• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 10•06-08•17 - Ponies trampled by Runner, Mountain Between #1 & #2

Is Spider-Man HC over GotG2 worldwide? What was it, about ~$870M. Justice League could probably top that. Unclear if it'll cross a billion, though.

As for Affleck, the three approaches are: he stays out of the promotional tour. he goes on the tour and they have it as one of the topics interviewers can't mention. he goes on the tour and is willing to own up to his wrongdoings. The third is unprecedented, so I bet it's one of the first two. Ideally the first.

Between Affleck and Whedon (will Whedon even be part of the junket, I wonder. Will Snyder?), that's an unfortunate amount of people in the news for the wrong reasons on one junket.

Sad reality is pretty much everyone already forgot about the Whedon stuff. So who knows about him.

It prolly won't. They gotta gag him and keep him out of the public eye when it's pr time tho

But I still think it ends up being highest grossing comic movie this year. But ultimately an appetizer compared to star wars obviously

Shame you'll be wrong because Thor is getting a billy.

And I'm sure Affleck is more than happy to tap out of the press junket this time around considering how we almost emotionally murdered him on the last one.

As for Affleck, the three approaches are: he stays out of the promotional tour. he goes on the tour and they have it as one of the topics interviewers can't mention. he goes on the tour and is willing to own up to his wrongdoings. The third is unprecedented, so I bet it's one of the first two. Ideally the first.

I feel like the second is most likely, but the third is what a smart PR rep would tell him to do right now instead of on the junket. Like, give someone an exclusive interview where you admit to wrongdoing and own up to your mistakes, and get it out there ahead of having to do press for the movie, hoping people will have let it blow over by then (or that more worse things come out between now and then, which is entirely possible right now).

Edit: That is, unless you pull a Nate Parker and fuck up the whole getting out ahead of it thing in the worst way possible by not admitting your mistakes at all.

Shame you'll be wrong because Thor is getting a billy.

And I'm sure Affleck is more than happy to tap out of the press junket this time around considering how we almost emotionally murdered him on the last one.

My thing with that is that I think that if everyone goes but him (Cavill/Miller/Gadot/Momoa/Fisher), then that becomes the thing everyone talks/writes about instead of talking about the movie.

Toa TAK

Banned
Thor ain't makin' that kind of cash.

It has the same chance of reaching a billion as I do being struck by lighting and living to tell the tale.

J_Viper

It's hard to say what happens with Affleck during press time. It'd be strange if he did no press for a movie he's the lead in, but if these accusations are still in the news as we close in on its premier, it might be for the best.

I guess Gal could handle all that stuff herself on account of her becoming a household name.

Thor ain't makin' that kind of cash.

It has the same chance of reaching a billion as I do being struck by lighting and living to tell the tale.
Watching The Mummy doesn't count?

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I think the question of whether Affleck is on the tour, and whether him being in the movie taints the whole thing, is really going to depend on how many more accusations come out. If it’s zero I could see people just forgetting. If there’s more I don’t know how WB can send him out there.

I doubt Whedon will be seen much, if at all.

kswiston

I'm more interested in seeing if Thor can hit $300M domestic.

The current tracking of $100-110M would have to go up, but not by all that much. A $120-130M opening would do it.

I had problems getting tickets for BR2049 for my usual movie going day and cinema was packed so maybe international won't be so bad.

kswiston

MV5BYjBiMDZkM2YtNGEwOC00YjA0LTkxNGUtMzgxMGFjNTczOWY1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjY2OTU0MTg@._V1_UY268_CR5,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Synopsis: A male UFC boxer switches bodies with the female reporter who exposed his bribes. Now they must help each other win the championship.

This is going to easily pass $300M in China. It is currently sitting at around $250M

All right, time for my dumb prediction: both Justice League and Thor will end up in the 750 / 850 mil range worldwide.
If I'm right, I win... The Gambit movie actually happening.

I've already won, hooray!

MV5BYjBiMDZkM2YtNGEwOC00YjA0LTkxNGUtMzgxMGFjNTczOWY1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjY2OTU0MTg@._V1_UY268_CR5,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Synopsis: A male UFC boxer switches bodies with the female reporter who exposed his bribes. Now they must help each other win the championship.

This is going to easily pass $300M in China. It is currently sitting at around $250M

That synopsis sounds pretty fun, actually.

What has Whedon supposedly done? Or is this in reference to his ex-wife's claims about his affair and him supposedly being a hypocrite feminist and whatnot?

Right now I'm leaning $300-$315 Domestic for Thor

And $750-$800 WW Gross for Thor

If its as good as with think it will be

also this is gonna be a moment I toot my own horn for my Spidey Homecoming predictions since its run is essentially over. I don't always make good ones, but I feel I had my finger on the pulse of that film performance pretty well :)

Opening Domestic weekend prediction - $115 million, off by less than 2%
Domestic Total Prediction - $330 million, off by less than 1%
WW Total Gross - $900 million, off by 2.5ish%

Yeah I'll take that

Between Affleck and Whedon (will Whedon even be part of the junket, I wonder. Will Snyder?), that's an unfortunate amount of people in the news for the wrong reasons on one junket.

The infidelity story didn't seem to get much traction so I don't think that hurts Whedon. However I think it's problematic to have him on the tour if Snyder isn't there as well. Do we even know what the final credit situation looks like yet? I think the DGA would have a shit fit if Whedon starts doing heavy press for JL.

Affleck will probably bow out but I think having Gal Gadot front in center was always in the cards since Wonder Woman hit so big so the loss of Affleck will probably be minimized.

The infidelity story didn't seem to get much traction so I don't think that hurts Whedon. However I think it's problematic to have him on the tour if Snyder isn't there as well. Do we even know what the final credit situation looks like yet? I think the DGA would have a shit fit if Whedon starts doing heavy press for JL.

Affleck will probably bow out but I think having Gal Gadot front in center was always in the cards since Wonder Woman hit so big so the loss of Affleck will probably be minimized.

I believe they're giving Whedon some form of writing credit, and Snyder still gets sole directing credit.

Pharaun

It would still be weird to not have Batman on the press tour for the Justice League movie.

Slayven

Slayven's hot take:

Write this down Kswiss, I think Thor will do 800 mil thanks to great legs and over performing with Hispanics and African Americans, especially women.

Why would the DGA care who does the press, as long as Snyder is still credited as the director?

The DGA is very protective of directors and their credits. Putting Whedon on tour without Snyder sends a message on who the "real" director of the final cut is. It's probably not a violation of their bylaws but I think it would be a very poor move politically.

Slayven's hot take:

Write this down Kswiss, I think Thor will do 800 mil thanks to great legs and over performing with Hispanics and African Americans, especially women.
What's so Hispanic about Thor? Not that I need Hispanic themes for me to watch but out of all Marvel movies Thor might be the whitest of them all and for good reason. They're Norse gods!

Slayven

As a latino, why should we give a shit?

Cause they turn out for superhero movies. Only 49% of Homecoming's domestic audience was white. 39% of Suicide squad tickets was Hispanic and African American. Minorities love superhero films

jett

D-Member

I wonder how many minutes it will take me to forget that barely-a-side-character's name after the movie ends.

Do you really base your movie going experience on that?

I'm not gonna miss Thor cos it doesn't have a gay character ....

Unless Bucky n Cap make a cameo

lol I absolutely do not care

It's Slayven saying latinos are gonna come out in droves for Thor for some reason.

Slayven

I wonder how many minutes it will take me to forget that barely-a-side-character's name after the movie ends.

lol I absolutely do not care

It's Slayven saying latinos are gonna come out in droves for Thor for some reason.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/thor-ragnarok-box-office-opening-projection-1202187006/

Thor Ragnarok, the third in the series, hit tracking this morning, and it’s looking at a $100M-$110M start per industry figures with enormous strength among the four quadrants: very strong with families, Hispanics and African Americans. Thor: Ragnarok in tracking has an enormous 85% in total awareness, 29% in unaided (those polled say it’s a movie they want to see without being prompted on the title — that number is huge), 61% definite interest, and 24% first choice (when you’re in the double digits at that level, that’s excellent)

Not like i am saying it in a vacuum

They'd have to try very hard to make the lead hero's love interest who's had a long storied history of being a strong and independent character completely and utterly forgettable.

All you people and your negative expectations for Thor. smh

Speaking of which, I do still need to actually see BR2049 in theaters. I doubt it will be as praised as a home release, despite getting its audience with it.

DJChuy

I contributed $20 to Happy Death Day yesterday. I actually thought it was decent. It was about 1/4 full in my theater. The Foreigner had about the same amount of people last night from what I've seen.

Top Bottom