. Then he starts to tell the tale seriously and her boobs are just big instead of really big.

Shanadeus

Banned
1)Straight people: does including a gay romance option in a very obvious way (like it was done in DA2) bother you? Do you feel awkward or offended if a gay character in the game tries to hit on you?

It doesn't matter, it just feel very forced.

Alucrid

Banned
"Bioware Neglected Their Main Demographic: The Straight Male Gamer who doesn't get any action so he lives his fantasies through videogames."

I find it incredible how much time some people on the Internet have to post shit like that. W T F cares? Oh no, my sexuality is under attack in a video game!

I guess I'm a minority inside a majority - straight male, I always play as women and always go for lesbian relationship.

MaddenNFL64

I have a homophobic friend who swears if "a gay" ever talks to him sexually, he'll kick his ass.

I wonder if people like that will just get over that shit as they get older, or will it get worse?

Deku

Banned
I never knew this clamour for immersion is games means the game has to adhere to the bro gamer's prejudices or the immersion is broken.

I want to disagree and argue the point, but I have no doubt the quoted bits in the OP is exactly how a large swathe of gamers reason and come to terms with their prejudices.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Castor Krieg said:
I find it incredible how much time some people on the Internet have to post shit like that. W T F cares? Oh no, my sexuality is under attack in a video game!

I guess I'm a minority inside a majority - straight male, I always play as women and always go for lesbian relationship.
That sounds fairly straight male... probably the most common.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Castor Krieg said:

wow me too.

I do dudes on the second walkthrough though.

Thnikkaman said:
BioWare Social had its fair share of users hoping for a wincest option. :|

So Varric really does exaggerate these facets of the story..?

The problem i found her design cute (where I am he hasnt talk very much) so for one I wanted the game let you have a romance with her, but I also didnt wanted because she is my fucking sister, fucking bioware, dont make cute sisters in games!

Isabella has a face piercing that I dont like and the elf chick, that would have probably been my option is THE ONLY FUCKING CHARACTER IN THE GAME WITH PAINTED FINGERNAILS.
And I fucking hate painted fingernails.

John

i feel awkward if pretty much any game character tries to hit on me

or person now that i think about it

hm.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Stop the presses! Entire industry dedicated to heterosexual males dares to include gay characters, women characters; alienates entirely too entitled user base!

I mean, seriously, his argument is "Wah, as a straight guy I feel so underrepresented in the game!" I don't even have words for how stupid this is.

All the romances are a little goofy obviously, never felt offended by any of them though. Plus, if you go with the "heartbreak" option in the first flirty / romantic conversation, doesn't it pretty much kill the romance?

Has Bioware ever released any stats as to what percentage of players complete the romances in each of their games? I have in every Bioware game I've ever played, I dunno if I should be ashamed of it.

the homosexual agenda

sure, at first it's just guys hitting on you in Dragon Age.. next thing you know, BOOM, you're blowing a 19 year old Chilean delivery boy.

1)Straight people: does including a gay romance option in a very obvious way (like it was done in DA2) bother you? Do you feel awkward or offended if a gay character in the game tries to hit on you?
I couldn't give two shits less, in fact I'd probably think it was funny. I can't believe this guy got so worked up over this nonsense.

AtomHeart

Neo Member
I'm a straight male and I ended up romancing with Anders instead of Isabella or Merill, because they were both horribly designed characters with absolutely dreadful personalities.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Castor Krieg said:
There's a whole paranoid movement that fears their very maleness is being undermined at every turn.

If you can't:

1) Watch a tv show with a smart handsome male lead (They think the Drew Carey Show and King of Queens were created exclusively to undermine straight males)
2) Punch a woman into a coma
3) Dismantle title IX
4) Play a game designed for a straight male gamer

Your rights as a male are being grossly undermined.

megalowho

I couldn't read through that entire post. What a bunch of nonsense. While it's true that the industry caters to straight males on the whole, the romance aspects of DA2, and by association any kind of sexuality in the game, has absolutely zero bearing on how comfortable I feel playing it. Not sure about the "exotic female choices only" point he brings up either.. are romance options objectionable if there isn't a white, attractive, safely written girl for horny gamers to woo and potentially fake-fuck?

subversus said:
No. I did not personally pursue any male romances in the game aside from seeing what would come out of a flirt or two. I've had gay friends who know I'm straight hit on me in real life. It's fine, we have a laugh about it.

subversus said:
so I wanted to ask straight and gay people.

2)Gay people: do you use such options in Bioware (and other) games and the most important - are they actually well done?

I hope for honest answers but I guess I won't get many, lol

As a SMG, I chose all the gay options with my male character just for shits and giggles.

madara

Can't answer the pure straight part but it sure is tame compared to other media like movies. I would die for a dark hand drawn looking game with gritty mature all gay cast. Kinda like Omar where gay isnt even a stereotype or an issue. I know I have some ideas in my head over the years for casts and settings.

graywolf323

Sir Garbageman said:
Has Bioware ever released any stats as to what percentage of players complete the romances in each of their games? I have in every Bioware game I've ever played, I dunno if I should be ashamed of it.

I believe they did for Mass Effect

-NeoTB1-

UnluckyKate said:
If a gay character is hitting on me, I find it very amusing.

If I'm playing as a dude: fun, but I won't go for the romance.

If I'm playing as a chick: fun, and I'll go for the romance.

Pretty much.

Aeana

At least straight men have a cool character like Isabela. Women/gay men have to put up with Anders and Fenris. I love Gideon Emery, but even his voice couldn't make Fenris attractive. I wish Varric had been a love interest.

GhaleonQ

Was it the The Cruncheons podcast that commented on Bioware's creepy fans who just want a dating simulator out of each game?

Remember this guy the next time you make fun of Love Plus Plus, everyone.

Revenant

Good to see someone stick up for the heterosexual male gamer for once!

when are we gonna get games and characters targeted at us?!

Personally I feel most romance or sexuality in games is way overdone these days, I never feel its authentic or well done. It always comes off to me like two manikins air humping the few centimeters of space in between them.

As a straight male I wouldn't say it bothers me that there are gay love interests but I don't like the way its implemented or that those who are bothered by it have no choice but to be exposed to it. Perhaps along with gender and character traits sexual orientation could be another character customization option.

Acquiesc3

Banned
I lol'ed at this. tbh I'm straight and it doesn't bother me.. I found it pretty amusing when Zevran started hitting on me in DA:O.

shintoki said:
But the initial post sounded like some terrible, homophobic loser.

That's how I saw it as well.

GhaleonQ said:
Was it the The Cruncheons podcast that commented on Bioware's creepy fans who just want a dating simulator out of each game?

Remember this guy the next time you make fun of Love Plus Plus, everyone.
Yeah I was just about to mention it, those guys nailed it.

Aeana said:
At least straight men have a cool character like Isabela. Women/gay men have to put up with Anders and Fenris. I love Gideon Emery, but even his voice couldn't make Fenris attractive. I wish Varric had been a love interest.

Thought Varric was going to be bisexsuual, like all the characters in the party (apart form the brother/sister)
Or are there also other characters that are only straight?

I took the time to read each post and I am not surprised to find that my initial reaction stayed the same. I even took the time to write a nice post about how we should not be bashing him over his views, because it's America and we're cool with letting people say stupid stuff.

Then I tried to summarize his argument and I came up with this sentence:

Dude wanted a better selection of chicks to get busy with, and if you reskined/revoiced one of the dudes, that would have been cool.

That's where I lost it. The idea occurred to me that because it was a game, all of the resources could have started out as guys. Even if they were blocky pollygons voiced by testers, each of the characters might have been a walking sausage fest.

The question now comes to mind. How would he feel if he was told that the romance that he did pursue used to be a guy? We're talking some serious Jerry Springer going down. If he felt uncomfortable being hit on by a computer guy, how does he feel knowing the romance options were probably penned by a guy? Chances are the only female that was involved in the creation of the character could have been just the VA.

Aeana

subversus said:
He is bisexual. Or not?
He isn't a love interest for anyone. David Gaider apparently didn't want human/dwarf romance, so they made him "in love" with his crossbow instead. Although he and Isabela do have some suggestive party banter.

Xater

I am a straight male gamer and I was flirting with Anders. Why the hell not?

I also don't think the straight male gamer not catered to with this game. The whole notion is just ridiculous.

Aeana said:
He isn't a love interest for anyone. David Gaider apparently didn't want human/dwarf romance, so they made him "in love" with his crossbow instead. Although he and Isabela do have some suggestive party banter.

Isabella has suggestive banter with pretty much anything that walks.

To be honest, why not just give an option in character creation for sexuality?

I don't find it offensive, necessarily, but I find it kind of ridiculous. Heterosexuals are the vast majority. A player shouldn't walk into a brothel and find more male strippers than female strippers, nor should a player only be given the option to romantically dance with a person when choosing to interact (ala Fable 3).

It's just honestly disappointing. They try to make the game so PC that it comes off as unbelievable and offputting.

Suairyu

Banned
Shanadeus said:
It doesn't matter, it just feel very forced.
Forced as in including a gay romance option is a forced act in itself or forced because the gay romance characters are terrible?
Littlegator said:
To be honest, why not just give an option in character creation for sexuality?
You don't get to go through life with a "no homos hit on me" sign. Well, technically you could, but then every guy, straight or gay, would hit on you anyway. Nor do you get to decree your sexuality and make it so all those who don't align with yours simply don't exist.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Aeana said:

I had a flirty option with him.

Top Bottom