• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bish's Official GTA IV Thread of Comparisons and Ignoring the OP at One's Peril

Dot50Cal

Banned
I sent a lossless screen to Quaz so he can determine AA levels. The topic was locked at Beyond3d (no doubt due to idiots from here registering new accounts and shitting the place up). So hold tight, we should have an answer soon.

Artofwar420

Dot50Cal said:
This is not true, it puts out 720p.

That's what I said, OH, my bad I guess I'm generalizing thinking EVERYBODY has a 1080p TV, but if you do GTA IV will upscale to 1080p. I repeat, it is not true 1080p because the games' native resolution is 720p in all versions.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Artofwar420 said:
That's what I said, OH, my bad I guess I'm generalizing thinking EVERYBODY has a 1080p TV, but if you do GTA IV will upscale to 1080p. I repeat, it is not true 1080p because the games' native resolution is 720p in all versions.

Um..yeah? And the 360 scales to 1080p in the same way, so what is your point??

Dot50Cal

Banned
I dont think the time of day is perfect, but for what its worth:

PS3:
ps32.jpg

360:
3602.jpg

Edit: DP, sorry!

Yoboman

Good work, 50. The softness of the PS3 version definitely compliments the artstyle. Difference is far from noticeable though

Dot50Cal said:

This sums up the "softer" vs. "clinical" look Houser was talking about. The amount of spin that each side (Xbots v SDF) is putting into this just shows that both versions are phenomenal.

Dot50Cal

Banned
PuppetMaster said:
There are more pedestrians in the PS3 shot. 6 vs 3. Is this just a coincidence?
Please tell me that was a joke.

This is the case because the peds there were flattened on my 360 run through :D

CorwinB

Death Dealer said:
G70 couldn't but I always thought it was a direct x problem. If coded to the metal, I'd be surprised to learn RSX had the same limitation.

No it's not, as ATI hardware (and later NV hardware such as G80) can do FSAA + FP16 under the same DirectX API.

the lighting in those outdoor shots looks the same... i wonder if it's just the difference in 'softness' and colour palette that we've been seeing. any pictures that demonstrate the guessed fp10 vs fp16 differences?

great work on the comparissons shots though so far.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Hello all,

Bish, I just wanted to say that was an incredible ending for the other thread. I went to bed, woke up, and saw your post and almost spit out my coffee.

With that said, I'm glad it was closed and now we can move on to actually enjoying the goddamn game.

Kinan

CorwinB said:
No it's not, as ATI hardware (and later NV hardware such as G80) can do FSAA + FP16 under the same DirectX API.

Heh. He meant that G70+Directx combo cant do HDR+AA, but G70 without limitations of directx can, proved by many PS3 games (motorstorm and heavenly sword come to mind).
This fact that G80 can do that within directx does not contradict his statement in any way.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I can change my T.V settings to make it look like the PS3 version. I tune the colors and then i soften the image. Personally, i only soften it a little bit, because it hurts the eyes.

I'm just glad that three popping crap is nowhere to be seen :D

Kujo

Yoboman said:
Good work, 50. The softness of the PS3 version definitely compliments the artstyle.
Yeah, I sorta prefer the smoother/warmer look of the PS3 version. Both look good though, you probably couldn't even tell them apart from a normal TV distance.

Truant

Mojo said:
Yeah, I sorta prefer the smoother/warmer look of the PS3 version. Both look good though, you probably couldn't even tell them apart from a normal TV distance.

You can emulate that look by messing around with TV settings.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Truant said:
You can emulate that look by messing around with TV settings.

And the in-game settings too, "Saturation" is the little thing that does it for me, and frankly, the differences are so damn small that people are literally pointing out stuff that they wouldn't even perceive if it wasn't examined forensically while playing.

The bottom line is that GTA IV looks damn awesome, regardless of console bias, when I went to the bowling alley on my first date, I literally walked the entire way to catch a better of view of how awesome the game looked, the watercolour filter Rockstar used is phenomenal, things like Trees, distant objects etc look like they have been majestically brushed onto a canvas, and that is something both versions share, no amount of nit-picking over what version is the "definitive" one can take away from this.

Manager

Dot50Cal, can you try and get the X360 version to look as close as possible to the PS3 version by using the in-game settings?

Dot50Cal

Banned
Manager said:
Dot50Cal, do you have time to try and get the X360 version to look as close as possible to the PS3 version by using the in-game settings?

I'm not going to bother. You can adjust your tv settings if you'd like, and I'm sure you'd be able to emulate it well. This nonsense has gone on for enough as far as I'm concerned. Just have fun and play the game :p

CorwinB

Kinan said:
Heh. He meant that G70+Directx combo cant do HDR+AA, but G70 without limitations of directx can, proved by many PS3 games (motorstorm and heavenly sword come to mind).
This fact that G80 can do that within directx does not contradict his statement in any way.

The G70 (and RSX) limitation with regard to performing MSAA on FP targets is hardware-based : http://www.beyond3d.com/content/reviews/38/2
B3D review said:
The FSAA mechanism also stays the same as NV40 with a maximum of 4 multi-samples (2 per clock), and rotated grid sampling; multisampling still doesn't operate on floating point blending targets though.

Not sure about Motorstorm, but Heavenly Sword doesn't use FP16 for its HDR implementation (they use a different color space, IIRC). HDR and FP16 are two different things, you shouldn't mistake one for the other.

Manager

Dot50Cal said:
I'm not going to bother. You can adjust your tv settings if you'd like, and I'm sure you'd be able to emulate it well. This nonsense has gone on for enough as far as I'm concerned. Just have fun and play the game :p

Yeah ;) Well I got a PV4 capture card and would love to do it myself, but my review copy is a little bit late. Thought it was good for others to see that they actually are close.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Manager said:
Yeah ;) Well I got a PV4 capture card and would love to do it myself, but my review copy is a little bit late. Thought it was good for others to see that they actually are close.

Sorry, I didn't want to come off as an ass. Its just I've been comparing these the whole time and not even playing them, so to finally have a conclusion as to which version I prefer I just want to dive into the game and play it now :p

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Bish? May I just say "thank you" for using my shittily-done "BISHOFDOOM.gif." I messed up the way the face came in through the windows, and I didn't feel like fixing it properly.

Surfheart

So a friend and I just spent 2 hours eyeballing both versions on his 1080p Bravia. Both PS3 and 360 connected via HDMI with identical settings. We would play one for a bit then switch over and play the other.

Conclusions we came to:

Immediately obvious was the softer more aliased PS3 image.
The PS3 colours are much nicer I think than that of the 360, but that's a personal preference. My friend liked the 360 colours more.
The 360 had a higher framerate almost all the time, particularly while driving. This was the most obvious thing to us. While the bottom end on both systems felt pretty similair, the 360 consistantly had a smoother framerate.
Textures seem identical, but the 360 had more levels of Ansiotropic filtering.
Pop-in was present on both versions. Less on the PS3 but certainly not by a significant amount.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Surfheart said:
So a friend and I just spent 2 hours eyeballing both versions on his 1080p Bravia. Both PS3 and 360 connected via HDMI with identical settings. We would play one for a bit then switch over and play the other.

Conclusions we came to:

Immediately obvious was the softer more aliased PS3 image.
The PS3 colours are much nicer I think than that of the 360, but that's a personal preference. My friend liked the 360 colours more.
The 360 had a higher framerate almost all the time, particularly while driving. This was the most obvious thing to us. While the bottom end on both systems felt pretty similair, the 360 consistantly had a smoother framerate.
Textures seem identical, but the 360 had more levels of Ansiotropic filtering.

What about pop-in. I bought the PS3 version last night (midnight launch) and haven't had a chance to get on it.

I think that as a single player experience they both obviously have their advantages. I opted for PS3 because the hazy colour style really appealed to me in comparison videos. Hearing of less pop-in was nice too, though that was a very marginal issue - the PS3 version has a lot (judging by my 6+ hours of play so far), the 360 game has a bit more. Wow.

So yeah...I like the softer, smoother PS3 image. There's something organic about it that caught my eye, but both are incredible. If I'm still interested in the game come autumn I'll buy the 360 version second hand for the DLC and an online experience I'm sure will be slightly better

pswii60

Stand by for the worst quality comparison yet. A GAF exclusive, brought to you by pswii60:
gta360.jpg

gtaps3.jpg

Personally, in real life, I think the 360 version looks a tad sharper, especially when you move closer to the screen, but both feel a bit "low-res" compared to other games. The effect reminds me of Wreckless on Xbox 1. I've seen some pop-in in both versions of the game, but neither to any extreme, on both versions it's few and far between. The framerate feels slightly higher in the 360 version, especially when indoors.

Really, it comes down to what console all your mates own if you want to play online, or if your 360 is playing up, or if you prefer the quiet purr of the PS3's drive. Personally I always tend to lean towards 360 because of achievements and because all my mates own one, but it's such a close tie on this game, I can understand why multi-console owners are so baffled about which version to play. But let's be honest, either way you ain't going to go wrong.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dot50Cal said:

PS3:

360:

From those two screens it does look like PS3 ver. has higher precision HDR. Or something else, I don't know, but the lighting does look visibly less harsh. Not just warmer in color, but better spread out, which is usually a sign of higher precision HDR.

CorwinB said:
Not sure about Motorstorm, but Heavenly Sword doesn't use FP16 for its HDR implementation (they use a different color space, IIRC). HDR and FP16 are two different things, you shouldn't mistake one for the other.
HS is using different color space, but it's mostly just a workaround to give the same exact HDR precision as regular FP16, which rendering with 4xMSAA.

Marconelly said:
From those two screens it does look like PS3 ver. has higher precision HDR. Or something else, I don't know, but the lighting does look visibly less harsh. Not just warmer in color, but better spread out, which is usually a sign of higher precision HDR.

The lighting looks the same - the filtering however - looks different and may be what 'spreads' the light more gracefully to some. This is usually the case in PS3 360 games - the PS3 does *edit*different*end edit* filtering.

THat said - I have the 360 version and love it! :D

Marconelly said:
i think it's pretty hard to say given that everything looks 'warmer' in the PS3 version and given the softer look of the upscaling. they do both certainly have different looks... but i'd like to see split screen videos of the same places at the same time of day...

of course, i also know how incredibly difficult that is to do.

Mash

You guys are going stir crazy in here, these differences are just not discussion worthy, I think it's been established by now,

pr0cs

I was a little worried for the version that I had preordered (choice was made on historic multiplat games more than platform preference) but these shots and video really cleared things up for me. Seems like both versions look and perform nearly identical which is great.
Thanks for the work guys.

Mash said:
You guys are going stir crazy in here, these differences are just not discussion worthy, I think it's been established by now,
i can't get my copy until late tonight. this is helping scratch that itch... and we're stickied so it's not like we're going to move whether or not we post.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
commariodore64 said:
The lighting looks the same - the filtering however - looks different and may be what 'spreads' the light more gracefully to some. This is usually the case in PS3 360 games - the PS3 does better filtering.

THat said - I have the 360 version and love it! :D
I don't think the lighting looks the same. From my experience with various HDR demos, higher precision HDR gives this appearance of better, smoother spreading of lighting across the surfaces. It's even more visible in Dot50's video IMO on Niko's face when it moves from one side of the video to another.

Marconelly said:
I don't think the lighting looks the same. From my experience with various HDR demos, higher precision HDR gives this appearance of better, smoother spreading of lighting across the surfaces. It's even more visible in Dot50's video IMO on Niko's face when it moves from one side of the video to another.
I don't see it in either - I see a typical 360 contrast increase which may be what is hiding the subtlety - but as stated before - fp16 and AA don't match with PS3(ie can't be done effeciently). So the likelyhood of differing lighting models is questionable - and not evident in any shots or vids yet.

It looks like the typical contrast & brightness differences.

Taking the 360 version of the shot below into Photoshop and acclimating the gamma to a similar level of the PS3 output gives you what you see below... pretty much identical...
http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gtavs8.jpg

And if one wanted to get real nit picky they could take a gander at the man below the laundrymat sign and notice one version is lacking any shadowing...
it's a trap!

GameGamer

I think the game is looking really murky on both systems.

I hope it's looking better in motion on my set.

I'll know when I get my copy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I just don't know which version features a smoother framerate. Everybody has said something different. Some claim the PS3 version has the smoother framerate while others say the opposite. I suppose that would indicate that they are close enough in that regard that people really can't detect a real difference.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
From the new shots posted by Dot50Cal and pswii60 the 360 version is clearly sharper, I do like the color palatte and somthing about the shadows on the PS3 version but on my big screen 1080p TV I'll take the 360 version.

Doesn't really matter to me at this point my mind is made up because of my viewing cercumstances but any word on DTS for the PS3?

duk

Banned
geezus... those are the differences between the two versions? :lol

i'd say they are on par with each other based on those shots, will wait for comparison movie though.

tinfoilhatman said:
From the new shots posted by Dot50Cal and pswii60 the 360 version is clearly sharper, I do like the color palatte and somthing about the shadows on the PS3 version but on my big screen 1080p TV I'll take the 360 version.

Doesn'[t really matter to me at this point my mind i made up buy any word on DTS for the PS3?
negatory on dts

Pug

Dot50Cal said:
I sent a lossless screen to Quaz so he can determine AA levels. The topic was locked at Beyond3d (no doubt due to idiots from here registering new accounts and shitting the place up). So hold tight, we should have an answer soon.

The thread is back up over at B3D. Quaz is saying the PS3 version has no AA applied at all, well I think thats whats he's saying.

CoG

Pug said:
The thread is back up over at B3D. Quaz is saying the PS3 version has no AA applied at all, well I think thats whats he's saying.

They are saying it's actually 640p now. Can anyone confirm?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
commariodore64 said:
I don't see it in either - I see a typical 360 contrast increase which may be what is hiding the subtlety - but as stated before - fp16 and AA don't match with PS3(ie can't be done effeciently). So the likelyhood of differing lighting models is questionable - and not evident in any shots or vids yet.
I took these face shots of Nico's cousin just a few frames apart when he was passing the middle of the screen in one scene:

14kfwch.jpg

In motion the difference in the way their faces are lit is even more obvious IMO, but you can see even in this small screen how there's less harsh highlight spread on the face on the left. It's not just the contrast.

duk said:

i'd say they are on par with each other based on those shots, will wait for comparison movie though.
There's a movie made by Dot50 on Gamersyde.com

PhatSaqs

Banned
duk said:

Seriously. All the "significant difference/superior version" crap is starting to look like one big FUD campaign.

Top Bottom