• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitcoin prices hits new high of $5829, value doubled in 5 mos (Update: now over $6k)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
New high reached:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bitcoin-prices-all-time-high-goldman-sachs-morgan-stanley/

Bitcoin investors have profited handsomely by ignoring the advice of some of the financial world's most prominent figures, including JPMorgan Chase (JPM) CEO Jamie Dimon, who recently denounced it as a "fraud," and Warren Buffett, who likens it to a "mirage."

While that view may ultimately prove correct, with even buyers of the digital currency warning of a bubble, the value of Bitcoin continues to soar into the financial stratosphere. Bitcoin prices hit an all-time high of $5,829 on Friday and jumped nearly 500 percent since the start of the year..

Bitcoin's market capitalization as calculated by CoinMarketCap is more than $95 billion -- that tops the market value of Goldman Sachs (GS) and Morgan Stanley (MS), two of Wall Street's biggest players.

The jury remains out on how long -- or if -- the good times will last given the unpredictable nature of the market for digital money. One reason for the latest run-up in Bitcoin are rumors that China will reverse its recent decision to ban cryptocurrency exchanges. Fans of the currency also note that it is gaining more acceptance with consumers, with ATMs springing up in multiple states around the U.S.

But Kevin Werbach, an associate professor of legal studies and business ethics at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School of Business, sounds a note of caution, and contends that the price of Bitcoin is being fueled by "speculation and, quite likely, by manipulation through some of the exchanges."

"Speculative bubbles always go up until they pop, but no one can be sure when that will be," he said by email.
"There's no good reason why cryptocurrency prices have inflated so tremendously over the past year. That means they could also go down with no good reason."

In a note to clients today, UBS analysis expressed skepticism that cryptocurrencies will ever achieve mainstream acceptance. A "twentyfold increase in Bitcoin prices in just two years, and an absence of any fundamental economic backing, cryptocurrency prices are almost certainly a bubble," they wrote.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...anks-finally-went-nuts-over-cryptrocurrencies

Wall Street banks that weren't already on the bitcoin bandwagon appear to be piling in, or at least eyeing seats, after the cryptocurrency surged to all-time highs this week on the way to $6,000.

Analysts are working to keep up with demand from clients for information. UBS and Citigroup published extensive explainers on blockchain technology, while senior executives at JPMorgan Chase & Co. warmed to the cryptocurrency during the bank's third-quarter earnings call.

The digital currency has risen more than fivefold after trading at less than $1,000 as recently as December, breaking the $5,000 mark with its biggest weekly gain since June. Throughout its rise, the cryptocurrency shrugged off tighter regulations, feuding factions and warnings from the likes of JPMorgan's Jamie Dimon of fraud and an eventual price collapse.

ChYGMCz.png

There was a previous thread back in late May when the peak was $2200. For reference, the price of BTC back in May 2010 was 0.003 cents.

Not

Banned
1/5¢ per by December. Believe you me. Get out while you can.

I Am A Very Great and Powerful Economist

afroguy10

It makes me sick every time I look at this when I almost bought £100 worth of bitcoins like a half decade ago but jumped out at the last minute due to thinking I might need the money at some point that month (I didn't).

How many kWh does it take to mine a bitcoin on average on consumer graphics card?

Not asking because I want to, asking to know how price per Btc is tracking difficulty and electricity cost.

I wonder if that guy from the other day who made a thread asking if he should sell his bitcoin, actually sold it? I think it was $4k per then?

Nipo

Tulips had no value. Bitcoin brings an incredible technological innovation. Bitcoin is the conduit to that technology.

Not sure if serious... Blockchain technology is definitely a multi-billion dollar industry. Bitcoin is inherently worthless and not even backed by a major government like other fiat currency.

People declared tulip mania over dozens of times too and people said it wouldn't end. I think they peaked at about $400,000 each bulb in inflation adjusted value.

Afrodium

Banned
It makes me sick every time I look at this when I almost bought £100 worth of bitcoins like a half decade ago but jumped out at the last minute due to thinking I might need the money at some point that month (I didn't).

When I was in college I heard about Bitcoin and thought I'd grab $100 of them. They were like a few dollars at that point. In the end I decided that $100 was too much to throw away...

ChaosXVI

No matter how many times someone explains this to me, I will never understand how the hell this shit works. All I know is I had a chance to buy in heavily years ago and didn't do it and regret it so very much.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Call me when blockchain / tokenization tech is actually used for one of those more interesting projects and not just talked about in a white paper meant to fuel another ico

But yeah keep singing the same tune.

https://99bitcoins.com/obituary-stats/

January 14, 2015

”Bitcoin Plummets — And May Be Stuck In A Self-Fulfilling Downward Spiral" – Business Insider | $182.00"

I know everyone says it, but... this is around the time when I was thinking of buying in.

I comfort myself by reminding myself that I would have sold out long ago (at least by $1000, probably sooner), and my ex-wife would have gotten half of it in our divorce last year.
Yeah...

low-G

Call me when blockchain / tokenization tech is actually used for one of those more interesting projects and not just talked about in a white paper meant to fuel another ico

Can you think of a good reason to suffix data to a distributed network that cannot be done just as well with other tech?

Haines

Banned
January 14, 2015

“Bitcoin Plummets — And May Be Stuck In A Self-Fulfilling Downward Spiral” – Business Insider | $182.00"

I know everyone says it, but... this is around the time when I was thinking of buying in.
I comfort myself by reminding myself that I would have sold out long ago (at least by $1000, probably sooner), and my ex-wife would have gotten half of it in our divorce last year.

Yeah...

Yeah i wanted to invest in nintendo when they hit there low a while back but i always wuss out

If you had bought $100 worth of bitcoin at the price given a few posts above yours ($0.003/coin), I think that'd be worth over 1.6 billion now.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I have a friend who sold 120 btc when they were worth like 5 bucks each very early on. Mined them all too lol

I comfort myself by reminding myself that I would have sold out long ago (at least by $1000, probably sooner)
That's true for most people really. Very few people who bought in earlier or at much lower prices very likely would not have held on until now. So the whole "I wish I bought in at $100, now I would have millions" isn't quite true. Definitely some profit at some point yeah, but not 58x profit.

Also, these fluctuations make bitcoin's value as a currency basically worthless as it's impossible to price anything.

If you had bought $100 worth of bitcoin at the price given a few posts above yours ($0.003/coin), I think that'd be worth over 1.6 billion now.

Something like 425 years to mine 1 bitcoin on a desktop.

So mining on home gear is only for people not mining btc, but other risky new-entrant cryptos
or people who don't pay for power.

So the Radeon shortage is really only because of bleeding edge crypto not bitcoin.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So someone help me out here. If I had bought 100,000 Bitcoins in 2010, where would the money even come from to pay me if I decided to sell them now?

element

I need NEO to bounce back!

So someone help me out here. If I had bought 100,000 Bitcoins in 2010, where would the money even come from to pay me if I decided to sell them now?
There are countless marketplaces to sell them on. It is pretty much the same as trading stocks in that there are always orders in at certain sell and buy prices. Where it gets really difficult to liquidate cryptocoins in the US due to various regulations (or the lack there of). Most marketplaces limits $10,000 withdraw per week.

So even if you did have $1m or higher in your portfolio. Getting hard cash at that amount is somewhat challenging.

CrunchyB

The Moon Table from reddit. Projected prices, based on historical data. Please don't take it too seriously.

Btw, tulip mania comparisons are severely misguided, that lasted only 3 years and tulip bulbs are of course easily grown. Bitcoin is also not a Ponzi-scheme, because there is no single entity at the top of the pyramid which manipulates the system. The supply of Bitcoin is very limited and ownership of your stake in the system is guaranteed by distributing the universal ledger. In theory at least.

There is definitely a lot of speculation going on, but that goes for many other things in this world, like real estate, gold or stocks which don't pay dividend. You can argue all day about "intrinsic value", but if a bunch of fools will exchange fiat money for it, we have established a price.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Wouldn't be an all time high BTC thread without someone saying it's going to crash lol

Curious about this too. Is this process like making money on the Steam marketplace where you have to do workarounds to cash out for real money?

New crypto currencies are also easily grown.

The idea that a btc is unique like a precious work of art by Picasso falls to pieces when you consider that the world can generate as many identical or better bitcoin systems as it needs.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Bitcoin is one of those things I don't get. How do you prove you own one, for example? Is there some sort of centralized bank?
It's like folding at home, but for the transaction ledger.

Verifying a transaction is made exponentially more difficult over time. Coins are a reward for verifying transactions in the ledger using cryptography.

It's a waste of resources.

element

It's like folding at home, but for the transaction ledger.

Verifying a transaction is made exponentially more difficult over time. Coins are a reward for verifying transactions in the ledger using cryptography.

It's a waste of resources.
That is if you want to mine. honestly, it is a waste in resources because huge mining operations have started the last three or four years.

there are tons of marketplaces like Coinbase where buying Bitcoin or various cryptocurrencies is as easy as buying something on Amazon or buying stock on etrade.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
That is if you want to mine. honestly, it is a waste in resources because huge mining operations have started the last three or four years.

there are tons of marketplaces like Coinbase where buying Bitcoin or various cryptocurrencies is as easy as buying something on Amazon or buying stock on etrade.
And you are a fool to put your eggs in this basket because of its inherent deflation. It's a bubble just waiting to pop.

Top Bottom