• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black History Month: 1985 - Philadelphia drops bomb on black neighborhood, 11 dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the roof had caught fire, and smoke began billowing over the tops of the row houses. The fire seemed to be getting bigger, but the firefighters were ordered by Sambor, the police commissioner, to stand down. ("I communicated ... that I would like to let the fire burn," he later told the city commission.)
"I would like to burn them alive" is what he meant. Evil bastard.

blakep267

Race definitely played a factor in this. They dropped a bomb in the middle of the city. In a black neighborhood. You best believe that would've never been "approved" if it was the mainline or a neighborhood in south Philly

Geist-

Sounds like a fucked up situation that didn't stop escalating until a bomb was dropped. Not so much a racial conflict, but definitely some of the worst judgement from government officials in recent memory.

Edit: Also it really feels like a big chunk of the people posting in this thread only read the title.

Deku Tree

It was crazy. No denying that.

But I do not think that it was some sort of race war. The people who lived in that neighborhood were largely African American and they hated the MOVE group.

They robbed people and stores, harassed and threatened people. I think they shot and killed a cop too.

I think that bunker they built was on the roof of private property too. They would use other people's fire escape ladders to get to it and travel across rooftops to get away from cops and stuff. They were pretty much lawless.

I would not correlate them as heroes or victims for Black History month. They were more along the lines of a cult/gang and they certainly did not do any good for people or good causes.

The bomb was very dumb though. Burned down a whole neighborhood and killed a lot of people. They should have used tear gas or something to subdue them and just arrest them. Using a bomb was just complete overkill.

Like I said, the whole thing was a complete mess. Nobody was in the right. Nobody deserves to be honored for that conflict.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_the_Fire_Burn

Wikipedia says they tried tear gas first and it didn't work.

Slayven

Sounds like a fucked up situation that didn't stop escalating until a bomb was dropped. Not so much a racial conflict, but definitely some of the worst judgement from government officials in recent memory.

Edit: Also it really feels like a big chunk of the people posting in this thread only read the title.
Only reason bombing was on the table is because they were black. No way they would have done that shit in a white neighborhood.

Zaphrynn

Just.... just wow. Wow.

Thank you for posting about this. I don't have time to read this now (going to class), but I plan on it. This is abhorrent. I have never heard of this, of course, because it's inconvenient to remember =\

Race definitely played a factor in this. They dropped a bomb in the middle of the city. In a black neighborhood. You best believe that would've never been "approved" if it was the mainline or a neighborhood in south Philly

Yep. I don't think the police commissioner would've essentially said let the motherfucker burn if it was an white middle-class neighborhood in the city.

JayDotZee

Banned
Oh, so they just applied the same protocol they used in central and south America, Africa, Asia, and a few times in Mexico.

Ao sad and infuriating, isn't it?

Only reason bombing was on the table is because they were black. No way they would have done that shit in a white neighborhood.

I'd argue the results would have been the same if it had been a white anarcho-primitivist commune doing the same thing.

Dai101

Banned

Indeed.

cxOFyVd.png

I'd argue the results would have been the same if it had been a white anarcho-primitivist commune doing the same thing.
Well it happened at Waco but that compound was in the middle of nowhere and setting it on fire was a mistake.

I'm not familiar with Philly but I'm trying to imagine something like this happening in DC in a place like Georgetowne and I just can't fathom it.

lednerg

Again, this wasn't a "house" out there by itself like Waco or what have you. It was a rowhome, with neighbors directly attached to it. The fire only had to spread a foot in either direction, which is exactly what happened as they let it burn.

http://i.imgur.com/0LaomKl.jpg

The bombing is bad enough, it's the refusal to put the fire out (presumably to burn Move members to death) that makes a bad situation turn to pure evil.

Malyse

ITT: Clearly in training for the Mental Olympics later this year, posters on NeoGAF bend and contort their thinking to say that this unquestionably race related incident had nothing to do with race. And people wonder why things are so fucking slow to get better.

Sadsic

to be fair MOVE was basically a cult and had done a lot of nutty things over like a 15 year period beforehand, like changing everyone's last name to "Africa" and living in extreme squalor with many children; as well, everyone was taught that John Africa was their father and that they had all been reborn and were only 1 years old for some reason

that being said, the Philly government was (and probably still is to some degree) insanely racist, and spent much of its police force attacking anyone it considered an "outsider", such as black people, liberals, lgbt community, etc

the previous mayor frank rizzo was both police commissioner and mayor for over 20 years and still had quite a bit of influence up until the early 90s when he finally died, and he was an incredible racist, sexist, homophobic, etc

dave is ok

aztek is ok
ITT: Clearly in training for the Mental Olympics later this year, posters on NeoGAF bend and contort their thinking to say that this unquestionably race related incident had nothing to do with race. And people wonder why things are so fucking slow to get better.
They were an extremist cult who built a bunker on their roof and started shooting at the police. It wasn't an 'unquestionably race related' incident.

I'm constantly saddened and amazed by how much of America's shameful history has been deliberately forgotten and brushed under the rug. At least we have the ability to search out and uncover said history.

They were an extremist cult who built a bunker on their roof and started shooting at the police. It wasn't an 'unquestionably race related' incident.

It's like you're deliberately ignoring the widespread damage to the actual neighborhood full of civilians unrelated to MOVE, that they deliberately let get worse.

Geist-

Well it happened at Waco but that compound was in the middle of nowhere and setting it on fire was a mistake.

I'm not familiar with Philly but I'm trying to imagine something like this happening in DC in a place like Georgetowne and I just can't fathom it.
I totally forgot about Waco. What a clusterfuck.

While one of the worst 20th century racial attacks ever conducted, it's also 60 years prior and not the police/white militant group standoff that I was asking for.

Ragnaros

Banned
It's kind of crazy how many people don't know about this in Philadelphia even. I didn't find out until a few years ago. Well into my 20's.

I wish I knew older people (both black and white) that were living in the city at the time to discuss it with further.

The conversation now is only, "Wow, that was fucked up."

Slayven

They bombed a residential neighborhood and let it burn...

If you can't see why it happened and how it is fucked up. I feel sorry for you, but mostly I feel for humanity.

to be fair MOVE was basically a cult and had done a lot of nutty things over like a 15 year period beforehand, like changing everyone's last name to "Africa" and living in extreme squalor with many children; as well, everyone was taught that John Africa was their father and that they had all been reborn and were only 1 years old for some reason

that being said, the Philly government was (and probably still is to some degree) insanely racist, and spent much of its police force attacking anyone it considered an "outsider", such as black people, liberals, lgbt community, etc

the previous mayor frank rizzo was both police commissioner and mayor for over 20 years and still had quite a bit of influence up until the early 90s when he finally died, and he was an incredible racist, sexist, homophobic, etc

Nobody in that fire or police department gave a flying fuck about children when those fires were blazing. They had a score to settle with Move and literally went scorched earth to get some payback. Sick fucks.

Slayven

Nobody in that fire or police department gave a flying fuck about children when those fires were blazing. They had a score to settle with Move and literally went scorched earth to get some payback. Sick fucks.

Easy to do sick shit, when you see the targets as less than human

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Couple of things.

Its 2016 and more than 50% of those house that were rebuilt after the fire ARE STILL EMPTY DUE TO SHODDY WORKMANSHIP!

Ever heard these lyrics?

The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire,
We don't need no water let the motherfucker burn,
Burn motherfucker burn.

Yup, based on the MOVE FIRE.

The Bombing of West Philly gives you a very even recount of the issues that led up to that. As a small black child growing up in West Philly at the time, that day was like 9/11, no hyperbole at all.

Edit: Also they have a 10 foot statue of that Head busting Mayor Frank Rizzo in front of City Hall still.

Mayor Gangster

Malyse

It's like you're deliberately ignoring the widespread damage to the actual neighborhood full of civilians unrelated to MOVE, that they deliberately let get worse.

I mean, really.

Valhelm

contribute something
I was just thinking about the MOVE bombings this morning. It's the most violent instance of police brutality in modern American history, but so few people know about the attack.

My parents, reporters in Philadelphia at the time, remember the incident quite well. While they only covered the protests and immediate reaction (most Philadelphians were actually horrified, and the outcry prevented Mayor Wilson Goode from winning reelection), their friend Sam was one of the first journalists on the scene. Last month, Sam told me about his experiences the day after the 1985 bombing. Philadelphia police, hoping to hide their dirty laundry, tried to hide the location of the former MOVE building. Osage Avenue had been so badly damaged by the fires that no addresses could be read, but Sam snuck past a police barrier to see a forensic crew digging through the remains of the MOVE headquarters. One of the men lifted up a sheet of metal, and underneath was the burned skull of a child.

Ramona Africa, one of the only survivors of the MOVE bombing, later worked with my parents and Sam pretty extensively. She would later spend seven years in prison for her involvement with MOVE, a nonviolent group.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I'm not. 61 houses burned down. It was the most massive fuck up Philadelphia's history by far. Thankfully the homes were evacuated or the death toll would have been even worse

Philly born and raised here. Just a few points.

Wilson Goode is African American. It wasn't a racist thing.

MOVE was not deemed a terrorist organization without merit. They made many threats of violence over the years and were heavily armed.

The cops absolutely handled things badly and this is a scar on my city's history. However, these also weren't a bunch of peaceful hippies who drew the ire of the powerful. This was a bad situation all around.

This is what I came here to post. Gaf gonna gaf though and turn this into white cops hate minorities thread. Again.

It's kind of crazy how many people don't know about this in Philadelphia even. I didn't find out until a few years ago. Well into my 20's.

I wish I knew older people (both black and white) that were living in the city at the time to discuss it with further.

The conversation now is only, "Wow, that was fucked up."

I only found out about it in 2004 (I was 17) myself after hearing a song about the incident titled "Operation: MOVE" by Leftöver Crack. I really liked the song so I looked up the lyrics, which then led me to doing extensive research on it. It's certainly not something that's remembered or talked about often, that's for sure.

Ever heard these lyrics?

Burn motherfucker burn.

That was released before the bombing. This one, however, was indeed written about it!

So stand up, and save your neighborhood
Fuck the city, burn it down

tim.mbp

Ever heard these lyrics?

Burn motherfucker burn.

I don't think that's accurate. The Roof Is on Fire came out in 1984

Deku Tree

Couple of things.

Its 2016 and more than 50% of those house that were rebuilt after the fire ARE STILL EMPTY DUE TO SHODDY WORKMANSHIP!

Ever heard these lyrics?

Burn motherfucker burn.

The Bombing of West Philly gives you a very even recount of the issues that led up to that. As a small black child growing up in West Philly at the time, that day was like 9/11, no hyperbole at all.

Edit: Also they have a 10 foot statue of that Head busting Mayor Frank Rizzo in front of City Hall still.

Mayor Gangster

http://articles.philly.com/2010-05-10/news/24958909_1_move-fire-ramona-africa-lyrics

"The Roof Is on Fire" was released by Rock Master Scott and the Dynamic Three six months before the MOVE conflagration.

The lyrics, which had nothing to do with the incident, became a popular dance-floor chant:

"The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire. We don't need no water, let the motherf----- burn. Burn, motherf-----, burn."

Sadsic

i agree, evrything ive heard about philadelphia from the 50s-early 90s makes them sound terrible essentially because of mayor rizzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom