• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bizarre redesigns of game characters.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
IIRC did they redesign the redesign after the initial reveal and made some tweaks like more muscular etc.
Apparently the trailer was supposed to be a flashback of new Dante's past. Pretty terrible way to reveal a game.

Grit

Neo Member
Classic Wario.. YES
90916-Virtual_Boy_Wario_Land_(Japan,_USA)-1.jpg

Warioware Wario.. Why?
latest

The Sabrina you posted is from the FRLG: The remakes of the first gen games. The real OG Sabrina looks like this.

On top of that, her in-game sprite depicted her with a whip.

Spr_RG_Sabrina.png

Her sprite original outfit was probably based on his early profile pic as well. Notice the green collar? Her outfit probably wasn't red until after some revisions back when the series was at its super early stages.

Sugimorisabrinaoriginal.png

Man you can tell that Ken Sugimori was ripping off Dragon Ball really hard back then. Sabrina looked like a DBZ villain.

Sorry bout that, but you get my drift on what I meant, FRLG stayed similar to the OG ones and bettered it imo.

Edit: gah that edit, I though I was crazy remembering her in green!

isabela.jpg

Isabela from Dragon Age: Origins to Dragon Age 2. I prefer the DA2 style more even though it is a little oversexualized, but that makes sense with her character and personality. The redesign just looks far more unique and memorable, and not just another generic NPC from DA:O. Honestly I'm not really a fan of the majority of the character designs in DA:O. The sequel gets bashed a lot, deservedly so, but at least it had a big improvement in character design.

I haven't played the DA games but from what I can understand, in the first game most NPCs were built the same create-a-character template. As a result, a lot of characters looked startlingly different if they reappeared in the sequel.

KHlover

Banned
nwHxBzo.jpg

o3r7Ve1.jpg

Always hated the Fusion design.

Ready to hate it even more?
pwr_front.jpg

Fusion Suit, Metroid Prime version

Notice how they didn't even remodel the arm cannon, making Samus look hilariously out of proportion. What the hell were they thinking? Samus looks like she's anorexic or something o_O

Crocodile

NnaeQPW.jpg

Oh dear god...I did not know this was a thing until now. Poor Blue Mary :(

I've seen this image bandied about enough times but was that actually her official design in a game? I've never seen screenshots with this character design. There's a difference between an alternate costume or the fanart of an artist who might actually be involved in a game and the actual character design used in a game.

EDIT: Derp, I guess my question was answered earlier in the thread LOL

isabela.jpg

Isabela from Dragon Age: Origins to Dragon Age 2. I prefer the DA2 style more even though it is a little oversexualized, but that makes sense with her character and personality. The redesign just looks far more unique and memorable, and not just another generic NPC from DA:O. Honestly I'm not really a fan of the majority of the character designs in DA:O. The sequel gets bashed a lot, deservedly so, but at least it had a big improvement in character design.

Wait what? Isabella was in DA:O? I need to replay it now.

Grit

Neo Member
I don't see anything wrong with the new Wario design. It's the same character with different clothes.

They gave him a biker look. It looks bad, Mario and Luigi have stayed the same and look better for it. Wario on the other hand... This is why I really appreciate his alt costume in smash and at least he had his original look in Wario Land shake it.

Sorry bout that, but you get my drift on what I meant, FRLG stayed similar to the OG ones and bettered it imo.

Edit: gah that edit, I though I was crazy remembering her in green!

Yeah. I have a theory that she wasnt originally planned to be a psychic trainer until halfway into development of the games. It could explain why her OG sprite depicts her with a whip. Why would a telepath need a whip for? By the time they changed it, they already established that green outfit and official art for her.

Athena's design actually changes in basically every game. It's a tradition.

None of her design changes was that drastic though. When SNK became SNK-Playmore they just started exaggerating the "concepts" of the characters like making Athena more moe/loli and putting Ralf and Clark on steroids.

Crocodile

While there are certainly some examples where a consensus can be reached, a lot of this thread does as much to highlight personal tastes than anything else. Some of the examples I'd consider lateral moves or actual upgrades while I'm sure others feel differently.

I don't know if it counts but... I would say Dragon's Crown. Look :

Left : Unreleased dreamcast version
Right : PS3/Vita version

1435429879-dd998.jpg

This is basically a strict upgrade

Birdie.

From this:

latest

BirdieSFA3.jpg

To this:

New Birdie looks amazing though, especially in-game.

I was never a Birdie fan but turning him into a gross slob (or at least more of one) in SFV certainly strikes me as a downgrade.

None of her previous redesigns made her look like a cartoonishly porportioned bug-eyed schoolgirl.

Not her best look, certainly, but the point is more that there were gradual transitions between those designs, it wasn't a straight jump from one to the other. The "schoolgirl" thing and purple hair had both become part of her design gradually.

None of her previous redesigns made her look like a cartoonishly porportioned bug-eyed schoolgirl.

Athena and Kensou's design is a callback to a really old SNK game that they were from (though Athena actually first appeared in Athena on the NES and the KOF version is her reincarnation. Her original goddess design is a boss in SVC Chaos).

Psycho_Soldier.png

Magical Hoppers (Japanese Pandemonium):

MagicalHoppers-SATcover.jpg

This is now my favorite boxart for a video game ever forever ever.

Athena and Kensou's design is a callback to a really old SNK game that they were from (though Athena actually first appeared in Athena on the NES and the KOF version is her reincarnation. Her original goddess design is a boss in SVC Chaos).

Psycho_Soldier.png

I'm aware of Athena's Physcho Soldier history. I'm just saying its not a good look for modern KOF. Especially since it clashes with everyone else in that game.

Adaren

i'll say cortana from the halo series, the way the characters got sexualised every game is just ridiculous, her boobs got bigger every game

iQYcGhyl.jpg

I really disliked her hair change from Halo 1 -> Halo 2. Granted I was, like, 12 at the time, but Cotana from Halo 1 was my favorite character. Her Halo 2 hair never looked right on her.

Wow, people get me depressed that they don't post the original original designs along with the redesigns.

Pretty mild example OP.

Alucard.
piI1hPA.jpg

Alucard in Castlevania Judgement
MTKbiX5.jpg

You could probably post the entire cast of characters of that game in here.

Original Alucard(CV3)
1760798-alucard_jpmanual.png

Birdie.

From this:

latest

BirdieSFA3.jpg

To this:

New Birdie looks amazing though, especially in-game.

Original Birdie

So I went digging for more pics from the Twilight Zone that spawned Goblin Palom and Porom

Behold, Merchant Rydia and Fabulous-Bare-Thighs-and-Ass Kain

Dm64qOql.jpg

tjGzynnl.jpg

Strange as it seems, I kinda get a kick out of seeing FFIV's world interpreted as an 80s fantasy Conan-styled world.

I fucking loved the SNES version of that game, but the moment I laid eyes on the DS remake I was like NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE at those character designs.

I love Tetsuya Nomura's art, but there was a point, significantly in JPRGs where every artist started to adopt the "contemporary chic" into fantasy worlds, as well as pointless belts. All I know, before the Nomurafication of character designs, you didn't have characters in medieval fantasy worlds with tribal tattoos, regular-looking jackets and hoodies. I mean, everybody from the Lufia II DS remake could be used to show the shift in style:

I mean look at this:
latest

Urgh. Another excellent example is what they did to Adol:
This

to this

He basically went from a "red-headed fantasy JRPG hero of a medieval fantasy land" to Tidus(red-headed Tidus). Now don't get me wrong, bringing in contemporary styles into a non-contemporary setting CAN work, but doing it MOST of the time simply "because", urgh. And look at all those fuckin' belts! It's not even designed by Nomura. Hell, even Nomura knows when to hold back.

VariantX

So I went digging for more pics from the Twilight Zone that spawned Goblin Palom and Porom

Behold, Merchant Rydia and Fabulous-Bare-Thighs-and-Ass Kain

Dm64qOql.jpg

tjGzynnl.jpg

I feel like this still looks good, its just not FF though. It looks pretty familliar though, kind of reminds me of heavy metal a little bit.

isabela.jpg

Well, I really detest DA2 on so many levels but Isabela's redesign is fine. She was a really minor NPC in Origins who had a generic character model, so it made sense to give her a more unique look when she became a full on companion in DA2.

That said, I think the Origins companions and the characters that clearly had some more time spent on their models looked fine in Origins. Whereas most of those characters that made the jump from DAO to DA2 (Alistair, Leliana, or Zevran) looked awful.

Origins characters that showed up again in Inquisition were kind of a mixed bag. Most of them looked fine but most of them didn't really retain too much of the facial features and characteristics from their Origins models beyond superficial similarities. Character modeling in general could be a lot better from BioWare.

PSqueak

Banned
lmfao okay

we must have wildly different definitions for the word 'equally'

Sorceress still has huge boobs (in relation to her body) that are exposed, she has a really short skirt that is show casing her legs prominently, both details are meant to be titilating.

The warrior girl IS BARE FROM MID DRIFT TO KNEES except for some bizarre vine thing that barely covers her vagina, making her armor fucking nonsensical and useless, at least amazon is supposed to have shit defense from her lack of armor.

And it's super weird to sexualize little girls like this, at least the new ones are also designed sexualized but mature.

Why would they do this??

Fun fact: All non KoF original characters for that game were redesigned to match their looks from their original games of origin, hence Pyshco Soldiers Athena and Kensou.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Speaking of Ratchet.

latest

What's up with this? I never played the Ratchet and Clank games but this particualr game looked like a cheap attempt at making a more dark and edgy entry for the series. Maybe someone who is more knowledgeable about the series can explain how the main character grew in height so drastically. Where is his robot buddy too?

The game was actually pretty good, and the story wasn't edgy or anything. I think Clank got squirreled away so that they could make a game that was more shooting focused, rather than platforming focused. It also allowed for local co-op through the story without the second player needing a clank of their own to match Ratchet's abilities. If I recall the default skin for the second player actually was a large clank-looking robot.

Sciortino

Huge fan of KH but I don't like what they did to Sora imo..

Before (KH3 initial reveal in 2013):
228px-Sora.png

E3 2015 (new outfit and hair)
Not saying he looks terrible but that hair change is bothering me so much.

PSqueak

Banned

Aside for the new updated, less busy outfit i see absolutely no difference beyond the technically better resolution model.

J-Tier

Before (KH3 initial reveal in 2013):
228px-Sora.png

E3 2015 (new outfit and hair)

I don't really see a problem with the hair...

Top Bottom