• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bizarre redesigns of game characters.

In Halo 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Cortana in Halo 2 Remastered.

They made her head extremely large. It's weird if you switch back and forth between the old and new graphics since her head gets 50 percent bigger.

I see an improvement in her design maybe people realized she was "naked" after all this time.

The sad thing in Halo 2 remaster cortana is now wearing a bodysuit instead of being "naked"

Xiraiya

Another one really bad IMO
Bastila in KOTOR
Bastila_battle_ready.jpg

Bastila in SWTOR
screen10.jpg

Uh I only played the beta of SWTOR, but I believe she's a descendant of the KOTOR Bastila, not the exact same woman.

Ominym

Banned
LKyn1Hf.png

Why, I dislike everything about 343's are direction.

Oddly enough the Master Chief re-design is the only part of 343i's art direction I don't dislike. Cortana got weirdly sexualized, every Covenant race got re-made to be a monster/dinosaur. They took a lot of legitimately interesting and iconic designs and ruined them. Perhaps most telling is how the rocket launcher changed. It also doesn't help that artistically Reach is debatably the peak for Halo art design.

Elite_Comparisons.jpg

Halo 4/5:
Storm_Elite_Officer.png

Xiraiya

YjA2VJ.png

Squall's 90's look wasn't without issues but it was still way better than his look in Dissidia, but I guess that's because 90's Squall looks like he's in his mid 20's when he's suppose to be 17.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I see an improvement in her design maybe people realized she was "naked" after all this time.

The sad thing in Halo 2 remaster cortana is now wearing a bodysuit instead of being "naked"

Yeah, I really like her look in Halo 3 and 4. I only have an issue with how she looks like in remastered.

jelly

Some of Halo is like that awful Godzilla movie in the 90s and Doom 3 design.

As for Cortana, graphics have played a part in making her look more sexual, lets not kid ourselves, she has always been naked, the advancement to realism was only going to promote her looks and speaking of that, women do have boobs of all sizes, bigger ones should not automatically mean an overly sexualised character. I give props to 343 for giving Cortana a proper figure, hips for one. I don't think her look is crass, it's mild curves, she isn't giving out a sexualised persona with words or movement. The graphics leap is just a shock with her design.

Toxi

Banned
This is probably the best article I've seen regarding the oft-criticized Sorceress's design. The gist is that she's a necromancer and the artist chose to associate her ability of rebirth of the dead with classic fertility goddess imagery.
This is pretty baseless speculation, especially when there are much more likely reasons for the Sorceress's design.

First, fertility goddesses generally weren't just associated with large breasts, but large frames in general. This isn't surprising, since fertility in agriculture means eating well. Fertility goddesses also tended to be associated with childbirth and therefore pregnancy.

Second, the article acts like the necromancers are the only ones in Vanillaware games with large breasts, when large breasts can be found on many other female characters who most certainly are not necromancers or references to fertility godesses. So if large breasts are the connection between necromancers and fertility goddesses, why are they found on other characters who aren't necromancers?

Third, there is zero evidence for the connection made between necromancer and fertility goddess beyond "they have large breasts". Sure, there are a lot of obvious mythological references in Dragon's Crown, but those references are obvious and have much more to back them up than "they both have big breasts". Arguing a character who is half-skeletal is a reference to fertility goddesses is going to require a hell of a lot more than "they both have big breasts".

Fourth, the Sorceress's status as a necromancer is one of the less prominent parts of her character, so the idea that it dictated the most obvious part of her character design makes little sense.

Fifth, there are much more obvious mythological inspirations for the Sorceress's design; for example, the old ugly witch who uses magic to appear young and beautiful. In fact, that's exactly what the Sorceress is implied to be depending on how you interpret the skills menu. Or for another example, the common trope of hot witches.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Huge fan of KH but I don't like what they did to Sora imo..

Before (KH3 initial reveal in 2013):
228px-Sora.png

E3 2015 (new outfit and hair)

Sora02.png

Not saying he looks terrible but that hair change is bothering me so much.

That hair is really weirding me out.

bengraven

Xenosaga Eps 1 ---> Eps 2

Hi8Uxli.jpg

Thankfully, they struck balance with Eps 3.

Weird because I couldn't get through Xeno1 because of the shitty character designs (I didn't like playing adults who looked like they were 8 years old) and yet I loved the more mature ones of part 2. I would have loved to have played 2 but since I couldn't get through 1...

Another one really bad IMO

Bastila in KOTOR
Bastila_battle_ready.jpg

Bastila in SWTOR
screen10.jpg

She didn't have a huge part to play. Like Revan, they just put someone in there and gave her Jennifer's Hales voice, whom was already playing her descendant.

Athena Asamiya (King of Fighters)

HGP6YYRl.jpg

Ds9akwnl.jpg

THIS.

That hair is really weirding me out.

You guys are joking, right? Trolling? Because other than the color, which is just slightly off, the hair looks the exact same and is in fact the only thing that hasn't changed from one model to the next...

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
You guys are joking, right? Trolling? Because other than the color, which is just slightly off, the hair looks the exact same and is in fact the only thing that hasn't changed from one model to the next...

Look at the top model, then the bottom. Are you honestly telling me you don't see the notable difference int he shape of Sora's hair? The bottom model's hair looks like he's been sleeping on his head; it's squished at the top and sticks out further--or at least more prominently--on the sides.

If there's any confusion, we're talking about the E3 2015 look. The 2013 look is much more in-line with what came before.

I liked the look of 47 in Absolution. Why did they have to go and make him look 25 years old in the upcoming one?

No idea. Apparently the new games takes places after Absolution as well, makes no sense. To be honest I did think he looked a bit too meaty in Absolution, but they've gone way too far for this new game.

Then there's this shot from the E3 Gameplay trailer that has him looking much closer to the Absolution model:

RKjIsOL.jpg

This isn't necessarily bizarre, because I can see exactly why they did it, but Pikachu's rapid redesign to make him more suitable as the franchise's mascot has always amused me. That Pokémon was very clearly never designed to be the face of the franchise.

025Pikachu_RG.png

025Pikachu_Dream_3.png

Slimmed right down, and had his features and proportions made far cuter. I actually prefer modern Pikachu, but it is a notable change for such an iconic character.

bengraven

Look at the top model, then the bottom. Are you honestly telling me you don't see the notable difference int he shape of Sora's hair? The bottom model's hair looks like he's been sleeping on his head; it's squished at the top and sticks out further--or at least more prominently--on the sides.

If there's any confusion, we're talking about the E3 2015 look. The 2013 look is much more in-line with what came before.

I see a little bit more length in the spikes coming out on the left and right side...and a shorter bit on top?

I guess I didn't notice it until I examined it further.

Im probably gonna get crap for this but I hate what they did to Sabrina from Pokemon:

OG Sabrina

Heart Gold, Soul Silver remake

I dint buy the remake so I dint even know about this until I was looking for some Sabrina images for a photoshop. I was shocked....and yeah yeah I know that HGSS remakes are in a alternate universe, but that only means that we will never see the old designs again! Too be fair Sabrina is the only redesign I dont like.
The first one is FRLG Sabrina. And HGSS aren't an alternate universe. Takes place 3 years after FRLG. So the change is simply from time change.

kurahador

I don't understand why everyone is using that stupid comparison. She has an extremely dumb expression, this is not suited for comparioson at all.

Yeah. That gif is the equivalent of Uncharted 3 and Uncharted 2 glitch picture.
Her expression in that scenes is weird regardless of which face Lara has.

Harmen

This one cracks me up. Maaan, did they ruin Spyro's looks. And that while many Skylanders look pretty neat actually.

Not really a fan of how Sonic's progressed in terms of design. I like Sonic 2 sonic the best.

ardur2l1eglr2jlmkwph.jpg

This is actually one of the few things I think the series improved on. I generally like modern Sonics' look, the products he appears in not so much (save for Smash and his racing games).

Toxi

Banned
I get the sense you didn't bother to actually read the words in the articles posted.

Fertility goddesses typically had large breasts and large hips - the two things present in the Sorc's design. Here is an actual fertility goddess statue from the article that you gleefully ignored:

18lhfv5s8e57qjpg.jpg
I didn't gleefully ignore the article. Please stop being an ass.

If you read my points, I stated that there are other common elements to fertility goddesses that aren't represented by those characters. I also stated that more proof is required beyond "they are voluptuous" when there are other characters in the game who also have big breasts and hips and aren't necromancers.

And you act like the large-breasted women are the only ones in the game. This is exactly what I brought up when I said "Also, the small-breasted Archer gets completely ignored in these conversations, because it's not about having a variety of characters, just ragging on the few choices that we don't like." and is the subject of the post I linked by an artist who deals with this exact issue and Dragon's Crown. Again, skip to the conclusion to see a hilarious rebuttal of your tired argument that only small-breasted body types should be allowed.

Here's the Archer, you know that character you ignored in favor of laser focusing on the one body type you dislike:
Elf.DragonS.Crown_.full_.634037.jpg
You lack reading comprehension. I said "There are lots of other characters with big breasts in the game who are not necromancers." Which there are. I can't believe I have to convince you of such an uncontroversial statement.

The assumptions you are making about my motive are asinine and make it difficult for me to want actually debate with you. I am arguing with the article's suggestion that the witch's large breasts are referencing fertility goddesses, and you are the one putting words in my mouth about "body types I dislike".

You're joking right? Not only did you not read, but you didn't even look at the pictures?

Here's one of the main promotional images of the character cradling a skeleton like a suckling child. And you're seriously telling me that the connection between the Sorc and necromancy is a stretch? Seriously?

18l49f4riu3hzjpg.jpg

18l4fr4s7etydjpg.jpg
Uh, that's not how you carry a suckling child. At all. You even posted a picture that shows it's nothing like how you carry a child (Albeit one who is not breast-feeding at the moment).

And no, the connection between the Sorceress and necromancy isn't a stretch. The stretch is acting like necromancy is the main element in her character design, and acting like there is a connection between necromancy and fertility goddesses because the necromancer has big boobs in a game with plenty of big boobs.

Read the articles. Please read, it's helpful to know what you're even talking about. This exact point is dealt with, and the linked article is so full of pictures that the words only take 60 seconds to move your eyes over, but you obviously couldn't be bothered before hopping on your one-body-type-for-all bandwagon.
Read my fucking post next time.

Also, I noticed you make conclusions about the people you are arguing with and try to batter them down with unfounded insults. Try to keep that under control if you want people to take you seriously.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Anime Dante is still better than DmC "Punk" Dante.
If we're gonna be completely honest, DMC3 Dante screams edgy the most. I mean look at this, this isn't cool.

3143289-2660098149-62875.jpg

dante-devil-may-cry-3-10625972-1024-768.jpg

Ofc he has a sword called rebellion. With a huge skull as the hilt.

SoulUnison

Banned
dantaaay.jpg

Agree that this is up there with the worst. Complete departure from the original character and a mediocre redesign at that. I'm not sure who was begging for a smug, meth-head version of Dante.

Good thing that's not the final version of the redesign, then!

Final DmC Dante has slightly different clothes/accessories than this, a different face, and all the bruising/jaundice/diseased skin is just regular skin tone.
Why is it every time someone wants to complain about DmC Dante they use the worst looking "in-production" design and try to pass it off as the release version?

You're just straight up lying.

THIS is DmC Dante.

Man, I hate the character designs in Dragon's Crown. Even after hearing the artist explain and defend it, I still hate it. It's just so... gross to me. I can't play the game, which is supposed to be very good, because I am so repulsed by the characters.

The elf archer is all right, though.

Yeah, I can't play Dragon's Crown because I hate looking at the screen. Character designs like the Barbarian and Witch there make me think of the word "grotesque."
Who is this supposed to appeal to? Horny teenagers with body proportion disorders?

Akainu

Uhhh, you guys know that he doesn't actually look like that in the actual game right?
tumblr_nof1wu6FEt1ruc976o1_1280.jpg

Same general concept, young less anime version of Dante. He never looked quite right in CGI renders compared to in the actual game.

i think it's the opposite he looks good in that mug shot picture just beaten up but looked way worse in the reveal trailer.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Jak is bizarre between Jak and Daxter and Jak II, but that really applies to his entire second game and onwards. (Love all of Jak, but it was a very bizarre transition)

GrowingJak.jpg

His Jak II -> Jak 3 design was less weird, but for the worse, IMO. The kilt was cool, though.

Everytime I see people complain about the Dragon's Crown characters I can't help but think they have no understanding of the classic imagery that the game draws from. It seems like everyone can identify Thor or Odin but if you stray from the most pop-culture myths people lose their shit.

This is probably the best article I've seen regarding the oft-criticized Sorceress's design. The gist is that she's a necromancer and the artist chose to associate her ability of rebirth of the dead with classic fertility goddess imagery. If you're still not convinced, take a look at how carefully considered the entirety of the game's visual design is.

Of course if anyone mentions the over-muscled dwarf, that's just a male power fantasy (because every guy wants to be a hulked out dwarf right?). Also, the small-breasted Archer gets completely ignored in these conversations, because it's not about having a variety of characters, just ragging on the few choices that we don't like.

This whole perverse line of reasoning is better detailed here. Skip down to the conclusion if you want a hilarious example of how some people think a lack of body diversity in characters is the better option.

Just for fun, another related article by the same author.

Note: I'm not ragging on Valorant specifically here, since his/her stance wasn't really presented. But these tired arguments about the exaggerated character designs seem to be the only thing anyone thinks about whenever Dragon's Crown comes up.

I don't hate the imagry then invoke, I just think they are horrendously ugly pieces of art.

Toxi

Banned
Man, I can't believe I actually have someone arguing with the statement

Second, the article acts like the necromancers are the only ones in Vanillaware games with large breasts, when large breasts can be found on many other female characters who most certainly are not necromancers or references to fertility godesses.

Like how the fuck can someone play Dragon's Crown and not think there are more busty characters than just the Sorceress.

Of course, given that he brought up the Elf, maybe he somehow thought this read "All characters in Vanillaware games have big breasts".
I don't hate the imagry then invoke, I just think they are horrendously ugly pieces of art.
I personally like the game's art style; for me, the exaggeration works for the distinct characters.

But Jesus fuck the game has some obnoxious fans.

Good thing that's not the final version of the redesign, then!

Final DmC Dante has slightly different clothes/accessories than this, a different face, and all the bruising/jaundice/diseased skin is just regular skin tone.
Why is it every time someone wants to complain about DmC Dante they use the worst looking "in-production" design and try to pass it off as the release version?

You're just straight up lying.

THIS is DmC Dante.

Because that was the initial reveal of his redesign. After the backlash, they edited it heavily, but that initial artwork was the actual redesign. It's not some weird agenda. Nobody is saying that was the final design.

Top Bottom