• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bisexual players banned from gay softball event

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

Freestyler said:
Exactly. I also don't think you can be 50/50 when it comes to homo/hetero - there's always a 51/49 scenario going on. People say they like chocolate just as much as vanilla but I'm willing to be they prefer chocolate (51%) to vanilla (49%).

Hope it doesn't offend anyone. I just don't believe in it. And FWIW, I was involved with a guy for seven years and he's now gone down the 'safe' route and is dating a girl. Guess I was the 49%.

Speaking as a gay man... this is ridiculous logic. It's as crazy as the idiots who think that bi people must by definition date both sexes, or that if they're with one person they have to find a person of the opposite sex as well to be satisfied, and that's ridiculous.

I really hate having to say this to someone who should absolutely know better, but just because I like guys with red hair, brown hair, black hair, and blonde hair doesn't mean I should be dating guys with all these different hair colors at once, even though I like all varieties of guys. Same is true for bisexuals. Sure some bi guys/girls can't commit, but that's true of gay guys/girls and straight guys/girls as well, and the genitalia they like isn't the reason either.

Gaborn said:
Speaking as a gay man... this is ridiculous logic. It's as crazy as the idiots who think that bi people must by definition date both sexes, or that if they're with one person they have to find a person of the opposite sex as well to be satisfied, and that's ridiculous.

I really hate having to say this to someone who should absolutely know better, but just because I like guys with red hair, brown hair, black hair, and blonde hair doesn't mean I should be dating guys with all these different hair colors at once, even though I like all varieties of guys. Same is true for bisexuals. Sure some bi guys/girls can't commit, but that's true of gay guys/girls and straight guys/girls as well, and the genitalia they like isn't the reason either.

Considering all of the negative stereotypes about gay men I'm surprised that any would believe, and spread, a negative stereotype about bisexuals. As a bi man I've seen and experienced it from both straight and gay folks and its really frustrating.

Agent Ghost

aka MAJIKdR46oN
Apparently sociologists also don't quite understand irony, either.

No she wasn't saying she makes fun of bi's, she seemed empathetic with them. She only mentioned it briefly as a tidbit.

Someone else asked lipstick or softball.

I only knew her as a professor but she was the dress pants and lipstick type. Nothing unusual really.

Replicant said:
Pretty much. Gay guys are afraid that if they ever fall for bi guy, one day they'll be left behind when said bi guys feel insecure and need to revert back to the straight persona. Due to the fact that heterosexuality is far more accepted, gay guys feel that when push comes to shove, bi guys will abandon them and choose the safer, more accepted path. Which is true in some cases and that's why there's always this stigma associated with bi guys.

There's also the fact of bisexual erasure. In essence, some gay men see the "bisexual" label as connoting immaturity - i.e., that a "bisexual" guy is just a gay man who isn't ready to admit to his family or friends (or himself) that he just isn't going to bring a nice girl home someday. This isn't without some basis in reality, but to paint all bisexuals with that brush is grossly unfair.

Lesbians, from my understanding, are more likely to be biphobic either for Replicant's reason, or due to distrust of LUGs or girls experimenting primarily to titillate males (which is another form of erasure). The latter doesn't really have a male equivalent, for broader cultural reasons.

CENOBITE

Bisexuals a minority? Think again.

ak-hhscale2_clip_image001.jpg

0- Exclusively heterosexual with no homosexual

1- Predominantly heterosexual, only incidentally homosexual (Bisexual)

2- Predominantly heterosexual, but more than incidentally homosexual (Bisexual)

3- Equally heterosexual and homosexual (Bisexual)

4- Predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual (Bisexual)

5- Predominantly homosexual, only incidentally heterosexual (Bisexual)

6- Exclusively homosexual

“Males do not represent two discrete populations, heterosexual and homosexual. The world is not to be divided into sheep and goats…The living world is a continuum in each and every one of its aspects." - Kinsey, Alfred C. et al. (1948/1998).

Father_Brain said:
There's also the fact of bisexual erasure. In essence, some gay men see the "bisexual" label as connoting immaturity - i.e., that a "bisexual" guy is just a gay man who isn't ready to admit to his family or friends (or himself) that he just isn't going to bring a nice girl home someday. This isn't without some basis in reality, but to paint all bisexuals with that brush is grossly unfair.

Lesbians, from my understanding, are more likely to be biphobic either for Replicant's reason, or due to distrust of LUGs or girls experimenting primarily to titillate males (which is another form of erasure). The latter doesn't really have a male equivalent, for broader cultural reasons.
Father_Brain said:
Father_Brain said:
There's also the fact of bisexual erasure.
Father_Brain said:
Father_Brain said:

Oh baby pleeeeeeeeeease, just give a little respect, to, meeeeeeeeee.

SmokyDave

Stuff like this makes me wonder if the majority will always treat the minority badly regardless of who is filling the roles of 'majority' and 'minority'. How depressing.

cntr

Banned
http://www.nclrights.org/site/PageServer?pagename=press_Apilado_v_NAGAA042010

(Seattle, WA, April 20, 2010) — Today, National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR) clients and the law firm of K&L Gates LLP filed a lawsuit in the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington challenging the discriminatory practices of the North American Gay Amateur Athletic Association (NAGAAA).

Ultimately, the predominantly-white committee voted that Charles, Russ, and Apilado, all men of color, were not gay. The committee voted multiple times on at least one player. The committee also declared that the other two players, both white—one of whom had given precisely the same answers as Russ—were gay.

Racism time!

Furret

Banned
SmokyDave said:
Stuff like this makes me wonder if the majority will always treat the minority badly regardless of who is filling the roles of 'majority' and 'minority'. How depressing.

Welcome to Earth.

Enosh

SmokyDave said:
I think this should be more than obvious to anyone by now :D

SmokyDave said:
This. Homosexuals saying bisexuality doesn't exist and is just confusion/disease/attention-whorish? That's like black Americans supporting the enslavement of Chinese immigrants. Or the people with their hands missing discriminating against those with no arms. Or...god damned the "gays discriminating bisexuals" is such a prime example, that every other example I can think of is less self-evident.

The irony, hypocrisy and ignorance is just too much. You'd think that people being faced with discrimination for the shittiest reasons ever would never do the exact same thing. But people never learn. At least Freestyler doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom