• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online |OT| Come on in, the sand's fine [Mediah Update]

Ploid 3.0

I still haven't spent the value packs I got from the level three game purchase, and I have a lot of them from normal daily unlocks over the months. It feels like I may never use them too, I just play, solo grind a bit, check the AH for pets, and log out.

Reszo

Got my striker to LVL 40 , enjoying the game so far. Still feel kind of lost and not used to any instant travel lol. Also wtf are nodes lol

OBWsig8.jpg
Oc4l0pJ.jpg

Gin-Shiio

Got my striker to LVL 40 , enjoying the game so far. Still feel kind of lost and not used to any instant travel lol. Also wtf are nodes lol

Mechanically, a node is a point of interest that offers specific resources such as iron ore or logs. These resources can be mined by workers you hire in town. In order to make a node accessible, you first need to connect it to a town by connecting every node between the node in question and the town. That is done using your CP, Contribution Points, either through the NPC stationed at every node, or the map in case you have an active value pack. Nodes are extremely important and a steady source of income. They're also just one part of a complex work empire system, so it's okay to be confused.

If you're interested in joining Gaf's Discord, me and the others will gladly provide guidance. Oh, and cool Striker!

Ferr986

I think they need to start thinking about those Olvia and Steam Olvia servers. They basically "empty" for the most part while the regular servers are always overcrowded. Like, there's no camp spots for grinding even in the mornings.

Just started and I'm already level 12? Damn this moves fast. I feel like I've done a pretty large amount of quests already too but really have no idea how anything in the game truly works right now lol. Haven't even found the town but there's an event nearby at the start it seems? Worth checking out?

Ferr986

Just started and I'm already level 12? Damn this moves fast. I feel like I've done a pretty large amount of quests already too but really have no idea how anything in the game truly works right now lol. Haven't even found the town but there's an event nearby at the start it seems? Worth checking out?

Lvl 1 to 50 takes like a day if you are dedicated to it, but I wouldn't recommend it as a first timer. Just keep doing all the Black Spirit queste, because it takes you around the world (also gives you inventory spaces as rewards).
Level 50 onwards takes longer, with a first softcap at 56 (where you get your awakening weapon), starting there the experience required skyrocket to really grindy terms (60 being the second softcap).

The event is worth check in, it takes like 5 minutes to do and you get random rewards.

Lvl 1 to 50 takes like a day if you are dedicated to it, but I wouldn't recommend it as a first timer. Just keep doing all the Black Spirit queste, because it takes you around the world (also gives you inventory spaces as rewards).
Level 50 onwards takes longer, with a first softcap at 56 (where you get your awakening weapon), starting there the experience required skyrocket to really grindy terms (60 being the second softcap).

The event is worth check in, it takes like 5 minutes to do and you get random rewards.

Thanks a bunch! Guess I'll take a trip to the event then and just work my way through the quests bit by bit. I'm really liking the combat for an MMO so far though. Went with a Dark Knight and the speed of levelling to 50 at least makes the idea of making extra characters more appealing whereas in ESO it was a daunting task.

Kinda itching to see that huge city I've seen people mention too. I get the feeling the world in this probably rather enormous though.

Mephala

It is also worth playing the Black Spirit Adventure board game 3x per day if you can. You can access it from the ESC button menu. You roll a die and move on the board for free items which go to your mailbox. Don't let it fill your inventory, claim them in a town with storage or something. some items are keepers, others are useful or pawnable for quick cash.

Ferr986

Thanks a bunch! Guess I'll take a trip to the event then and just work my way through the quests bit by bit. I'm really liking the combat for an MMO so far though. Went with a Dark Knight and the speed of levelling to 50 at least makes the idea of making extra characters more appealing whereas in ESO it was a daunting task.

Kinda itching to see that huge city I've seen people mention too. I get the feeling the world in this probably rather enormous though.

Well, having 2 characters max leveled and geared is probably as harder as any other MMO, considering how long the levels are post awakening and how expensive the best gear is.

But yeah if you want a main and some alts to mess around it's super easy here.

The world is certainly huge, thankfully you can cross mountains so it's pretty fast to move around. Worst part is going to the desert, but that's really far from where you are level wise.

Hubb

I think they need to start thinking about those Olvia and Steam Olvia servers. They basically "empty" for the most part while the regular servers are always overcrowded. Like, there's no camp spots for grinding even in the mornings.

Yeah, one of the biggest issues I have with the game right now. They don't seem to be interested in addressing the issue, or making more viable grinding spots. I usually grind in Valencia in some of the "lesser" spots, but even on the weekend those spots are filled with people.

I hate fighting for my spot and wasting my EXP buffs. I just want to do my grinding hour in peace.

Ferr986

Yeah, one of the biggest issues I have with the game right now. They don't seem to be interested in addressing the issue, or making more viable grinding spots. I usually grind in Valencia in some of the "lesser" spots, but even on the weekend those spots are filled with people.

I hate fighting for my spot and wasting my EXP buffs. I just want to do my grinding hour in peace.

This is now at 22:20 EU servers

I feel like it's a waste having this much Olvia servers only for newcomers. Mind you it's the same in weekends, only a couple of them filled. I'm not even sure why Steam newcomers have their own servers (yeah regular Olvia has returning players but it does also has newcomers).

Meanwhile the regular servers are always crowded, they could easily take half of the Olvia servers and put them as regular servers.

Also I was thinking, now that leveling to 50 is incredibly fast (non newcomers do it in a day) I think they should look into making vanilla grinding caps to higher levels, say making Hexe Sanctuary, Rhutum, Giants... +53 areas (where the bottleneck starts to happen).

There's to much grind areas in vanilla region that are totally untouched due to how fast they made the leveling from 1 to 50.

Another suggestion is to lower the exp required from 56 to 60 (yes I know they nerfed it but 25% it's really small nerf when we are talking about +10 hours per level). There's so many people that is stuck in those levels weeks and weeks because it just takes too long, so there's really not many people leaving camps while there's a lot of people entering them.

I know I'm not discovering much with these but it's really baffling how they are ignoring these problems. People say "it's because they want to encourage PvP" but even the PvP'ers are annoyed of this , hence all the cries about karmabombing.

EDIT: And the most important thing...can people PLEASE stop running around with Kibelius outfits? Some fucking variety guys, feels like I'm playing Victoria's Secret Online.

Thanks for more tips guys. I got so many questions though now that I'm digging into the game so I'm just gonna bullet point which ones I can.

What's the item store the game keeps telling me to sell stuff on?

Can you edit a character?

Where or how do you buy cosmetics?

I heard someone say something about being a ship captain?!

Lastly I saw you guys talking about a new zone that was a long boat trip away. I'll probably wanna check that out for the hell of it sometime, but curious where to go for that for the future.

draliko

Tried the game 3 times I just can't get the combat to click with me, too much stuff to do and not a proper tutorial get me confused and I lost interest. Any suggestion? Or it's just play for 50hours and hope you understand something? :)

Thanks for more tips guys. I got so many questions though now that I'm digging into the game so I'm just gonna bullet point which ones I can.

What's the item store the game keeps telling me to sell stuff on?

Can you edit a character?

Where or how do you buy cosmetics?

I heard someone say something about being a ship captain?!

Lastly I saw you guys talking about a new zone that was a long boat trip away. I'll probably wanna check that out for the hell of it sometime, but curious where to go for that for the future.

You can sell stuff at the marketplace. If you use the NPC search in the upper right that looks like a magnifying glass you can auto run to the nearest marketplace npc. You will most likely make most of you money on here selling processed mats and such.

If you have a value pack (you should get some for free starting out like 7 days or something), you can edit your characters look by hitting escape and go to Beauty. If you want costumes to look different, either buy it from the pearl shop, get it off the marketplace, or craft them (have to buy the proper building in a city, upgrade it, and set a worker to it after having all the mats for them to start crafting thigns).

If you are talking about a boat, you will have to do with a fishing boat because that is probably the most affordable thing for you (costs a few mil on marketplace or you can build it at Port Epheria in the north-west of the continent). The large ships you sometimes see parked around Velia belong to people who took a decent amount of times to gather materials and have quite the wealth to make the Epheria sailboat or a part of a guild and made the Guild Galley.

If you want to go to pirate island, just zoom out on your map and you see it to the north on your map. It takes quite a bit of time to get there with the dinghy you get for free (like it literally moves at crawling speed) at Epheria, so a fishing boat is recommended.

Tried the game 3 times I just can't get the combat to click with me, too much stuff to do and not a proper tutorial get me confused and I lost interest. Any suggestion? Or it's just play for 50hours and hope you understand something? :)

What class do you play? I play Kuno and Maehwa. Some skills can be cancelled into each other so they come out faster (ex. Kunai throw into Shadow stomp is basically a cancel that eliminates the startup and shoots the Kuno forward), you have to experiment or look them up on youtube since there are some guides. Also some skills like the Flow ones in the tree help cancel stuff into each other. Once you get a decent flow it feel much better.

You can sell stuff at the marketplace. If you use the NPC search in the upper right that looks like a magnifying glass you can auto run to the nearest marketplace npc. You will most likely make most of you money on here selling processed mats and such.

If you have a value pack (you should get some for free starting out like 7 days or something), you can edit your characters look by hitting escape and go to Beauty. If you want costumes to look different, either buy it from the pearl shop, get it off the marketplace, or craft them (have to buy the proper building in a city, upgrade it, and set a worker to it after having all the mats for them to start crafting thigns).

If you are talking about a boat, you will have to do with a fishing boat because that is probably the most affordable thing for you (costs a few mil on marketplace or you can build it at Port Epheria in the north-west of the continent). The large ships you sometimes see parked around Velia belong to people who took a decent amount of times to gather materials and have quite the wealth to make the Epheria sailboat or a part of a guild and made the Guild Galley.

If you want to go to pirate island, just zoom out on your map and you see it to the north on your map. It takes quite a bit of time to get there with the dinghy you get for free (like it literally moves at crawling speed) at Epheria, so a fishing boat is recommended.

Thanks a bunch. Yeah I expected the large boats to be out if my range just find it really cool you can do that. Ive seen some truly pimp chariots out there too lol. To be honest I figure even cosmetics will be out of my range for now with my measly 30k.

I guess I'll find better ways to make money as I get through some of the main quest. For now I'll settle with my grey donkey if I ever find the stable lol

Mephala

Thanks a bunch. Yeah I expected the large boats to be out if my range just find it really cool you can do that. Ive seen some truly pimp chariots out there too lol. To be honest I figure even cosmetics will be out of my range for now with my measly 30k.

I guess I'll find better ways to make money as I get through some of the main quest. For now I'll settle with my grey donkey if I ever find the stable lol

You can use the npc button next to minimap to find the nearest services (stables for instance)

Press F4 to edit character. You can save edits as customisation and load them when you have a coupon or value pack or whatever.

Press F3 to check out cash shop.

The place is sell stuff is the market. Some items don't sell though so it might be better to sell to regular vendor. Usually try the market first though.

Walking/running around has its benefits too, especially early on. it levels your breath so you have more stamina. Can't do that on horse/pony/wagon.

Money making will come in time. Enjoy being thrown in the deep end and see where the currents take you for now. :)

What should I do with these black stone rewards? keep or sell on the market?

You can use the npc button next to minimap to find the nearest services (stables for instance)

Press F4 to edit character. You can save edits as customisation and load them when you have a coupon or value pack or whatever.

Press F3 to check out cash shop.

The place is sell stuff is the market. Some items don't sell though so it might be better to sell to regular vendor. Usually try the market first though.

Walking/running around has its benefits too, especially early on. it levels your breath so you have more stamina. Can't do that on horse/pony/wagon.

Money making will come in time. Enjoy being thrown in the deep end and see where the currents take you for now. :)

Yeah found the stable icon finally. Ditched my donkey pretty quick anyway since I almost got it killed immediately so it's back in the stable. Got it stuck in a ledge in a horde of enemies.

Jordine, Jordine! JOOORDIIIINE!

Seriously all I hear is a bad Snake. It eased off a bit after but one of those scenes stood out a bit.

By the way what the fuck is up with chat in this game? All I'm seeing constantly is Nazi's and 'Heil Hitler' etc, bullshit about rape festivals in Europe. Pretty close to just dropping the game due to the community to be honest.

Keep them. They don't take much space in the storage and you can upgrade all kinds of things with them later on.

Thanks, shall hold onto them for now then.

Ferr986

Jordine, Jordine! JOOORDIIIINE!

Seriously all I hear is a bad Snake. It eased off a bit after but one of those scenes stood out a bit.

By the way what the fuck is up with chat in this game? All I'm seeing constantly is Nazi's and 'Heil Hitler' etc, bullshit about rape festivals in Europe. Pretty close to just dropping the game due to the community to be honest.

Thanks, shall hold onto them for now then.

Just block main chat, especially RP chat. The community of this game is beyond repair.

Ferr986

Yeah luckily I soon found how to block them. Server chat doesn't seem so bad at least but yeesh, RP is one of the biggest dumpster fires on the internet.

Yeah, server chat can be annoying when they argue about pvp and stuff, and you can see random racist shit but very rarely because at the end is being used the most for promoting guilds. RP chat is basically a chat log of humanity at it's lower.

Think I'm approaching the end of the main quest. Black spirit is looking pretty decked out now and just hit level 43 with my DK. I still feel like I'm blindly fumbling my way around in many ways but I'll start worrying about that when the quest is done. Found the big city today too which was cool to see. I thought I'd actually covered most of the map, then I realised I could scroll right too. That's uhh... a lot of distance to cover.

Yeah, server chat can be annoying when they argue about pvp and stuff, and you can see random racist shit but very rarely because at the end is being used the most for promoting guilds. RP chat is basically a chat log of humanity at it's lower.

It truly is. I saw things on the RP chat that would have made 4chan blush.

Mephala

Think I'm approaching the end of the main quest. Black spirit is looking pretty decked out now and just hit level 43 with my DK. I still feel like I'm blindly fumbling my way around in many ways but I'll start worrying about that when the quest is done. Found the big city today too which was cool to see. I thought I'd actually covered most of the map, then I realised I could scroll right too. That's uhh... a lot of distance to cover.

For some reason my Black Spirit turned back into a blob. I'm not sure why. They reworked the main quest a bit from when I last did it so sadly I can't offer much help in this.

As for exploration. I'm still exploring myself. Trying to unlock nodes is fun and horrifying at the same time.

Mediah, Valencia, Magoria and Kamasylvia are all the expansions the game has had so far. Kamasylvia isn't out in the West yet but is available in Korea.

To the East is Mediah, futher out is Valencia. Northwards and North-west is the sea and Magoria. You can eventually reach Port Ratt on the other continent by ship.
We are currently looking forward to a new area, south of Calpheon/Trent which will be forests. This area is called Kamasylvia.

If you're interested there is an interactive map here:
http://www.somethinglovely.net/bdo/

It truly is. I saw things on the RP chat that would have made 4chan blush.

I have 3 chat tabs at this point.
1. Guild, General, Party and whispers
2. As above but with server as well.
3. Whispers only (for recruiting new members mostly)

RP is absolute filth. Sometimes server chat gets a bit much too but it is generally decent enough.

For some reason my Black Spirit turned back into a blob. I'm not sure why.

It is story based. It happens after a specific quest relating to power.

I agree the main chat is horrible I have basically ignored everyone except guild and party.

Been leveling horses to get T7. I started quite some time ago, I have 2 T6 now and I am shooting for more.

Ferr986

If you check the quest tab in the menu it shows important quests: basically all story quest and important side quests like inventory slots. Vanilla story was split between Black Spirit quests and the Jordine ones I think.

The Black Spirit also has a Guide tab that guides you to life skilling quests if you want to try one.

I think you get a T5 horse as a newcomer reward? I got one that way.

For some reason my Black Spirit turned back into a blob. I'm not sure why. They reworked the main quest a bit from when I last did it so sadly I can't offer much help in this.

As for exploration. I'm still exploring myself. Trying to unlock nodes is fun and horrifying at the same time.

Mediah, Valencia, Magoria and Kamasylvia are all the expansions the game has had so far. Kamasylvia isn't out in the West yet but is available in Korea.

To the East is Mediah, futher out is Valencia. Northwards and North-west is the sea and Magoria. You can eventually reach Port Ratt on the other continent by ship.
We are currently looking forward to a new area, south of Calpheon/Trent which will be forests. This area is called Kamasylvia.

If you're interested there is an interactive map here:
http://www.somethinglovely.net/bdo/

I have 3 chat tabs at this point.
1. Guild, General, Party and whispers
2. As above but with server as well.
3. Whispers only (for recruiting new members mostly)

RP is absolute filth. Sometimes server chat gets a bit much too but it is generally decent enough.

Thanks a bunch! Think I'm gonna head out east a bit once I've done any important stuff here. Really could appreciate a change of scenery soon. That map is going to come in handy too!

If you check the quest tab in the menu it shows important quests: basically all story quest and important side quests like inventory slots. Vanilla story was split between Black Spirit quests and the Jordine ones I think.

The Black Spirit also has a Guide tab that guides you to life skilling quests if you want to try one.

I think you get a T5 horse as a newcomer reward? I got one that way.

Ah I'll have to check that out. I've been a little overwhelmed by the UI so just plucking away bit by bit.

Speaking of life skills, someone in the server was saying they're easier to do below level 50 and that you cap at 49 until you beat a quest. Would it be a good idea to stop off at 40 and boost them up a lot?

I may have gotten a horse but unsure, I keep occasionally stumbling onto little rewards I've been given here and there but never remember what I hit to actually find it lol

Ferr986

Thanks a bunch! Think I'm gonna head out east a bit once I've done any important stuff here. Really could appreciate a change of scenery soon. That map is going to come in handy too!

Ah I'll have to check that out. I've been a little overwhelmed by the UI so just plucking away bit by bit.

Speaking of life skills, someone in the server was saying they're easier to do below level 50 and that you cap at 49 until you beat a quest. Would it be a good idea to stop off at 40 and boost them up a lot?

I may have gotten a horse but unsure, I keep occasionally stumbling onto little rewards I've been given here and there but never remember what I hit to actually find it lol

People often recomment life ksilling with a 49 char because at lvl 50 open world pvp is open, so you can get killed while life skillings. The odds are incredibly rare though, because the karma penalty is harsher nowadays, so people save their karma to kill eachother in grinding camps.

Karlstein is the best armor set.

Could do with some pants though.

How I wish there was mods for outfits. Like, I love almost everything about my Bern Ranger outfit (love outfits with scarfs) but then I look her at front and I see those stupid holes in her pants.

But noooooo, of course all the BDO mods are just nude skins lol

Still, Ranger Bern and Sorceress Ecket are my favorites for females, and for males, there is one for Musas in KR that looks like straight from Assassins Creed.

https://bdo.mmo-fashion.com/musa-sculpture/

I think I broke something. Was supposed to be kill the Saunil Siege Captain but failed it. The scroll is now gone but the Black Spirit still expects me to complete the mission. Ideas?

Mephala

If anyone hasn't been doing the waterpark quest you can now get 10 seals in a single day. This is now either 2 boxes for loot or one of the cosmetic head gear. The Coral Crown you can get gives +1 Luck. I recommend grabbing one if you haven't already. I actually grabbed a few for some alts. :\

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
If anyone hasn't been doing the waterpark quest you can now get 10 seals in a single day. This is now either 2 boxes for loot or one of the cosmetic head gear. The Coral Crown you can get gives +1 Luck. I recommend grabbing one if you haven't already. I actually grabbed a few for some alts. :\

Sweet, time to get another chest.

Ferr986

I'm so tired of this event but the chances on getting some good shit like Ogre rings brings me back lol Of course I have yet to get anything worth...

Mephala

I don't even mind most of it. It is the swimming bit that pisses me off as it is slow and annoying. The rest of it is actually pretty quick.

I have so about 5 soiled ogre rings and 3 soiled crescent rings. I think the best item I got was an ancient core belt. :\

Ferr986

I don't even mind most of it. It is the swimming bit that pisses me off as it is slow and annoying. The rest of it is actually pretty quick.

I have so about 5 soiled ogre rings and 3 soiled crescent rings. I think the best item I got was an ancient core belt. :\

Atleast you got gear... I didn't get any gear yet.

The swimming one is annoying but what I hate is the cannon, I swear sometimes it just dshots whetever the fuck the game wants

Mephala

Atleast you got gear... I didn't get any gear yet.

The swimming one is annoying but what I hate is the cannon, I swear sometimes it just dshots whetever the fuck the game wants

The trick is to aim at the furthest one with a few between you and your target. Then charge the bar accordingly. A full charge will shoot past the furthest usually but about 3/4 should be pretty good strength,

Hojaho

Hey guys,
I'm trying to do the Fishing level 20 advancement quest.
It requires 5 Mandarin fishes, but after fishing for hours, I still can't get any.
Is there a specific location with a better rate ?
I tried the location indicated by the quest, tried Extraction Mill, tried the river (near Torphin).
Kind of depressing. ><

Mephala

Hey guys,
I'm trying to do the Fishing level 20 advancement quest.
It requires 5 Mandarin fishes, but after fishing for hours, I still can't get any.
Is there a specific location with a better rate ?
I tried the location indicated by the quest, tried Extraction Mill, tried the river (near Torphin).
Kind of depressing. ><

Over night in Heidel or Northern Cienaga (node south of Heidel).

Mephala

I haven't been active at all recently. A bit of onions and some logs towards the ship but it was really sucking the enjoyment outta things for me.

I did the daily waterpark quests just now after having skipped two days and I got a Red Coral Earring and a Soiled Ogre Ring. Pretty good until the Soiled Ogre Ring opened into a full Ogre Ring. This is the game trying to hook me back in.

Gin-Shiio

So today's update added an option to have promotions and crafts end on the spot for pearls. Thoughts on this? Promotions aren't even guaranteed to succeed, and crafts are usually limited by materials rather than time. Reddit is up in arms as usual, but personally I don't think it is a big deal in any way.

Ferr986

So today's update added an option to have promotions and crafts end on the spot for pearls. Thoughts on this? Promotions aren't even guaranteed to succeed, and crafts are usually limited by materials rather than time. Reddit is up in arms as usual, but personally I don't think it is a big deal in any way.

Its not that big of a deal IMO, but a big part of BDO community gets hysterical at these things. Feels like they never played a truly harsh P2W game.

Vyrance

I don't see why someone would waste money on speeding up crate production anyway. If you have a +3 worker in trent you're going to be pumping out hundreds of crates a day anyway. Your processing can't keep up with that.

Top Bottom