• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online Closed Beta Thread: Works on F2P? No, money down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pit

I doubt you can join anyway. The game has IP block for certain regions' IPs.
Not sure if Aus is included on the list or not though. My region, SEA, is.

Yeah Aus got allowed in a few months back or maybe longer, but it's definitely releasing here.

PulseONE

So question...when this comes out in the west, will it be region locked?

EDIT
I doubt you can join anyway. The game has IP block for certain regions' IPs.
Not sure if Aus is included on the list or not though. My region, SEA, is.

Ah. Oh well, it was nice to dream. No way they'll be opening a server for my region...

Ferr986

So you can't change classes right?
I'm toying with the creator right now and I can't decide between Ranger or Sorcerer :/

Somnia

Just to stop this P2W talk from a couple people, yes the KR version is heavy P2W, however the US devs have already said they chose to go the B2P route for this game instead of the F2P for a reason, they will avoid all P2W shit in the store. Our version will be strictly cosmetic, extra inventory slots, etc just like ESO is how they put it. They confirmed ages ago they will avoid what the KR version does.

Azzurri

I've played beta, but I'm gonna hold off on release for a bit and see where the game is in a few months.

I've been cautious ever since dropping $150 on archeage founder pack.

Yeah Aus got allowed in a few months back or maybe longer, but it's definitely releasing here.

Oh, you're right. It seems that Aus is included on the whitelist.

So question...when this comes out in the west, will it be region locked?

Ah. Oh well, it was nice to dream. No way they'll be opening a server for my region...

Its locked in South East Asia? :(

Yeah, only NA, EU, and Aus. Some parts of Europe are also going to be blocked.
http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/786-territory-of-service-updated-13112015/

Why do companies limit their userbase so much *sigh*

They even have other Caribbean countries on the list...but not mine of course.

Apparently, the other regions are going to have their own server(s) as well in the future, according to them.
For any territory not mentioned above there may be different channels offered in the future.
But I wouldn't put my bet on it.

Just to stop this P2W talk from a couple people, yes the KR version is heavy P2W, however the US devs have already said they chose to go the B2P route for this game instead of the F2P for a reason, they will avoid all P2W shit in the store. Our version will be strictly cosmetic, extra inventory slots, etc just like ESO is how they put it. They confirmed ages ago they will avoid what the KR version does.

Extra inventory slots isn't exactly a cosmetic thing.

Ryan_

anyone has any idea where I can still find a beta key?
reddit is swarming and the mmosite contest is down atm.

Fuz

Banned
Tried the character creator. Pretty great, too bad I suck at it and get only very generic looks :\ Also... why there is no plain brown for hair color? That's baffling.
Unfortunately, I really don't like the classes (no assassin?) and I really don't like that they're tied to gender. Very... weird design decision.
Also, since it's b2p, I really don't trust the in game shop to be fair.
And since I didn't get a key for the beta and can't try before I but, I think I'll pass. Shame. But I'm having fun somewhere else, anyway.

Edit:
extra inventory slots
And that's it. This is ok for a F2P, but not for a B2P.

Twookie

guild wars 2 did this and it wasn't too bad since it gave you plenty from the start

then again it had a collectible tab where you could send all craftable/ingrendient items to directly from your inventory

will have to see how much space they give you from the get go before i'll rage about it

guild wars 2 did this and it wasn't too bad since it gave you plenty from the start

then again it had a collectible tab where you could send all craftable/ingrendient items to directly from your inventory

will have to see how much space they give you from the get go before i'll rage about it

Does it matter what some other game is doing? Point is, some people are saying that the microtransactions are just there for cosmetic stuff. That is not the case.

You could buy cash shop money with gold right away in GW2 though, can you do that in BDO also? I mean, if you can, and assuming the conversion isn't totally dumb, I find it acceptable, it's not different than wow having you pay gold to unlock your bank or buy bags to put in your empty bag slots(although these go toward other players instead). Don't know if wow still does this shit, but it used to. As long as I can buy it with ingame gold, I'm fine with cash shop stuff, more or less.

GW2 also gave a good amount of base space, I think the only thing I bought was a bank slot or whatever, so I had more room there, and it didn't even cost that much, I didn't have to farm for it, I bought it with some of the gold I got while leveling.

They apparently will have the cash shop up in CBT2, so I guess we'll see how it goes. But if it's B2P and I'm expected to spend money on it on top, well, yeah, that's not gonna be fine.

WarMacheen

Finally got a key. Downloading tonight and I have much more time to invest this go round.

Also I didn't really like buying inventory slots in GW2, but considering there is no monthly fee, I can see where they are coming from. It's the one thing people are most likely to purchase, especially as their levels go up

Twookie

Does it matter what some other game is doing? Point is, some people are saying that the microtransactions are just there for cosmetic stuff. That is not the case.

yeah you're right, I meant to quote Fuz's post and not yours, whoops.

You could buy cash shop money with gold right away in GW2 though, can you do that in BDO also? I mean, if you can, and assuming the conversion isn't totally dumb, I find it acceptable, it's not different than wow having you pay gold to unlock your bank or buy bags to put in your empty bag slots(although these go toward other players instead). Don't know if wow still does this shit, but it used to. As long as I can buy it with ingame gold, I'm fine with cash shop stuff, more or less.

GW2 also gave a good amount of base space, I think the only thing I bought was a bank slot or whatever, so I had more room there, and it didn't even cost that much, I didn't have to farm for it, I bought it with some of the gold I got while leveling.

They apparently will have the cash shop up in CBT2, so I guess we'll see how it goes. But if it's B2P and I'm expected to spend money on it on top, well, yeah, that's not gonna be fine.

no idea if BD is going to have a currency that you can buy with both gold and real money(I doubt honestly). we need to see how much space the game gives you from the start before we start going nuts over this. if the game forces you to buy more space with real money, then yeah that's going to be a real problem.

Jayhawk

I posted this link a while ago on the CBT1 thread on their plans for the NA/EU version of the cash shop. http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/8038-pm-diary-22-cash-shop-and-more/

Their team has also been emphasizing avoiding P2W for the NA/EU version in all their interviews for the past year.

What I liked about CBT1 was that they listened to the feedback and announced nice changes because of the feedback.

It was also revealed recently that they have 330k+ pre-orders so far.

Somnia

Which is common in most cash stores, by P2W were talking buying in game armor and weapons, etc.

This game gives you plenty of inventory space, plus your mounts can carry loot, you can also rent a wagon with horses to hold additional loot for you in game. There are plenty of inventory slots, this is just an added thing if you want to spend money. There's no real reason too unless you want to blow cash.

Also if you notice on the above link, alot of the items available in the cash shop can be bought with mileage earned by playing the game.

Why do companies limit their userbase so much *sigh*

They even have other Caribbean countries on the list...but not mine of course.

They are bound by licensing agreements, it's not as if they are purposely excluding countries or regions. It sucks for people who are left out but there is little the publisher in a certain region can do about it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
You get a lot of inventory slot upgrades by doing quests. Lots of quests actually flat out don't even give you xp but things like that, or contribution points which you need for gathering etc.

I've been reading dev blogs and scouring the internet for news ever since BDO caught my eye, i'm pretty sure the devs have said themselves that it's going B2P so that it won't rely on P2W/ F2P cash shop elements

Nibiru

Banned
I picked up the $99 package. Seems like a decent value. I don't have as much time to play MMO's much anymore but this one drew me in. There are also things to do while afk which is cool. The graphics are crazy too. Twitch streams don't give it justice at all. I played the KR version a little and it is shocking how beautiful it is.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I've been reading dev blogs and scouring the internet for news ever since BDO caught my eye, i'm pretty sure the devs have said themselves that it's going B2P so that it won't rely on P2W/ F2P cash shop elements

i played the russian version, which is f2p, and in character creator i immediately noticed that like 75% of the hairstyles and stuff were behind a paywall. they weren't in the us creator.

Dead

well not really...yet
Bought the $99 pre order package cause why the fuck not. Downloading the client now. WIsh it started today though as I'm home most of the day :(

Ashodin

You get a lot of inventory slot upgrades by doing quests. Lots of quests actually flat out don't even give you xp but things like that, or contribution points which you need for gathering etc.

This needs to be stated again. The game itself upgrades your inventory as you quest, just buying the inventory slots in the cash shop is a convenience item.

Clearos

Wish this and the division were not coming out so close together. This looks like it could fill that void that GW2 filled for so long.

LOLCats

Banned
got a closed beta key. But really have some concerns about how well this game is doing in Korea and some of the stories i've read about PVP system problems and lack of PVE end game content.

I'll give it a try, but i'm playing BnS right now...

Ashodin

I mean ragefest, PVE in this game is what you make of it. It's not based around raiding and dungeons, but about living a life in a realized world. You can parkour up to the tallest tower and see far far away, then pick a spot and go there. (within reason, of course)

I bought a key on ebay for $8 if anyone is desperate. I always miss those giveaways and not risking $50 to preorder. If I like it I'll buy the $30 package.

Ferr986

How are the melee attacks on ranger? I see she has daggers as a weapon too but every video I see they never use them.

Honestly, I feel like I may like the sorcerer better (more melee based while still being fast and agile)... but I like the ranger chars more lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
got a closed beta key. But really have some concerns about how well this game is doing in Korea and some of the stories i've read about PVP system problems and lack of PVE end game content.

I'll give it a try, but i'm playing BnS right now...

The PvP system punishes players to the extreme in Korea because Korean players aren't as big on PvP as the US is. The karma system is being reworked for release here to be more subtle.

As far as end game, it is largely open ended. If you are the type that likes to queue up for instanced dungeons and raids over and over to get better gear so you can do harder versions of the other dungeons and raids, this isn't that game. If you are the type to go out searching for some remote nodes that you can get a good supply chain back to your city where you have outfitted and upgraded all of your workers so you can turn a huge profit with which you use to buy the last few upgrades you need before the saturday city battles start, then this is your game.

How are the melee attacks on ranger? I see she has daggers as a weapon too but every video I see they never use them.

Honestly, I feel like I may like the sorcerer better (more melee based while still being fast and agile)... but I like the ranger chars more lol

You will be wanting to stay out of melee range as much as possible if you are a Ranger, ESPECIALLY in PvP. Don't ever, ever, ever let a Berserker or something get close to you or it is lights out.

Jayhawk

Try and play both! With how energy will work in this game where your family shares a cap but each character has their own supply, your experience will improve if you have multiple characters to increase your energy cap and to also do something when you're out of energy on one character.

Ashodin

You have to understand, the game is like a fighting game - the game has a combo system with L/R mouse click + WASD. You chain together attacks and use the 1/2/3/4 + as extra abilities in your attacks.

I've been looking for information, and I think melee attacks for the Ranger come from moving backwards and hitting left click. So it's a "get away from me" type of attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom