• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online Now Available on Steam

How is this game with a controller?

I want a new controller MMO but don't want to pay the FFXIV monthly fee

It's playable with a controller. There are lots of shortcuts and combinations like in FFXIV. However, mouse cursor is still required for some UI elements. Though you can use your controller as a mouse, it may still be quite a hassle. General gameplay like questing and exploration are perfectly fine with a controller from what I've played so far.

cripterion

You need to realise you are burned out on this type of game. Nothing is likely to change so maybe stop trying to get into them wishing they would recreate that feeling you used to get.

Yup I think you're on point.
I had high hopes for Everquest Next but alas that went down too. Keeping an eye out for Ashes of Creation and Crowfall but yeah, I mostly get my kicks in other game genre nowadays.

Freeman76

Yup I think you're on point.
I had high hopes for Everquest Next but alas that went down too. Keeping an eye out for Ashes of Creation and Crowfall but yeah, I mostly get my kicks in other game genre nowadays.

I do the same thing trying to get the magic of PSO on DC/GC era, but nothing comes close so I gave up looking lol

Mephala

Really wanted to like this but it's just so uninteresting. Was bored to tears during the the beginning, black smoke thing mechanic felt ridiculous. Don't know how to describe it but it just feels messy. Character creator is really nice though, a shame all the cool costumes are locked behind real money.

All in all, It's insane that after so many years passed, none of the current mmo's manage to capture the feeling of DaoC, EQ 2, Asheron's Call 2 and early WoW, had so much fun back then. Even Guild Wars was nice but nothing after that came to touching those experiences for me.

I tend to have this problem too but sometimes I think its just me. MMOs always needed a longer play time for me to actually settle in and get a feel of it. Otherwise I'm just comparing the "highs" of previous experiences to the "lows" of new MMOs which is frankly ridiculous. It isn't always about end game but the slow path of getting there, the experiences along the way are different in all the games I've tried. When I think back to my favourite games, I somehow nostalgia goggle even the worse parts of like "I killed 21 Lao Shan Lungs before I got my first ruby... But the rush when I did was totally worth it." Every time I play a new MMO these days I'm not looking for the same sort of feeling or experiences. I'm actually just running around all random trying to find different and fun experiences that is outside the typical stuff.

I sort of found a bit here in BDO with the exploration and other elements.

I must have bought about 10 costumes off the marketplace so far. It isn't a good system but it isn't the worst I've seen and I sort of prefer it to a lot of the bot ridden games I've experienced.

jrcbandit

Does the game play okay on a mechanical hard drive? Don't want to take up too much space on my SSD since I think I only have 60 GB free disk space. Is it best to just get the $6 pack and buy a pet with real money for auto loot? Or is the $30 pack as good deal with pet, inventory space, permanent flute, etc. The $17 pack doesn't sound very good with only a T3 horse and 8 increased inventory spaces.

garath

I'm sure one of the packs is a better deal but I have no idea if I'm going to be interested at all. $6 was a good price to check it out.

Took me 30min to make my char after the hours of downloading 50gigs though lol. Worst part was naming. Seems like everything under the sun is taken.

Mephala

Does the game play okay on a mechanical hard drive? Don't want to take up too much space on my SSD since I think I only have 60 GB free disk space. Is it best to just get the $6 pack and buy a pet with real money for auto loot? Or is the $30 pack as good deal with pet, inventory space, permanent flute, etc. The $17 pack doesn't sound very good with only a T3 horse and 8 increased inventory spaces.

I only recently switched to SSD for the game. I got about 5 characters to Lv56 but didn't really PvP... I might be a bad example though because I was under minimum specs for the CPU. >_>

I think Traveller's package (middle price) is probably the best one. It gives you the pet of choice and +8 inventory slots which is great but it also throws in a 30 day value pack which is fantastic.

Value pack gives
  • Free change to character appearance
  • Merv's palette (free armor dye)
  • Bonus XP (combat, skill and life skills, stacks with everything else)
  • Increase carry weight by 100
    [*]increase character inventory by 16 slots
    [*]Increase all town storage space by 16 slots
And some other conveniences like letting you invest in nodes via map.
At the beginning the bolded 3 is really helpful. The XP bonus will push your leveling through the roof. Especially when stacked with Olvia server bonus.

Both the pet and value pack are highly sought after on the market place. They are cheap in terms of in game currency but a pain to get because the market bidding system is RNG.

Mithos

I got the middle pack but I can't find my free pet and horse. Where are they?

In your account, on the website, MAKE SURE to send them to the correct servers and character when you transfer them to in-game.
You should get them through an in-game mail within 24hrs, can be super fast or take time.

ALSO
Everyone should login and check their accounts now and then on the website, sometimes you get gifts.

Zomba13

Decided to get it as it was only £4.19 on Steam and I did kind of enjoy what I played ages ago on a trial. Is there a GAF EU server or anything?

Really wanted to like this but it's just so uninteresting. Was bored to tears during the the beginning, black smoke thing mechanic felt ridiculous. Don't know how to describe it but it just feels messy. Character creator is really nice though, a shame all the cool costumes are locked behind real money.

All in all, It's insane that after so many years passed, none of the current mmo's manage to capture the feeling of DaoC, EQ 2, Asheron's Call 2 and early WoW, had so much fun back then. Even Guild Wars was nice but nothing after that came to touching those experiences for me.

Give it another chance mate. Your experiences mirror mine, and a lot of others. The game feels so obtuse, complicated, random and unhinged in the beginning that it is immensely off putting.

It takes a real stab at wanting to understand this game. It doesn't operate on many of the same parameters you know from other games, and it's not trying to recapture the feel of DAOC, EQ2, AC2 or Early WoW. But I can tell you- If you do get over the hurdle and begin to understand how the game operates and why it does, it is immensely rewarding.

But that is not to say that the game is not frustrating. Technical and gameplay issues both are a major problem, with more than several being potential dealbreakers.
But a lot of people are embracing this game because, it's very different, it's very very good at what it does, and because it's a really fun game once you understand it.

The major problem is that the games introduction does it best to set you up to quit.

This game doesn't have a real end game or purpose. There are no raids or dungeons or the like.
It's more like a personal never ending Dynasty Warriors/Soul Calibur/Harvest Moon/Ultima Online MMO/Action/Survival hybrid. Instead of having you run the same dungeons/raids/quests until you quit, you simply slay monsters. It's exactly the same framework, and it's exactly as meaningful /meaningless as any other MMO. It's just boxed and served differently.

The "black smoke thing" you mentioned is a quite interesting contraption and it ends up being a lot less annoying later. It basically serves as a bread crumb delivery machine. If you're new and don't know how, what and where, you can do its quests. It' guides you around the world, it feeds you some good gear, some inventory expansion and other things. But you can ignore it if you want to.

The game has a very deep and complex combat system with a lot of depth, that will take many hundreds of hours to get good at. It rewards people who don't put the skills on the hotbar with more damage, and hidden quick activations. The game has animation cancels, combos, and a really good synergy of blocks, grabs, CCs and more. This is the first time we've seen a 100% action MMO that is not stilted or watered down because of it.

At the same time, this is also a crafting and empire building game for people who hate that. In the game, it's called "passive income" and "worker empire" and essentially, just as important as levelling, so is your energy level and your contribution level. Energy is raised by interacting with everything in the game world and it highly rewards exploration. Contribution is driven by particpating in the quest. Getting more contribution allows for a lot of strategic planning, buying of estates, buying workers.
Essentially, while you're out fighting, you have an army of people taking care of getting resources for you. You use them to buy stables, crafting houses, storage, and you can do all sorts of things with it.

A lot of people miss out on it, thinking this is just some blade and soul esque thing where the end game is just getting a high combat level. But that will leave your character compromised in lots of ways.

Like GW2, it's very much a game about defining your own goals. Some people spend 200 hours on getting the supplies to build a durable little fishing ship. Others go for buying an entire town, others focus all their efforts on better combat gears, others on better crafting gears. Nothing is soulbound, nothing is gear dependent. You can equip a lvl 1 with end game top of the line armor. The game is balls-to-the-walls different from anything else. It's not a themepark and it's not really a sandbox. It's just its completely own thing, and it really requires one to approach it as something that is not comparable to the games you've played in the past.

You will not get that out of it. It doesn't feel like a MMO in that sense. But then again it feels like more of a MMO than so many other MMOs for its other aspects. The way towns have isolated economies, the way the world is insanely huge with no loading screens and completely seamless. The way death is meaningful and exciting. And while the story is shit, and translation pathethic, the world gives a wonderlust that is immense.

It's really really freaking cool, but it's so disruptive because it will literally require you to sit down and watch youtube guides to how to understand nodes, workers, trade, crafting, processing, enchanting, failstatacking, horses, hidden stats, alt characters, energy, karma, and so on.

Instead of treating this game like something where you expect to get out of it what you normally would from a MMORPG with a guild that does end game instanced repeatable scenarios of various sizes and difficulties, see it more as if it was an online MMO fighting game that allowed you to just move around in that space and do some cool side stuff.
In BDO you're often working on your own. and everyone has different goals. For a lot of people lvl 56 is the goal. Get their awakening and then after that they will just play to manage their passive income, improving their gear and have fun. The benefits to level up your character really stops at lvl 57, maybe 58 has a few improvements but its "ehh" compared to the insane time investment.

You're not gonna be on a equal footing in pvp. You're not gonna stand up to the hardcore grinders. the game is just a uneven chaotic mass of ideas that become amazing, when you do what you want to do. The game doesn't hook you in or tell you to do this. It's a game about currency. Money is everything, and you have people who are crafting 100% who are making a fortune and buying the best gear in the game.

It's less like a MMORPG, and more like a hobby project. like you'll build your characters over years. tiny inch by inch. The game rewards casual play through afk-ing, where you can auto fish, or increase your characters stamina or strength by auto pathing around to increase their finesse or load limit. So it's very much a game of becoming what you make of it.

But it's not some WoW thing where you get a instant gratification thing with a participation trophy for failing and being mediocre. The world feels alive and dangerous because death is more fierce. The world feels more real because you cannot just summon a horse out of your ass or teleport your to whatever city you want whenever you want. Everything has weight, and these logistics that are annoying turn into strategic gameplay you have to deal with.

The game is also highly dramatic, and gives rise to betrayal. You can use npc spys to look up a player who has wronged you and hunt them down, you can kill others peoples mounts, you can try and flip the market for effect for your own advantage, you can be a community sensation by failing spectacularly in the enchanting process.
For so many of us who just cannot give a shit anymore about these low-effort, low-risk MMORPGs where death is meaningless, and where everything has to be so fucking fair to satisfy, which just makes the game completely unsurprising and uninteresting and undramatic, BDO is a breathe of fresh air.

It has a tons of things about it, mechanically, and technically and design wise where I tell it to go fuck itself. But the game is genuinely fanatastic. It's a massive massive disruptive game in a sea of stagnation.

Try and see this video by Fevir; It explains why people often either hate it or love it.

What makes Black Desert Special?

I know so many people including myself who came around to the game once they understood the poorly explained mechanics and systems. Don't let that throw you off. Not all great things are immediately accessable and rewarding. This game needs to warm you up first. The game is auto pilot in the beginning as the mobs don't really pose a challenge.
It doesn't show its true colors until later.

IDK, GAF.

I jumped in with the wife (both of us play the majority of MMOs) and she lost interest in half an hour.

UI is super ugly, poorly translated, a bunch of go here kill x quests so far.

Leveling isn't an experience, it's just a number. There's no fanfare! Where's my DING?

Mephala

This is a great write up. I'd say that for later PvE, it becomes more like an action adventure game than a fighter. You dash around killing weak enemies or properly fighting enemies at your difficulty. You explore, you quest and collect things that you may find useful.

IDK, GAF.

I jumped in with the wife (both of us play the majority of MMOs) and she lost interest in half an hour.

UI is super ugly, poorly translated, a bunch of go here kill x quests so far.

Leveling isn't an experience, it's just a number. There's no fanfare! Where's my DING?

I was only really enjoying the feel of combat at first. The rest of the game slowly opened up and took me in over time.

Mini ding at 50, proper ding at 56 and fanfares there after.
Dings for contribution points because we all need those.
Dings for life skill increases.
Dings surviving the ocean or discovering cool places.

Ding when it all clicks together. Racing for higher levels didn't give me any real feelings at all since it was so quick and mostly so easy. I wasn't learning anything, just enjoy fighting hordes of enemies. Doing boss scrolls was kind of fun. When I hit about 54, leveling slowed right down. Enemies got a decent difficulty spike and I had to pay more attention, think about what skills to use and work out which to avoid for specific enemies. At this point I started doing other things since leveling was slower and I needed other things to help progression. This actually made me enjoy the game far more but at the beginning I was completely directionless and just throwing myself at the next mobs of enemies.

Auraela

Banned
soooo ive found a huge glitch,

buy the traveler bundle and log into game, refund the game and traveler pack, wait for funds, then buy the game with the explorer bundle and log into game, ths time go to the claim section and you will see they havent took the traveler bundle from account, claim both the traveler and explorer items, then refund again and just buy the game individually for the £4 price and u keep the packages above

Dunkley

Gave it a go on sale.

Played till Level 20 and gotta say, I really am not invested. Probably will drop in from time to time but this definitely doesn't feel like an MMO that's for me. Still worth it for char creator, made some of my OCs in it and I think it's gonna be useful as an art reference.

Mephala

Sounds like exploiting. I mean, if you're lucky and get away with it, sure but generally in MMOs I've experienced if they find out they just ban the account for stuff like this. I've lost f2p accounts but I generally wouldn't risk my steam tied one. Good luck!

Zomba13

Well. I had it like 75% downloaded yesterday through steam but then had to go so turned my computer off expecting the download to pick up where it left off today like every other download through Steam but nope. Redownloading from scratch. Another 5 hours of downloading...

Mexen

116 hours on the character customization screen alone. Good luck, new comers, mua ha aha ha ha ha ha haha ha haha ha

zdenko1

Got the 5€ package during weekend and I'm so far really liking it. Character creator is just insane and combat is pretty great and very responsive. I have 1 question though:
  • I tried to take 8K screenshots but every time I press print screen, camera just rotates in totally different direction and ruins the shot. How do I prevent that?

Mooreberg

soooo ive found a huge glitch,

buy the traveler bundle and log into game, refund the game and traveler pack, wait for funds, then buy the game with the explorer bundle and log into game, ths time go to the claim section and you will see they havent took the traveler bundle from account, claim both the traveler and explorer items, then refund again and just buy the game individually for the £4 price and u keep the packages above
Can they revoke this later when they realize they have made a mistake?

What exactly can you get up to with just the $5.99 version?

Hubb

Is the 6 dollar version worth it? Also how grindy or P2w is this?

6 dollar version is fine, game is very grindy. There is P2W in the game, though people will disagree with me. There is no way to pay XYZ amount of dollars and get the best gear, but there are small advantages you can get that you can't get without paying.

Momentary

Banned
I'm was thinking between this and Final Fantasy XIV. Seems like I see this P2W talk come up a lot with this game. But with FFXIV you have to pay monthly. Is that how much this game costs per month to maintain "perks" I'm guessing? Cause if that's the case then I might check this out.

6 dollar version is fine, game is very grindy. There is P2W in the game, though people will disagree with me. There is no way to pay XYZ amount of dollars and get the best gear, but there are small advantages you can get that you can't get without paying.
How hard it is to get top of the line gear?

Hubb

I'm was thinking between this and Final Fantasy XIV. Seems like I see this P2W talk come up a lot with this game. But with FFXIV you have to pay monthly. Is that how much this game costs per month to maintain "perks" I'm guessing? Cause if that's the case then I might check this out.

There is a "value pack"(subscription type thing), but that isn't really part of the P2W. Though it does let you pay less taxes on the things you sell at the Marketplace.

I wouldn't let the P2W decide whether you play this or FFXIV, they are two very different beasts. What are you looking to get out of a MMO?

How hard it is to get top of the line gear?

This isn't easy to answer. The game is extremely luck based. The top of the line gear is "boss gear", and you could theoretically participate in the boss fights at any level. Unless things have changed, the loot tables for bosses are something like top XYZ damage dealers get loot and then a random number of other people who attacked the boss get loot. Getting loot from a boss doesn't mean you are going to get the armor/weapon from it.

Then getting the armor is just a small part. The way to strengthen your gear is through enchanting it. This is basically your gold sink in the game. You need an item to enchant the gear, but it is really easy to get those. The real luck/time consuming/money part is that it can fail, and once it fails you lose durability on your weapon. You repair the gear using either the same type of gear or a kind of expensive item.

Now you can enchant all the way to +15 and then it starts counting PRI - DUO - TRI - TET - PEN. Once your piece of gear gets to DUO, every fail you lose an enchant. Making getting beyond DUO not easy. The higher enchanted the piece is the worse odds you have for enchanting it. The rarer the piece of gear the worse chance you have at enchanting it.

Ah, and if you fail at enchanting your accessories they just blow up and just lose that accessory. By far my least favorite thing about gear in this game. I suppose the offset to all of this, is there is no level requirement for gear and basically everything but weapons can be swapped between all of your characters.

Momentary

Banned
There is a "value pack"(subscription type thing), but that isn't really part of the P2W. Though it does let you pay less taxes on the things you sell at the Marketplace.

I wouldn't let the P2W decide whether you play this or FFXIV, they are two very different beasts. What are you looking to get out of a MMO?

A good story mostly.

Freeman76

I wouldn't play this for a good story. It kind of has a story, but nothing like FF14/GW2. This is more exploration, PVP, and I think RP.

Well I play it a lot like a Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley type game which doesnt fall into any of those categories.

Laiza

Don't wanna clog the OT with my ranting, but I really feel the need to rant.

This game really feels like it's doing everything it can to turn me off right off the bat, starting right-off with the character creation:

• Ridiculously sexist costume designs, right down to that ridiculous Korean obsession with forcing every female character into high heels
  • Body sliders that don't do enough, especially when it comes to the breasts, where the minimum size is a C-cup or a D-cup for everyone but the Tamer
  • Separate character models for each class (???), with a noticeable disparity between male characters and female characters
I haven't even gotten past the character creation yet, but frankly, I'm not sure if I will. It's really hard for me to get into a game where I can literally only play one class with a character model I can actually stand to look at for more than a few minutes at a time. And that really bothers me, because it honestly is a very pretty game and I can see a lot of the potential in it from what I've seen of it elsewhere.

I'll mess around with it more when I get home, but damn, talk about disappointing.

Mephala

Don't wanna clog the OT with my ranting, but I really feel the need to rant.

This game really feels like it's doing everything it can to turn me off right off the bat, starting right-off with the character creation:

• Ridiculously sexist costume designs, right down to that ridiculous Korean obsession with forcing every female character into high heels
  • Body sliders that don't do enough, especially when it comes to the breasts, where the minimum size is a C-cup or a D-cup for everyone but the Tamer
  • Separate character models for each class (???), with a noticeable disparity between male characters and female characters
I haven't even gotten past the character creation yet, but frankly, I'm not sure if I will. It's really hard for me to get into a game where I can literally only play one class with a character model I can actually stand to look at for more than a few minutes at a time. And that really bothers me, because it honestly is a very pretty game and I can see a lot of the potential in it from what I've seen of it elsewhere.

I'll mess around with it more when I get home, but damn, talk about disappointing.

Totally agree with you on many points. I absolutely hate the heels and have ranted a good bit on the official forums with other players.

Maehwa default armors doesn't have heels.
bdo-grunil-maehwa-armor-2.jpg
bdo-talis-maehwa-armor-2.jpg

Some of the Sorceress too.
2016-02-26_73171130.jpg
2016-02-26_73148347.jpg

Kunoichi has some boots in there too if I remember correctly.

Mae/Sorc are my two mains mostly because I think they look the best. For costumes you can't escape the heels without being a Tamer but you can often turn off/hide the foot wear costume.

Avoid Valkyrie. -_- That most recent jousting costume looked fine until I saw the chest in motion.

As for the character size and shape. The creator is the best I've seen yet the random limits they have on it is a little frustrating. It just didn't make sense to me. I do hope you manage to find a way to enjoy the game though.

Top Bottom