• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bizarre redesigns of game characters.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
From fun badass dude
PrinceOfPersiaWallpaper800.jpg

to Douchebag McGritty
header.jpg

Also, Castlevania Judgment has got to have some of the most insulting eye-gouging character designs I've ever seen. Maria, Eric Lecarde, Shanoa, Alucard, Simon... is there a single character they haven't completely butchered with grotesque over-designed garbage? Goddamn.

Blue Mary from The King of Fighters, if you don't know.
NnaeQPW.jpg

Also, as much as I love Battle Network, there are more misses than hits in terms of re-imaginings.
Holy shit... My eyes. My eyes. What is this atrocity? I've rarely seen so much wrong in one single design. Gahhhhhh

The original design looks solid, too. WTF?

Final Fantasy IV Porom

lnxewVR.png

to

CD7cdMS.jpg
Joke post?

So I went digging for more pics from the Twilight Zone that spawned Goblin Palom and Porom

Behold, Merchant Rydia and Fabulous-Bare-Thighs-and-Ass Kain

Dm64qOql.jpg

tjGzynnl.jpg
Omg... what are those things O_O

KennyL

I don't understand why everyone is using that stupid comparison. She has an extremely dumb expression, this is not suited for comparioson at all.

I vastly prefer the definitive desgin:
vx9cft0nz1pmees6ho9e.jpg

TombRaiderConsoleCompareThumb.jpg

The original is nice because she has that worried look constantly, which fits the situation perfectly. It's character development without words. It's good stuff.

The new design is botox doll fetish.

Darknight

The original is nice because she has that worried look constantly, which fits the situation perfectly. It's character development without words. It's good stuff.

The new design is botox doll fetish.

Just look at the eyes. Forget everything. The old model looks dull and lifeless.

Wanderer5

As with most games, you can cherry pick an awful example.

Here are some other comparisons that don't look anywhere near as bad.

I still prefer the original, but the redesign isn't as awful as that first image would lead you to believe.

Those eyes through.....

KHlover

Banned

12094558126_b658ae419d_b.jpg

I still prefer the original, but the redesign isn't as awful as that first image would lead you to believe.

psycholaraf5rjw.jpg

Nothing off here at all. Nothing...at all.

Korigama

Capcom literally told them too. But no no continue that narrative.
They never told them to have him resemble Antoniades specifically, but they did tell them to make him drastically different.

Alice from Bloody Roar springs to mind.

RviIF2o.jpg

Absolutely no indication that they were ever supposed to be the same character by the time they got to Primal Fury. From anime-inspired to realistic and completely ordinary (eye color changed to fall in line with that, too).

Dryk

Until I read this thread I never knew about the horrible Halo 4 Covenant redesigns. That makes 343 shoehorning them into that game even stupider.

The giant eyes are still really noticeable, and that's ignoring that a lot of the changes seem to be trying to make her prettier.

Koyuga

i'll say cortana from the halo series, the way the characters got sexualised every game is just ridiculous, her boobs got bigger every game

iQYcGhyl.jpg

on the other hand this is how you properly evolve a character model
elena_comparison.jpg

I really hated Elena's face model in UC3, she almost looked like a diferent person. UC4 Elena looks right at home though.
But my favorite will always be her UC1 face.

Dice//

Banned
i'll say cortana from the halo series, the way the characters got sexualised every game is just ridiculous, her boobs got bigger every game

iQYcGhyl.jpg

on the other hand this is how you properly evolve a character model
elena_comparison.jpg

I don't mind Cortana because the last scene would have been weird if she look more virtual than not. I also like the more realistic bob, the other designs feel like "westerner draws from anime inspiration". The tight body suit is a bit eye-rolling, but i think it succeeds in other ways.

The Elena one is nice. I really like the idea they had in UC3 (it was warm, confident, and less 'pointy' than her previous two iterations; but U4 makes her look a bit nervous). Wouldn't mind another comparison shot of her U4 version but I do like the details though, she's got that ear piercing there (with no earring).

wmlk

Im probably gonna get crap for this but I hate what they did to Sabrina from Pokemon:

OG Sabrina

Heart Gold, Soul Silver remake

I dint buy the remake so I dint even know about this until I was looking for some Sabrina images for a photoshop. I was shocked....and yeah yeah I know that HGSS remakes are in a alternate universe, but that only means that we will never see the old designs again! Too be fair Sabrina is the only redesign I dont like.

Yes, you are going to get some fair load of crap about this.

FRLG/RBGY Sabrina is two years younger than HGSS/GSC Sabrina. You can imagine someone looking different after two years. It's the same thing with all of the other Gym Leaders, and especially Misty.

Also, Sabrina is known for changing her look and trying different things. Heck, she's an actress in BW2 and is sporting this look.

Spr_B2W2_Sabrina_Pok%C3%A9star.png

Now, alternate universes is canon in the Pokémon world. So, there's that, too.

Basically, her redesign actually makes more sense than not keeping the same design, for more reasons than one.

Huge fan of KH but I don't like what they did to Sora imo..

Not saying he looks terrible but that hair change is bothering me so much.

The hair is a little flat on the top, but I really like the new outfit.

To be honest, I miss Final Fantasy 7's old look:

YqmOsek.jpg

I know it's a little dated (and maybe stilted), but I thought it still gave the game the proper fantasy flair.

wTMAoJt.jpg

But this is what SquareEnix wants Final Fantasy 7 to be now. I don't think we have a shot of the faces of the FF7 Remake cast, but it doesn't look too far off from this. The color is drained, much of the stylization is gone. It's more like actual people cosplaying in Final Fantasy 7 outfits than the original stylized characters.

To be honest, I think part of the reason why they've been so freaked out over the cost and time of remaking FF7, is because rather than using the original style, they want to make everything hyper-realistic, for a game that's not exactly that.

Dice//

Banned
latest

This really pissed me off

It's weird how four iterations of light-blue hair then NAVY BLUE happened and I was so shocked by it. x)
I loved it too. I thought both Ryu and Nina were perfect in V as great twists on their common and predictable designs. They felt familiar and strange at the same time. So I'm afraid I have to disagree, the style in that game was on-point.

NnaeQPW.jpg

Wait, what, you dont wear those?

I thought everybody had a pair of Butt out Jeans?

jamie-foxx-prince_o_GIFSoupcom1.gif

This is just fucking awful.

injurai

Banned
I really hated Elena's face model in UC3, she almost looked like a diferent person. UC4 Elena looks right at home though.
But my favorite will always be her UC1 face.

UC4 Elena just has makeup on. She wasn't really doing field work at the time, she was reporting in a city. The only time she really got dragged into things was on the spur of the moment, they thought they were just doing recon through the town. I think people get a little to used to the idea that video game characters are these static designs. But I enjoy when you see characters get expressed more realistical and fit into the right tone as where they are in their life.

I actualy liked the remake because it made her look less of an innocent JRPG Barbie doll. ;/

All the redesigns too, I'm happy they shed that really, reaaally 90s anime medieval look. x)
lufiachange.jpg

Not like the reboot went anywhere though. :p

I've always appreciated L2's artwork (it's very much like the guy who did Phantasy Star and Sorcerian), an Amano-esque fluid whimsy in equal proportion to a more weighted, realistic scale.

Not understanding all of the hate over Dragon's Crown's characters. Most of them evoke Frank Frazetta (as if his heroes and heroines weren't muscly and busty enough) in extra exaggerated, over-the-top anime form. Pretty suitable for what kind of game it is. At least they have style and character, they could have easily been generic anime protagonists if they were in the hands of another artist.

tauroxd

Not understanding all of the hate over Dragon's Crown's characters. Most of them evoke Frank Frazetta (as if his heroes and heroines weren't muscly and busty enough) in extra exaggerated, over-the-top anime form. Pretty suitable for what kind of game it is. At least they have style and character, they could have easily been generic anime protagonists if they were in the hands of another artist.

That's what I think too. It probably isn't anyone most loved style, but it does have style... It's unique in a way, bad or good, but unique nonetheless.

Dremark

Banned
Pretty mild example OP.

Alucard.
piI1hPA.jpg

Alucard in Castlevania Judgement
MTKbiX5.jpg

You could probably post the entire cast of characters of that game in here.

To be fair the Judgement design is a lot closer to the Symphony design than the Symphony design was to the original.

np18alucard.jpg

Also for what it's worth his dad get nearly a full redesign from game to game, even when done by the same character designer sometimes.

anaron

The hair is a little flat on the top, but I really like the new outfit.

To be honest, I miss Final Fantasy 7's old look:

YqmOsek.jpg

I know it's a little dated (and maybe stilted), but I thought it still gave the game the proper fantasy flair.

wTMAoJt.jpg

But this is what SquareEnix wants Final Fantasy 7 to be now. I don't think we have a shot of the faces of the FF7 Remake cast, but it doesn't look too far off from this. The color is drained, much of the stylization is gone. It's more like actual people cosplaying in Final Fantasy 7 outfits than the original stylized characters.

To be honest, I think part of the reason why they've been so freaked out over the cost and time of remaking FF7, is because rather than using the original style, they want to make everything hyper-realistic, for a game that's not exactly that.
the AC look is trash

Cloud, Aeris and Sephiroth's hair alone should have prevented any discussion of a realistic style but nope.

Dremark

Banned
SNES Little Mac.

From this:
latest

To this:
snes_mac_avatar1.png

(And then to the excellent Next Level Games design.)

tumblr_inline_nglpbnvRjW1t67ytl.jpg

latest

I don't think the guy in Super Punch Out was supposed to be Mac. I know they called him that in fight night but I think they did just because they didn't have anything else to call him.

Next Level did a great job with the update though. It's a shame they seem to be hated so much lately, they do really good work.

Dice//

Banned

Some of the shots it takes at fan service (especially at females) I really, really don't like... Like this crap here:

Her legs are spread for the camera, despite appearances she's a warrior monk (wearing a nun's habit and some chastity-belt looking metal underwear), and her face looks to be in between ecstasy and pain... It's stupid and the idea behind it was transparent and pointless (would people have reacted negatively to an actual kick-ass warrior female monk?).

*sigh*...But I admire the hell out of the inclusion of the Amazon:
It's ridiculously muscular, and games are so hesitant to show of muscular women --- especially to this degree and especially Japanese games. She's showing a lot of skin, but I honestly didn't see the focus as a sexual intent (or like many sexy characters who's design is specific to "be ogled"), I'd argue some find it unattractive even but instead she proudly shows it off.

Also, despite the issues with her design, I honestly believe the Witch is the CLOSEST games have come to animating jiggling breasts. Maybe because, in reality boobs don't really jiggle, they don't bounce, they don't sway -- but they do a small combination of the three. Probably my least favourite thing about videogame breast jiggle mechanics is that just about ANY LITTLE MOVEMENT can set them off.
"Clipping issues are too hard but we sure will make tits bounce!" - Devs
Dragons-crown-sorceress-walking-animation.gif

krang

Considering its presence in the universe, I'm going to consider the halo from Halo to be a pseudo-character.
What?

Saber's redesign of the halo is utterly bonkers. It's overly-complex, and full of unnecessary colour. The original was designed to be monolithic and imposing, and that goes completely out the window with the redesign. Luckily they saw sense with the delta halo design in H2A.

533b2039fc71e72a2a685b70de9a52ea8caa8e76.jpg__620x700_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

injurai

Banned
Considering its presence in the universe, I'm going to consider the halo from Halo to be a pseudo-character.
What?

Saber's redesign of the halo is utterly bonkers. It's overly-complex, and full of unnecessary colour. The original was designed to be monolithic and imposing, and that goes completely out the window with the redesign. Luckily they saw sense with the delta halo design in H2A.

533b2039fc71e72a2a685b70de9a52ea8caa8e76.jpg__620x700_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

Lmao, did they use the Covenants design on the haloes when they are Forerunner technology?

Wow... It's like they completely ignored the titular theme of the first installment of the franchise.

krang

Lmao, did they use the Covenants design on the haloes when they are Forerunner technology?

Wow... It's like they completely ignored the titular theme of the first installment of the franchise.

Ha, yeah. "Covenant-designed halo" is pretty accurate!

Have to agree with this. All of 343 designs across the entire board are awful. Over-designed with needless complexity is their motto.

I disagree. The artwork in Halo 4 could be fantastic, especially the Forerunner structures. And I don't think the armour in 4 was hugely over complicated compared to 3, it was just differently proportioned, leaner.

fates

I actualy liked the remake because it made her look less of an innocent JRPG Barbie doll. ;/

All the redesigns too, I'm happy they shed that really, reaaally 90s anime medieval look. x)
lufiachange.jpg

Not like the reboot went anywhere though. :p

Agreed. Liked the character designs in the new game (well except for Maxim's leather coat). I just wish the game itself were closer to it's original gameplay wise.

Lijik

There was a brief period where Konami tried out a shonen inspired Goemon set IN THE FUTURE!!!
Ebisumaru got the worst of it
1ZI86ag.png

watership

Have to agree with this. All of 343 designs across the entire board are awful. Over-designed with needless complexity is their motto.

I somewhat agree with some of Halo 4's art, especially some of the chief stuff which looks like he was cover in armour bits. But Halo 5 looks stunning in design.

Halo-5-Guardians-GI-Blue-Team-Screenshot-17.jpg

blueteam.jpg

osiris.jpg

Top Bottom