• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online |OT| Come on in, the sand's fine [Mediah Update]

Hubb

Sweet.

I think I'm starting to get hooked on this game.

Oh, and where can I find my screenshots?

Documents -> Black Desert -> Screenshot

Good luck with the pets by the way. It is easier to win the lottery then win a bid on a pet. You may get lucky (I've won 1 pet), don't make yourself crazy trying to win them.

So I've tried to play this game several times but it's a pretty overwhelming experience. There's just too much to do at once then I sort of don't have a focus so I just feel aimless and give up.

So, would having a focus of just getting to max level before focusing on anything else be a good idea? I know it's sandbox and I can do what I want when I want but would being max level make it easier to get into the other features the game has to offer? I know it seems obvious that of course I could set that as my goal, but what I'm wondering is it is a satisfying goal to get to max level? Will it make my life easier going forward?

This is really hard to answer without knowing what you want to do with the game. First, there is no max level in the game. There are soft/hard caps, but those goalposts move.

Generally speaking getting to level 56 and unlocking your awakening is a good first goal. From there a lot if open up to you, basically everything but the very high end areas. Along the way you should be working on enhancing (or buying) gear. I know they have new quests to help people level, but I don't know what gear/how good the gear is that you get from leveling up. I know the chest piece they provide you with can get upgraded through quests to be pretty decent for awhile, but I don't know if they added in anything for the other equipment slots.

If you do want to get your awakening as your first goal, know that around level 51 you will hit your first real "wall". Mobs will be tougher than you have faced, and your gear will most likely not be up to par (depending on if they added stuff beyond the chest piece). So even getting to level 50 and then starting to work (or buy) armor to get ready to level to 56 works.

Mithos

I know the chest piece they provide you with can get upgraded through quests to be pretty decent for awhile, but I don't know if they added in anything for the other equipment slots.

Yeah that armor is quite ok, 60 DP on full upgrade (TRI Grunil = 73 DP), they have added main/secondary weapon to upgrade also (not very high AP on them though), and there are different accessories (jewelries) to upgrade the same way.

Good luck with the pets by the way. It is easier to win the lottery then win a bid on a pet. You may get lucky (I've won 1 pet), don't make yourself crazy trying to win them.

I started to bid on an outfit for my Dark Knight (awakening outfit) when there was ~300 sold on the market. I've probably bid on ~1000 of those outfits, no luck yet, sold count atm 1944.

Winning a bid on pearl items is really really hard.

VpomRurd

This is really hard to answer without knowing what you want to do with the game. First, there is no max level in the game. There are soft/hard caps, but those goalposts move.

Generally speaking getting to level 56 and unlocking your awakening is a good first goal. From there a lot if open up to you, basically everything but the very high end areas. Along the way you should be working on enhancing (or buying) gear. I know they have new quests to help people level, but I don't know what gear/how good the gear is that you get from leveling up. I know the chest piece they provide you with can get upgraded through quests to be pretty decent for awhile, but I don't know if they added in anything for the other equipment slots.

If you do want to get your awakening as your first goal, know that around level 51 you will hit your first real "wall". Mobs will be tougher than you have faced, and your gear will most likely not be up to par (depending on if they added stuff beyond the chest piece). So even getting to level 50 and then starting to work (or buy) armor to get ready to level to 56 works.

Thank you, that's actually a great help. I was a bit concerned that it was way too easy. Is it possible to get to 50 by just doing quests and killing mobs (which I know most of the exp comes from)? I wouldn't need to focus on any other systems just to level?

Mithos

Thank you, that's actually a great help. I was a bit concerned that it was way too easy. Is it possible to get to 50 by just doing quests and killing mobs (which I know most of the exp comes from)? I wouldn't need to focus on any other systems just to level?

You should be able to get there with just following the main questline and/or the quests the Black Spirit gives out at certain levels. Maybe some side quests here and there ontop of that.

Hubb

Yes, grinding is the way to go. So few quests offer EXP I don't think it is possible to level off those, and I am not sure there are any quests that offer EXP outside of the starter/early area. Your best bet for your first character is to just follow the black spirit quests. It'll lead you to areas around your level.

Mobs do get tougher, but to be honest a lot of the PvE leaves a lot to be desired. They been starting to add some better things, and they mentioned on streams/dev blog different types of things that they want to add. That being said, if you want to challenge yourself there are places to do that.

I assume you have access to the Olvia or Steam servers right? If that is the case you should get to level 50 in no time. The worker/CP system is probably something you want to pay attention to, because that is where your passive income/mats are going to come from. But you can start dealing with that once you hit level 50+

I bought the game for so cheap on Steam I splurged for 60 bucks worth of pearls and just bought the outfit/armor that I wanted plus a pet. I still have enough to eventually get horse armor or some other cosmetic shit.

I figured I've heard enough of cosmetic/fashion armor and how for many it won't change unless they got these items and I don't wanna grind for hours of silver if i can just afford it myself. Now I can focus on playing the game and if I eventually ever want to get another cosmetic armor I can grind for that, but I'm happy with my Bloodborne looking mage mofo.

edit: I'll try to find a gaf guild member tomorrow.

Ferr986

If you got a character appearance coupon be wary there's some kind of bug when you load your character in the beauty tab, the sliders goes back to a predefined positions instead on how you character really is.

zdenko1

Got the 5€ package during weekend and I'm so far really liking it. Character creator is just insane and combat is pretty great and very responsive. I have 1 question though. I tried to take 8K screenshots but every time I press print screen, camera just rotates in totally different direction and ruins the shot. How do I prevent that?

Ferr986

Got the 5€ package during weekend and I'm so far really liking it. Character creator is just insane and combat is pretty great and very responsive. I have 1 question though. I tried to take 8K screenshots but every time I press print screen, camera just rotates in totally different direction and ruins the shot. How do I prevent that?

Weird, I dunno about that. How are you taking your screenshot?

If you press CTRL+U you'll enter the Photo mode. Here you can control various settings like DoF, filters...

Here's a lil guide

http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/2798-photo-mode/

garath

Fired this game up for the $6 entry price on steam. I kind of like the dynasty warriors style combat and very intrigued by the empire building aspect yielding passive income. I'll probably get invested and regret not buying a higher package but I'm very wary of MMO investments these days. I don't have the time for it. Maybe a couple hours a day tops.

zugzug

trust me just spend $40 in pearls and buy 4 of the same pets. buy 4 of the same pets if you are willing to spend more money on top of this.

Further down the road after you have leveled your pets to level 10 then you smash 2 of them together and pray you get a tier 3 then smash the other 2 and pray again for tier 3 then you'll have 2 pets and you immediately buy two more pets to have four again.

Then when those tier 3 pets are level 10 smash them together for the really RNG(low chance) part of the game and pray you get a tier 4 pet = best in game. Making your $40 investment into the game into 1 pet yes, and now you realize how this game makes money.

I smashed two tier 3 cats at level 10 together and got 1 tier 3 pet in return. So I lost money.

DO NOT expect to win a pet off the marketplace. unless you fancy yourself winning a 1 in 1000 or 1 in XXXX lottery ticket chance. I've won two pets off the marketplace since August(somewhere around August 2016 the ability to sell paid store items on marketpalce came into game) just got my second 2 weeks ago with a stoneback crab.

the more expensive package of the game is not worth. Stick to cheapest version of game, and then invest the extra money into pearls and get 4 pets. TRUST ME, once your level 50+ or even at level 30 when you are out combat fighting and chaining all your skills together and killing mobs nonstop(dark secret- they made pve easier sometime during mediah part 2 and valencia patch)

Creepy

So what's the point of having a server unique family name if it still doesn't let you get the character name you want... ?

TheMan

Did they ever update the game to allow your appearance to change with gear or do you still have to pay ridiculous money for costumes?

Mephala

Did they ever update the game to allow your appearance to change with gear or do you still have to pay ridiculous money for costumes?

A few sets of equipment share designs.
Costumes can be worn on top and I've bought several from the Market place. It wasn't easy though.
You can also craft or buy costumes but to wear it on your costume slot and not equipment slot you need a coupon which is cash shop, market bidding or sometimes events.

Tomeru

This fucking game lol. Terrible terrible character creation options, I'm overwhelmed! Or amazing if you are not lazy :)

But it keeps losing connection randomly and I can't finish my character...

Hubb

So what's the point of having a server unique family name if it still doesn't let you get the character name you want... ?

Yeah, they really fucked up naming in the game. Originally they had separate servers, but they smashed them all together so I guess it helped them there. Otherwise the whole thing is pretty stupid. Your family name is suppose to be so people know who you are even if you are on an alt. But until recently you couldn't even see family names in chat so it only mattered if you ran across someone. Helps if you are interested in grief'ing a certain person, but otherwise I find their naming system to be terrible in its limitations.

Fired this game up for the $6 entry price on steam. I kind of like the dynasty warriors style combat and very intrigued by the empire building aspect yielding passive income. I'll probably get invested and regret not buying a higher package but I'm very wary of MMO investments these days. I don't have the time for it. Maybe a couple hours a day tops.

You probably won't regret it then. The highest package is a pretty good deal, but nothing worth losing sleep over.

Elfstruck

This fucking game lol. Terrible terrible character creation options, I'm overwhelmed! Or amazing if you are not lazy :)

But it keeps losing connection randomly and I can't finish my character...

You can just use the presets that people made. There are lots of good one.

You can try sites like BDOtemplates, BDO fashion

But the Korean ones are also good; https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdeser...omization_presets_courtesy_of_korean_players/

you download a character creation profile and put it in your documents/BDO/customization/ < you can put them in while the game is running:)

But if you want to browse a lot of presets, check out the in game beauty gallary.

Here is a video about how you can make your own outfits (to put over your gear): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyZerXfLzDc

They are not as fancy as the pearl shop ones, but some of them are cool.

They also have added ingame craftable costumes (with costume mill) over time. Here are some of the recent ones that were released in korea;

17424758_894255010716396_2834324895104626387_n.jpg.b5cb9c525c8a0f1a430d1f80e8be9fa2.jpg

I still recommend buying a outfit for your main character though.

Ferr986

Honestly, those looks better than 80% of the outfits found in the cash shop, especially if you have a female character and want to wear something else than revealing costumes lol

Hubb

Honestly, those looks better than 80% of the outfits found in the cash shop, especially if you have a female character and want to wear something else than revealing costumes lol

Just be aware if you want to wear them as a costume (instead of replacing your armor) you need to buy a 1500 pearl item from the cash shop.

garath

I fumbled my way through assigning my first worker to a potato farm. No idea what I'm doing but it appears to be doing something.

So, I just purchased this game. I got my first pieces of armor, equipped it, then realized I didn't change appearance at all. That kind of killed all the enthusiasm I had for this game. Is it true that all armor/appearance changes come from the cash shop? from a B2P game?

ViciousDS

Banned
So, I just purchased this game. I got my first pieces of armor, equipped it, then realized I didn't change appearance at all. That kind of killed all the enthusiasm I had for this game. Is it true that all armor/appearance changes come from the cash shop? from a B2P game?

oh please tell me this isn't true......if almost all the armor is just static and doesn't do anything appearance wise, I'm not going to even bother.....even for $6

Kuro

oh please tell me this isn't true......if almost all the armor is just static and doesn't do anything appearance wise, I'm not going to even bother.....even for $6

Each costume is like $29 too. That and the mess of a UI made me quit pretty fast.

garath

ok how can we help you to get it?

So I had to connect nodes and was able to use a hired worker to start collecting potatoes. Did it in another region and collecting honey. Build a lodging and hired a third but ran out of energy. Should I use energy to invest in nodes or continue to connect nodes and spread workers out?

Should I be selling the things they harvest on the market?

How does trade play into this?

I'll look for a YouTube video on this tomorrow too so don't feel like you need to throw out an elaborate answer. Just a tip or two is always welcome :)

Elfstruck

Help. Somehow the main quest is not showing up on the quest tracker anymore, even though I have the quest. I tried to reset and check all the options in the quest setting box, but no luck. :(

Edit: I'm an idiot, I didn't check the Adjust UI option.

zugzug

no, What I think you mean to say is I hope that every flashy, hawt, good looking stand me out from the crowd outfit comes from the buy to play marketplace. There are like seven sets of equipment you can enhance and level up as you go each has subtle different looks, then there are like 12 in game costumes you can buy or craft yourself once you set up your node worker and buy the costume crafting house those are the pictures someone posted above us. those flashy armors do not improve your defense stat DP.

But as for gear that you equip that improves your DP = defense stat there is Rebar(prolly the first item you'll find from killing mobs), Agerian, Taritas, Zereth, Talis, Luck Armor of Fortuna, Strength armor of heve, Armor of hercules' might, those are the 1-50 level type gear then at level 50 you start to see Grunil, Rocaba, and then the end game gear is the Boss gear which all have its different name for each piece there Red Nose Armor, Dim Tree Spirit armor, Bheg's gloves, Giath's helmet, Muskan's boots

All of the DP gear is subtle real made looking gear. The boss gear is all flashy in its own.

the buy to pay costumes which you can buy from the marketplace are all flashy to get you to buy them. Then you need like 10 to 15 dyes to match them and dye them correctly to get a cohesive looking set. You do not need the buy to play costumes at all to play the game until you get to level 55+ that extra 10% exp bonus they give won't really be seen noticed till then.

edit: also if you want one of those costumes that come from the pictures posted above get with one of us veterans who have the workers set up and the raw materials already gathered we can make like 2,5 or 10 of them at once and then get with you on a time to post it to marketplace to enhance best time for you to get them, but these will be bought out within minutes as well why I say we could post perhaps 10. Depending whom you ask it would take us maybe a day or to to produce 10 crafted and be ready to post them so we'd need to coordinate timing. Make sense?

anothertech

To all my new friends on BDO, welcome! :)

A couple tips I always give my friends when they first start up:

You level fastest killing mobs 2 or three levels higher than you in the beginning. At first, nothing is that difficult so going after higher level mobs that you can kill quickly is ideal if you want to get to your awakening fast. Killing mobs gives MUCH higher XP than questing does as a general rule.

Also, buy some milk tea at the market, it's always an easy cheap way to keep an extra xp boost while leveling.

Don't forget to use your 200% xp boost each day after the reset.

The only quests that are required while leveling are your awakening quests that unlock at specific levels up till 50. They say 'awakening' in the quest title. Then at 50 you have to kill a fish man boss. That area is excellent for leveling up to 53 or so. At that point pvp will be unlocked for you.

At leve 50+ mobs will become quite a bit more difficult, so don't try hitting the higher levels at this point. Your gear will be much more important now.

Here's the trick. You can level all your gear and weapons up to +8 easily with black and red upgrade stones. So do that first. At that point you can start grinding mobs of your level for drops to turn in for silver/gold bars that you can use to upgrade your gear significantly. Get everything to +15 as soon as you can and then going out to the higher level areas and desert is doable. At that point you'll want to really learn how fail stacking works so you can upgrade your gear even higher to make higher level mobs and pvp much easier.

It takes quite some time to get everything to TRI or higher and you can be around level 60 at that point. That's where pvp will start feeling easier and the desert will stop feeling like everything is one shotting you.

You can switch your skills around however you want all the way to level 56 so play around with respeccing often to see what skills you might be missing out on. After 56 and awakening though, it's much harder to respec. So try stuff out often before you get there.

Also, trade armor between characters. Don't waste time leveling up different sets of armor unless you REEEEALLY have a good reason to do so.

I usually tell everyone to start with grunil armor set and get boss gear after that.

Enjoy!

Vyrance

About the cash shop armor that some of you are talking about above:

People list those on the marketplace so you can buy them with in-game silver. I always buy them that way because once you're 50+ silver is pretty easy to come by. A set of cash shop armor goes for like 24 million silver. At higher level that's just a few hours of grinding. And that's if you didn't have workers or making money through lifeskilling.

Hubb

It takes quite some time to get everything to TRI or higher and you can be around level 60 at that point. That's where pvp will start feeling easier and the desert will stop feeling like everything is one shotting you.

You don't need to be 60 to go into the desert, I go in at 57+. That and getting to 60 is no easy task. Most people will quit the game before they hit 60 (unless they move the soft cap). You can get TRI everything (except maybe some accessories) way before 60 and I highly suggest people do. DUO Accessories are good for awhile.

About the cash shop armor that some of you are talking about above:

People list those on the marketplace so you can buy them with in-game silver. I always buy them that way because once you're 50+ silver is pretty easy to come by. A set of cash shop armor goes for like 24 million silver. At higher level that's just a few hours of grinding. And that's if you didn't have workers or making money through lifeskilling.

IDK. It seems like more and more people are playing and less people are selling. It is getting harder and harder to win outfit bids when in the past (not even that long ago) it was so easy. They haven't yet reached value pack/pet rareness, but I think people are misleading new players. It is not easy to win a cash shop outfit for your character, at least not right now. Doubly hard if you want an outfit that isn't a current popular one.

Gin-Shiio

How do you learn how to cook and do you need a kitchen? A home?

You will need to buy a home for contribution points as well as a cooking utensil either from the local cook or the marketplace. Recipes can be figured out through trial and error, or are explained through quests. Since failed attempts still consume the materials and quests can be hard to find however, the reasonable thing is really to just check the BDDatabase for the right ingredients.

Speaking of ingredients, while some can be purchased from the local cook, you will need to hire workers and invest more contribution points into nodes that offer the rest. Velia is an excellent place to start getting a feel for this, as there are many valuable nodes next to it.
Lastly, there is a so called silver embroidered outfit for every life skill, offering specific advantages. You will want the Silver Embroidered Cook's Clothes. They can be purchased off the marketplace without any trouble.

Good luck!

It's certainly more difficult than it was before, the server merge really put a dent in the odds of winning and with more players coming it's even harder.

You will need to buy a home for contribution points as well as a cooking utensil either from the local cook or the marketplace. Recipes can be figured out through trial and error, or are explained through quests. Since failed attempts still consume the materials and quests can be hard to find however, the reasonable thing is really to just check the BDDatabase for the right ingredients.

Speaking of ingredients, while some can be purchased from the local cook, you will need to hire workers and invest more contribution points into nodes that offer the rest. Velia is an excellent place to start getting a feel for this, as there are many valuable nodes next to it.
Lastly, there is a so called silver embroidered outfit for every life skill, offering specific advantages. You will want the Silver Embroidered Cook's Clothes. They can be purchased off the marketplace without any trouble.

Good luck!

Oof. I just wanted to cook McNuggies. All of these other systems just so I can do that lol.

Maybe there are simple recipes you can make with easily acquirable ingredients.

Mephala

Regarding the armor appearance. Here are the armors. For my Maehwa any way, not sure if its different for other classes.
  • Naked, Rebar
  • Brior, Binder, Reblath
  • Agerian, Basteer, Dobart
  • Grunil
  • Hercules, Fortuna, Heve, Zereth
  • Talis, Taritas, Steel Taritas

Boss gear chest pieces
  • Red Nose
  • Tree Spirit
I think there is a new piece Roboca? and there is also the Dim Armor you get for free that looks a bit different from the rest. In general they look pretty similar and mostly sensible. If you want something more extravagant you need to cash shop or market.

I actually quite like this armor system, not because each piece doesn't have unique appearance, I do wish they change that. What I like is that each piece has no restrictions. You can wear it whenever you get it and it is not really a straight upgrade in gear. You need to enhance it. This actually made me stick with gear for longer and pass it to alts to try new classes.

The market is time consuming and boring. At the end of the day it is RNG with everyone else bidding at the same time. With the influx of players, sure it might be harder but it is still possible. I have notifications for some of the new items, pets and value packs. They are going up pretty regularly. It isn't easy though.

If you like a costume for your main, the cash shop is the easiest and hassle free way to get it. There is also the coupon at the moment.

Oof. I just wanted to cook McNuggies. All of these other systems just so I can do that lol.

Maybe there are simple recipes you can make with easily acquirable ingredients.

Beer is pretty much the first thing a lot of people make. Most use potatoes and then everything else you can buy from the chefs for really cheap.

If you want to gather raw farm materials, don't listen to the game telling you to do it bare handed. Go to the materials merchant (or market) and buy a sickle. (sharp sickle for more durability and no skill restriction).

Should I force enhance from +9 onward or just normal enhance?

I spent hundreds of stones, millions of silver enhancing my own gear, inefficiently. Wasting high fail stacks and spending a fortune on repairs. There is definitely smarter ways about it. I recommend reading a guide for fail stacks.

I would recommend focusing on 1 armor piece if you want to enhance yourself.
Buy the rest from the market. 14-19m seems expensive but it is an investment that comes back pretty quick.
If you aren't overly attached to your weapon... Buy a +15 too. It'll help the 50-56 grind a lot.
If you finish the first series of main quest the Black Spirit will give you a quest to get free chest armor and secondary weapon. They aren't the best gear but will definitely help out and let you focus on other pieces for a while.
Red coral rings are a good buy for some quick stats for cheap on the market.

Do we have a guild?
Yes for NA. Not sure on EU and other regions.
I'm not currently online but otherwise I can invite you. Feel free to join the discord, Gin-Shio might be on to invite.

anothertech

Should I force enhance from +9 onward or just normal enhance?
It depends. If you look at the fail stacking methods, that's generally a better and less expensive way to do it. If you are rolling in the dough, you can just force enhance, or better yet, check and see if your weapon has a +15 on the market and just buy it.

EDIT: a word on upgrading gear/force enhance: PREPARE. Don't just start enhancing the hell out of your stuff without the proper amount of silver or durability equipment. I made that mistake early on and ended up with an almost completely useless set of armor and weapons that I couldn't use because the durability was shot and I was out of silver. That sucks. Took quite some time to dig myself out of that hole. Every time you upgrade your gear you have chance of losing durability. When you fail an enhancement or foce enhance, you always lose durability. This can go all the way to 0, and if you haven't prepared properly you may have to grab a trash tier item from a shop keeper and grind out silver until you can fix your weapons and armor. It's no fun when that happens, take it from me.

You don't need to be 60 to go into the desert, I go in at 57+. That and getting to 60 is no easy task. Most people will quit the game before they hit 60 (unless they move the soft cap). You can get TRI everything (except maybe some accessories) way before 60 and I highly suggest people do. DUO Accessories are good for awhile.
Yes, I agree on both points. TRI is absolutely doeable before 60. But at 58 duo I still felt like a lot of areas and mobs in the desert were one shotting me pretty consistently which is why I mentioned it. 59/60 are mammoth tasks to achieve indeed my friend.

forrest

formerly nacire
Picked this up due to the sale and having wanted to try it for so long. I'm about level 16 or so right now. If any guild folks are around I'd love an invite if possible.

Family name is ForrestCrump
Character is Venveda

Top Bottom