• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Panther - Official Trailer

Black people are type casted as the materialistic vultures of white society. Having two black men fight over wakanda when white society is what has them in solitude to begin with, feels short sighted and almost petty, no matter how great wakanda is.

Different take, wouldn't that basically mean the most powerful people on Earth are two black men? Isn't that better than going up against some white dude?

LotusHD

Banned
Black people are type casted as the materialistic vultures of white society. Having two black men fight over wakanda when white society is what has them in solitude to begin with, feels short sighted and almost petty, no matter how great wakanda is.

This is a movie primarily about the Wakandan people dealing with their own shit , I care not what outsiders think :p

The Kree

Banned
Don't he have that "too woke" look

DMRB4LQV4AEMERV.jpg

You know he is going to call women "Queens" or "Females"

If he was a Dear White People background extra just nodding like "Yup" he wouldn't be out of place.

Neece

Who said anything about DC?

Just cause the universe is the same doesn't mean they all have to feel and look the same. The separated heroes all used to feel distinct, the directing and art of their worlds were dinstinctive to each particular character. Cap was grimy war time, Ironman was modern military, Thor was scifi fantasy, Guardians was 80s pop scifi.

But at some point they all started to look like the Avengers world. And now Thor 3 just looks like a Guardians movie (although still looks great). Now Black Panther looks too much Avengers sterile tech world, not nearly enough of the African culture influence. I think it comes down to the direction, framing, lighting, set design and CG etc all looking very similar across movies

Eh. Not sure I quite follow.

On another note, I can't express how happy it makes me to see a blockbuster movie allowing black women (and men) to show their natural hair in various styles, from sexy, to fun, to majestic, badass, to casual. That shit is revolutionary to be honest.

This thread is crazy. This movie is going to be a Rorschach test for racism. I hope it does big box office otherwise Hollywood will turtle on diverse casting again.

Even if this is the most financially successful and critically acclaimed Marvel film, I doubt it will change much about how Hollywood films are produced.

Get Out and Girls Trip were both successful, but do you think they changed how the Hollywood system does things? People pretend all Hollywood cares about is making money but let's be real, Hollywood is an old boys club with gatekeepers that like to do things certain ways.

Hollywood in general believes that people of color will watch white folks and that whites won't watch people of color, not much is going to change that.

Kaizer

Banned
Don't he have that "too woke" look

DMRB4LQV4AEMERV.jpg

You know he is going to call women "Queens" or "Females"

Looks like the type of dude to always be posting positive shit about women & relationships then it out he's just a fuccboi who's got like three baby mommas. Could see him on Love & Hip Hop easily.

So the question remains how did SHIELD gain the invisibility cloak tech for their Helicarrier?

Did they develop it themselves or did Wakanda share some of it's technologies.

Neece

Even if this is the most financially successful and critically acclaimed Marvel film, I doubt it will change much about how Hollywood films are produced.

Get Out and Girls Trip were both successful, but do you think they changed how the Hollywood system does things? People pretend all Hollywood cares about is making money but let's be real, Hollywood is an old boys club with gatekeepers that like to do things certain ways.

Hollywood in general believes that people of color will watch white folks and that whites won't watch people of color, not much is going to change that.

The key, I think, at least when it comes to getting more big budget black films will be how this performs internationally. Between them, Get Out and Girls Trip only made around $100 million internationally. I'm not sure if that is the studios fault for not pushing them as strong, but I see people using that as a point of contention when the topic of more big budget films for people of color is brought up.

The Fast and Furious movies are the huge counter points since the international audience eats them up, but even then people find a way to say it doesn't count. I want to say Black Panther smashing box offices around the world would be the final nail in the coffin to the argument/excuses used to not greenlight big budget black films, but I can already foresee people saying the Disney/Marvel bubble is the reason why it was successful and dismissing it that way.

Being an idiot is believing there has never been one Wakanda asshole who decided to spill the beans about the tech to the world. Ever. Or the neighbouring countries never noticing anything, ever. Or ignoring the fact colonialist countries would have tried to take over and make note of why they couldn't. A country being more advanced doesn't make them gods able to control the world, if SHIELD looked they would find out, Hydra too.

Atlantis comparison already been covered

Atlantis:
- A city
- At bottom of sea
- Nobody knows about it (is a myth at best)
- Doesn't interact with surface people.

Wakanda
- An entire country
- Landlocked between other nations
- Is known about
- Interacts with the world
- Draws attention to itself with its super metal.

See how one is more believably hidden?

Bonus, Wonder Woman!

- An island
- In middle of the ocean
- Nobody knows of it
- Cannot be seen
- Doesn't interact with outside world

Savage Land is stupid though. That shit woulda been discovered a million times already.

SHIELD and Hydra do know about Wakanda, though. Ergo, Bruce mentioning Wakanda in Age of Ultron and Tony and Steve instantly looking shook. There are Wakandans that have tried to sell the country out. Some have succeeded. Klaw, one of the movie's villains, is in the midst of telling an intelligence agency about what little he's seen of the country in the trailer, but very few people would believe him, and he has no reason to run the streets telling everybody. He wants the vibranium and Wakandan tech to himself. Nobody doesn't notice anything, it's just that very few of them do. And those people are either not believed by anyone or else silenced by the Wakandans, who have more than enough resources to protect themselves.

To answer your question directly, no, mermaids living in a city underwater are not more believable than an African country sitting on a natural resource that is extremely valuable and using it to its advantage to become supremely advanced and remaining largely isolated from the world. That you think they are is extremely troubling. Seek help.

Being an idiot is believing there has never been one Wakanda asshole who decided to spill the beans about the tech to the world. Ever. Or the neighbouring countries never noticing anything, ever. Or ignoring the fact colonialist countries would have tried to take over and make note of why they couldn't. A country being more advanced doesn't make them gods able to control the world, if SHIELD looked they would find out, Hydra too.

Atlantis:
- A city
- At bottom of sea

Wakanda
- An entire country
- Is known about

Bonus, Wonder Woman!

- An island
- In middle of the ocean
- Nobody knows of it
- Cannot be seen

Savage Land is stupid though. That shit woulda been discovered a million times already.

The trailers already explain this. Wakanda created a RUSE country that sits in the International stage. However it is depicted like any normal African country. Foreigners can enter that segment This second trailer shows a portion of it hidden in an invisible cloak which houses it's technological advancements.

Did you already forget about Freeman's and Serkis' interaction in the first trailer?

For all we know right now that cloak can be a mountain range that is solid enough for people to walk on. And only certain sections can be opened for entry. I don't know till the movie shows what it actually is.

The Kree

Banned
So the question remains how did SHIELD gain the invisibility cloak tech for their Helicarrier?

Did they develop it themselves or did Wakanda share some of it's technologies.

I would guess that Howard Stark came up with it initially and it probably took them some time to scale it up enough for a helicarrier after he was gone. I doubt SHIELD could hide a whole country though.

atr0cious

Different take, wouldn't that basically mean the most powerful people on Earth are two black men? Isn't that better than going up against some white dude?
I don't mind them fighting, but to end the movie with one physically beating the other as if that's the only answer to our conflicts, immediately raises red flags. I don't know if this movie can pretend the real world doesn't exist like the others do, which some posters in this thread have proven.
This is a movie primarily about the Wakandan people dealing with their own shit , I care not what outsiders think :p
The movie is overtly political and will be treated as such when it releases next year, especially in regards to how MBJ is handled.

redfox088

Banned
I don't mind them fighting, but to end the movie with one physically beating the other as if that's the only answer to our conflicts, immediately raises red flags. I don't know if this movie can pretend the real world doesn't exist like the others do, which some posters in this thread have proven.
The movie is overtly political and will be treated as such when it releases next year, especially in regards to how MBJ is handled.
Oh most definitely...even the sampled track is from a known black Panther...it’s releasing in Black history month....the political overtones will be present in full force

just watch the trailer again for who know how many times. man Boseman just look cool. I wonder if he is positioned to take the Tony Stark mantle in phase 4 and forward. I mean as the central character for MCU like Iron Man has been so far.

at first I thought Dr Strange will fill that role, but he kinda come and go. had a whole movie for himself, but the movie is very stand alone and didn't feel central to MCU yet. maybe Ragnarok and Infinity War will change that.

I think ideally in phase 4, the MCU will have their own trinity with Dr Strange, Blank Panther and Captain Marvel

redfox088

Banned
just watch the trailer again for who know how many times. man Boseman just look cool. I wonder if he is positioned to take the Tony Stark mantle in phase 4 and forward. I mean as the central character for MCU like Iron Man has been so far.

at first I thought Dr Strange will fill that role, but he kinda come and go. had a whole movie for himself, but the movie is very stand alone and didn't feel central to MCU yet. maybe Ragnarok and Infinity War will change that.

I think ideally in phase 4, the MCU will have their own trinity with Dr Strange, Blank Panther and Captain Marvel
I co-sign this.

Man after this movie comes out they better get Coates off the BP book, everybody gonna run out wanting to read a BP book only to find Coates writing an incompetent fool, who relies on other people to help him fight regular people.

As long as Carol isn't as boring as she is in the comic books.

Keikaku

Atlantis:
- A city
- At bottom of sea

Wakanda
- An entire country
- Is known about

Bonus, Wonder Woman!

- An island
- In middle of the ocean
- Nobody knows of it
- Cannot be seen

People have literally broken down all these points for you. There have been multiple posts discussing exactly why Wakanda is not some crazy unbelievable thing...and yet you're either dense enough not to get it or deliberately being obtuse.

Things that you were able to suspend your disbelief more for than a nation of African people who manage to keep their country mostly secret and cut off from the rest of the world (like, ya know, the real world parallels of North Korea or the Soviet Union at the start of the Cold War or Japan up until the Perry Expedition or various other real-life situations):
- A random US special ops soldier who exclusively uses a bow with superhuman accuracy to fight aliens rampaging through New York, superhumans, mutants and killer robots lifting a literal city 1000s of feet into the air despite not being superhuman in any way
- A mild-mannered physicist who turns into a creature of pure rage when he gets angry. Said creature will never let him die, likely can never die, has destroyed major portions of entire cities and can leap multiple miles at a time.
- SHIELD having carriers held up by giant turbine fans (lul)
- A scientist from the 1930s/40s developing a method of transferring his consciousness to a computer system based on vacuum tubes and fricking tapes
- Nazis creating superweapons based on glowing, magical, space-McGuffins
- A rich, super-smart industrialist who creates a suit of armor, complete with a power source of near-limitless power/capacity out of of scrap in a cave in Afghanistan where he was captured by some vaguely-but-not-really-but-possibly-Taliban-esque people. Good thing those dumb brown folks didn't at any point think to stop this dude from building his unstoppable suit of armor.
- Space gods who might be actual gods
- Fucking mermaids
- Fucking mutants on a city on the moon (a place we've landed, explored and thoroughly mapped even in this reality)
- A talking racoon
- A talking tree

Literally any of these situations/characters falls apart under the barest scrutiny with real logic. Now, you've tried to apply real logic in only the case of the Ultra Hidden African Nation as opposed to any of the equally ridiculous things and you're wondering why you're being called out on it.

HMMMMM, I WONDER WHY I'M BEING CALLED OUT ON THIS? WHY, WHAT COULD IT BE?

The Kree

Banned

I think it's gonna be Wasp and Carol running things. Time for the boys to take a break. Panther is probably not going to actually be an Avenger in the way that almost everyone else is.

I think it's gonna be Wasp and Carol running things. Time for the boys to take a break. Panther is probably not going to actually be an Avenger in the way that almost everyone else is.

I think T'Challa is going to want to keep an eye on the Avengers, their shit has already killed 12 Wakandan people, including his father.

the Avengers have too much power for BP to not be in on what they're doing

Bleepey

I mean, at this point I don't know what you want man. This discussion is pretty much going in circles at this point. People have come up with ample evidence for why Wakanda doesn't "break" the established setting of the MCU & others have disagreed with it - that's okay. At the end of the day, it's a comic book story & things don't always totally lineup with reality. It's okay to suspend disbelief a little bit.

And even in our world, you can look at countries like North Korea or Japan as an example. North Korea a country that for the most part is still closed off & no one truly knowing what daily life is like there. Japan was a closed off society for many years & didn't give a shit about interacting or sharing shit with anyone for the most part for quite a long time. Hell, there are dozens of countries in Africa right now that most people probably have no idea about their culture, customs, people, history or government.

And as far as at least "one Wakandan asshole" slipping out the truth, the very first trailer of this movie details how there have been rumblings & rumors about the true nature of Wakanda for a very long time around the world, with no one being able to nail down anything concrete until now. So who's to say there haven't been attempts to invade/takeover Wakanda that were thrwarted, wiped out & supressed from the public at large? With the technological advancements they have, it wouldn't be hard to eliminate any external threats from the other underdeveloped nations that border them if problems did arise. It doesn't really seem that different to me than how we examine a country like North Korea with all the rumors & rumblings of the true nature of daily life there or how the citizens feel, etc.

My main thing about Wakanda is the "one asshole" will spill the beans.l I mean stop snitching can only get you so far. That and I would have thought if vibranium is making all that money what are its uses outside of frisbees? Is it a commodity like gold? Has the Wakandan govt diversified by engaging in all sorts of banking chicanery that allowed it to amass so much wealth?

redfox088

Banned
Of course it's going to be. It's a Marvel movie and so the protagonist has to fight their doppelgänger.
Well as a first gen African immigrant. It’s a fight between a homegrown African king versus an American raised exiled outsider. So it’s really deeper than rap. Most people don’t understand the complex and often hostile relationship Africans/African immigrants have with African Americans.

Bleepey

Well as a first gen African immigrant. It’s a fight between a homegrown African king versus an American raised exiled outsider. So it’s really deeper than rap. Most people don’t understand the complex and often hostile relationship Africans/African immigrants have with African Americans.

Yeah but what about African in the diaspora and Africans back home?

Famassu

Arguing with Stallion Dan is like arguing with a brick wall. There's no sense to it. Better just ignore him than entertain his blatantly obvious "i'm just asking questions" rhetorics

NEO0MJ

My main thing about Wakanda is the "one asshole" will spill the beans.l I mean stop snitching can only get you so far. That and I would have thought if vibranium is making all that money what are its uses outside of frisbees? Is it a commodity like gold? Has the Wakandan govt diversified by engaging in all sorts of banking chicanery that allowed it to amass so much wealth?

Vibranium is pretty much the strongest material on Earth that's also light and can absorb just about any impact with no effect. Priceless for weapon and armor making, and smart people can use it for more than that. Adamantium, the stuff in Wolverine, was a failed attempt at recreating it.

And they do diversify. A few years ago there was a story where Doom invaded Wakanda and took over all the vibranium so Black Panther was forced to use a kill switch that turned all vibranium to steel, making it worthless. When Reed talked to him later about how Wakanda was doing BP told him that they were fine as they made sure to invest their Vibranium money wisely and they they didn't need it to thrive.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

This is why the I'm willing to cut them a little slack on what we've seen of the villain. On the surface, that aspect looks kinda boring. But Killmonger being exiled and coming to Wakanda to reclaim a legacy that he thinks is his has some serious potential for the reasons you said. Moreso than crazy for no reason dude from Ant-Man, or anything like that.

Once someone here explained he was exiled, I instantly got his character. He's gonna do too much to prove that he's worthy of his Wakandan heritage.

Top Bottom