• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online |OT| Come on in, the sand's fine [Mediah Update]

Mephala

Launcher is updating without error at the moment. Not sure if its done patching as mine is still downloading.
Edit. Nope! Not ready yet.
Edit 2. Game is live!

Thanks! I think I'll level fishing next.

I reached Artisan on gathering (and processing), but doesn't feel like it's any different, other than energy usage, still same low % drops and basically the same drops. Doesn't look to be very profitable on it's own.

You get some more items usually. So if I'm logging pine, I might get 1 log, 1 pine log per tree at lower ranks of gathering but as I get higher it goes to 2 logs, 3 pines, 1 old tree bark etc. Processing is the same, you get a bit more at higher ranks.

Ferr986

You get some more items usually. So if I'm logging pine, I might get 1 log, 1 pine log per tree at lower ranks of gathering but as I get higher it goes to 2 logs, 3 pines, 1 old tree bark etc. Processing is the same, you get a bit more at higher ranks.

Yeah but it feels a little underwelming :( I dont see it very profitable if you need some money. Gotta take a look at processing, the extra procs are more noticable there.

btw, Mystic trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXy5XSofmKI

Mephala

Yeah but it feels a little underwelming :( I dont see it very profitable if you need some money. Gotta take a look at processing, the extra procs are more noticable there.

btw, Mystic trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXy5XSofmKI

When you go from 0-1 log to 1-3 logs per tree is amazing when you need 50k logs or something it feels like a pretty big deal.
If you're gathering in hopes to get Hards/Sharps and things like that then what you want is Magic or Lucky tools.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Thanks! I think I'll level fishing next.

I reached Artisan on gathering (and processing), but doesn't feel like it's any different, other than energy usage, still same low % drops and basically the same drops. Doesn't look to be very profitable on it's own.

The higher your Gathering rank, you gain a higher chance to not use any energy during a gathering attempt. Combine that with a higher returns per attempt, throw in a hedgehog, max out your luck stat, and yeah good times.

Gin-Shiio

Today introduced a whole lot of things I want in the pearl shop. What a dilemma. The 20% coupon even makes the Welcome Package worth a 2nd look.

I've been debating trying this game for a LONG time now. I see on Steam it's 6.99 or 29.99 and upward from there. Would I be missing anything vital in the 6.99 version or is it basically all superficial stuff I can buy from grinding?

Mephala

I've been debating trying this game for a LONG time now. I see on Steam it's 6.99 or 29.99 and upward from there. Would I be missing anything vital in the 6.99 version or is it basically all superficial stuff I can buy from grinding?

A lot of it is convenience items. A lot of items can be obtained in game but it is usually tied to the market place/auction house and it is RNG whether you get a bid on an item or not. You see items all the time but winning a bid is hard and entirely luck based.

The value pack, adds inventory space, carry weight and a few other luxuries while it is active.
The pet is permanent and will pick up loot for you when fed.

Ferr986

Today introduced a whole lot of things I want in the pearl shop. What a dilemma. The 20% coupon even makes the Welcome Package worth a 2nd look.

I am STILL waiting for the armored cat pet. The fuck is going on with it? It's been months since it was released in KR :(

A lot of it is convenience items. A lot of items can be obtained in game but it is usually tied to the market place/auction house and it is RNG whether you get a bid on an item or not. You see items all the time but winning a bid is hard and entirely luck based.

The value pack, adds inventory space, carry weight and a few other luxuries while it is active.
The pet is permanent and will pick up loot for you when fed.

Hmmmm. So the bonus is only temporary anyway unless subscribed to a microtransaction system I'm guessing? Since I'm not really the type to do subscribing I guess that makes the low value pack make the most sense to me.

Could I for instance grind to buy a pet to cover my loot responsibilities? They're not tied to a premium currency?

It's just looking at a few reviews last night one of them mentioned having to spend $40 almost immediately to be able to get loot efficiently. I figure that could easily be hyperbole but thought I'd check in here first.

Fwiw I don't really plan on maxing out anyway. I just like the idea of a huge MMO where I can be a small piece. I'm likely to spend large portions of my time just doing the lifestyle stuff.

Ferr986

Hmmmm. So the bonus is only temporary anyway unless subscribed to a microtransaction system I'm guessing? Since I'm not really the type to do subscribing I guess that makes the low value pack make the most sense to me.

Could I for instance grind to buy a pet to cover my loot responsibilities? They're not tied to a premium currency?

It's just looking at a few reviews last night one of them mentioned having to spend $40 almost immediately to be able to get loot efficiently. I figure that could easily be hyperbole but thought I'd check in here first.

Fwiw I don't really plan on maxing out anyway. I just like the idea of a huge MMO where I can be a small piece. I'm likely to spend large portions of my time just doing the lifestyle stuff.

Pets, costumes or value packs can be bought from players at the Marketplace for regular money, so yes you can grind money, and they are not that expensive.
The only problem you'll face is the big competition, supply is low and demand is high so the items fly from the MP in seconds.

Pets, costumes or value packs can be bought from players at the Marketplace for regular money, so yes you can grind money, and they are not that expensive.
The only problem you'll face is the big competition, supply is low and demand is high so the items fly from the MP in seconds.

I'm fine with that to be honest. I guess I'll be giving this a shot sometime soon then!

Sykotik

I'm fine with that to be honest. I guess I'll be giving this a shot sometime soon then!

Just to add to this. Yes, you can buy value packs, pets and costumes with in-game silver, but it is exceedingly difficult, less so for costumes, which are still rare. When the micro-transaction items (pearl items) are put up for auction, every player at the market place can choose to bid on the item, and the game randomly chooses one player out of everyone that bid to give the option to confirm purchase.

I've not once gotten a value pack, or a pet, off the auction house. I've been playing a little over 2 months. Costumes are a bit more manageable, and I've gotten around 10 of those.

Not to say that this is terrible, it's just the way it is, and technically you can get them with in-game currency.

The main value in Value Packs, in my opinion, is the boost in income you receive when selling items on the market place. It turns a 35% tax into a ~15% tax. The rest of the stuff is give or take with me, though the permanent armor dye and character customization is really nice.

I went up to the mid 50s without pets. I never want to do that again. You are constantly bending over to loot enemies if you don't have pets. Yes, they're expensive for what they are, but if you know what it's like without them, and then get them, you'll realize they're worth it.

I'll break down the Explorer's Pack.

2x 30 day Value Packs - $30. Helpful, but not very necessary early game. Bonus inventory does help at an early level, reduced auction house tax at high level.

10x Ellion's Blessing - $4.50. A waste to use these early game. More useful at end-game as they restore lost experience points when you die, which can translate to hours of time.

1x Tier 5 horse - ~500k silver. Very nice to have in the beginning, but really not a reason to buy the pack, as 500k silver is about 3 days of House Fame income alone, which you get automatically each day, and is really a minimal amount even at a low level. Though, you'll still have to nab the horse on the market.

x1 pet of choice - $9-$11. Pets are one of the best quality-of-life purchases in the game. They pick up loot for you, so you don't have to bend over after every enemy you kill. That said, x1 of them isn't going to be that great, but that does mean you only need 3 more.

2x character slots - $12. Not quite that important, but having more characters is an advantage, as characters have a limited resource called energy which you can spend doing various things such as gathering. Nice to have, but low on the priority list.

1x +16 inventory - $14.50. Useful early game, but you do gain inventory space fairly quickly if you do the main quest, which is very easy until high level.

1x Horse Flute - $15. I have one of these and I've never bothered to use it. I assume it can helpful, but considering I've leveled multiple characters to 56+ and I don't feel the need to use it, I'll say it's not that important.

5x Housing Decorations - ~$19. The most useful thing this gives is being able to get a bed early, which allows you to regenerate energy more quickly if you rest at it. Really not that important, and not worth buying the pack for.

1x Life Clothes - 300-600k silver. While useful, not worth paying real money for and easily obtainable in game.

So for $50, you end up with a mixed bag of ~$100 and 1mil. silver worth of in-game stuff, some useful, some really not-so-useful. And then you'll probably want to spend another $33 (actually $40 because there's only increments of $10) to get 3 more pets. But, if you wait until this goes on sale it becomes much more attractive at $30.

There is an in-game promo pack offer for ~$55 after 20% off coupon ($60, because of $10 increments). It includes a 30 day value pack, 3 pets, +16 inventory, a costume, and a weight discount coupon, which after you buy that will come to around $64 ($70).

Phew, sorry for the large post that was probably covered much better somewhere else.

Lorcain

And then you'll probably want to spend another $33 (actually $40 because there's only increments of $10) to get 3 more pets. But, if you wait until this goes on sale it becomes much more attractive at $30.
Is there an advantage to quality of life in having more than 1 pet?

Sykotik

Is there an advantage to quality of life in having more than 1 pet?

Yes, because you can have up to 4 pets out at the same time, all picking up stuff for you.

They also have different abilities based on type. Such as highlighting gather points, enemy players, elite enemies, etc. Most also give a % bonus to a form of EXP.

Thanks a bunch! Gives me a much better idea of what's actually included for the extra cash. I guess the review about needing 4 pets has some level of authenticity then if you're looking to get the best experience out of it.

I guess perhaps since I've never really found an MMO I could properly get into maybe it's best to stick to the low price entry but be prepared to invest a bit more for pets over time if I plan on sticking with it.

Thanks for the invite to the GAF guild.

Managed to get to level 20 and I got a donkey.

n5OV2x.jpg

Sykotik

I guess perhaps since I've never really found an MMO I could properly get into maybe it's best to stick to the low price entry but be prepared to invest a bit more for pets over time if I plan on sticking with it.

Yeah, I'd say that's a good plan. I actually bought the explorer's pack after I had already purchased the base game. I don't know if it's intended to be able to do so, but the way I did it was I removed the base game from my steam account and then re-purchased the explorer's pack. Worked fine, still had all my progress.

Rimark

Neo Member

You won't really need the pets until later in the game anyway. You're right, I'd say go in at bottom price and buy some pets weight etc. If you feel you want to keep playing after 50.

Freeman76

Yeah, I'd say that's a good plan. I actually bought the explorer's pack after I had already purchased the base game. I don't know if it's intended to be able to do so, but the way I did it was I removed the base game from my steam account and then re-purchased the explorer's pack. Worked fine, still had all my progress.

Exactly what I did. Having pets is really useful in this game, ita not essential but having 3 or 4 makes it much better as you dont need to manually loot

Ferr986

Just went to Port Ratt for the first time.... is this really all of it? I can't even go out of the port to explore the island. Hell half the port seems blocked!

Me two months ago.
But here I am now:

Finally hit 56 yesterday and got my Grunil set up to DUO today. Really enjoing the game.

Nice job! My gear isn't that much better and I've been playing for longer lol

Just fyi, the mainhand gives some secret AP to your awakening weapon too! It doesn't show in the menu but it's there.

Gin-Shiio

That sucks, place has potential, love the aesthetics but it's so small and SO FAR from the main continent (like almost 1 hour boat trip to get there).

I'm pretty positive we will get an eventual expansion covering the place, but with so much of the main continent yet to be uncovered, that could take a few years easily.

That sucks, place has potential, love the aesthetics but it's so small and SO FAR from the main continent (like almost 1 hour boat trip to get there).

You can accept a mission there from Guild Wharf Manager. Make sure to pick up old moon trading items. I suggest choosing Altinova. Completing that mission gives alot of sailing XP. I did it twice and went from B0 to B9 in sailing skill. Pretty impressive considering I did not sail myself out that far.

Ferr986

Man there's 61 TRI liverto bows on the MP. If the prices weren't fixed I could actually afford one because surely they would drop hard in price...

Hubb

Man there's 61 TRI liverto bows on the MP. If the prices weren't fixed I could actually afford one because surely they would drop hard in price...

Yeah that is one of the negatives of the fixed market. Sadly it is also one of the worst parts about leveling a liverto. Basically you have to keep it as a backup (which isn't a bad idea), or you need to use it as a failstack so you can actually sell it at DUO or PRI.

What does the DUO TRI PEN stuff mean in regards to equipment?

The only thing I know is you can enhance gear with the blackstones.

After +15 you can upgrade gear even further with concentrated black stones, which you make by using sharp or hard crystals and heating them with 2 black crystals. This is the point you should be looking up how to failstack because it's going to cost you quite of bit of money. If you fail DUO or higher you can downgrade your gear a level. Getting to DUO is easy imo as long as you don't have some expensive weapon to repair (like a dandelion) that would be a pain to use duplicates or memory fragments on.

I think I'm going to stop leveling Tamer for now and play Witch. These spells are too much fun to use.

Those are the enhancement levels above +15.

+16 = Pri
+17 = Duo
+18 = Tri
+19 = Tet
+20 = Pen

After +15 you can upgrade gear even further with concentrated black stones, which you make by using sharp or hard crystals and heating them with 2 black crystals. This is the point you should be looking up how to failstack because it's going to cost you quite of bit of money. If you fail DUO or higher you can downgrade your gear a level. Getting to DUO is easy imo as long as you don't have some expensive weapon to repair (like a dandelion) that would be a pain to use duplicates or memory fragments on.

Thanks for the tips.

I'll try to remember this for when I get to the point where I need to ugprade gear.

Basoes

Welp thinking of Ulting the rest of my armor then getting my main hand to pri, that seems like the next best step

iV64AAK.png

also planning on buying 4 pets, looting is starting to become a real paon

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Welp thinking of Ulting the rest of my armor then getting my main hand to pri, that seems like the next best step

iV64AAK.png

also planning on buying 4 pets, looting is starting to become a real paon

You could easily get all your armour and weapons to DUO in under an hour for 20-30 million silver.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Playing the market for hard/sharp stones is almost as bad as trying to win something in the pearl shop

Fire up an axe and dig them up yourself. Ive them stockpiled from rewards, gathering, etc. Usually around 20 minimum. I find the normal black stones harder to get in bulk for upgrading.

kabel

Nice! I've been bidding on that costume forever. Just can't get it. I really want that floppy hat :(

Since I paid ~4€ for the game I thought I would spend 30€ on some clothes that don't look like brown potato bags.

40 hours in so far, so worth it.

I remember preordering Guild Wars 2 back in 2012 for 50€ only to play it for like 3 or 4 hours...

Finally got this game but still not been brave enough to start it up yet. I just know there's gonna be a lot to take in so figure I need to pick a weekend where I don't feel like playing anything else and can put a good bit of attention into it.

If I ever make it out of character creator.

Top Bottom