• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online Closed Beta Thread: Works on F2P? No, money down!

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there controller support?

yes, it does, but the UI menus are not so fast to navigate through them with it, its faster with the keyboard and mouse... also, if you need to type something (ask for help or seomthing like that), you will need a keyboard nearby

Fishious

I have a question for anyone who has played this or been following this closely: How is the world laid out?

Is it like most MMOs where there's the starter town and low level zones adjacent, then several cities down the line everything's high level zones? Or are there a mix of zone levels around each town? I ask because from what I've read, the whole no fast travel coupled with other systems like node investment, the farm, and housing seem like they would encourage you to stick to the same areas. So is it possible to play the game, follow the main quests, and generally stick to the same vicinity or are you expected to move all your stuff to each new area as you progress?

Somnia

The best way I can describe this game for people who are just use to theme park MMO's (wow, ffxiv, etc.) it's more akin to a Ultima Online or Star Wars Galaxies in that it's a full sandbox world. The focus is not dungeons, raids, etc. its living in a world, hence no fast travel, connected banks, etc.

Ashodin

I have a question for anyone who has played this or been following this closely: How is the world laid out?

Is it like most MMOs where there's the starter town and low level zones adjacent, then several cities down the line everything's high level zones? Or are there a mix of zone levels around each town? I ask because from what I've read, the whole no fast travel coupled with other systems like node investment, the farm, and housing seem like they would encourage you to stick to the same areas. So is it possible to play the game, follow the main quests, and generally stick to the same vicinity or are you expected to move all your stuff to each new area as you progress?

From what I know, the zones expand to the east (towards the desert, hey!) but I'm not sure if there's pockets of low and high mobs or whatnot.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

It is pretty varied. Just settling for nodes around main towns is fine, but you get a bigger return of investment if you go out and find nodes that aren't heavily in use already. It pays to explore for both crafting and combat grinding.

As for the PvE question, this game leans more towards the older school MMOs. Quests give you hardly any XP, there are no instanced dungeons or raids (I believe) and you generally have to find your own way in the world.

Fishious

It is pretty varied. Just settling for nodes around main towns is fine, but you get a bigger return of investment if you go out and find nodes that aren't heavily in use already. It pays to explore for both crafting and combat grinding.

As for the PvE question, this game leans more towards the older school MMOs. Quests give you hardly any XP, there are no instanced dungeons or raids (I believe) and you generally have to find your own way in the world.

Thanks! I asked specifically because the progression design of most MMOs means people will congregate toward the beginning areas early in it's life and "end game" areas once it's mature since all the appropriately leveled content, resources, etc are all in the later areas. Basically I wanted to make sure this game had all it's ducks in a row in terms of ensuring the player base would be more evenly distributed across the world. It sounds like the node thing should help with that.

Regarding quests I was under the impression you got xp for raising energy and contribution or something? Did youtube lie to me?

Jira

Yeah won't bother if there's no end game content. If the comment from people on GAF is positive I'll check it out. Like Archeage for the little I played.

Sandboxes are always PvP based so if you're not into crafting/economy/huge guild battles, then it may not be for you. It isn't a PvE game.

Fou-Lu

Any other useful sites for getting keys? I have been watching this games developement since the begining and my opinion on it and hype toward has been on a constant up and down battle. So now I just want to try it myself.

What's the fishing like? Fishing minigames are my jam.

Ferr986

If only someone could get a key. But the process sucks and it's almost imposible. You basically register in every other site and when you're done keys are already all taken.

Sakura

The best way I can describe this game for people who are just use to theme park MMO's (wow, ffxiv, etc.) it's more akin to a Ultima Online or Star Wars Galaxies in that it's a full sandbox world. The focus is not dungeons, raids, etc. its living in a world, hence no fast travel, connected banks, etc.

Hmm sounds pretty cool.
Maybe I will give the beta a try.

Jolkien

Sandboxes are always PvP based so if you're not into crafting/economy/huge guild battles, then it may not be for you. It isn't a PvE game.

One does not exclude the other. It's a shame this one doesn't but that's fine. Hopefully plenty of people will like it and it won't crash and burn like Archeage.

Ashodin

Hopefully it's actually a good game unlike ArcheAge.

Everything I've seen sounds great to me.

• The developers listen to feedback IN EVERY REGION
  • They are building more PVE content that could be called "endgame" to satisfy those that want it
  • They didn't build PVE to begin with because they wanted PVP in place ahead of time. It's easier to implement than PVE

You have to understand this is the fastest we've seen an MMO come out of the east out of beta then to the West. It literally wasn't in beta in KOREA just like a year ago.

Vex_

Banned
Hmmmm no fast travel sounds interesting. Hmmmmmm!!!

HMMMMMMMMMM!

So if any world expansions happen.....? Hmmmmmmmmmm!

Fou-Lu

Wasn't the beta supposed to start at 8am UTC? Or do I have the time zone wrong?

Edit: Nevermind, I am dumb, didn't even realize it was past midnight and is the 17th today.

Tidalwave

Kinda a shame imo. Willing to try this but beta codes seem annoying to obtain. I won't be buying it without trying it first. Ah well.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, that's right, I said weight. This game has a weight limit like Fallout games. Even MONEY has weight to it!

Hard pass. Also watching that video, shit like having to delete your monster information and grinding it out again so you can get better drops and damage is just like... why. Why are MMO designers always intent on making this shit like it's a job.

I hate this kinda thing because I wish I could give it to everyone, but I have a key available for someone to register. Just quote this post to view it, as usual.

Game looks awesome so I can't wait to dive in tomorrow!

Ferr986

I hate this kinda thing because I wish I could give it to everyone, but I have a key available for someone to register. Just quote this post to view it, as usual.

Game looks awesome so I can't wait to dive in tomorrow!

Wow thank you so much! Grabbed it! Finally I'll be able to try it!

Wow thank you so much! Grabbed it! Finally I'll be able to try it!

You're welcome =) Wish I could do the same for everyone. Game looks incredible.

Wow, so hyped for this! Downloading the beta right now.

Will names from the beta move across to the final game?

I doubt it. Pretty sure they'll be doing a character wipe. Pre-ordering the game gives you early access though and a chance to reserve character names.

I played this game in KR beta and early launch.

I also played NA CBT1 for a bit too see how it was in English instead of Hangungmoon.

Sorry, but I'm not touching the NA/EU region version as long as they are trying to scam players by charging up front for a game which is F2P in all the other regions.

The game is P2W like Archeage at cap just so you know. It's also doing rather poorly in it's home market, lurking somewhere down in the lower half of the Korean Top 100.

The game doesn't actually make you ride your horse from point A to point B. Instead you can set a route to your destination, hit the auto travel key, and go get some food while you automatically are pathed there. If you think wasting your time riding your virtual horse on autopilot is a good use of your MMO playtime then I cannot dissuade you. Good luck in BDO.

playXray

You're welcome =) Wish I could do the same for everyone. Game looks incredible.

I doubt it. Pretty sure they'll be doing a character wipe. Pre-ordering the game gives you early access though and a chance to reserve character names.

Sounds cool - I didn't get the name I really wanted so I might get another shot. Do you know when we will be able to reserve names for the final version?

EDIT: Looks like it was the 9th Feb?

Sorry, but I'm not touching the NA/EU region version as long as they are trying to scam players by charging up front for a game which is F2P in all the other regions.

See, I don't mind this at all. They've spent a heck of a lot on translating into all of our languages, and they aren't charging a subscription fee. Buy to play covers that cost and (hopefully) means they'll be able to provide decent servers. It all comes down to the support the game receives, but at least buy to play means they'll be in a better position to provide that support.

As for the gameplay, I could care less about raids and dungeons. I'm all about the levelling, the exploration, and the alliance PVP. Lineage 2 was also insanely pay-to-win with its PVP end game, but I managed just fine without ebaying anything and still had an amazing time.

The game doesn't actually make you ride your horse from point A to point B. Instead you can set a route to your destination, hit the auto travel key, and go get some food while you automatically are pathed there. If you think wasting your time riding your virtual horse on autopilot is a good use of your MMO playtime then I cannot dissuade you. Good luck in BDO.

Eh? Do you also complain about the griffin rides in WoW?

d3vnull

Damn! This looks great and I'm late to the party... Any place where I can get a Beta key?
Don't want to spend the money just yet.

edit: nevermind, got one.

See, I don't mind this at all. They've spent a heck of a lot on translating into all of our languages, and they aren't charging a subscription fee. Buy to play covers that cost and (hopefully) means they'll be able to provide decent servers. It all comes down to the support the game receives, but at least buy to play means they'll be in a better position to provide that support.

If you say so. From what I saw of the English translation in CBT1, it was extremely minimal and while it was better than the fan-translations I relied on playing the KR version I didn't feel like it was some amazing costly effort. At least the story stuff Black Spirit said actually made sense, it was hash in the fan translations.

As for the gameplay, I could care less about raids and dungeons. I'm all about the levelling, the exploration, and the alliance PVP. Lineage 2 was also insanely pay-to-win with its PVP end game, but I managed just fine without ebaying anything and still had an amazing time.

You level extremely fast in BDO, it's a modern MMO in that regard. This is no Lineage II or old-school FFXI where you grinded on 10 million mobs for a year to reach the cap. BDO is completely modern, leveling is extremely streamlined, you move from camp to camp picking up quests to kill 10 goblins or whatever like any themepark MMO while leveling.

The world is extremely large but it's also very hollow, there isn't anything exciting to find inside that cave you passed for instance. You'll just pass by killing your 10 goblins and move on. There's nothing to find by exploring.

The PvP is extremely unbalanced and no effort is made to balance it because there's no competitive PvP of any kind. And yes, in KR there are $2 PvP revival potions. I have no idea what will happen in NA/EU but I'm just warning you that the P2W is quite impressive in the KR version at least.

Eh? Do you also complain about the griffin rides in WoW?

No. My point is, if you're going to make a big deal about no fast travel around the world and then give the player an autopilot, you're not accomplishing a whole lot. At least in Oblivion and Skyrim there was no autopilot, if you ignored the fast travel feature in those games you had to move your character from place to place yourself.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Damn! This looks great and I'm late to the party... Any place where I can get a Beta key?
Don't want to spend the money just yet.

edit: nevermind, got one.

Where'd you find one? I'm keen to see how it runs from Australia so don't want to be putting down money when its impossible to play.

No. My point is, if you're going to make a big deal about no fast travel around the world and then give the player an autopilot, you're not accomplishing a whole lot. At least in Oblivion and Skyrim there was no autopilot, if you ignored the fast travel feature in those games you had to move your character from place to place yourself.

Or use the carriages/boats, which required payment. It's not about "no fast travel" full stop. It's about immersive travel within the world. BDO looks like it accomplishes that perfectly, as did WoW's Griffin rides. Convenient travel, that doesn't diminish the world's sense of scale.

Rootbeer

Banned
Got my beta key. Gonna dig into this over the weekend.

I'll happily buy the $99 pre-order SKU if I'm pleased. I hope that I will be.

I just really hate how they are treating gender and age in this game. I want way more character options. Especially if you like to play male, which I do.

Yushi

The Korean version has been nearly a massive failure so far. They've been trying to keep players but people are leaving soon after every little content patch. And its a F2P game.

And i can see NA version not only being B2P, but having the microtransaction too. People are going to flip their shit when their dyes (that you pay for) wear off when you don't pay for the "premium" (think monthly fee)

Wanted to like the game in KR, got bored wayyyy to quickly. There are good things but not enough worthy content to make use of those good things.

Cyrano

Question for people who have already played: any class with combat fluidity as nice as the Kung-Fu Master in Blade & Soul?

Alternatively, any healer classes that have a good ability to move (aren't bolted to the ground while casting)? Was looking at Valkyrie but I guess that's not an option at launch?

Pit

Think I want to jump in, but I'm from Aus. I have read that some have had issue with connection and some seem to say it's alright. Anyone here have more to add? I would love to hear from people before I put down my money. No chance of Aus servers right?

Think I want to jump in, but I'm from Aus. I have read that some have had issue with connection and some seem to say it's alright. Anyone here have more to add? I would love to hear from people before I put down my money. No chance of Aus servers right?

I doubt you can join anyway. The game has IP block for certain regions' IPs.
Not sure if Aus is included on the list or not though. My region, SEA, is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom