• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Sails S4 |OT| The End Is About To Begin - Sundays 9/8c on Starz

RedStep

Great finale, though there's one thing I'm still deciding on:

Whether Flint's fate was as presented or was a story told by Silver to quell the rebellion after murdering Flint on the island.

Evidence for it being true:
I want it to be.

Evidence for it being a lie:
Silver lies a lot
The birds suddenly flying away as it cut away from them
The scenes at the plantation being presented as "dreamy" while Silver told the story.
Jack's talk of "doesn't matter if the story is true or not, as long as it serves its purpose"

I feel it's intentionally ambiguous, but it's been hanging in there. Stark difference between a completely happy and really harsh ending.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Whether Flint's fate was as presented or was a story told by Silver to quell the rebellion after murdering Flint on the island.

I want it to be.

Silver lies a lot
The scenes at the plantation being presented as "dreamy" while Silver told the story.
Jack's talk of "doesn't matter if the story is true or not, as long as it serves its purpose"

I feel it's intentionally ambiguous, but it's been hanging in there. Stark difference between a completely happy and really harsh ending.

When Silver was talking about it, I had the same thought. And I thought Madi was going to call him out on it all sounding too good to be true when she mentioned having someone sent there before the Spanish arrived. But it turned out she just felt betrayed.

I want it to be true so badly. I'm #TeamReal just because the opening being a fabrication would be weird. That doesn't confirm that Thomas is actually there, but it does confirm someone actually was sent to investigate.

I want it to be.

Silver lies a lot

When Silver was talking about it, I had the same thought. And I thought Madi was going to call him out on it all sounding too good to be true when she mentioned having someone sent there before the Spanish arrived. But it turned out she just felt betrayed.

I want it to be true so badly. I'm #TeamReal just because the opening being a fabrication would be weird. That doesn't confirm that Thomas is actually there, but it does confirm someone actually was sent to investigate.

i was going to say the same thing about the cold open. that's the one thing that leans me in the direction of the work camp ending being real, but that entire sequence did have a very dreamlike quality about it that left it ambiguous

it also reminded me of one of Flint's quotes from season 1:

"Odysseus, on his journey home to Ithaca, was visited by a ghost. The ghost tells him that once he reaches his home, once he slays all his enemies and sets his house in order, he must do one last thing before he can rest. The ghost tells him to pick up an oar and walk inland. And keep walking until somebody mistakes that oar for a shovel. For that would be the place that no man had ever been troubled by the sea. And that's where he'd find peace. In the end, that's all I want. To walk away from the sea and find some peace."

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Finale Spoilers
And the final on-sea battle was awesome. Especially the Flint-Billy Bones fight up top. Wow!

That was damn good. And it was so satisfying when
Flint kicked Billy off his foot and he fell several hundred feet into the ocean. BYE.

jett

D-Member
I didn't expect
a happy ending for all. Highly convenient. :p

It was a nice end to the show. I'll miss Black Sails.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Same. The entire time I was thinking "Oh god, Silver really killed Flint and he's just telling everyone what they need to hear" - I figured we'd return to the scene from the beginning and the dude would answer "No" to the question of whether they were keeping Thomas at the camp.

I gave up on that theory when Madi didn't call Silver out on it being a lie though.

Wow....I'm still processing this but damn...what an amazing ending and it's crazy how good it became in season two and just got better and better until the end. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, didn't even feel like they extended the episode longer.

As soon as my friends watch the final later we are all going to start reading Treasure Island,

Edit:

Regarding Flint...the fact that the treasure is still burred leads me to believe Silver really killed him

Gnome

Regarding the finale and Treasure Island (show and book spoilers).
I kind of knew they would leave Flint's fate ambiguous, because in the novel they never actually say he's dead, just "gone" or w/e. It also implies the only people who would know his fate are Silver and Ben Gunn (who in the show is one of the men that goes with Flint and Silver back to the island where Silver pulls the gun on Flint), yet we can't really trust either character because Silver is a liar and Ben Gunn went crazy after being marooned on Treasure Island.

Also, I'm left wondering how Billy has a map to the treasure in the beginning of Treasure Island.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Ugh where is everyone seeing this? DirecTV had the other episodes up early On Demand but not the finale.

Starz app or Starz sub through Amazon Prime Instant. They put episodes up really early the day of for the big shows like Black Sails and Outlander. Weird DirecTV is slow with this one, episode airs in 45 minutes.

Dysun

They nailed it. What a great season, and wrap up to this show. I will miss it greatly

Leaving it semi-ambiguous about the truth of Flint in Savannah was a good cap to that story line, although I think it was real.

blah this is torture, I am trying to watch the new episode through the xbox app but it'll only play in spanish! The previous episode plays in english but 410 only plays in spanish

damn spanish at it again!

Avinexus

Yep, great finale. Glad they were able to end it well. Didn't want to see another show end with a shit finale.

They have dropped a few hints about Flint's fate in the current season. I hope its red herrings since i don't really like the build up they seem to be suggesting.

In episode 2 or 3 Silver asks Max what she was going to do with him, since she wasn't going to kill him. She says that she knows a place in florida where people are kept, people who aren't killed but lords in England want hidden away from society. Silver's eyes lighted up at that mention. An episode or two later, Silver casually asks Flint about Thomas, and whether he would give up the entire fight if he could be with Thomas again.

I think Silver is going to exile Flint to that "place" where he is reunited with Thomas again. As I said, I really don't like that ending since I feel James McGraw died when Miranda Barlow died, and bringing him back doesn't make any sense.

Nailed it!

While it was a bit of a fairy tale ending for the show, I didn't really like the finale. Captain Flint, the most fearsome pirate lord of the Caribbean, a name whispered to children in their sleep to remind them that the night is dark and full of terror, ends up as a plantation prisoner harvesting rutabaga's or something. Not exactly the spectacular ending I imagined for him. I really, really didn't like them bringing back Thomas, that felt cheesy and tacky and just wrong for the show.

While Long John Silver's ending was a bit more nuanced, I don't think it really matched up with the version of Silver we see 20 (?) years in Treasure Island, although Flint's speech at the end about how Silver will rue his decision to disappear from history for the rest of his life sort of lays down the path for what Silver becomes. Still, I would have preferred something a bit more profound and sad for Silver. Billy should have kept his promise and killed Madi, that would doubly serve as fodder for Silver having an enduring hatred of Billy Bones.

I really didn't like the ending for Max, Anne, Mary Read, and Jack Rackham. Mary Read was just tacked on and kinda pointless, just a wink and a nod to history buffs. It would have been far more realistic and poignant if after Max and Rackham gave their speeches to Grandma Guthrie, she just sighs and tells the two of them that civilized society cannot and will never work with pirates, as troops rush in to arrest the two of them. Pirates cannot trust civilization and vica versa.

There was a LOT of speechifying in this episode, and most of them felt unnatural and forced.

Still, it did wrap up the arcs for all the characters, and I appreciate having an ending. I think it could have been done better, but the show has been so fantastic over 4 seasons I can forgive them some need to write happy endings I guess.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Still, it did wrap up the arcs for all the characters, and I appreciate having an ending. I think it could have been done better, but the show has been so fantastic over 4 seasons I can forgive them some need to write happy endings I guess.

I really liked most of it, but I do agree with a lot of this. Too much happy ending in such a way that it felt as though the story had to contort to make it so. At the end, when it cut to Rackham talking to Read, it felt like I was suddenly watching Pirates of the Caribbean: The Series.

I don't agree that Silver's ending was more nuanced at all, though. They pulled the same trick twice in the same episode. Madi's asleep in the middle of a fight where ships collided ohnoshe'sdead - nvm - she's alive. And then - Madi will never forgive him for betraying him ! 5 minutes later - nvm - all good.

I expected this show to end on a similar note to the brutal one where we witnessed Blackbeard being keelhauled. What we got was nothing at all like that and one I don't entirely care for.

I don't know if the ending is really that happy. Flint's and Madi's war was an attempt to get meaningful recognition from the rest of society, and they both had to give it up for prudential reasons. Meaningful recognition is necessary to live a fulfilled life, and they'll both end up dying on the fringes of society.

Hyun Sai

I expected something else of the ending. That was really tame and like we were going for another season of the happy family of Rackham and cie. For all ballsy this show went, finale was pretty bland.

wazoo

I have yet to see the end of the season, but as a huge fan of the past seasons, I feel bored by the 4th one.

Amazing series and great until the end.

I was slightly disappointed with Flint's ending just because
I anticipated him and thomas being together in freedom w/ a part of the riches from the cache, rather than in slavery but maybe I am wrong about that.

Regarding the use of the spanish cache..
I still love that it was never unburied, treasure island series incoming

I will be rewatching this in the future

Honestly, I'm on team fake

For me, the essence of the Flint story Silver told was answered in the previous episode, where Flint tells him that even he can't concoct a story so good that people and expecially Mahdi will forgive him. But he's Long John fucking Silver, of course he can.

GeeTeeCee

I'm still not sure how Black Sails went from the trashy as fuck show I used to put on the TV as background noise back in Season 1 to one of the finest TV shows I've watched in recent memory, but I'm really glad it pulled it off. Superb television.

I kinda want to see their version of Treasure Island, if only to smooth over some of the minor inconsistencies between the two. I only recently read Treasure Island and it was a bit jarring going from the revolutionaries of Nassau to a gang of colossal fuck-ups drinking away their chance at finding treasure. Also, y'know,
fuck Billy
. I need closure on that.

hoos30

Honestly, I'm on team fake

For me, the essence of the Flint story Silver told was answered in the previous episode, where Flint tells him that even he can't concoct a story so good that people and expecially Mahdi will forgive him. But he's Long John fucking Silver, of course he can.

Bingo.

What an incredible finale to an incredible show. I was a little surprised everyone got a happy ending though, considering the true fates of many of those portrayed. That being said, I'm perfectly comfortable with Flint's fate being ambiguous.

Rymuth

I legit teared. Someone hold me. I'm such an emotional mess right now...

One thing -
I feel bad for not getting that 'dreamlike' quality hint that it might be all fake. I instantly said out loud "ugh, terrible blue screen" because of Starz and their budget which is why I was fully on board #TeamReal before coming into this thread

I'm still not sure how Black Sails went from the trashy as fuck show I used to put on the TV as background noise back in Season 1 to one of the finest TV shows I've watched in recent memory, but I'm really glad it pulled it off. Superb television.
It's the Spartacus maneuver. No, not that one the other one. Spartacus was a piece of garbage but got elevated into one of the most emotionally charged and satisfying Tv watching I have ever witnessed. Starz does it again. I don't know how but that's what they do best!

Hyun Sai

It's the Spartacus maneuver. No, not that one the other one. Spartacus was a piece of garbage but got elevated into one of the most emotionally charged and satisfying Tv watching I have ever witnessed. Starz does it again. I don't know how but that's what they do best!
Black Sails starts slow, but was never near the level of Spartacus first episodes lol.

Rymuth

Black Sails starts slow, but was never near the level of Spartacus first episodes lol.
Never said it was. Just that Starz show always end morphing into stellar TV that makes it hard to believe how we ended up *here* when you go back to the pilot.

Ruruja

It's all over. Pleasure chatting with you all about it over the years.

Great finale, really going to miss the show.

DarkNtity

The words "fruit....fruit.....tits....tits....plant....plant" will linger on as part of great televison.
This show was pure savagery from start to end.Seductively riveting with such a brilliant sendoff. Fuck, I'll miss this show.

Daemul

Damn good finale, now give me my Treasure Island adaptation!

Seriously though, if they do eventually adapt Treasure Island, I wonder who they'll bring back. Some of the main characters who survived the Black Sails finale are long dead by the time of Treasure Island.

gatti-man

I expected something else of the ending. That was really tame and like we were going for another season of the happy family of Rackham and cie. For all ballsy this show went, finale was pretty bland.

This was my take. I honestly hated the ending. Way too clean and tidy.

What I don't get is why Silver didn't mention Thomas right away while trying to persuade Flint instead of drawing his gun on him and heavily implying the only choice left was to kill him.

It's weird how they left things purposely ambiguous and yet every interview after the finale aired confirms that Flint is definitely alive. He pretty much has to be in order to draw up the map to the Arca gold that drives Treasure Island, but Silver's story is too neat and the way he reacted after he thought Mahdi didn't buy it felt telling.

Unbelievable show. I'm going to miss it terribly.

Sir Doom

BILLY!!!!! <shakes fist> why will you not die.

I'm happy with the ending everyone got a good resolution <except BILLY>

&#128532; going to miss the show. Will wait for complete series on Bluray

BILLY!!!!! <shakes fist> why will you not die.

I'm happy with the ending everyone got a good resolution <except BILLY>

&#128532; going to miss the show. Will wait for complete series on Bluray

Just in case we're still spoiler tagging Treasure Island things:
Billy Bones is in Treasure Island

I will also be purchasing the full series on bluray. Speaking of which, does anyone have any details on that?

that speech Flint gives to Silver was so god damn good. Kind of summarizes the whole focal point of this tv series as a prequel to Treasure Island.

I love the book but it is a children's adventure, and pirates in there are delegated to being full-on antagonists. Monsters moreso than anything.

And this show sort of repurposes that myth into them being tragic, rebellious antiheroes. Who are lost in rewritten history. And so later on we get Treasure Island and all sorts of other stories, with definitive heroes and villains.

Also
I prefer this ending of Flint dying by Silver's hands, rather than drinking himself to death. Its so much more personal, considering their friendship/partnership in this whole thing. Although his Treasure Island death would make a lot of sense if he lived at the end of this show WITHOUT thomas

Edit: actually I'm pretty damn confused about the treasure map stuff tho. Like how in the hell does the book happen now without any map or indication of flint revealing where the treasure lies

Maybe he is alive then. God damn I'm conflicted on what to conclude with here

Also man I gotta state again I love how much they humanized these characters. It will make the book a whole new experience now and I would really be down for them revisiting treasure Island from this brand new perspective in 10 or so years. Hope it happens.

silver is lying, he told a story about it to make her happy. Why would silver otherwise talk to flint like he did in the end scene on treasure island ? If he knew Thomas was on a farm why didn't he just say that instead of threatening to end it another way with the gun. It also fits silvers character to make this shit up

silver is lying, he told a story about it to make her happy. Why would silver otherwise talk to flint like he did in the end scene on treasure island ? If he knew Thomas was on a farm why didn't he just say that instead of threatening to end it another way with the gun. It also fits silvers character to make this shit up

Pretty simple. "There's only one way you're getting off this island, and that's if you agree to go see Thomas. He's alive. If you don't believe that, then I'm gonna shoot you where you stand."

Top Bottom