• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bizarre Creations say goodbye 1994-2011

Fox318

Lyphen said:
Perfect example of what's wrong with publishing games. Studios owning creative rights to everything sucks ass, and Microsoft letting Bizarre go without PGR was just a jerk move. Such a shame, my girlfriend and I love Blur.
And let Activision take that franchise away from Microsoft, fat chance. Remember Bizarre was independent, they sold out.

fernoca

Keikoku said:
PGR4 bombed because they sent it to death. This is what started it all.
That's what I said, but then again if that was the case you should include Bizarre themselves on that blame. Since they were the ones that accepted Activision's offer when they could've accepted just a publishing deal. And it was in 2007, a time when Activision was already milking Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk and Call of Duty.

Yet...
Our goal at Bizarre Creations has always been to do all we can to nurture our creative and passionate teams, who excel at and enjoy what they do. Activision’s independent studio model will continue giving us creative freedom to build exciting new brands.

Their financial support and marketing prowess will also enable us to build upon the commercial success that we currently enjoy, and take the company – and our games – to an even higher level.

The irony in that whole Eutechnyx thing is that their next game (Nascar 2011) will be published by Activision.

trancekr

We will miss you

1492797952_e88d73c133_z.jpg

Fox318 said:
And let Activision take that franchise away from Microsoft, fat chance. Remember Bizarre was independent, they sold out.

The death of Bizarre must be blamed on 4 groups: Microsoft, Activision, Bizarre's upper management and.... us.

EDIT: I re-read my nonsense and deleted it. Hope no one saw.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Or we could blame it on no-one, since doing so is ill-informed at best and poisonous at worst, and hit online with your Bizarre game of choice tonight (unless it's the Club :( ).

We were lucky to have them, and their games will endure.

Keikoku

Banned
Dead Man Typing said:
The death of Bizarre must be blamed on 4 groups: Microsoft, Activision, Bizarre's upper management and.... us.

EDIT: I re-read my nonsense and deleted it. Hope no one saw.

I saw it and it was a great post. Couldn't agree more. You should put it back.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
No love for Fur Fighters? I don't know if it still holds up, but I remember having a lot of fun with it on the Dreamcast way back when.

I still play PGR4 every week with my friend...Thank you, Bizarre, for many great funtimes! I wish all the team members the very best in their new endeavors.

goldenpp72

I don't see why people blame MS here, I don't think MS wouldn't have funded the production of pgr5, it was bizarre that got all pissy and wanted to leave, and this is what happened, every title they released after pgr3 sold under expectations or outright bombed.

They should have stuck around with MS instead of selling to activision of all companies, but I hope the team rebounds elsewhere as they did good work :(

fernoca

Also, while working on PGR4 for Microsoft; they were working on Boom Boom Rocket (published by EA), helping Kuju on Geometry Wars Galaxies (published by Sierra) and working on The Club (published by Sega); so is not like they were completely tied or dependent of Microsoft.

Unlike many developers, they managed to get their games published quite fast and by well known/big publishers too. So it seems they had good relationships with other publishers.

Then again, we don't know all sides of the story. They probably thought they were getting a better deal by going exclusive to Activsion, when they could've just extended the publishing deals or expand them if anything.

diffusionx

Gold Member
goldenpp72 said:
They should have stuck around with MS instead of selling to activision of all companies, but I hope the team rebounds elsewhere as they did good work :(

Maybe Bizarre just got tired of being a PGR factory, like Bungie and Halo. PGR4 was pretty expansive anyway. It added so much to the franchise (some of it good some of it not so good, though I liked the bikes) and continued to de-emphasize and simplify Kudos. I loved the game but still felt like they sort of "completed" the franchise and there was little else for them to do without changing the entire thing entirely.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
diffusionx said:
Maybe Bizarre just got tired of being a PGR factory, like Bungie and Halo.
See:
fernoca said:
Also, while working on PGR4 for Microsoft; they were working on Boom Boom Rocket (published by EA), helping Kuju on Geometry Wars Galaxies (published by Sierra) and working on The Club (published by Sega); so is not like they were completely tied or dependent of Microsoft.

soultron

Banned
Thanks for all of your hard work, Bizarre. Geometry Wars was the first next-gen title I played. I remember working at an EB, and playing GW on the demo kiosk for the first time... instant system seller for me.

I always remember thinking that, of the Bizarre games I played, they were tight, focused, and had a really solid layer of polish to them. Thank you for that.

I hope you all find homes at other developers. They'd be lucky to have your talents!

Also, Moonlight Sonata almost made me tear up. :c

And kudos (geddit?) for doing The Club. I loved that game.

LQX

Grass if not always greener...that said I would not feel too bad for them. With that much talent it doubt many of them will be out of work long and a new studio will pop up shortly. At least I hope.

Luth1en

I first fell in love with Geometry Wars, then PGR4 came and rocked my world. I played Blur yesterday for the first time and loved it as well.

Bizarre, farewell. You're a great studio and I'm sure that you will all find new jobs soon. Good luck with everything.

Phloxy

PGR2 had the greatest Xbox Live play of any racer. To this day, it was so incredible and smooth and fun. R.I.P Bizarre.

I've been playing the hell out of Blur lately. It's hard for me to understand how I could be living in a world where a piece of hackwork like Mario Kart Wii has sold a bajillion copies and Bizarre is shutting down.

I even enjoyed The Club.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
CaptainAhab said:
I've been playing the hell out of Blur lately. It's hard for me to understand how I could be living in a world where piece of hackwork like Mario Kart Wii has sold a bajillion copies and Bizarre is shutting down.
I really like both games.. but one of them has a very clear and a VERY wide market range while the other one, nah so much.

Len Dontree

How is the PS2 version of Fur Fighters, anyway? I've been wanting to play it again for a while now, and I have an older BC-enabled PS3. I know it's cel-shaded for one thing, but was it a decent port? Is the PC version a better option (would I have issues in 64-bit Win7, for instance)?

skyfinch

It's going to be difficult to see the next gen Xbox release without a Bizarre game.

Never played Blur. Looked too over the top for me. The PGR series was a perfect balance. Still come of the best looking, most accurate cites ever recreated. Just wish PGR4 would make it onto games on demand.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
No :(
Sob, sob.
Metropolis Street Racer defined my Dreamcast experience, Geometry Wars started my love for DD platforms.
Good luck guys, and fuck this industry seriously.

makkuwata

Len Dontree said:
How is the PS2 version of Fur Fighters, anyway? I've been wanting to play it again for a while now, and I have an older BC-enabled PS3. I know it's cel-shaded for one thing, but was it a decent port? Is the PC version a better option (would I have issues in 64-bit Win7, for instance)?
It's clear a lot of work went into the PS2 conversion - graphics overhaul/voice acting/additional level (or two?). It's a great port.

But I stubbornly prefer the Dreamcast version. I would put it down to nostalgia, but there was only a year or 2 between releases and I bought both at launch.

Either way...that game is in my top 10 from the last decade. No exaggeration.

ElNarez

Banned
plainr_ said:
IMO, Polyphony Digital desperately needs more employees. They should definitely get some of the guys from Bizarre. Maybe establish a studio for them as PD UK. They can bring all the features we'd expect from other modern racers into the GT series and they can handle all PR media. Do we have to decipher every tweet and what little info we get from Kaz again for GT6? Sit me out for that.

GTWHO?

Len Dontree

makkuwata said:
It's clear a lot of work went into the PS2 conversion - graphics overhaul/voice acting/additional level (or two?). It's a great port.

But I stubbornly prefer the Dreamcast version. I would put it down to nostalgia, but there was only a year or 2 between releases and I bought both at launch.

Either way...that game is in my top 10 from the last decade. No exaggeration.

Thanks, in that case I'll pick it up. I do want to re-buy a Dreamcast at some point, but no telling when that will be. :)

cjelly said:
I am tempted to post all my PGR4 shots as a last hurrah, but this one will do for now.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.flynn/PGR4/ae76c6e3-a528-478d-b0b8-7f03284a8dbb.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Is there still a way to get your PGR4 shot and stuff from the site?

rowanimox

Neo Member
it broke my heart to hear what happened to bizaare. i will always remember them for pgr and geometry wars. i didnt even think that i would like geometry wars when first i saw it, but i fell in love with it just by playing the 1st stage. i'll miss their games...

Top Bottom