• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black History Month: 1985 - Philadelphia drops bomb on black neighborhood, 11 dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
movebomb.jpg

CE-XZzkUgAAF09I.png

It's seems incredible that so many people had never heard about the time American law enforcement bombed U.S. citizens on U.S. soil, which, on top of the deaths, left dozens of bystanders' homes destroyed in an uncontrolled fire that the police commissioner told firefighters not to put out right away. The details are so extreme, so over-the-top. How have we forgotten this?

The bombing involved a conflict with a commune of mostly black activists:

MOVE is a Philadelphia-based, self-proclaimed black liberation group founded by John Africa (born Vincent Leaphart) in 1972. The group lives communally and frequently engages in public demonstrations against racism, police brutality, and other issues.

The group is particularly known for two major conflicts with the Philadelphia Police. In 1978, a standoff resulted in the death of one police officer, injuries to several other people and life sentences for 9 members. In 1985, another standoff was ended when the police dropped a bomb on their compound...

Their neighbors had an ambivalent relationship with the group:

neighbors complained for years that MOVE members were broadcasting political messages by bullhorn at all hours and also about the health hazards created from piles of compost. After the complaints as well as indictments of numerous MOVE members for crimes including parole violations, contempt of court, illegal possession of firearms, and making terrorist threats, then-Mayor W. Wilson Goode and police commissioner Gregore J. Sambor classified MOVE as a terrorist organization.

The police eventually decided to evict MOVE:

This led to an armed standoff with police, who lobbed tear gas canisters at the building. MOVE members fired at the police, who returned fire with automatic weapons.

Commissioner Sambor then ordered that the compound be bombed.

From a Pennsylvania State Police helicopter, Philadelphia Police Department Lt. Frank Powell proceeded to drop two one-pound bombs (which the police referred to as "entry devices") made of FBI-supplied water gel explosive, a dynamite substitute, targeting a fortified, bunker-like cubicle on the roof of the house.

First-hand accounts:

The police had come with warrants for several people they believed to be in the compound at 6221. No one knew how many weapons the MOVE folks had, or even how many people were in the compound — the police guessed that there were six adults and possibly as many as 12 children inside. The MOVE members had built a bunker on the roof of the house, giving them a clear view of the police positions below.

The final warnings from the police started that morning, a little after 5:30. "Attention, MOVE ... This is America," Gregore Sambor, the police commissioner, yelled into his megaphone to the people in the compound. "You have to abide by the laws of the United States."

There were nearly 500 police officers gathered at the scene, ludicrously, ferociously well-armed — flak jackets, tear gas, SWAT gear, .50- and .60-caliber machine guns, and an anti-tank machine gun for good measure. Deluge guns were pointed from firetrucks. The state police had sent a helicopter. The city had shut off the water and electricity for the entire block. And, we'd come to learn, there were explosives on hand.

Around 6 a.m., the members were told they had 15 minutes to come out. Instead, someone from the MOVE house began shooting at the police. The police returned fire in kind — over and over and over. According to the official report on the event, the police fired 10,000 rounds of ammunition at the MOVE compound over the next 90 minutes; they eventually had to ask the police academy to send more bullets.

Meanwhile, SWAT teams tried to blast holes into the side of the compound via the adjoining row houses. It didn't work.

It was chaos, and it went on like that all day — gunshots and explosions and well-tended homes nearby being shot up and blown apart. In the afternoon, Mayor Wilson Goode held a press conference and told reporters that he wanted to "seize control of the house ... by any means possible."

Everyone on the scene heard the explosion. Television viewers at home saw the moment of impact on TV, and they also saw that the rooftop bunker — the target the bomb was apparently meant to neutralize — was still standing.

But the roof had caught fire, and smoke began billowing over the tops of the row houses. The fire seemed to be getting bigger, but the firefighters were ordered by Sambor, the police commissioner, to stand down. ("I communicated ... that I would like to let the fire burn," he later told the city commission.)

Within 45 minutes, three more homes on the block were on fire, too. Then the roof of the MOVE house buckled under the flames and collapsed. By the time the firefighters finally began fighting the fire in earnest, it was too late. Within 90 minutes, the entire north side of Osage Avenue was on fire.

Philadelphia's streets are famously narrow, making it easy for the fire to leap from burning trees on the north side to more homes on the south side. Then the flames spilled over to the homes behind 6221 Osage, to Pine Street. By evening, three rows of homes were completely on fire, a conflagration so large that the flames could be seen from planes landing at Philadelphia International Airport, more than 6 miles away. Smoke could be seen from across the city.

"Drop a bomb on a residential area? I never in my life heard of that," a neighborhood resident told a reporter that night. "It's like Vietnam."

Over the years, Africa has maintained that when MOVE members tried to escape the burning building to surrender, the police opened fire on them and they were forced back inside. The police have steadfastly denied this.

By the time the fire was finally under control, a little before midnight, 61 houses on that tidy block had been completely destroyed. Two hundred fifty people were suddenly, shockingly, without homes. It was the worst residential fire in the city's history.

In the end, 11 people died in the fire. Five of them were children. It took weeks before the police were able to identify their remains.

Only two people managed to make it out of the MOVE compound alive: a woman named Ramona Africa and a young boy named Birdie Africa.

City police had killed nearly a dozen people and, in the process, leveled an entire swath of a neighborhood full of middle-class black homeowners. Neither the mayor who approved the bombing nor the officers who carried it out faced any official repercussions.

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...till-trying-to-make-sense-of-the-move-bombing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOVE
http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2015/05/18/407665820/why-did-we-forget-the-move-bombing

EDIT:

There was a PBS documentary on this a couple years ago

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/films/let-the-fire-burn/

Also, there was Frontline episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eHpRjxk7N4

SkyOdin

I read about this whole incident in a college sociology class, and I saw a TV program about it once. While it was a crazy situation, the actions of the police and mayor's office were beyond reckless. Holding back fire crews from fighting the blaze was a particularly heinous action.

lednerg

I remember seeing that as an 8 year old kid while it was going down. I lived just outside of Philly, so it was covered live on TV. Before then I thought we were in a post-racism society, judging by what school had taught me about civil rights during black history month. The bombing of MOVE and the conversations that surrounded it made clear to me that we still have a long way to go.

foxtrot3d

Banned
WHAT IN THE FUCKITY FUCK!? WHY HAVE I NEVER HEARD OF THIS?

Jesus, I swear it really does put into perspective the whole Oregon stand off. A bunch of armed white folks take over a federal compound out in the middle of nowere and are allowed to occupy the area for months before they are calmly taken into custody. Black folks refuse to come out of their homes in a residential neighborhood and are firebombed.

creatchee

Philly born and raised here. Just a few points.

Wilson Goode is African American. It wasn't a racist thing.

MOVE was not deemed a terrorist organization without merit. They made many threats of violence over the years and were heavily armed.

The cops absolutely handled things badly and this is a scar on my city's history. However, these also weren't a bunch of peaceful hippies who drew the ire of the powerful. This was a bad situation all around.

I lived near Philly in 1985.

I remember the bomb started a fire that burned down the whole city block full of row homes.

It was a tense situaiton. But the MOVE group were militant and...

Instead, someone from the MOVE house began shooting at the police.

That really was the flame that lit the candle. Right or wrong, when tensions are high, you probably don't want to shoot at the police and firefighters.

It was nothing racist, BTW. I'm not even sure this should be considered a Black History moment.

This was more of a "armed, radical protesters disrupting the peace on a daily basis" thing.

Mayor Wilson Goode won a second term after this incident, and Philadelphia has a huge African American population, who re-elected him. MOVE was not popular with ANY segment of the population.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Fucked up event. Unreal that there was no punishment for ordering a fucking bomb dropped in any neighborhood in America, let along a middle-class, densely populated one.

Meanwhile in 2016, people can form armies and storm government buildings with guns and the police response will be "take your time".
Pfdfj8N.jpg

Besides this event having occurred after disasters like MOVE and Waco, the difference here might be that the takeover took place in an extremely isolated locale versus a rowhome in a densely populated city.

MOVE was not deemed a terrorist organization without merit. They made many threats of violence over the years and were heavily armed.

The cops absolutely handled things badly and this is a scar on my city's history. However, these also weren't a bunch of peaceful hippies who drew the ire of the powerful. This was a bad situation all around.

I'm not from Philly, but my understanding is that they didn't undertake any terrorist acts.

And the statement about Goode communicates, I think, a need for some education.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I said wow.

America is messed up when it comes to minorities, no 2 ways about it. Just horrible. Never even heard about this before. Appalling. "I want to let the fire burn". Evil for sure.

I lived near Philly in 1985.

I remember the bomb started a fire that burned down the whole city block full of row homes.

It was a tense situaiton. But the MOVE group were militant and...

That really was the flame that lit the candle. Right or wrong, when tensions are high, you probably don't want to shoot at the police and firefighters.

It was nothing racist, BTW. I'm not even sure this should be considered a Black History moment.

This was more of a "armed, radical protesters disrupting the peace on a daily basis" thing.

Mayor Wilson Goode won a second term after this incident, and Philadelphia has a huge African American population, who re-elected him. MOVE was not popular with ANY segment of the population.
While I think the fact that the organization was targeted wasn't race related it's kind of difficult to imagine a standoff ending like this in another community. Rows of homes burned down with no consideration of innocent casualties? I'm trying but I can't think of something happening like this elsewhere.

Hollycat

I had no idea. We bombed our own people? In a major city even. I dont know how to express how that makes me feel. Sad? Disgusted?

Protein

Banned
People weren't joking when they said Oregon Militia occupants would be a crater if they had been black. Jesus Christ.

tim.mbp

I met Ramona Africa years ago after a Free Mumia rally. There's was a poetry/hip-hop thing in basement of a house. Pretty messed up what happened to her.

JABEE

EGHB3OU.jpg

Yep. The situation was fucked up. The kids inside the compound were also not in good shape. No excuse for Wilson to drop a bomb on them though. He burned down a city block.

I'm just glad the city was able to move forward from this moment and learn from it. No forgiving it, but using it as a learning experience is the only way forward.

While I think the fact that the organization was targeted wasn't race related it's kind of difficult to imagine a standoff ending like this in another community. Rows of homes burned down with no consideration of innocent casualties? I'm trying but I can't think of something happening like this elsewhere.

It was crazy. No denying that.

But I do not think that it was some sort of race war. The people who lived in that neighborhood were largely African American and they hated the MOVE group.

They robbed people and stores, harassed and threatened people. I think they shot and killed a cop too.

I think that bunker they built was on the roof of private property too. They would use other people's fire escape ladders to get to it and travel across rooftops to get away from cops and stuff. They were pretty much lawless.

I would not correlate them as heroes or victims for Black History month. They were more along the lines of a cult/gang and they certainly did not do any good for people or good causes.

The bomb was very dumb though. Burned down a whole neighborhood and killed a lot of people. They should have used tear gas or something to subdue them and just arrest them. Using a bomb was just complete overkill.

Like I said, the whole thing was a complete mess. Nobody was in the right. Nobody deserves to be honored for that conflict.

They went scorched earth on MOVE. Whether you think they needed to be arrested/stopped is irrelevant; the entire operation was beyond excessive and is a sad part of Philadelphia's history.

lednerg

The bomb was very dumb though. Burned down a whole neighborhood and killed a lot of people. They should have used tear gas or something to subdue them and just arrest them. Using a bomb was just complete overkill.

The bomb is the story. MOVE could have been a group of roving warlords pillaging everything in sight and it still would be fucked up to drop a bomb on a rowhouse. We're not talking about one house with some space in between the neighbors. These are buildings that are all connected.

yCwBxrw.jpg

I'm not really even sure what to say, other than to acknowledge how batshit insane this is. That it happened in 85 (or at all, really) is also nuts.

The bomb is the story. MOVE could have been a group of roving warlords pillaging everything in sight and it still would be fucked up to drop a bomb on a rowhouse. We're not talking about one house with some space in between the neighbors. These are buildings that are all connected.

yCwBxrw.jpg

I agree 100%.

Walpurgis

Banned
I didn't think that my opinion of America could be any lower. I was wrong.
Vietnam and Iraq. This is how America has always treated others. I guess it is shocking that they would do this to their own people but that's the problem. They don't see them as their people. They're all enemy combatants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom