• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitcoin prices hit new record high of over $2200 (10/13 Update: peaked at $5,829)

So I am using hashminer and an Exodus wallet. How do I back up my wallet? How do I convert btc to USD?

BTW using a 1070 and it seems to do great mining zcash (I think???), It's doing 420 sols/s roughly $5-6 in btc per day and hashminer auto converts what I mine to BTC.

I think I should grab another 1070 to push $10+ per day.

Have you factored in the cost of electricity? Where I live it's about 13 cents per kwh (USD). Since I don't have a dedicated mining rig (I'm mining shitcoins, by the way...) I can't really mine when using my PC (for browsing, yeah. for doing stuff in unity, nope)... So, as soon as I move I'll change my energy plan (15 cts during peak hours, 9 cts between 22h and 6h... instead of a fixed rate for the whole day)

I jumped into the Bitcoin/Alt Coin world at the weekend. Put $200 into BTC when it was at $2550. Put half of that into XBY which has been going up and down but I am going long with that.

The rest I put into BITB and MOON which have really paid off. Got into Moon at 16 Sats got out at 32 Sats and BITB got it at 183 Sats and out at 430 Sats. Got back into BITB at 254 though now and it has come to stop but think it will bounce up in a few days so I can get out of it.

All in all though I have more than doubled the $100 I started playing around with on the long shot shit coins and still have the other 100 in XBY, so not a bad couple of days.

It's been a lot of fun reading up on everything and then looking at all the trends and graphs and trying to predict which coin is going to shoot up next. Still lots to learn but off to a good start so far I think

keraj37

So I am using hashminer and an Exodus wallet. How do I back up my wallet? How do I convert btc to USD?

BTW using a 1070 and it seems to do great mining zcash (I think???), It's doing 420 sols/s roughly $5-6 in btc per day and hashminer auto converts what I mine to BTC.

You simply need to sell them to someone willing to give you USD for your BTC.
Back in time I was using cex.io for sellin/buying my BTC.

I had like 30BTC - if I kept them till now.... :(

I am doing the same thing you are with my 1070 and I am also using my CPU cores to mine. I was at $5 a day yesterday, but when I woke up this morning I was at $6 a day. It must have found some other more expensive coins to mine. I am considering grabbing another 1070. Even in 2 months if the mining isn't as profitable with these, I can get most of my money back on the 1070 resale.

The way my brother and I set it up is that the hashminer just grabs the coins that are profitable at that moment so then it just hashes away on those and then just converts it to BTC.

TradingView -> interactive chart:
add 50MA, 200MA. TimeSpan=5days.
200MA crosses over 50MA -> sell
50MA crosses over 200MA -> buy.

add 20MA, 50MA
20MA crosses unser50MA -> drop, care, don't panic

www dot tradingview.com slash chart slash Qwa3MpWr
www dot tradingview.com slash chart slash Qwa3MpWr/
Woh, mind's f* blown. So you don't worry when 20MA drops below 50 MA unless 50 MA drops below 200MA. I understand now, thanks.
Definitely going to use moving averages in the future to identify trends.

question mark dot dot dot
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/movingaverage.asp

ZOONAMI

Have you factored in the cost of electricity? Where I live it's about 13 cents per kwh (USD). Since I don't have a dedicated mining rig (I'm mining shitcoins, by the way...) I can't really mine when using my PC (for browsing, yeah. for doing stuff in unity, nope)... So, as soon as I move I'll change my energy plan (15 cts during peak hours, 9 cts between 22h and 6h... instead of a fixed rate for the whole day)

Yes event at 20 cts per kwh hour its profitable.

https://www.cryptocompare.com/minin...nit=MH/s&PowerConsumption=200&CostPerkWh=0.20

ZOONAMI

I am doing the same thing you are with my 1070 and I am also using my CPU cores to mine. I was at $5 a day yesterday, but when I woke up this morning I was at $6 a day. It must have found some other more expensive coins to mine. I am considering grabbing another 1070. Even in 2 months if the mining isn't as profitable with these, I can get most of my money back on the 1070 resale.

The way my brother and I set it up is that the hashminer just grabs the coins that are profitable at that moment so then it just hashes away on those and then just converts it to BTC.

It probably isn't worth the energy cost honestly to run at CPU at 85 -100 w for 50 cents a day imo.

M°°nblade;239646909 said:
Woh, mind's f* blown. So you don't worry when 20MA drops below 50 MA unless 50 MA drops below 200MA. I understand now, thanks.
Definitely going to use moving averages in the future to identify trends.
Typically. If you are not doing low-latency trades for compound profit, move to a wider time span to decide whether to hold or short.

Right now (2017-06-08 18:00)
- Time span = 5 days : 50MA crossed under 200MA @ 16:00-> should have already sold/do not buy (notice the panic at 12:15 -> should have not sold then)
- Time span = 30 days : 50MA tangent to 200MA -> ??
- Time span = 90 days: 50MA moving over 200MA -> hold

There are other patterns and trends that give you additional/contradictory/better/less reliable info; news, inherent value, and events override technical analysis.

edit: Also, using smaller time spans give you more nuanced info for low latency trading, but unless you have access to very small transactions fee and are using a reliable bot, you are better off not doing low latency trading
- Time span = 1 day : 50MA crossed under 200MA @ 12:00-> should have already sold/do not buy (notice the panic at 12:15 -> should have not sold then)

*Use chrome for tradingView

ZOONAMI

Typically. If you are not doing low-latency trades for compound profit, move to a wider time span to decide whether to hold or short.

- Time span = 5 days : 50MA crossed under 200MA @ 16:00-> should have already sold/do not buy (notice the panic at 12:15 -> should have not sold then)

There are other patterns and trends that give you additional/contradictory/better/less reliable info; news, inherent value, and events override technical analysis.

edit: Also, using smaller time spans give you more nuanced info for low latency trading, but unless you have access to very small transactions fee and are using a reliable bot, you are better off not doing low latency trading
- Time span = 1 day : 50MA crossed under 200MA @ 12:00-> should have already sold/do not buy (notice the panic at 12:15 -> should have not sold then)

What platform are you guys using to look at moving averages and day trade? Looking at getting into it. And are there automated trading programs? How are you utilizing a bot?

Dhx

So I've lost my mind. Spent the last week cramming and now building a 7x 1070 rig for ZCash(ZEC) mining primarily. For the last 10 years I've told myself "It's too late," and while it may be true this time, I'm not risking the continued regrets.

What platform are you guys using to look at moving averages and day trade? Looking at getting into it. And are there automated trading programs? How are you utilizing a bot?
I use the interactive charts (not the normal ones) on tradingview.com . Don't know of a bot that would automate the trading decisions I make, as it needs pattern recognition and some statistical regression to understand what a normal human can discern by looking at the chcarts [I am looking into writing one in the next couple of months, might share it here when it is done].

Goon

What's going to happen to altcoins when bitcoin forks on August 1St? Is there going to people selling off their bitcoin and putting it into altcoins to ride the storm?

What's going to happen to altcoins when bitcoin forks on August 1St? Is there going to people selling off their bitcoin and putting it into altcoins to ride the storm?

No one has a clue.

People could abandon crypto altogether if it goes badly. People go run from Bitcoin to Ethereum. There are some people who suggest Litecoin might benefit the most. Or it goes smoothly and nothing happens.

Wait what will happen in august? Can somebody explain to me?
I have a rudimentary understanding of the situation (understanding what's going on more requires understanding the technical stuff behind how a cryptocurrency network works, which I don't); but basically, think of a fork as a fork in the road, there will be two paths that the technical development of bitcoin can take. In case a fork happens, there will be two type of bitcoins, a bitcoin classic which will use the old specification and a new one which will be based on the new specification.

Eth also had a fork previously, and now we have both Eth and Eth classic; but most of the Eth community supported the transition to the new specification and thus it was rather smooth and some people don't even know an Eth classic still exists and is traded.

However, with bitcoin, the community seems somewhat divided, so if a fork happens you need to decide whether you want to have classic bitcoins or the new bitcoins, since it won't be too clear which direction the community will move toward. Some might suggest to diversify your assets between the classic and new bitcoin, but no one can really predict what will happen. Some like me, are just betting on Eth (and some other alt coin), as they might possibly be less affected by the fork. That is if the [hard] fork happens anyway.

No one has a clue.

People could abandon crypto altogether if it goes badly. People go run from Bitcoin to Ethereum. There are some people who suggest Litecoin might benefit the most. Or it goes smoothly and nothing happens.
I expect people to flock to ETH or USD untill august the 1th to limit the risks. I wouldn't be surprised it BTC drops as much as $500 by end july.
If there's an agreement, all uncertainty surrounding BTC's future will vanish and it will climb again.
If there's a chain-split and a huge drop greater than 50%, it might be interesting to buy both at dumping prices regardless of which horse will win the race.

In some way, this situation is the reverse of the ETF approval in March.

Indeed, low latency trading will cost me too much on the fees. And I have no intention to micromanage 5 different cryptocurrencies.I don't intend to check the market more than once a day to hold or short.

kotodama

BTC back over $2900 usd. Japan slightly under. There goes my use of that as a leading indicator. Hopefully consolidation around this point and then an attempt at over $3000 next week. Trend looks positive. All the dips seem to be eaten. We're back to around 4 days ago. Up over $1000+ dollars from last month, but I don't think this is bubble territory yet.

Chumley

Banned
Holy shit at etherium prices now. Fuck.

Why didn't I invest at $10 SMFH

A year from now people are going to say "Why didn't I invest at $300"

Invest now or when the impending correction happens and keep putting in money when you can. I'm putting in around $100 off my paycheck into BTC and ETH every month.

A year from now people are going to say "Why didn't I invest at $300"

Invest now or when the impending correction happens and keep putting in money when you can. I'm putting in around $100 off my paycheck into BTC and ETH every month.
A day from now people will be saying why they didn't invest in Eth. It is gonna go up for the time being.

The challenge with investment in cryptocurrencies is that since there is little fundamental analysis that can be applied to it, people panic at the sight of the slightest correction and withdraw their assets. We had two major corrections since last night, and despite the fact that I have been preaching the use of technical analysis to avoid losing money because of panics, I lost 5% of my assets because I panicked at the 1st correction.

5% may not seem like a whole lot, but even if I lose only 5% each month, after 1 year I'll be only at 54% of my original assets, and even if Eth goes up by 100%, I'll barely have made any money. That is why it is best to just invest and let it go if you have a weak heart [I know I do, so I just stopped checking the prices last night and trusted my analysis that the price will go and lo and behold, it did go up even after yet another major correction]

Chumley

Banned
A day from now people will be saying why they didn't invest in Eth. It is gonna go up for the time being.

The challenge with investment in cryptocurrencies is that since there is little fundamental analysis that can be applied to it, people panic at the sight of the slightest correction and withdraw their assets. We had two major corrections since last night, and despite the fact that I have been preaching the use of technical analysis to avoid losing money because of panics, I lost 5% of my assets because I panicked at the 1st correction.

HoldFast.jpg

Trying to get into this and I can't seem to find how to add 50MA and 200MA. I see the time span along the bottom like 1d 5d 1m etc, but I can't find the MA indicators. On the top under Indicators I can see Displaced EMA and MA Exp Ribbon, are those the same thing?

Trying to get into this and I can't seem to find how to add 50MA and 200MA. I see the time span along the bottom like 1d 5d 1m etc, but I can't find the MA indicators. On the top under Indicators I can see Displaced EMA and MA Exp Ribbon, are those the same thing?
Yeah, I had to look for it again lol You need to click on the label 'Indicators', not the arrow next to it. You can add up to 3 indicators with a free account.

Siacoin or Digibyte?
Short your Digibytes; for sure don't buy now. Siacoin -> Neutral.

Actually, I checked some of the other alt-coins: dash, litecoin, ripple, zcash, etc. I'd short all of them for now (dash was the only one relatively stable, but I am not sure if it is profitable right now)

kotodama

284 BTC wall at GDAX to 3K.

Not a big wall in BTC, but a big wall in USD terms (juist).

Edit: Hopefully consolidating around $2700 before the next leg up.

DieH@rd

Banned
God damn, the GPU prices in my region are OFF THE CHARTS.

All [and I mean ALL!] radeons that are good for mining are gone from the stores in both my country [Serbia] and the most common import vector country [Hungary]. Prices of second-hand GPUs are soaring, and because nobody can buy radeons and lots of fresh sellers trying to get a new GPU, even Nvidia prices are going up. Next resupply of radeons is scheduled to come in few weeks, and until then, I expect the miners will become even more desperate.

My friend yesterday sold RX470 for 340€, and today more friends joined up - 390X for 400€ and freaking basic 220€ RX480 was sold for 440€. I put my RX 470 gaming X [4GB] up, and it too went within 2 hours for 380€.

I'll be stuck on my old Radeon 4850 for few weeks, and I hope that by the time Vega arrives the pricing will normalize.

Top Bottom