• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 |OT| Do Androids Dream of Electric Boogaloo? [Unmarked Spoilers]

JB1981

When the one-eyed lady shows up with the same picture K found at the compound 😂

Come on Denis. Give is a DC that removes this garbage

Dice//

Banned
I also thought he was just exhausted and leaned back to rest.

Most people think he died though.

>> YOU can save Gosling if the film does well enough at the box office for a third flick. :p

So far, looks like he's dead, literally, and maybe metaphorically for the series.

Whether he lived or died, it doesn't matter. His story-arch is over either way.

If I could count the number of times people have said this about movie characters who later get sequels, I'd... have to count for a while. He had a complete arc here but so did Deckard in BR, I can easily see him having a place in a third movie.

I also thought he was just exhausted and leaned back to rest.

Most people think he died though.

Would Deckard really peace out instead of at least thanking his savior before he died? That’s why I think he was just exhausted from his injuries and going 10 rounds with the Jackie Chan terminator.

I really liked the scene she had with K. That was another character with a tragic past and I couldn't help but feel sorry for her current predicament.

Having her locked up in what is essentially a prison as a Replicant was bad, then we find out she's half human and that messed with me even more.

I don't think her humanity was in doubt. Don't you mean that they found out she was half-replicant by birth?

Moonkid

I think the music queue as he lies down is meant to signal he is going to die. It doesn't completely seal it but that's what I got from it.

JB1981

Would Deckard really peace out instead of at least thanking his savior before he died? That’s why I think he was just exhausted from his injuries and going 10 rounds with the Jackie Chan terminator.

Deckard asks K before going into the lab if he's going to be OK and K said yes. K died. Tears in Rain cements this

If I could count the number of times people have said this about movie characters who later get sequels, I'd... have to count for a while. He had a complete arc here but so did Deckard in BR, I can easily see him having a place in a third movie.

If this film ever does get another sequel, I think Ryan Gosling's agent will be smiling. Joe doesn't die on-screen.

III-V

I actually didn't know K died at the end until I came on here and read everybody's impressions. I thought he just kind of laid back and took a rest after all the shit he just went through. A moment of peace if you will.

I've seen the first one but it was a few years back and I don't remember much. I'll have to watch it again tonight.

How do we know he died? Looked like he was just exhausted.

I walked out of the theatre not thinking he died. First I heard was on GAF. SO I just asked my wife what she saw and she was like, yea, he died.

wtf how did I miss that

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I don't think her humanity was in doubt. Don't you mean that they found out she was half-replicant by birth?

I mean the twist after visiting her when you find out she's the half-human, not K. That added a whole new dimension to her imprisonment, even if she does seem to be optimistic and making the most of it.

Deckard asks K before going into the lab if he's going to be OK and K said yes. K died. Tears in Rain cements this

What is with this obsession some people here have to declare certainty over something they actually have no way of really knowing.. Did you write it? Has Villenueve made a statement on it? No. It's unknown, he doesn't die onscreen. If this movie were blowing up the BO I'd say we'd very likely see him again, but now I'm kind of expecting the franchise to be dead for another 30 years.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If this film ever does get another sequel, I think Ryan Gosling's agent will be smiling. Joe doesn't die on-screen.

Wallace recreated a copy of Rachel, so no doubt we would have a copy of K. Heck, throw in a CG young Deckard and Batty! Batty would become the leader of the dirty rebels though, and would say he saw things.

watershed

Banned
K is dead. The movie tells you this without a voice over literally saying "K Died". K checks his wound and he is clearly bleeding. He lies gingerly in the snow. He completed his mission and appears tired and content. He has nothing left to live for. Tears in the rain plays. He dies down on the steps and his entirely still. The film then cuts away from him. The movie is telling the viewer that K is dead.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Given the film's villain and machinations...that'd actually be kinda cool.

Next movie has Deckard and his daughter running away, and K2 is sent to hunt them down like the Terminator, but then real K shows up to defend them. Then they join up with the rebels of course, and it ends with a message about how humans replicants can live together, while Wallace screams "Nooooooooooooooo!" as he dies in some way while hearing this speech. Deckard dies, and K hooks up with his twin.

Jarmel

Banned
Of course, now they had to make it a messiah plot and make it about all of humanity's future and what not.

This was the OPPOSITE of a messiah plot. It turned the idea of a 'chosen one' completely on its head. You repeatedly bringing this up means you didn't understand the plot.

Tacitus_

I walked out of the theatre not thinking he died. First I heard was on GAF. SO I just asked my wife what she saw and she was like, yea, he died.

wtf how did I miss that

Have you seen the first movie? The song playing in the background is Tears in the Rain, the same that played as Roy saved Deckard and accepted that he was going to die. Sure, it's ambiguous but that symbolism is a skyscraper sized death flag.

edgefusion

It's a plot hole in the sense that yes, the company wouldn't be producing replicants anymore, they would reproduce on their own. It doesn't explain how they would keep control over them, and clearly they don't already.

See, that's also what was great about the original BR movie, there was no big plot points to debate about endlessly, it was a tiny and completely inconsequential story in a big world. Some bad guys are on the run, take them down. Biggest deal was Tyrell being killed, and that probably was no more than a blip in the news paper with him having died of a heart attack or whatever. For the rest of the world, this little story changed nothing at all, those replicants were going to die anyway soon, it was just a bit of damage control.

Of course, now they had to make it a messiah plot and make it about all of humanity's future and what not.

How is it a plot hole? Wallace wants to know how to create replicants that can reproduce so he can mass-produce them. Presumably he would simply lock these replicants up in a factory and have them pump out babies, while the rest of the majority of replicants are still unable to reproduce.

And as has been explained already, there is no messiah plot. K is just another replicant.

It sounds like you fundamentally misunderstood the movie imo.

Wallace recreated a copy of Rachel, so no doubt we would have a copy of K. Heck, throw in a CG young Deckard and Batty! Batty would become the leader of the dirty rebels though, and would say he saw things.

He created a factory copy of Rachel, not a copy with all of Rachels experiences. Same goes for K, he could recreate him but not any of the experiences that made him who he is. That's sort of one of the movies central themes....

Just watched it and will now read some of the reactions here.
Having said that here are my two cents:

I liked it as a movie. It's a detective story that slowly unravels, offers beautifully crafted shots and some ideas that have been all too often philosophically debated.
As a "Blade Runner" movie though, I hated it.

Would Deckard really peace out instead of at least thanking his savior before he died? That's why I think he was just exhausted from his injuries and going 10 rounds with the Jackie Chan terminator.

Deckard asked him if he was ok and K lied to him and said yes. Deckard wasn't aware of the side wound.

#TeamKisDead

fade_

This was the OPPOSITE of a messiah plot. It turned the idea of a 'chosen one' completely on its head. You repeatedly bringing this up means you didn't understand the plot.

Once again the origami is heavy foreshadowing. K is just a sacrificial lamb.

Just got back from the cinema! Did not like this film! Was too long, felt like it had no direction and was saying a million different things at the same time, didn't like the way women's bodies were used, didn't feel like the plot had any real weight.

Felt like the AI girl was the real low point of the film, we had an entire movie based on the premise and here it is just an unexplained mess with barely any consideration of the socio-political implications. Sex scene was dumb and reminded me of that ghost movie. When she died I had no idea what to feel, except glad because I hoped the movie would end soon.

Saw this last night. One of the best films I've seen this year. Definitely enjoyed it more than the original (I've only seen the Final Cut). The pacing was deliberate but I never felt restless or bored. I was consistently engrossed in the narrative, the characters, and the atmosphere created by the gorgeous cinematography and pulsing sound design. This movie is going to stay with me for a while.

Decider

Left feeling like the original really was lightning in a bottle. I didn't have high expectations going in but it barely moved the needle beyond "indifferent" for me. The atmosphere of the original just seems to have evaporated.

I didn't hate it but didn't think it was especially brilliant either- I'll be very interested in how this is remembered when the initial hype dies down. I'm not even sure I'd watch it again, which is something I never thought I'd be saying about the Blade Runner sequel. I suspect I'll be mulling this over for some time, if only to try and find what other people enjoyed about it.

Have you seen the first movie? The song playing in the background is Tears in the Rain, the same that played as Roy saved Deckard and accepted that he was going to die. Sure, it's ambiguous but that symbolism is a skyscraper sized death flag.

Oh god, the snatches of Vangelis really put Zimmer's soundtrack to shame. So much character and atmosphere in a few twinkling notes.

Arkeband

Banned
The power went out in our theater at like one of the last scenes I assume (Gosling lying on the steps in the snow)

Everyone's sitting here like wtf. What a mood killer.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The power went out in our theater at like one of the last scenes I assume (Gosling lying on the steps in the snow)

It pretty much ends there. You might have missed Deckard seeing his daughter but they don't even really have an exchange.

You did miss the credits tho which had a great soundtrack and look to them.

People are actually thinking that K is still alive at the end? He clearly died...like there's not even a question if you're paying attention. xD

Was a beautiful scene, too. Loved the movie.

Moonkid

I didn't really care for the Fire scene despite Villeneueve's setpieces usually getting a kick out of me. I think it was mostly that it has no consequences for K as a character and just makes the trip feel contrived. Luv's part saves it but I feel like they could have achieved the same without making K feel redundant.

That sucks, but some here would say the movie is better that way :p.

Top Bottom