• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops II official site is up

Something I noticed...

How is this a Cold War?

First game was 'off the books' stuff... but these screenshots just look like MW2-3 but with future stuff o_O.

The flames and the wolf tattoo above it look the same but you should be able to see the "SOG Tough" part of that tatt in the pic.

Also the USMC tattoo looks different too.

Nizz

Huh. The netcode WAS a disaster on PS3.
Not to mention the framerate was nowhere near as fluid as an IW developed COD. I've got my issues with MW3, but IW can code the shit out of PS3. Game runs solid.

The setting for Black Ops 2 looks interesting but if it runs the same way Blops did on PS3 than no sale. I did like some of the changes Black Ops brought to the table but the game was a mess technically.

Goldrusher

Image from Joystiq, didn't see it posted already:

Walking tank

iW6sOM0VcDjaE.gif

Jb

I hope they bring back Gary Oldman. His Oscar nomination probably made him more expensive to book, but if they have to choose I'd rather they drop Worthington to pay Oldman's check.

popeutlal

So unlike the last year's COD game, this one actually has some modern warfare in it. So 'Call Of Duty 9: Modern Warfare 4: Black Ops 2' is an apt title.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Was kind of hoping for an 1980s setting.

I think you'll be happy. I think this is just a tease... there's going to be some twists and turns when the full trailer comes out. They won't just throw away Mason.

coldfoot

Banned
A couple of points:
BLOPS PS3 version was bad because IW at the time did not give them the MW2 engine which ran great on the PS3. So their code was forked from WaW which was forked from COD3 I think. The reason for that was that IW did not share their engine with Treyarch.

So now that those secretive IW guys have left the company, they will probably base this game from the same MW2 engine that they did MW3 from, or maybe even the MW3 engine, so we get proper netcode, as BLOPS netcode is inferior to MW3 or even MW2 netcode on both platforms.

So I don't think the PS3 version should be any worse than the PS3 version of MW3, which was just fine.

Second: MW2 and MW3 campaigns are garbage nonsensical crap. BLOPS had an awesome 60's campaign and I wish they kept it there.

Izick

It's probably been said, but this has been bugging me since I read the thread earlier (but couldn't respond at the time):

The Black Ops sub-series of games don't really have a solid identity yet because only one game has come out in the series. This sort of reminds me of when people were up in arms about Bioshock: Infinite, which, I will admit, I was as well. The thing is, the sequels to Black Ops, or any other game for that matter dictate the tone and what the series as a whole is about; not the preconceived notions within our minds.

With this next game, it's looking to show that the Black Ops series is about the seedier, usually quieter parts of wars, or conflicts. Not necessarily quieter in terms of tone, but rather what the "public" sees or what we don't see; stuff that won't be in the history books. It will likely have quite a few sneaky, espionage parts as it does action set-pieces.

Now, how can a Cold War be this action packed and explosive, as the screens indicate? Well, a cold war between Russia and America occurred, but it goes beyond those two countries. There are constantly conflicts going in other, smaller countries that the U.S. or Russia wanted to control, and each superpower had to watch how much they intervened, as to not anger the other superpower, and set off a full war. You see, it's always a cold war between countries as long as there is no direct physical war between the two. although sometimes there is espionage. That means when the U.S. intervenes in a smaller country, that had former Soviet presence, it didn't mean that they were necessarily attacking Russia, rather it was just another piece they thought they could take during this cold war chess game, before it ended, or it became a full-on real war.

Now, with that out of the way, I have to say that I can't believe it, but I'm really intrigued. I, like many others, was fed up with what felt a little too rehashed to me, so I skipped out on MW3, but while they likely aren't changing the engine or major mechanics, a different, fresher setting could definitely get me back on board once again.

Alias03

I know all signs point to this taking place in the near future but I'm thinking that maybe (Woods) is being interviewed and retelling prior "black ops" for an over arching story? That way the game can still take place in the 60's after Black Ops and lead up to the present day? Something very big could've happen back then with a rippling effect on the future. Just a thought I had.

Top Bottom