• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

tauroxd

mindful of spoilers, please, for those here who hasn't seen the movie :> ty :>

yeah, but we dont see these present on-screen in the movie? all the visible visual cues are of nubile female forms. WHYS THAT THO

i'd like to see variety pls

Given the state of the earth, that's probably accurate it's not like
there's plenty of food or stuff to eat to be curvy or fat. And replicants can and are used as sex dolls,
so of course they are like that.

EDIT: Sorry, Double post.

Amazing movie, might go watch it again since my medical insurance gives me one free movie ticket every week. Let them pay and save the box office numbers **

Off topic but......
What kind of medical insurance do this lol.
:D It's only if you walk more than x miles per week as an incentive to keep in shape, but since I walk to work every day I get that by default (I'm in the UK btw, apart from free tickets not really sure what the insurance does for me)

tauroxd

The only thing that would make you notice the length is your bladder.

That's why I go to the bathroom just before entering the movie and do not buy soda or water or any liquid to get into the movie.

For you. I felt it was way too long for what it had to say.

Disagree. It definitely feels like a 2.5hr long movie, but it's great. The guy with the wife need to watch the first before jumping into this though.

Well, I really was just amazed and stunned because I literally fell in love with the movie in the first shot, so I really thought time flew by.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Same. I could have easily sat through an hour more.

Yeah same for me. I mean there's no denying 2h45 is a decent chunk of time, but I just couldn't get enough. It's bittersweet knowing that this is all we're going to get for a long time, possibly ever. I continue to be glad this movie exists.

Lunaray

For you. I felt it was way too long for what it had to say.

Now that I've had a day to reflect on this, I agree that the screen time wasn't properly utilized. I don't think the movie was particularly nuanced or complex. Even the original, which I found good but overrated, managed to say more with less.

Rktk

I think it was the perfect length, it took it's time, the pacing and editing was so good.

The core subject of the conversation may not be Joe but his actions and current whereabouts were of importance to this subject and were brought up.
The conflict in the conversation stems from the Lt. unwilling to reveal the baby's and Joe's location.
Pretty weak argument I think for the film passing the Bechdel Test.

It's an example, if only one. Joe's whereabouts are indeed of great importance in the scene, but as you say it isn't really about him, I think the weakness is in Bechdel Test.

I saw the movie Friday with my friends, I loved it so mich that I rented the original and showed it to my girlfriend. She hated it, but I somehow convinced her to come to the movies and see it with me this afternoon.

I have been reflecting over this movies since i saw it. What a masterpiece.

JCHandsom

Hey that was me. I will take any opportunity I can to spread the word on UKL and PKD. :)

As someone who absolutely adores this film, I totally understand and respect anyone who feels excluded from the experience. There’s no need to justify your stance. Excluded is how you feel. And going along with one of the core takeaways from the movie, that is absolutely real.

If you do become interested in delving into the many interesting themes the film tries to explore, please come check out the spoilers thread. It's a bit of a beast but there's a ton of great discussion going on around the film, from literary inspirations, interpretations of love, production notes, scene breakdowns, and lots more.

Thanks BorkBork! Yeah that comment was awesome.

Davide

Civil War was 2.5 hours and it made over $1b and I didn't hear people saying they weren't going to it because of the length. This was just fifteen minutes longer.

JaseMath

Saw this last night and I can't remember the last time I've left the theater in such awe. It was long but never felt long and, honestly, it could've been an hour more and I would've been fine.

The guy 2 seats down from me started snoring loudly during the movie.

Is this really a thing? I always assumed people were exaggerating for effect when they said they slept through a film. FilmGAF seems to be full of accounts of people actually falling asleep and volubly snoring during a film, though.

tauroxd

Unless I get some more free time I'll probably end up waiting for the digital release.

Do yourself the favor of finding the time to whatch that amazing, incredible and beautiful audiovisual experience on theaters. You will not regret it.

Saw this last night and I can't remember the last time I've left the theater in such awe. It was long but never felt long and, honestly, it could've been an hour more and I would've been fine.

Many of the people I went with (about 15) said that they have never seen me going out of the theater as awed as I was (we usualy tend to go together to release days together).

And I really don't remember feeling in another movie what I felt with 2049.

Civil War was 2.5 hours and it made over $1b and I didn't hear people saying they weren't going to it because of the length. This was just fifteen minutes longer.

So was BvS. But both those movies are banking on people's desires to see superheroes clashing. Blade Runner 2049 doesn't have a hook like that. The trailers told you very little about what the movie was about. And "nearly 3 hours" sounds more intimidating than "2 and a half hours." It's a perception thing.

Is this really a thing? I always assumed people were exaggerating for effect when they said they slept through a film. FilmGAF seems to be full of accounts of people actually falling asleep and volubly snoring during a film, though.
I fell asleep to another sequel that did justice to the original: ID4 2. I was sitting down so snoring guaranteed.

Blade Runner is slow. It feels like your in the theater for more than 3 hours. The pacing of superhero movies are face pace and keeps you alert.

I fell asleep to another sequel that did justice to the original: ID4 2. I was sitting down so snoring guaranteed.

I usually do this thing when I'm interested in a film, it's sort of automatic. I literally sit on the edge of my seat and, if the seat in front of me is unoccupied, I lean forward.

I suppose if I leaned back my attention might stray. I could theoretically sleep, but that's not what I'm there for. I want my brain to be stimulated.

Is this really a thing? I always assumed people were exaggerating for effect when they said they slept through a film.

It's happened to me. Most notably, I slept through the majority of Revenge of the Sith, and the near entirety of one of LOTR films (it was either pt 2 or 3, but they all tend to blur together for me).

Civil War has an IQ of 40, and is all shootbang and one-liners. Blade Runner is atmosphere, style and reflection. General audiences will always flock to the former and underappreciate the latter.

By the way, did it bother anyone else how the foreign-language subtitles on-screen weren't timed to the audio and paid no attention to shot changes? It's just two scenes but I don't understand how you can be a perfectionist and not give a fuck about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom